5.0 out of 5 stars Very nice fleece vest
Published on June 28, 2008 by April

3.0 out of 5 stars AN OK VEST ...
Published on October 26, 2006 by Rocfela

3.0 out of 5 stars AN OK VEST ..., October 26, 2006
I really like Columbia Sportswear Jackets, so decided to try the vest ... The fabric is the same soft, warm, fleece as the jackets but the fit in the vest seems awkward ... For instance the XL in the jacket is a perfect fit for me, but in the vest I had to exchange the XL for a L ... The vest seems to run a size larger, and I think it would be a better design had they also included the bottom draw strings on the vest as they have on the jackets (being that the vests cost as much as the jackets) ... Had I been able to find a brown vest in the style of a black one I got from Land's End I would have returned this L also ... Bottom line for me Columbia Sportswear Jackets 5*'s, the best I can give this vest is 3*'s.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very nice fleece vest, June 28, 2008
This review is from: Columbia Men's Cathedral Peak Fleece Vest (Apparel)
This was a great purchase for my husbands birthday. Very well cut and designed using quality materials that wear well. I purchsed the navy color and it is a very nice shade more of a navy/grey that goes well with everything. My husband wears a size 42 jacket so I purchased the large since the medium I bought him before fit a little too close for his liking, the large is a little roomier. Columbia is always a good product and the price was good too.

2.0 out of 5 stars Maybe I'm picky, December 30, 2010
TV Eye "52" (Philadelphia, PA) - See all my reviews
I got this vest from my wife as a gift, so I shouldn't be looking a gift horse in the mouth. Maybe that's OK, as my comments are not directed at her, but to possible future buyers.

I've had other vests, so I've had time to develop a very strong opinion about features that I like and don't. This vest doesn't meet up with some of the basics that I am used to enjoying with my years old Gap vest.

First of all, the fleece is quite thin and porous and thus not warm in a breeze, so I don't wear it outside much. The large arm holes don't help there either.

The zipper is only one way, i.e., it doesn't open up from the bottom. To me that is a major inconvenience as I can't adjust the bottom when I am sitting or driving. With the slightly longer cut, the vest ends up bunching up around my waist. I also have to undo the zipper completely or yank the bottom of the vest halfway up my waist if I have to pull down the zipper in my pants to go to the bathroom.

My major problem, however, is with the cut. The middle has a lot of fabric and won't lay flat over my chest and stomach. It finally occurred to me that it is actually perfect for someone with a medium pot belly, but that's not me.

My final complaint is with the pocket zipper, they go down to close. If you don't zip it fully, small things like change or keys, will fall out.

Overall, the design feels like there was a lack of thought throughout. Maybe they turned a junior designer loose on this item.

Since I won;t be returning the vest, it'll get demoted to workshop duty.

2.0 out of 5 stars not warm, May 7, 2010
bought this vest to supplement a Patagonia fleece vest i have. To my surprise the vest is not very warm, does not feel like i have a fleece vest on! Otherwise the fleece has a nice material and nice look to it but it is not doing what it is supposed to (keep me warm) & also as others have mentioned in the posts here it runs a size larger (i bought an L but should have gotten an M - for all my other stuff i have Ls)
Hope this helps.

3.0 out of 5 stars Columbia Vest - Poor Fit - Fair Price, November 13, 2007
Columbia Sportswear Men's Cathedral Peak Vest. I ordered two of these, one grey and one Tusk color. I really like the Tusk. These run a little bit small and should have just a bit more length to them. I'm 6'3" tall and normally an extra large works fine for me, but not in this vest. I would have ordered an extra large Tall, but they don't come in the Tall size.
I really like the fleece feel and the two outside zipper pocket, but it would be nice if they had an inside pocket, like Columbia puts on the inside of their Cougar Peaks outerwear.

2.0 out of 5 stars SiZe no go, November 8, 2010
got a medium and it's more like an xl and the material is a little flimsy

2.0 out of 5 stars Runs a size big, poor stitching, November 11, 2010
This is the sleeveless version of the Steen's Mountain jacket. Runs a size big (5'7" 160 lbs, small was loose). No drawcord in hem is less than stellar. Useless against wind. I'm having to edit my review because the stitching is coming loose around the bottom of the zipper. It's not only fraying, it's also interfering with the zipper operation. I hope Amazon will take it back.

3.0 out of 5 stars Thin, but good as a layer, October 2, 2012
First off I'd like to start off this review by saying that like a lot of people have mentioned, the material is super thin. If you take a single layer up to the light you can see the specks of light through it. The collar portion seems to be a double layer though, and the vest itself is decently warm AS A LAYER. By itself, wind will cut right through the thin material and leave you cold. The vest does work well as a thin, insulating layer under a soft shell or windbreaker. The double thickness collar is nice because when you zip up the vest all the way it does keep your neck warm. I would have preferred if the entire vest was the same thickness as the collar though.

For the Amazon price, it's not terrible. I'd probably pay a little more and get a Polartec fleece material vest though. Definitely not worth the $40 sticker price that was on the label. But if you plan to just use this vest as an internal layer then it's decent for the $25 price tag.

1.0 out of 5 stars Never rely on the picture!!!, April 5, 2011
I always bought the Columbia items and will continue, but this item is the worst I ever have seen. I saw the picture and never hesitated to get the item. Well, today I got it and when I opened my jaws dropped. This is thinner than a handkerchief I believe. Never rely on the picture you see. It was my fault that I never consaulted with some customers and when I sent mails to Columbia, they never replied. This is a no-good vest!!!!!

2.0 out of 5 stars Vest Review, December 30, 2011
The vest did not meet my expectations. The quality of the fleece was not what I expected. I expected a thicker fleece. It is very hard buying some things online without details of the construction of the item. Thanks Scott

Rate and Discover Movies