Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it PME Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

on February 8, 2013
I like Columbia outer-wear, and bought this jacket to wear outside while it's raining or snowing (paired with a fleece/sweater underneath when temps are cooler). It's light weight, and makes for a nice wind breaker in warmer weather. If you're going to use an umbrella or quickly go in-out of the rain, the jacket will do. But I would not recommend it as an outer covering if you're going to be outside for a long time in even a slight drizzle. The product description says water "resistant" (not water-proof), and that is indeed the case. Just got finished shoveling my driveway while there was a light sleet-snow shower going on. Afterwards I found the jacket's interior material was wet (like a sweating type of wet), enough to moisten the fleece I wore underneath.

Technically, Columbia advertises their "Omni-Shield" products (which this jacket is) as only water resistant/repellant. In my opinion it's not repellant enough to be described as a true rain coat, as it is on Amazon. It's definitely not meant for direct use in bad weather (if you're thinking about pairing it with warmer wear underneath).

Columbia does have a line of jackets/coats branded as "Omni-Tech", which is advertised as water-proof (not resistant). That would have been a better choice for me.
33 comments|261 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Got this as a gift for a friend and it turns out to be one of those jackets you just grab and wear all the time.

Unfortunately, it is hard to choose the color here because the colors have those creative names that don't relate to anything you could guess, so I will list what they are here because I had to research them anyway.

1. Red Velvet is a deep almost burgundy red, kind of a cranberry.
2. Antique Moss (my fave) is a bright, yellowish green (very visible)
3. Tusk is a dark gray
4. Blue Jay is a medium blue, slightly green-toned
5. Grill (contrast color) is a charcoal or black tone
6. Amazon is a forest green (another really nice color)

There is a storm hood, and the jacket is water-resistant and stain-resistant (this is the "omni-shield) and it dries up fairly quickly. The pockets zip closed.

This is just the kind of jacket I myself like to pack along for a trip when I am not sure of the weather. My only criticism is that for me, I prefer a longer jacket to cover part of the thigh area, as that keeps me mostly dry. But for convenience, a short jacket is the easiest to carry and pack.
55 comments|115 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 14, 2013
Would have kept it but the pockets are just stupid. Mesh lined- keys inside would rip them to shreds, phone inside wouldn't stay dry. No interior zipping pocket either. It's just dumb to sacrifice storage for breathability when they could put a slit somewhere else. Otherwise it's a nice jacket and really nice color.
on August 1, 2014
This a nice jacket as long as you are not counting on it to avoid getting wet.

As a preface, I own several other Columbia rain products and have been generally satisfied with their performance,etc. I just came back from a 12 day back-country backpacking trip in NM during "Monsoon Season" where it rains daily and basically elected to replace this jacket with a black plastic garbage bag as it was virtually ineffective at keeping water out. Within minutes (like two) water would seep through the material and begin to drench a fleece I was wearing underneath. This happened to me several times before I gave up and switched to the trash bag for weather protection.

In retrospect I probably should have paid closer attention to which level of water protection it has. Its labeled as Omni-Shield which is merely water-resistant vs Columbia's Omni-Tech designation which is water proof. Although I should have investigated this more closely before purchasing the description on Amazon clearly listed it as water-proof (Description below, please note bullet #5 - WATERPROOF Fabric)

100% Nylon
Imported
Machine Wash
Long-sleeve rain jacket with contrasting yoke and internal draw-chord hem
Waterproof fabric
Packable into hand pocket
Stow-away hood
Zip-closed hand pockets, drawcord adjustable hem, adjustable cuff tabs

I do not write a lot of product reviews but vowed to do so while out on the trail based on my dissatisfaction with the product.

Bottom line - if you need a waterproof jacket don't buy this one. If you want a more water-proof Columbia product make sure it has a Omni-Tech designation and not Omni-Shield no matter what it says on the product description.
on December 17, 2015
I Received the jacket on Monday and I'm quite pleased with my selection. I'm about 5 foot 11 it's enough room for my regular clothes underneath. I like the inside pocket that has and all around is a very good jacket i would recommended I I ordered the light blue with the dark Navy blue on top shoulders.
review image
on June 6, 2013
I'm have mixed feeling writing this review since this is a decent jacket, just not what I was looking for exactly. That is a light, but not too light, comfortable, warm (good for 45-65 degrees) wrinkle free, water resistant, jacket that has a collar but no hood. That said I think it's only fair to rate the jacket for what it is.

Which is a good looking, very light, water resistant jacket. Suitable for a light wind, drizzly day maybe on the golf course or running some errands. It's not meant for heavy rain or wind and certainly not for keeping the cold at bay. So if that's what you're looking for, this will more than server the purpose.

The sizing was about right. I wear x-large sometimes large and this XL fits well and leaves decent room to move without being too baggy. You can easily swing a golf club with it on. The length is just right since I wear a lot of shirt that don't tuck in so it covers them which I like. It does has a hood, but it's hidden well and the collar lays down nicely.

What kept it from five stars is that it easily wrinkles and retains those wrinkles for a while. If you hang it up after each use and drape it over something for short trips it's fine, but if you throw it in the front seat of your car like I do, it might not look it's best when you put it on to enter a store or work. Tuck it in a golf bag for a while and it will be pretty ugly when you go to use it weeks later.

The other thing is the material tends to stick to your skin if you have a short sleeve shirt on. Not real bad, but again, not what I had in mind. It makes that windbreaker noise too when moving, but that is to be expected.

I know it might sound like I am being pretty critical for a four star rating. I'd have given 3-1/2 if if I could, but it's not a three so I went four instead to be fair.

I've been wearing it daily since it arrived and am starting to like it more as time goes on. But that will only last until I find a nice jacket that is more to my liking. Then it will probably end up in the trunk of my car to be used for golf or when the conditions warrant.

Hope this helps.
33 comments|31 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 11, 2012
I love this coat for so many reasons. It is very comfortable, with a neoprene lining, and fits over just about anything. The wrists have velcro cuffs, for an easy, quick tailored fit. Works great in warm to moderate cold weather. Great for use as a windbreaker or walking jacket. It is extremely versatile as well. As I've said it can be used for so much more than rain. It is also very stylish. It has a hood, which is completely streamlined into the collar. I bought mine in black, so it goes with anything. Also love the cost. Very durable product for what you pay for. Highly recommended.
on February 25, 2015
This jacket is actually perfectly sized for a "medium" guy like me (5'10", 170#, 42" chest)--but WITH a couple of layers beneath it. Evidently they sized it to be worn as a lightweight windproof and waterproof outer layer with maybe a shirt and sweater. It looks great on; but if you're buying it for, say, cool-temperature cycling or hiking, be aware your perspiration is going to stay right with you inside the jacket--it's waterproof and it's not Gore-tex. If, however, you're birdwatching or strolling with your honey on a brisk breezy day, you're going to be quite comfortable, plus you'll look sharp.
Some reviewers have commented on the mesh pockets, several calling them "useless". I think they're fine, however, unless you're habitually carrying heavy sharp stuff (e.g., big bunches of keys, open knives, rocks with sharp corners).
on February 1, 2016
I purchased the Columbia mens rain jacket for my husband. It fits him very nicely and has come in very
handy while vacationing in Florida. It has been very rainy this year so he has been wearing it a lot. The
jacket looks great, is stylish and is made very well. It is lightweight and has worked out great while walking
around town and bike riding. It has a hood that is rolled up in the collar and is held in by velcro closures, the
hood also has locking pulls to hold it closed around your face.
It has very large pockets that have a mesh lining and smooth moving zipper closure. The cuffs of the sleeves have
elastic and velcro so you can tighten the cuff if need be. The bottom of the jacket has elastic drawstring hem
with a plastic spring loaded toggle so you can tighten the bottom and lock it in place. It also has another pocket
on the inside left breast area, it is lined and has two velcro closures. It is larger than the size of my hand while
being spread open. It is great to keep your phone or a mp3 player in. My husband is very pleased with the jacket
and happy that it has kept him dry.
review image review image review image review image review image
on November 19, 2015
It hasn't rained too much where I live, for the need to actually use this since I've purchased it. However, today I used it for the third time ever (since purchased mid-August), and I've discovered the darker colored area (above the chest, shoulders, and shoulder blades) leaks significantly, during a moderate drizzle, after about 3-5 minutes. Regardless of the fact this being the third time I've ever used this brand new jacket, Amazon's return policy is a 30-day max, so I am stuck with the jacket. The jacket body is a bit wide for me (I am 5'8", 145 lbs, and purchased the Small), and the sleeves are a bit longer than other jackets I've owned. Now I'm left with a "Rain" Jacket that doesn't correctly fit me, is absolutely NOT waterproof/water resistant, and I have no intention to use it.

I would not recommend this jacket to anyone planning to use it as a rain jacket. If you want to stay dry, this jacket is not for you.