5.0 out of 5 stars They fit like a glove.
Published 8 months ago by Bob Seidenberg

2.0 out of 5 stars Not a fan of this shoe.
This shoe is definitely not meant for anybody that has a narrow foot. In addition, the sole is too flexible. If you are actually doing some hiking, stepping on a rock can be painful. The shoe laces are terrible, even with the small "loop" meant to cross over the knot. Even after I've tied a double knot in the laces they come untied after a little while. Wear...
Published 5 months ago by John Barfoot

5.0 out of 5 stars They fit like a glove., June 15, 2014
Trying to be economical, I had purchased a pair of hiking shoes from my local club store. The name brand was well known so I thought they would be a value for a third of the price of these. In the first 10 minutes I had those on I felt the fit wasn't right but decided to give them a break in period around the office for a day. By the end of the day I put them back in the box and returned them. My feet just floated around in them and had no support. I could not imagine wearing them hiking.
I had a pair of Columbia hiking shoes before and had been very satisfied with them. When these arrived the fit was great. Once again I gave them a day around the office to be sure. Yesterday I wore them on a 6 mile hike covering various terrains and they didn't disappoint me. I'm looking forward to another 6 miles with them.
So much for trying to save money. You get what you pay for.

4.0 out of 5 stars Columbia North Plains Trail Shoe, July 18, 2014
This review is from: Columbia Men's North Plains Trail Shoe (Shoes)
I bought this shoe in December 2013 and finally starting wearing them recently. This is a surprisingly nice shoe for the price if a little short and narrow - for me. Nevertheless they flex well and are not uncomfortable. Added to that they are lightweight which was not what I was expecting from the pix and no information was provided on that aspect. Also the toe is more rounded (than pointed) than expected but again that's no big deal, in fact I prefer that. The sole has great grip altho' I've yet to test on wet grass - I intend to use as a golf shoe as much as everyday. The lacing system allows me to leave it tied (ordinary as-provided laces) and slip in and out of, as I usually like to without any problems. The colors and appearance is attractive and subdued, as I prefer. The shoe seems well-constructed (like my previous long-wearing Sketchers) but only time will tell how they perform. But to date I'm very please with these.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Shoes ever, January 5, 2014
J. Beck (Waldorf, MD USA) - See all my reviews
I was looking for a new hiking shoe, that provided great traction. I came across these and thought they fit the bill.

As soon as they slipped onto my feet, I knew I had made the right choice. They are super light weight and give me a surefooted-ness in all types of terrain. I highly recommend these shoes for outdoorsy people. They are fantastic!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Walking or Hiking shoe, February 17, 2014
Columbia products are reasonably priced, but great quality
I use these shoes to walk in our National Parks in Sydney Australia
what we call the ozzie bush
They are are great fit and have good grip without a heavy feel
i don't trail run, i walk over natural terrain, as opposed to leveled paths
found the shoe to be comfortable and light, and look good as well
Recommend them

5.0 out of 5 stars Great shoes, October 14, 2013
I have bought Columbia shoes for awhile. I was trying to convince my hubby to get Columbia shoes for a while. He does alot of walking/running. After a week of wearing these shoes his feet stopped hurting.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just What I Was Looking For, December 16, 2014
Purchased these Columbia Men's North Plains Hiking Shoes for a 40 mile hike I'll be doing after Christmas. Was looking for something light enough to stave off fatigue. For comparison, these shoes are lighter than my Reebok Classic tennis shoes, which are made of suede like these but have a less-substantial sole.

FIT:

These shoes fit tight in the midsole so my footing is sure, but have a VERY roomy toe box. Most traditional hiking boots feel confining, but these don't, with the added bonus of great breathability. Comfortable all day.

FINISH/DURABILITY:

They appear to be sturdily made. All stitching is hardy with no stray threads that I can find. I think they will hold up well, but it's too early to tell.

CONCLUSION:

I'd recommend these shoes. I'll update this review after my first long hike in them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Columbia trail shoes., July 19, 2014
I bought these to replace a much loved pair of Columbia trail shoes that were finally worn out after several years and many hundreds of miles of use. They were the longest-lasting pair I've ever had. That style is apparently no longer available, these were the closest thing I could find. I've had them about three weeks now; they were comfortable out of the box and I'm very pleased with them. I wore them for 15 days straight on a trip, and I have walked about 30-35 miles in them so far, mainly graded dirt path, some pavement, with no problems. I haven't tried them in rough conditions yet.
I'll report back if I have anything else to share in the future.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great shoes, October 27, 2013
Good fit, great look. Would recommend this brand of shoe to anyone looking for a quality hiking shoe. Very light weight looks and feel's like a tennis shoe !!!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars a tiny bit large on me, July 28, 2014
sfcity (San Francisco, CA United States) - See all my reviews
just used these for my first hike. it's a great combination of the comfort of a tennis shoe but the sole and traction of a hiking boot. very lightweight. not even remotely waterproof of course. they are a tiny bit big on me but i wasn't using proper hiking socks, so i plan to do that next time and they should fit perfectly.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great shoes for cooler winter trails., December 26, 2014
I love the outdoors and was looking for a comfortable shoe I could wear all day and if I had time to hit a trail I could. Columbia did a fantastic job on this shoe and appears to be very well built. I love the look and feel of it. It's easy to clean and supports my foot from moving around really well. Great traction wet or dry. Very comfortable.

During the summer I typically wear my minimalist Vibram toe shoes on the trail and my feet feel awesome all day but I wanted something dryer for the wet California winter season. The only down side is that I have noticed my feet are numb when I wake up in the morning but I'm not sure if that's from my new shoes or not but I think it may be. When I put my old basketball shoes on I notice the arch support feels much higher so I'm wondering if having my toes inclined from the tip of the shoe (typical of most shoes) with the combination of the lower arch support of these shoes is causing some circulation issues.

Columbia Men's North Plains Trail Shoe