5.0 out of 5 stars Superb warmth and super light weight. Fits slightly small.
The omniheat lining provides super insulation with minimal bulk any the vest is virtually weightless. Much, much less bulky than my down filled vest.

Published 23 months ago by JB123

3.0 out of 5 stars Columbia should make this in fleece!
I have been hoping for a fleece Omni-Heat vest from Columbia ever since I bought a wonderful Whirlibird OH parka last winter. I even emailed Columbia asking about one, and they replied that it was not on their calendar to offer one.

Published 22 months ago by John E. Davies

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb warmth and super light weight. Fits slightly small., October 10, 2012
This review is from: Columbia Men's Shimmer Me Timbers Vest (Apparel)

The sizing is surprisingly slim (for Columbia). At 5'11" with 33" waist and 41" chest. I am basically a universal size medium. I have many Columbia products and normally I find they are either true to size or slightly large. All my other Columbia tops are medium. This is the first time I found one of their products to be too small in a medium. I have a fleece Columbia vest in medium and it is 2 inches wider at the chest and waist compared to this one in medium. I saw a few reviews at Columbia.com that said this is true to size but I disagree. At least the medium runs small. I exchanged for the large.

Medium measures 40" at chest and 38" at bottom, 28" long.

Large measures 44" at chest, 42" at bottom, 29" long.

Also, there is absolutely no stretch in this vest so don't expect it to fit snug and "give" a little.

If you plan to wear this over only a single thin layer than your normal size would probably work. I typically expect to wear a vest over at least a couple heavier layers. So going up one size was necessary for me. Consider that I usually wear my medium Columbia fleece vest over a shirt plus sweater or sweatshirt and it still has room to move.

This vest is supposed to work with the "Zip-in Interchange System". I don't have any compatible shell to test this vest with. Perhaps you need to match medium to medium, or large to large when using this as a liner with an interchange shell. I do not know.

Overall this works great for me.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very nice, January 13, 2013
This is a very nice and thin vest. It's also kind of slim fit in the waist. So if you have more than a normal belly, maybe you should get a bigger size. Be careful with the red choice, it's very intense.

5.0 out of 5 stars WARNING: Do not taunt this vest!, January 11, 2013
I'm not sure exactly what the lining of this vest is made of, but it must be some sort of super exotic material that fell to Earth in the lining of an alien flying saucer. It's spooky how well it keeps you warm. I've actually had to take this vest off outside when temps get above 50 because it gets too warm. If you're looking for something lightweight and stylish that keeps you toasty warm this is the one to get.

3.0 out of 5 stars Columbia should make this in fleece!, November 11, 2012
This review is from: Columbia Men's Shimmer Me Timbers Vest (Apparel)

I bought my Shimmer Me Timbers vest a week ago. It is definitely toasty warm when zipped, and light weight, but it can't match fleece for long term comfort.

The nylon shell is reflective, very noisy and develops static, and the slick surface just feels darn cheap, like a $25 camping tent. It is NOT breathable like their excellent Omni-Tech jackets.

The fit is definitely a half size small. I am 160 pounds, 5'11", 33" waist, 39" chest. I always wear Medium Columbia jackets and vests and they usually fit perfectly, but over a thin, worn out sweatshirt the Medium Shimmer vest was uncomfortably snug at the waist and chest. I wanted to be able to wear it over a heavy sweater, so I bought a Large. It fits OK, but it's a little too loose and too long. The waist draw cord can bring in the hem a little, but there is no way I can adjust the length. This vest makes me look fat ;(

The vest is super comfy for wearing around the house in cold weather when you have the thermostat set a few degrees colder. If you get a little chilled you can zip it up and your core heats up quickly, warming your entire body.

This is another quality Columbia product, but I rate it three stars due to poor fit and the wrong fabric. If they will offer a medium weight Omni-Heat FLEECE vest with no other insulation, and correct sizing, I will probably buy half a dozen! All they have to do is take the Whirlibird OH liner and delete the sleeves!

Until then, this one will do.

John Davies
Spokane WA USA

5.0 out of 5 stars Works perfect for So Cal Winters... LOL and walking around the Happiest Place on earth..., March 3, 2013
Upon receiving this vest I was really not expecting much when I held it. It was extremely thin and light and I thought "No way will this keep me warm on a 30-40 degree night while I'm outside walking around Dland in Anaheim!!" I was wrong!!! The vest worked great!! Whatever the shiny solar blanket looking material is on the inside of the vest. It does a great job!!! Keeping my chest, back and neck warm (if I zip it up all the way) and it seems to regulate the temperature well. My chest measures about 50" with a bit of a belly... (Hey don't judge...lol) and it fits me fine, the length is good, all three pockets are of a solid make. The two hand pockets keep your hands very warm. The zippers are of good construction. The third pocket that is located on the left inside chest area is a good pocket for cell phone, wallet etc. This is a good purchase for those that get too hot with sleeved jackets like me. You won't regret this purchase. Took about 3 weeks delivery via snail mail but I wasn't in a hurry...

5.0 out of 5 stars Keeps Me Warm, February 4, 2013
R Drake (Walla Walla, WA) - See all my reviews
The office where I work has the temperature set at 65. Put on a light jacket, and after a while I started overheating. Take the light jacket off, and in a little while I'm shaking from cold. I finally got the bright idea that perhaps a vest would keep my core warm but allow my arms to remain cool, and prevent me from overheating. So I got this vest. Love it!!! I don't overheat anymore, yet I stay nice and warm.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality Vest, December 29, 2012
As usual, this is a quality Columbia product. This vest is warm and lightweight. While not as warm as my Columbia Down Jacket, this vest is very good for temps down to 40 degrees. I would buy again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great vest!, November 24, 2012
M. Savic (Chicago, IL USA) - See all my reviews
Very comfy and snug. Great for those not so cold days. Nice inside pocket too. Inside lining great against wind.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great vest, October 19, 2012
Very warm, soft, and comfortable! Color is a little different than i expected but still very pleased. I would recommend this product to anyone looking for a down vest :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect, no complaints, January 6, 2013
Dean "KoolMoeDean" (Charlottesville, VA, United States) - See all my reviews
I paid more for this than I am usually inclined to pay for a piece of clothing, but I have absolutely no regrets. It seems to preternaturally know the temperature outside and adapt to keep you at perfect homeostasis. I brought this with me for a November trip to Europe and it was perfect for weather from 25-60 degrees. It has deep warm pockets that zip closed, and an extremely useful inside pocket that also zips closed where I kept my wallet free from the prying hands of the souqs, train stations, etc. It is warm but not bulky. I really have no complaints whatsoever.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›