4.0 out of 5 stars Great Pants but fit is small
Nice pair of pants. Very comfortable. However the fit is very small, especially if you are a little large in the thighs. Make sure to order at least one waist size larger.
Published on July 27, 2012 by Elie Wildman

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad. Could be better.
PROS:
- Very light and breathable.
- Lots of pockets
- Dries very fast.
CONS:
- The waist runs 2 sizes smaller. I had to return twice before I got the right size. They are very tight around the thighs. Several reviewers complain about this so be aware.
Published on August 11, 2012 by AP

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad. Could be better., August 11, 2012
AP (Virginia, US) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Columbia Men's Silver Ridge Convertible Pant (Sports Apparel)
PROS:
- Very light and breathable.
- Lots of pockets
- Dries very fast.
CONS:
- The description says: "zip-closed side cargo pockets, and zip-closed back pockets". Wrong, there is just one side cargo pocket with a zip. Every other pocket is secured with a tiny velcro and because of that back pockets are definitely unsafe for carrying a wallet.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Pants but fit is small, July 27, 2012

1.0 out of 5 stars Run VERY Small, February 13, 2013
I normally wear between a 34 and 36 waist depending on the brand, so I bought these pants in 36 to be safe. When I tried them on I couldn't even get them buttoned... they were tiny! I need at least one size (possibly two) bigger to fit comfortably. In addition to the small waist, the thighs run small too. I read another review saying it felt like they were wearing spandex and I would totally agree.

Other than the terrible fit, not bad.

4.0 out of 5 stars Do NOT Order a Size Up IF . . ., April 10, 2014
Jackrbike (Clifton Park, NY) - See all my reviews
Here's my experience with Silver Ridge Convertibles regarding size, and my suspicions. First, I am 6 foot, 195 pounds and always wear a size 32 leg length. 99% of the time a 38 waist fits fine.

Both here and on other sites there were enough reviews that strongly suggested ordering one size up. So, I did. They fit, but the waist was, well, 40, and loose but handleable with a belt. They felt fine.

But, I am going to Europe soon and I wanted something that could look stylish too (not baggy). I have several pairs of convertible nylon hiking pants of various weights that I've used hiking and for other Europe trips. I didn't need another pair of baggyish pants. So, I ordered and got the 38W32L size of these pants, for comparison. I returned the one size up version.

Conclusions: If you want a loose pair, totally free in the legs around the knees when taking two-steps up while hiking, then buy one size up. If you want something for mainly about town and travel, get your actual size. The leg fit will be fine except if you do leg lifts and have bulked up around the thighs, or if you have a unique shape. I tend to be on the hippy side slightly, and I do not feel constricted in these 38-32s, around the knees, thighs, hips, or crotch. The crotch is not as deep as in many pants, but only slightly so, so if you are REALLY thick in the butt and center then maybe a size up would be appropriate. Put another way, if you cannot get into "regular" size jeans and always get relaxed fit, consider what I've said, but keep in mind that nylon is more flexible than thick jeans.

General: Only one zippered pocket, on the left side, perfect for the wallet. Normal side pockets (tight good quality mesh) are slightly shallow and should be somewhat deeper, to minimize coins or the like falling out while sitting, which is not likely but COULD happen. Other pockets have velcro closures. No zippers at the leg bottoms. Pant bottoms are labeled L and R on the zipper pulls, a nice convenience. These look MUCH nicer than my other, frumpy looking but serviceable, convertible pants. Length is true to size. Waistband, like most similar pants, has a bit of stretch to it. Quality of the fabric and stitching is good. I'd suggest a darker color, as such would be less likely to show dirt and when wet from rain there is no possibility of a see-though effect characteristic of very light nylon.

Nowhere on labels did I find the AX8004 designations, which appears in the product title that prompted my writing this review. You would be well off to first search for "Columbia Mens Silver Ridge Convertible” to find the range of prices available, as these pants are listed slightly differently in many cases, perhaps to give particular marketplace merchants an edge. Compare prices, considering shipping, for all you find in your search under "Columbia Mens Silver Ridge Convertible."

Suspicion/speculation: I noted that many of the reviews that strongly pushed the idea that these pants are way too tight were made more than a year ago. I wonder if Columbia took note of past negative comments and had their suppliers tighten up on the variability allowed for each size specification, resulting in the apparently current true to size but only somewhat slender product.

Oh, I took one star off because pants like these should have deeper front pockets and another zippered pocket. But, would I get another pair of another color? Sure. I like 'em enough; I just don't "love" them!

4.0 out of 5 stars These pants feel awesome!, June 7, 2013
powerop (San Diego, CA) - See all my reviews
I'm wearing these pants as I write this review and they are thin and very lightweight, just a tad lighter than dress slacks but doesn't look cheap. The material is also very pliable (soft) so it feels very good. I'm not sure what they mean by 2-way comfort flex but the material does not seem to have any discernible stretch. However, there is some portions of elastic banding along the waistline. I'm not sure if anyone mentioned this, but it does come with a removable belt shown in the pictures. The belt itself is also thin and lightweight.

I'm 5'7" at 160lbs and typically wear 32W 32L Express brand jeans, which are straight and slightly slim cut. Based on recommendations, I ordered two sizes higher at the waistline (34W) to avoid skinny tight fit at the thighs. I can somewhat agree with the recommendation, though it is just a tad baggy from what I'm used to and the waistline is loose without a belt. My recommendation would be one size higher (33W for me).

As far as length is concerned, I have mixed feelings about it. As pants, they seem longer than usual. These 34W 32L pants are indeed longer than my other brands, but for some it might be okay to "hug" over hiking shoes. For me, it was folded too much near the foot (too much break). BUT, as shorts they are too short. They barely go past my knee cap. So I would imagine that if I got the correct pant length, that the length of the shorts would be showing some thigh (and it looks that way in the pictures). I don't like short shorts so I'm keeping my copy (they don't have a 33W 32L) and hemming the pants portion.

The convertible feature is great. The zipper is nicely concealed all the way around the leg. Each zipper is labeled so that you know which portion goes to the right leg and left leg. If you are wondering, it does matter since the outside stitching is different from the inside stitching. From the inside, as pants, I can feel where the zipper line is located but its not bothersome one bit nor does it feel rough or sharp. The zipping action is smooth.

There are 6 pockets total. The 2 front ones are open and have a breathable mesh lining (like those inside certain beach shorts). Only the left side pocket is zippered, the rest of the pockets have a small velcro patch to keep it closed. There are no hidden pockets inside the pants, such as a key holder.

All in all, the fit and feel of the material by itself makes up for an awesome pair of pants that will make you feel very comfortable. As convertable pants they don't look nerdy and are not too bad in terms of style (as confirmed by my fiance). Sizing issues aside, these pants/shorts come highly recommended. Hope this helps.

4.0 out of 5 stars comfortable pants - sizing data for me, April 26, 2014
My TRUE waist measurement is about 38" (that is, holding a tape measure comfortably around my waist where my belt would go). I know that vanity sizing of all men's pants means that you need to usually choose a size that is about 2" less than your true waist size (or even less, depending on the brand of the pants). I picked the 36" waist for these pants, and it is perfect. The waist fits comfortably, without strain, and yet is taught enough to hold up my pants without a belt. I am 5'11" (180 cm) and weigh 195 lbs (72 kg). The crotch area is not tight and the pants don't feel baggy.

The material is very lightweight, comfortable, and yet it feels durable. I like the pockets but would have appreciated one more zippered pocket. I removed 1 star for the belt (I would rather it would not have included a belt and have a lower price). My 1.5"-width belt fit fine in the loops, and I set aside the Columbia belt that came with it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Buy 2 Sizes Too Big, March 27, 2014
Satisfaction is key so get two sizes too big then they'll fit just right. This way they'll accommodate bigger legs and thighs.

3.0 out of 5 stars Tight thighs .. I am not fat at all., November 13, 2013
Fabric is really thin and delicate that I feel it's gonna rip anytime.
Thighs are tight, I wear 34/34 but this Columbia is tight on my thighs. I am 6 feet 189 lbs guy. This is definitely for thinner guys.

2.0 out of 5 stars Serious flaw with these pants..., November 8, 2013
So I bought these for a backpacking trip I went on and hadn't realized the major flaw until I was out on the trail. When you convert these to shorts you can't get the legs over your boots. So instead of zipping them off quickly, you have to sit down and take all your gear off including your boots. Major design flaw. All they needed to do was put zippers down the legs. They might fit over a small pair of sneakers. If quick and easy convertible pants are what you are looking for, you might want to find another brand.

5.0 out of 5 stars A little tight, but great nonetheless, July 7, 2013
Two years ago I was at the Grand Canyon and bought a pair of similar pants for the first time. Apparently the "Titanium" version of these has stopped being produced, because I've looked /everywhere/ for them. It got to the point where I only had one pair of pants because I refused to get anything else, and the button was missing so I had to keep them on with the belt (provided). Finally, I gave up my quest for an identical pair and started hunting for a similar pair. Well, this is it. These are nearly identical to the pants I fell in love with, just a bit tighter from the knees up.

A few other reviewers mentioned getting these one size larger (waist) than you think you need, and I'm glad they did. I'm generally a 32"x32", but I got these in 34"x32" (to be fair, I'm a big 32", but usually not quite big enough for 34"). They're not uncomfortably tight, but the belt that comes with these pants basically does nothing for me at this point. Maybe in a few months they'll stretch out to a normal 34", but really, it's not an issue. Just don't try to kid yourself by ordering your "regular size" if you've put on a few pounds.

All in all, I think these pants look a bit nicer than the ones I'm used to, but I'm not a big fan of the tight crotch. My wife certainly enjoys the view, but you might feel a bit like you're walking around public in wall-climbing gear, if you know what I mean.

I would most certainly buy these again.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›