Industrial-Sized Deals TextBTS15 Shop Men's Hightops Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon Iron Maiden $5 Off Fire TV Stick Off to College Essentials Shop Popular Services hog hog hog  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Nintendo Digital Games Big Savings in the Amazon Fall Sportsman Event Deal of the Day

on June 20, 2012
One word for the Columbia Silver Ridge Convertible Pants.....A-M-A-Z-I-N-G!

I'm 26 years old. I was afraid I'd be judged and ridiculed by my peers for purchasing and overusing pants that turn into shorts. To be honest, I stopped listening to my friends after the first criticism because I was in paradise wearing these glorious pants. When I'm in these bad boys, I feel like I might as well just never take them off. Here's why:

-The fabric feels like it was developed in the future and sent back to Columbia via time machine. There's no way you can make something SO comfortable with modern day textile factories. All kidding aside, I traveled 24 hours in planes in these pants and I can't think of anything better to wear.

-Length and width were as advertised. The scary part of ordering clothes online are always the dimensions. You ask yourself "will I be getting another set of clown clothes?" Not in this case. Don't order too small in the waste, as the belt allows you tighten things up nicely.

-Did I mention these turn into SHORTS?! I don't care if 40 year old men rock these all day, I'm right there with them. My friends were making fun of me until they started sweating their asses off in jeans. I simply zipped and ripped...bam I was wearing shorts!!! The zippers are very high quality, no snags and easy to reassemble (even though you look ridiculous if you put the shins back on while your wearing the shorts).

All in all, these are great pants for walking long distances, traveling, and making everyone else look like an amateur. "Transform" your life and buy these bad boys. You won't give a crap what people say when your legs feel like they are resting in between sheets of pure joy.
1414 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on April 10, 2014
Smart of Seller to List by Size, as I've found that sellers on Amazon and on Ebay slightly change wording to get their product "found" by various searches that are not general enough to show all prices and options. Clever, too, as people will search by size unaware they limit their options. Thus, this listing shows at a higher price relative to some others. That said, these are good pants, and I've put my review here in hopes it will help you learn more about the product and the various prices for the IDENTICAL item.

Here's my experience with Silver Ridge Convertibles regarding size, and my suspicions. First, I am 6 foot, 195 pounds and always wear a size 32 leg length. 99% of the time a 38 waist fits fine.

Both here and on other sites there were enough reviews that strongly suggested ordering one size up. So, I did. They fit, but the waist was, well, 40, and loose but handle-able with a belt. They felt fine.

But, I am going to Europe soon and I wanted something that could look stylish too (not baggy). I have several pairs of convertible nylon hiking pants of various weights that I've used hiking and for other Europe trips. I didn't need another pair of baggyish pants. So, I ordered and got the 38W32L size of these pants, for comparison. I returned the one size up version.

Conclusions: If you want a loose pair, totally free in the legs around the knees when taking two-steps up while hiking, then buy one size up. If you want something for mainly about town and travel, get your actual size. The leg fit will be fine except if you do leg lifts and have bulked up around the thighs, or if you have a unique shape. I tend to be on the hippy side slightly, and I do not feel constricted in these 38-32s, around the knees, thighs, hips, or crotch. The crotch is not as deep as in many pants, but only slightly so, so if you are REALLY thick in the butt and center then maybe a size up would be appropriate. Put another way, if you cannot get into "regular" size jeans and always get relaxed fit, consider what I've said, but keep in mind that nylon is more flexible than thick jeans.

General: Only one zippered pocket, on the left side, perfect for the wallet. Normal side pockets (tight good quality mesh) are slightly shallow and should be somewhat deeper, to minimize coins or the like falling out while sitting, which is not likely but COULD happen. Other pockets have velcro closures. No zippers at the leg bottoms. Pant bottoms are labeled L and R on the zipper pulls, a nice convenience. These look MUCH nicer than my other, frumpy looking but serviceable, convertible pants. Length is true to size. Waistband, like most similar pants, has a bit of stretch to it. Quality of the fabric and stitching is good. I'd suggest a darker color, as such would be less likely to show dirt and when wet from rain there is no possibility of a see-though effect characteristic of very light nylon.

Nowhere on labels did I find the AX8004 designations, which appears in the product title that prompted my writing this review, which I also placed on other listings for the same pants. You would be well off to first search for "Columbia Mens Silver Ridge Convertible" to find the range of prices available, as these pants are listed slightly differently in many cases, perhaps to give particular marketplace merchants an edge. Compare prices, considering shipping, for all you find in your search under "Columbia Mens Silver Ridge Convertible."

Suspicion/speculation: I noted that many of the reviews that strongly pushed the idea that these pants are way too tight were made more than a year ago. I wonder if Columbia took note of past negative comments and had their suppliers tighten up on the variability allowed for each size specification, resulting in the apparently current true to size but only somewhat slender product.

Oh, I took one star off because pants like these should have deeper front pockets and another zippered pocket. But, would I get another pair of another color? Sure. I like 'em enough; I just don't "love" them!
77 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 12, 2013
First the Pros:

+ Fits exactly. Maybe slightly more snug than other sized pants but that's not a big deal.
+ Zippers & Pockets well made.
+ Lightweight- drys fast
+ I like where the zips are for the shorts.
+ The belt is actually pretty nice and useable.

Now for the big con that drops this from a 5 to a 3.

The crotch is too tight. I'm going to invoke the three letter outdoor company and their adventure pants, which are slightly cheaper but I find are better designed than these pants. They have a gusset in the crotch for some extra maneuverability and strength that is sadly missing in these pants. I'm going to be hiking in these pants, which means lots of walking and striding. Taking anything other than a small step in these pants I can feel the fabric tense up and pull. Which means sooner or later I'm going to rip the crotch out of these things like I do with all cheap pants. I'll kneel or something and *bam* I'll have a nice six inch emergency vent.

If it wasn't for that, these would be a 5-star, favorite pair of pants I suspect. For the price I paid for these pants, I'd really, really hope they'd use a gusset in the crotch. I'm sad to see they don't.
77 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 5, 2012
I bought these pants for hiking the PCT Section J up in Washington during the middle of August. Took off the pant portion during day, and put them back on when we got to camp. Fortunately the weather was pretty consistently warm all day, but these pants do not have zippers at the bottom of the leg so you have to take your boots off to get the pant legs off/on. That would be my only complaint; kept me warm at night and seemed to dry quick enough when they got wet during the day.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on February 18, 2015
I ordered these pants for a trip I was planning to take. I tried them on after receiving them and loved the fit. They sat on my shelf until the first day of my trip when is the first time I wore them for more than a minute. That is when I noticed the seam on one of the cargo pockets was completely unraveled, leaving a hole the entire length of the pocket. So I am unimpressed with the craftsmanship of the product. Unfortunately for me the return window closed and I am stuck with pants that are falling apart.
review image
on December 3, 2012
Took 3 pairs of these on a month long trip in the inner Himalayas . They were easy to hike in and breathed well. The run a little tight in the thighs for long strides but otherwise they were very comfortable.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on April 18, 2013
Let me start by saying I read a lot of reviews stating these pants run small. This may be true for some, but for a 26 year-old 5'11" 155lb frame guy like myself these fit absolutely perfect in 32x30. Now that that's out of the way, let's get to the good stuff:

These are the most comfortable pair of pants I own. The synthetic fabric is extremely lightweight, breathable, yet retains durability and excellent stain resistance. The tusk color is basically khaki despite the grayish overtone shown in the online picture. If they become wet they'll dry within minutes, a must for hiking pants. Columbia includes a military webbing-style belt with the pants that I would only use in an emergency situation. I'm not sure which kind of emergency situation calls for a cheap belt, but hey, it's there. The zipper separator runs just above the knee which prevents chafing on extended hikes. The left cargo pocket is zippered, the right pocket Velcro. The zippers all seem solid, with seams blended wonderfully. Now for easy reading, my list:

PROS:
+ EXTREMELY comfortable. I cannot stress this enough, it's almost like being naked from the waist down.
+ Very lightweight yet very durable. I've been stuck with numerous thorn bushes with nothing to show of it in the pant.
+ Dries exceptionally quickly with superior breathability allowing sweat to dissipate fast keeping your legs cool.
+ Convertible-style is a premium. Pants in the morning, shorts in the evening. Detachable legs are labeled at the zipper "L" and "R" for quick reattachment.
+ The waistline features a 2-inch stretch-band right above the hipbones, which, when coupled with a stretchable belt allows for quick and easy pissing. This doesn't seem like much, but when you have to relieve yourself and don't have to dick around adjusting a belt makes for getting back on the trail that much faster.
+ Pockets are big enough to stow away items for easy access without feeling cumbersome or loose.
+ Zipper banding around the leg-separator sports a layer of fabric that prevents metal-on-skin chafing.

CONS:
- No zipper at the bottom of the legs, you may have to remove your hiking boots to remove the pants. If however you wear hiking shoes with less profile this may not be an issue, but I wear boots and they need to be removed first.
- Belt loops are a little narrow, it can sometimes take longer to insert or remove belt than it should. That being said, these are merely inconveniences that do not degrade overall performance.

All in all, these are my favorite pair of pants. I don't just use them for hiking, they make excellent casual wear as well: they look plain sharp. The function over formalities earns a solid 5/5 from me.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
The sizing runs small. I am going to keep the pant because I would have had to pay return shipping, & am opposed to doing so. The sizing is close enough that I expect I can get a number of wearings out of the pant before I get a tear along some seam or other.
on May 13, 2015
Very good lightweight convertible pants, even for those of us who don't use them on the trails. Perfect for summer travel (they add no weight to your bag, plastic belt buckle doesn't trip airport scanners, shorts and long pants in one. One zipper pocket (left cargo) for valuables (wish the other cargo pocket also had a zipper, like older North Face convertibles -- which, like all good products, have now been discontinued).

Yes, they do run a bit tight (for a given size) compared to other brands. But the elastic waist helps with that.

It's not obvious how to open the belt buckle. See uploaded photo for the solution to the puzzle. (Hold the buckle as shown in the photo, and press with your thumb).
review image
on December 17, 2014
Best pants ever. I tried several near-copies at a local sporting goods store, but at the end of the day, Columbia Silver Ridge is the best and Amazon makes the prices easy to live with. The color listed as Gravel is actually green, while the color listed as Grill is actually gray. Who knows where they get these color names, and it's hard to tell from the pictures.