5.0 out of 5 stars Most comfortable, versatile pants I've ever owned
Published on January 30, 2012 by Highdaddy

3.0 out of 5 stars NOT Like the Originals AT ALL
These Ultimate ROC pants are much more casual than the original "classic" ROC pants. The originals could pass for Chinos with their slant pockets in the front, inner zipper pocket, inset rear pockets and low-key side patch pocket that did not draw attention.

Published on December 3, 2010 by V4Rider

3.0 out of 5 stars NOT Like the Originals AT ALL, December 3, 2010
This review is from: Columbia Men's Ultimate ROC Pant (Apparel)

The Ultimates feature big stupid-looking patch pockets on the rear with contrast red stitching on the upper corners. The same red thread is used on the corner of the right side patch pocket. The Ultimate material is much lighter in weight/thickness than the original. The discreet inner zipper pocket which was great for cell phones now starts about 4" below the bottom of the left front pocket, so you have to reach halfway down your thigh to get to it.

These are not at all suitable for the conditions I needed them for. I feel like I wasted my money. These are more like very light weight jeans as far as where I could wear them. Extremely casual. Too casual for any Casual Friday I know of.

This line in the Amazon description "the ultimate roc pant has retained all of the classic style and function of the original version" is simply NOT TRUE.

5.0 out of 5 stars Most comfortable, versatile pants I've ever owned, January 30, 2012
I originally bought these pants for a mission trip to Honduras. We were going to be doing some hard labor building adobe brick houses. The zipper pocket came in extremely handy as I had to have my passport with me at all times. I slept in these pants too as they were so comfortable. When I got back to the states I found myself wearing them to work, to church, to games and everywhere else. They are the most versatile pair of pants I've ever owned. I hope they never do away with this line.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hubby Approves! And so do I! ;-), January 14, 2013
My husband works in Exploration, and I bought these pants for his trips. He said they're great and very comfortable - they fit true to size. He works in very harsh terrain, and they have held up.

Also, they make his behind look great! :-)

5.0 out of 5 stars Bueno, January 19, 2013
Excelente calidad!!! era exactamente lo que esperaba... ... .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. ..

1.0 out of 5 stars Low quality material., November 16, 2013
I ordered 5 pairs of these. The very first time I wore them the material where the pockets and belt loops started to rip. I have seen pants do this if they are too tight but I wear a 30" waist and I ordered 32" just to be sure that they would still fit well after washing and drying. Iv'e had to buy iron on patches and put them inside to keep the tears from getting larger. I will never buy columbia pants again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Khaki Heaven, August 29, 2013
These are my new favorite pants. Very very comfortable, the fit does seems to be just slightly large. After washing there was no shrinkage noticed. They are slightly more casual than traditional Khaki pant, but I have been wearing them to the office with no complaints. Actually on the contrary, I have gotten 2 complements on how nice they look. The only complaint is the closure is a snap which even with a loose fit seems to not be very secure. I wear a belt so not really an issue for me. I like the "Hidden" Pockets, they give you a few more places for storage without the CARGO pant look. CARGO will not work for the office. The quality seems to be excellent, with double stitched seems. Highly recommended if your business casual policy is not too strict. Match there with an oxford or polo and you are ready for the office.

5 STARS

I actually bought 4 more pairs in different colors, the color selection is pretty good.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for the elements and a great value, December 16, 2010
This review is from: Columbia Men's Ultimate ROC Pant (Apparel)
I work outdoors through every season but our dress code does not also us to wear cargo. These khakis are the perfect way to work around that and give you extra storage. The zippered side pocket does ride just above your right knee and makes carrying heavier objects annoying. It does not seem like they gave much thought into the location.

Pocket location aside and having never worn the older version of these, I feel that they are very durable. I've been wearing them in snow and rain and they do a pretty good job of repelling water. Even in heavy rain or snow, I don't feel like they cling to me when wet like cheaper khakis do.

If the price of these seem high to you, keep in mind the value is in the length of time you will own them. Stains come out easily, the seams are solid, and the zippers are durable. I have worn five pairs for ten months that I rotate through each day I work. In an all outdoors, rain or shine work environment I'm yet to need another pair and they continue to wash clean and look professional. Makes them worth the price tag.

2.0 out of 5 stars comfortable, very versatile. fabric discolors over time, October 20, 2013
UPDATE: I've noticed after a few months that the material is starting to discolor. I am getting areas that are staring to look bleached out. I am sure I have not gotten bleach anywhere near these pants, and it is affecting areas like inside the zipper that are not really exposed externally so it is clearly a flaw in the product. Not sure if it affects all the colors but I got it in Alpine Tundra. I've reduced my review to two stars because of this issue.

I like the material, feels comfortable. For me it fit true to size. Spent a couple days hiking in these pants and they held up very well.
The best part is that after hiking, I was able to go out to eat with my group without changing clothes and I did not feel like I was really under-dressed for a midscale restaurant.
Things I didn't like: the waist button feels a little less solid than I would like, I have not had it pop open on its own yet but doesn't take much pressure to open. Also the rear pockets do not have buttons or flaps. The side pocket is ok for thin or light things, not comfortable if you have something bulky in there. Not idea for use as a true cargo pant, but if you keep most of your stuff in your pack, the pockets are plenty sizable for your basic needs.

2.0 out of 5 stars nice pant, but poorly sewed, April 24, 2014
maybe I bought a monday product, nice pant, fits well, -- but after roughly 6 weeks pants opens a lot of seams.
I will ask for a replacement.

4.0 out of 5 stars Comfortable! Great Alternative to Denim, February 16, 2011
I must say these are pretty comfortable! The material is light and breathable it almost reminds you of sweatpants. The great thing about these is you can wear them as casual wear (almost an equivalent to khakis), to the office, fishing, or around town. They look great, feel great. Just be sure to buy them on sale...

I read other reviews which recommended to buy them in a length one size smaller than what you typically wear. I usually wear 34x32 and I should have bought 34x30s. The "Omni-Shield" feature is a marketing gimmick as I can assure you these pants stain like any other.

It took me over two years to wear out the first pair and I'm definitely going to buy another. I would recommend these to a friend.

Columbia Men's Ultimate ROC Pant