5.0 out of 5 stars Rockin' the ROC Shorts
Published on April 9, 2012 by Adam'nAtlanta

2.0 out of 5 stars Don't mess with success Columbia!!
Published on July 16, 2012 by Noman

2.0 out of 5 stars Don't mess with success Columbia!!, July 16, 2012
Noman "Speedbump" (Yigo, Guam United States Minor Outlying Islands) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Columbia Men's Ultimate ROC Short (Apparel)
Columbia!! Ma Boyle!! Please! Please go back to the old ROC shorts design! The low side zipper pocket is useless and the outside back pockets look terrible! The zippered pocket inside/parallel to the right pocket was much more functional and convenient, the perfect place for cellphone, passport, etc.. And I should know, as I have worn the old style shorts (and pants), literally, around the world without thinking of packing any other style of shorts since they could be super-casual or nearly-formal (Yes, in some countries shorts can be formal!)!
I have loved and purchased your products for nearly two decades (pants, shorts, shirts, shoes, jackets, fleece), the fit and durability of all has been unmatched! But the recent design changes have me scouring the internet for the old design! PLEASE go back to the old design, or at least offer the "Classic ROC" shorts!!
One more thing, if you want to steal half of the business of other "dock"-like casual shorts manufacturers, offer a version of the "classic ROC" shorts design with an 11" inseam and without the low right side tool pocket. I love this pocket when I ware these to work around the house or boat but, a version without it would "formalize" the shorts just enough to allow us to wear them at nearly any occasion and replace all other casual shorts we own!
PS: Yes, I have written nearly this exact same review for the ROC pants. And the only reason I don't recommend this product is because I know Columbia can do better!

5.0 out of 5 stars Rockin' the ROC Shorts, April 9, 2012
Thought the length was a little long at first (11" inseam seemed like boarder shorts) but after just a few wears they feel perfect. I am 5'11', usually wear 32" inseam pants, and they come to my knee cap when standing and just above the knee when sitting. I wear them around town, on the golf course, and have done some lite hiking in them. Love the finish. Looks and feels like any cotton shorts but has a water and stain repellent that is amazing. After a light rain on the golf course my shorts stayed dry. Bought two colors and thinking of buying the 9" inseam also.

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible Quality, June 19, 2010
This review is from: Columbia Men's Ultimate ROC Short (Apparel)
I bought these shorts and they look pretty good. I put them on and wore them once on a walk. When I got home, the material in the crotch was already falling apart. Very poor quality imo.

2.0 out of 5 stars I loved the Original ROC shorts but disappointed, August 22, 2013
Vern M "Vern" (Spokane, Wa USA) - See all my reviews
The original shorts were great the cell phone pocket was located in the perfect place. But the ultimate has a goofy zipper pocket and is very cumbersome. I guess I will have to find a replacement from another brand. Very disappointed in these.

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay, June 3, 2014
They fit fine and are okay. I would have like something with a little heavier cloth. For the price, they seem a little thin. Some other reviews seem to think that too. I do like the 11" length.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Product, February 7, 2014
As advertised, a great pair of shorts :-) I love the material and how they fit. Leg length is perfect.

4.0 out of 5 stars Stylish and functional, December 27, 2013
Acceptably long, but not quite as long as I'd hoped. Very functional, per all the Ultimate ROC pants, and stain repellant. No regrets.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Shorts, November 26, 2013
One of my favorite pair of shorts but always had trouble finding them. Fit well and like the longer 11" inseam

4.0 out of 5 stars Good shorts, high price, November 18, 2013
I hate cargo shorts, and finding non cargo shorts that aren't "activewear" is extremely hard. I used to be able to get carpenter shorts from old navy and kohls but they no longer carry them. I was super excited to find these, though they aren't exactly what i was used to. The side pockets are so small they no longer fit a cell phone and the zip up pocket is in a terrible spot. Also the price is a bit high.

3.0 out of 5 stars Waist snap pulled out and Columbia won't reply., September 15, 2013
After about 4 months of casual wear, the front waist snap pulled out of the fabric when I tried to unsnap the pants (and I wear the same waist size in several other Columbia shorts that fit well). An e-mail and a call to Columbia customer service have gone completely unanswered. I have pairs of shorts from Old Navy that last years, not to mention a few older pairs of Columbias.

UPDATE: Columbia did respond to my e-mails after about 2 weeks. I mailed them the shorts and they will be replacing them under their warranty. Based on the relatively quick replacement, I gave back 2 stars.

Columbia Men's Ultimate ROC Short