5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Fall/Winter/Rain coat
I couldn't be more pleased with this purchase. The liner on its own is a very nice light spring/fall jacket, and combined with the shell it makes a terrific coat for the wet winter weather. It has lots of pull cords to seal off the openings and keep in heat, and pockets enough to stash whatever you may need.
Published on November 8, 2012 by Bruce

2.0 out of 5 stars Warning!!! Omni-Heat reflective coating flakes off!
Published 11 months ago by Scott A Redding

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Fall/Winter/Rain coat, November 8, 2012

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Jacket., December 10, 2012
I used this jacket for skiing and it kept me warm and dry. It was actually too warm (my fault, wore an extra layer of clothing which I didn't need). I had the underarm vent open the whole time and was still dry inside after skiing. Best part of all I got it for a good price and the product is well-made. The liner is also good by itself.

2.0 out of 5 stars Warning!!! Omni-Heat reflective coating flakes off!, December 28, 2013
This review is from: Columbia Men's Whirlibird II Interchange Jacket (Sports Apparel)
I bought a Whirlybird from Dicks Sports about 2 years ago (earlier version, but same reflective liner), and now I've noticed every time I take off the coat, it leaves shiny flecks of silver all over my cloths and skin. I have only worn it for about 4 months out of the year for short periods of time, and have never needed to wash it (it's otherwise in mint and clean condition).

I was reluctant to by the coat in the first place because I was afraid the Omni-Heat thermal reflective layer was just painted on and would eventually wear off. It looks like my fears were right. Do not buy anything from Columbia that has this reflective layer; it will not last!

I have been a Columbia fan up until now and I am otherwise happy with the jacket, But this gimmicky product has caused me to lose a lot of respect for the brand. I'm covered in Omni-Heat glitter as I'm typing this!

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, warm dry-snow jacket, horrendous in wet weather, January 31, 2014
Timm T. "ClockworkTimm" (New York, New York United States) - See all my reviews
Pros:

I've had this jacket for just about 1 season now. I've been at the top of mountains with in temps of -15, not including wind chill. I've been Colorado backcountry boarding and traveled with this everywhere. The interchangable jacket has been awesome. The internal jacket/liner looks great by itself when stepping out at night and want to look more stylish than someone who has just got off the slopes. When it's been snowing, I've kept warm and dry.

Cons:

Getting stuck out in rain (>1-2 hours) or wet snow, you will be, at a minimum, damp if not straight up wet. I had faith in the Columbia brand and the claim of "WATERPROOF". I see that is not the case. I have NEVER washed the jacket outside of the given parameters and NEVER, EVER tumble dried it. It has always been a hang dry jacket. Given the above weather scenario, the outer pockets were wet. Fortunately, I stored my phone on the inside pocket.

Within 4 months, one of the velcro tabs closures on the front fell off and then one of the "poppers".

I was expecting more for this jacket and will continue to wear it (except in wet conditions) until completely falls apart. This is my second Columbia jacket where I've persevered, hoping the outcome will be better.

Sorry, Columbia, you've lost a huge fan for life.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great coat, but the fabric creates static, which attracts pet fur, December 17, 2012
Our Minnesota winter has been unusually mild so far, so I haven't tested it yet in those sub-zero temperatures with lots of wind chill from those blasts of Arctic air that we get, but it's certainly warm in moderate winter temperatures.

I've had 2 Columbia coats before this one. This is the first Columbia jacket I've ever had that's made with an outer shell material that creates static electricity, so it attracts pet fur. :( With two cats and a dog, that's a problem, since there's always a little fur here or there that will stick to it. I bought the black jacket, which is sharp looking, but light colored fur easily shows on it. I don't like the idea of buying more "sticky rollers" on a regular basis to keep it fur-free.

I also prefer snaps to velcro. Velcro wears out faster and I don't like the loud noise it makes when opening the coat, which can be a problem if removing the coat at a time or place when quiet is expected. Velcro strips do close over more of the front flap of the coat, so I suppose that will help keep out more of the chill from those 35 mph winds when its -15º. :)

I've always loved my Columbia coats and each one has lasted for years before needing to be replaced or semi-retired to being used as a "work" coat for snowblowing, etc., instead of being used for going out. I'm sure that I'll get years of good use from this coat, too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Ski Jacket at This Price Point, February 22, 2013
I have been skiing for 45 years and know a bit about ski wear. I am an ex-professional freestyle skier and taught freestyle skiing in Aspen, Colorado. I purchased this jacket to replace an older jacket that frankly, was in bad need of replacement. I have been using the jacket since December in all conditions and temperatures and it is very, very warm. The main reason for purchasing this jacket was the removable liner. So you get two jackets for the price of one. A cold weather jacket and a waterproof/windproof jacket for spring/warmer temperature skiing. The hood is also removable, which is another neat feature.

If you are in need of pockets for "your stuff", than look no further than this jacket. It has so many external and internal compartments that I doubt you will ever use them all. If you do, you have WAY too much "stuff"'

Final note, Sports Authority wanted $230 for this exact same jacket. I know because I tried it on there prior to purchasing it from Amazon at nearly 50% of the Sports Authority price.

Now that you know, get one!

3.0 out of 5 stars Warm and full-featured, but with one annoying drawback, February 9, 2013
I bought this new interchange jacket to take with me on a winter trip to Europe. Luckily our trip didn't end up being as cold as I had predicted and I never needed both parts of the jacket to be used together. Using just the outer shell was a bit baggy to wear alone, so after a few days I switched to the inner jacket which was more comfortable. As we progressed through our trip it got warmer and warmer and a few times I started sweating while we were out exploring cities. What I found is that if my sweaty arms were up against the inside of the inner jacket liner (the fancy 'silver' stuff), it can cause the silver particles to detach from the jacket - so we would get back to the hotel and my arms would be all 'glittery' with tiny silver particles from the Colombia jacket.

This seems like the fact that the silver particles can detach easily is a major downfall that I'd hope they would correct in the next version. If not for this issue, I'd easily give it 4-5 stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Has done very well through the multiple Polar Vortexes, March 5, 2014
Have worn for hours shoveling snow in Chicago this winter. Not as bulky as my previous coat and does a good job keeping me warm. Would recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best thing since sliced bread (in the winter)., November 28, 2014
Stupid fracking warm. The first time I wore this coat, it was 3* outside, windchill -*8. It was so warm, I was only aware I was in cold weather because my face was exposed to the elements. Today, I wore the inner liner outside in *32 weather, and it was perfect. The outside liner is very water resistant, and after being worn out in heavy snow and rain mix, it dried completely in 20 minutes. Nothing inside was wet at all. It has a million pockets. It is attractive. Buy this coat while you still can, because they don't make it anymore. I can't wait to take it on a winter hike.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very warm, nice quality but problems with sizing, December 12, 2012
The coat is very warm, the quality is good but could be better. I bought it for skiing but it is not only for that purpose, can be used everywhere.
As I said the quality could be better but for the price that I paid (135$) you can't get better quality anywhere else.

My only problem is the sizing, usually I wear "Large" in coats and jackets, so I ordered "L". I am 191 cm (6'2") and 73 kg (160 lbs) and Large fits me too loose. I will probably change it to Medium.

UPDATE:

So I ordered MEDIUM size and it fits perfect. I went for skiing with it, it was -6 °C overall temperature,however on ski lifts, with winds it was much colder and I did not feel any cold on my body. During skiing it was not too warm either. So I am very happy with this Jacket.