5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible Tool
Published on July 6, 2011 by Mr. Encyclopedia

2.0 out of 5 stars Really? It's so small.
Published on October 4, 2012 by Amazon Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible Tool, July 6, 2011
This review is from: Columbia River Knife And Tool's Eat N Tool 9100Kc Black Oxide Multi Tool (Tools & Home Improvement)
Tell me if this sounds familiar: You're out in the woods with a can of pork and beans and a cold one. The can has one of those easy-open lids so you don't need a can opener, but you sure need a spoon to eat them and a bottle opener to get a sip of that cold one. Also, you have a small array of metric bolts and standard-drive screws that you need to tighten. Until now, there was no single tool that could accomplish all these tasks. This, my friends, is a spork with torque.

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty cool tool for backpackers, January 14, 2011
I bought one of these mainly because it looked cool and instead actually found it to be pretty valuable. First of all, the EatN Tool feels like a solid piece of metal. I had half expected this to be a flimsy and cheaply made. It definitely doesn't feel like a sub-$10 piece of hardware.

The wrench part of the EatN Tool confuses me. In all honesty, I don't know when this would come in handy. I'd rather it come with Phillips Screwdriver or something else. The screwdriver and bottle opener are the best tools on this. The spork itself is pretty cool and works well for a quick eating utensil. The carabiner is pretty small and will clip onto a bag.

Overall for $6.50, it's a pretty neat camping accessory. I subtracted a star because of the relative uselessness of the wrenches and that I received a defective EatNTool.

5.0 out of 5 stars CRKT Multitool Awesomeness, April 11, 2011
Reglith Lunus (The First State) - See all my reviews
Yes, as one reviewer said, this is stamped steel, probably, but I have to respectfully disagree with the 'sub-par steel' part. The steel is solid, stainless (of course), and treated in some unknown way until it reached between 51-53 Rockwell Hardness. For those of you who don't wear knives, and spit out knife terminology, and eat steel for breakfast, Rockwell Hardness is a scale for determining how soft or hard a steel is, the lower the number, the more soft and impact resistant the steel is, the higher the number, the greater the hardness, and the more brittle and susceptible to chipping the steel is (That is NOT an exact definition, look it up if you are curious, because I could be wrong on the finer points, but I know I am right in the main). Serious knives, not the wimpy junk stainless steel ones that make you feel less manly just by holding them, but serious knives made by serious custom makers, are forged and treated to an upwards of 60 Rockwell. So, in reality, for stainless steel...not too shabby, not too shabby at all. CRKT is one of the leading companies because they offer low cost, high quality steel, they don't cut corners because they like to. Yeah, I wish it was not stamped steel too, but in reality, does it matter? Sharpen one of these up, and it will serve as a knife, a spoon, a fork, a pry bar, a flat driver, 10, 8, and 6mm wrenches, and a bottle opener. All this for an ever changing price usually below ten dollars? That is good stuff, men and women. Oh, and like one reviewer said, it could service as a self defense tool as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really a wonderful little tool and a great price, April 22, 2011
Perfect little tool for camping or backpacking...........I sent 6 of them to my son and his buddies in IRAQ - they love them for MRE's.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bought a dozen, January 10, 2011
As the title says, I liked this so much I bought 12 - one for every member of my team.

The EnT is a great multi purpose item. Basic use as a spork is done well. I wouldn't want to eat a thin soup with this because the bowl of the spoon is not very deep but its more than enough for rice or beans. The sides are straight enough to be a blunt knife. The fork tongs are not very deep so you want to give meat a good stab. The handle is ok - not the most comfortable thing but functional.

As for the rest, the bottle opener and screwdriver are the most useful. The "wrench" part will hold a nut/bolt head in a pinch. Where it would really help is holding while something else turns the other fastener. One "undocumented feature" - With your middle finger in the large hole and the rest of your fist wrapped around the handle, this thing would be lethal in close quarters. The carabiner is pretty much useless for anything other than clipping inside a pack. Snag on anything and it will come off. For military types, the spork end fits perfectly in one space of a MOLLE/PALS system.

Overall and excellent, lightweight addition to any gear.

2.0 out of 5 stars Really? It's so small., October 4, 2012
Wow, I'm surprised at the number of 5 star reviews on this. I am a fan of CRKT, especially for their forward design. I'm an industrial designer and teach product design as well. A really important thing missing from the Eat N Tool is handle length. A simple handle is on every utensil world wide and lets you hold onto it with more than just your fingertips. Because of this, it also keeps your fingertips close to hot foods when cooking and it can't even reach the bottom of a can. Effective fork? No. Effective spoon for liquids? No. Handy tools? Sort of, but I'd rather keep a Leatherman Style CS clipped to my belt loop than a spoon (It's also smaller). Cool factor? Yes, kind of. It looks nice but when you realize the functionality problems the cool factor goes way down.

I think for size it's pretty small while still completing it's task, but a nice plastic fork and spoon are barely larger and maybe a slight difference in weight. Fancy titanium utensils will keep your weight down if it's that critical, or a $2 for a dozen pair of bamboo chopsticks take just a tiny space.

I think it's a nice looking design with a techy caribiner and an easy price point that people will want to add to their shopping cart, but not the best tool for the job IMHO.

1.0 out of 5 stars really dumb purchase, July 7, 2012
Dycus (san francisco, ca United States) - See all my reviews
bought it just to round out an order to get free shipping on something else. What a dumb product. the spoon portion is ridiculously short-won't get into a can. The tools (save the bottle opener) are useless. The fork tines cut more than they stab. Kinda goofy to hold. Ended up buying a soup spoon and a nice salad fork, and drilling a hole into them. The enclosed carbiner was nice. Used it on my home-made spoon and fork set. This is something that looks cool, but is essentially non-practical.

2.0 out of 5 stars Next to useless., July 2, 2012
Max (Trenton, NJ USA) - See all my reviews
There is no purpose for this "tool" other than the gadget factor. It does all of it's jobs poorly with the exception of the screwdriver. As others pointed out, the tines are too small, the bowl is too shallow and the whole thing is too short. It's concept is pretty cool and the design is innovative, but it just doesn't work for anything. Hang it off your pack as a conversation starter but that's about it. I think the only reason it has gotten as high of reviews as it did is because of the "cool" factor and the price point. But if it can't function, what's the point?

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Lightweight Tool for Backpacking, December 5, 2010
Let me start off by saying that I did not purchase this item from Amazon but I do own this product.

As an avid camper and backpacker I have found this tool to be quite useful.

It is perfect for light-weight backpacking and a true value for under $10. I have mainly used this tool as an eating utensil while out on the trail. The carabineer is a nice feature...when you are done using it, simply attach it to the back of your pack and go.

I have yet to use the wrench components of this tool. While it would be useful for a cyclist, I don't think it would be too comfortable to grip for use as a wrench.

Overall, I think its completely worth purchasing if the price is less than $10.

1.0 out of 5 stars Expensive spork, September 14, 2012
I received this as a gift and am glad to find that it only cost $5. However, I don't feel that it is worth even that much. I used it at home to get a feel for its utility and was immediately challenged. No matter how I held the tool I felt like a toddler just learning to handle a spoon. It is also too short to be useful in getting food out of any but the shallowest of cans. I asked the friend who gave it to me for his thoughts as he had also bought one for himself. He had the same difficulties. When using this as an eating utensil I found it most useful for directing food from a tilted bowl/can/cup/etc..., not for scooping or spearing.

The most positive thing I can say about this is that the pry tool on the cross end is very handy.

Columbia River Knife And Tool's Eat N Tool 9100Kc Black Oxide Multi Tool