on October 12, 2012
Verified Purchase
I've been exceptionally pleased with this jacket. A few reasons why:

1. Warm. I've worn this in temperatures below freezing with nothing but a t-shirt underneath, and I've been very warm. The Omni-Heat technology uses small metallic dots on the interior lining to reflect heat back at your body. I admit I was skeptical at first, but it works. There is a thin layer of insulation as well inside the jacket which also works very well.

2. Lightweight. I've never had a jacket his warm be so lightweight. It's the lightest winter jacket I've owned.

3. Water-repellent. The ripstop material that the exterior is constructed from keeps water and fluid spills out. Columbia call this their Omni-Shield technology, and it does function as advertised. I've comfortably used this in a moderate rain with the hood up.

4. Breathable. While the material keeps you warm, it does allow your body to breathe, so you won't feel like you're wrapped in a plastic bag.

I would warn everyone that the aforementioned metallic dots on the interior lining make for a very shiny surface. I would not let that deter you - it is not visible even when I wear it unzipped. Overall, this is a great jacket.
on January 4, 2013
Verified Purchase
To start off. I wasn't sure how I was going to like this when I ordered it as I like to try things on in stores first but couldn't find it...I saw it for 80 dollars on sale from this seller so I took a chance. I am quite pleased that I did!

Here's what I like about the jacket:

1. It has 3 pockets, two hand-warmer pockets and an inside chest pocket.
2. It has draw strings for BOTH the hood, and the hem/waist line.
3. It has a small second layer around the wrist cuffs, that is elastic, to prevent things like snow and wind from blowing up the jacket.
4. There is a small piece of fabric near the top of the zipper that folds over...making it comfortable to zip all the way up (it prevents the zipper from rubbing against your chin and making you uncomfortable)
5.It fit PERFECT! when I got it! I'm 6'2, 200lbs, and I usually am on the fence between a Large and a Medium...I went with a Large and it fits perfectly at all points...arms, chest, length, hood etc.
6. It's not TOO lofty, but still warm. It also compresses down to a little smaller than a football if you roll it up and put it in a vacuum bag to cut down on space when traveling.
7. It's a good under layer coat. I snowboard, so I can throw this under my other gear. It's not too puffy that it won't fit under a soft-shell, or a bigger coat.
8. It's pretty good quality. It hasn't warn out yet, and the Omni Heat technology does what it says it will. I always wonder how these types of puffy soft coats will hold up against time....but I think if you just take care of it correctly, it'll last a very long time.

Cons:

None that I've found yet! Worth every penny I paid! Hope this helps someone! Cheers!
on December 27, 2012
Size Name: SmallColor Name: Bright RedVerified Purchase
First off the Jacket was to small even when I followed their sizing chart, I got a small as a skinny 5' 10" male, but it came out to be to short on me.
Second, the jacket is very stylish and looks very nice for just casual but once going out to winter weather, way too light to do the job. It does have the reflective insulation, but that still doesn't help that much.

If you're looking for a light stylish jacket, go with this.
If you're planning on going to the mountains to ski or snowboard soon, don't get it, you'll freeze.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 24, 2012
Size Name: Large TallColor Name: BlackVerified Purchase
I was looking for a warm coat but was tired of the weight most winter coats have. Saw the commercial for the Omni Heat jackets from Columbia and thought it was an interesting concept. After reading through multiple reviews I decided to give it a try and see if it actually works.

Once I received the coat I was completely shocked at how lightweight the coat was. It weights no more then a windbreaker which is ridiculous considering it's made for cold temperatures. I really did have major doubts that a coat this thin and lightweight would actually keep you warm in cold temperatures. After wearing it through some pretty cold weather in Colorado I feel I had enough time with it to do a review on it.

Now people should know this coat isn't going to keep you warm in 5 degree weather. I've warn it outside in 20 degree weather with a good wind chill and it does a good enough job keeping you warmish. I feel this model of coat is better rated for 30 degrees and up because you do get pretty cold in anything lower without adding layers underneath.

I feel the coat is great at stopping wind from reaching your body only when you have it zipped all the way up to your chin. If you don't zip it to your chin the wind does go down the coat and makes you cold. The same can be said about needing to zip the coat all the way up in cold weather, without wind, in order to stay warm. If you don't the Omni-Heat does almost nothing to keep your body heat inside.

Overall I'm very satisfied with the coat. It's very lightweight and does a better than expected job at keeping me warm in the winter. I would probably buy the more expensive down version of this coat if you're planning on using it in harsh cold.
on December 28, 2012
Size Name: Large TallColor Name: BlackVerified Purchase
It's a great fit(6'1'', thin build), but it's really not as warm as I originally thought and is actually kind of a thin jacket. I live in the mid-Atlantic so I was looking for something that was really warm.

Not waterproof, only OK with misty main at most.

DO NOT PUT IN DRIER!!
on November 16, 2012
Size Name: MediumColor Name: BlackVerified Purchase
I have purchased it for 80+ bucks and it is worth the money. It is definitely light on our body unlike those heavy 2 piece jackets. But the Omni heat technology deliver what it promised, dont know how. It is worth the money and so far I am really happy with the product.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Size Name: MediumColor Name: BlackVerified Purchase
Got mine for $89. I'm a 5'10.5" average build guy. Medium was a perfect fit.
I really like the system used to tighten the hood and waist.
Quality seems good. Wouldn't wear it out into the woods without a shell as I'm afraid the material would tear on a branch.
Warm so far, down in the upper 20's today and I felt good.
Very Light!
The girl likes the style, so I've got that goin for me!
on December 30, 2012
Let me start off by saying I rarely write reviews. Additionally, I didn't even purchase the jacket from Amazon. Just wanted to share my thoughts on this jacket as I LOVE IT!

Wind Resistance: 7/8 out of 10. Good, would estimate between 30-40 MPH is handled fine.
Water Resistance: 7 out of 10. Good but not waterproof. It will soak through the surface shell layer though won't get you wet.
Warmth: 8.5/9 out of 10. Fantastic warmth to weight ratio. The jacket is light as a feather though insulates extremely well. I wear a couple thin layers (i.e. t-shirt and long sleeve t-shirt) plus this jacket and am comfortable down to ~30 degrees F. Hood wraps perfectly around my face (covering my neck...no need for a scarf) and is lightly insulated also.
Breathability: 8 out of 10. Haven't sweat and feel just fine walking around the mall with this on.

Do not hesitate to buy this jacket...it's seriously the BEST jacket I've ever purchased. BTW, I'm 5'8" and ~175 lbs...I wear a Large in this jacket which allows full freedom of movement. On the slopes, commuting to work, etc...can't beat it!

ONLY improvement: better wind/water resistance...make it wind AND waterproof then I'd say it's nearly a perfect jacket.
on December 27, 2012
Size Name: XX-LargeColor Name: Mystery
This jacket/coat is lightweight and warm. It is perfect for a guy not used to wearing anything other than sweatshirts and hoodies.
on December 24, 2012
Size Name: Large TallColor Name: BlackVerified Purchase
This is a nice looking jacket and I have received several compliments from it. It is warm for its weight, but it's not meant to be a heavy duty jacket. However, I think I will have to wear many layers with it if I was to go a full-day skiing.