Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Columbia Men's Silver Ridge Convertible Pant, Tusk, 38x36-Inch
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

Size: 38 inches|Color: Tusk|Change
Price:$29.83 - $129.10

on June 20, 2012
One word for the Columbia Silver Ridge Convertible Pants.....A-M-A-Z-I-N-G!

I'm 26 years old. I was afraid I'd be judged and ridiculed by my peers for purchasing and overusing pants that turn into shorts. To be honest, I stopped listening to my friends after the first criticism because I was in paradise wearing these glorious pants. When I'm in these bad boys, I feel like I might as well just never take them off. Here's why:

-The fabric feels like it was developed in the future and sent back to Columbia via time machine. There's no way you can make something SO comfortable with modern day textile factories. All kidding aside, I traveled 24 hours in planes in these pants and I can't think of anything better to wear.

-Length and width were as advertised. The scary part of ordering clothes online are always the dimensions. You ask yourself "will I be getting another set of clown clothes?" Not in this case. Don't order too small in the waste, as the belt allows you tighten things up nicely.

-Did I mention these turn into SHORTS?! I don't care if 40 year old men rock these all day, I'm right there with them. My friends were making fun of me until they started sweating their asses off in jeans. I simply zipped and ripped...bam I was wearing shorts!!! The zippers are very high quality, no snags and easy to reassemble (even though you look ridiculous if you put the shins back on while your wearing the shorts).

All in all, these are great pants for walking long distances, traveling, and making everyone else look like an amateur. "Transform" your life and buy these bad boys. You won't give a crap what people say when your legs feel like they are resting in between sheets of pure joy.
1818 comments| 385 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 10, 2014
Smart of Seller to List by Size, as I've found that sellers on Amazon and on Ebay slightly change wording to get their product "found" by various searches that are not general enough to show all prices and options. Clever, too, as people will search by size unaware they limit their options. Thus, this listing shows at a higher price relative to some others. That said, these are good pants, and I've put my review here in hopes it will help you learn more about the product and the various prices for the IDENTICAL item.

Here's my experience with Silver Ridge Convertibles regarding size, and my suspicions. First, I am 6 foot, 195 pounds and always wear a size 32 leg length. 99% of the time a 38 waist fits fine.

Both here and on other sites there were enough reviews that strongly suggested ordering one size up. So, I did. They fit, but the waist was, well, 40, and loose but handle-able with a belt. They felt fine.

But, I am going to Europe soon and I wanted something that could look stylish too (not baggy). I have several pairs of convertible nylon hiking pants of various weights that I've used hiking and for other Europe trips. I didn't need another pair of baggyish pants. So, I ordered and got the 38W32L size of these pants, for comparison. I returned the one size up version.

Conclusions: If you want a loose pair, totally free in the legs around the knees when taking two-steps up while hiking, then buy one size up. If you want something for mainly about town and travel, get your actual size. The leg fit will be fine except if you do leg lifts and have bulked up around the thighs, or if you have a unique shape. I tend to be on the hippy side slightly, and I do not feel constricted in these 38-32s, around the knees, thighs, hips, or crotch. The crotch is not as deep as in many pants, but only slightly so, so if you are REALLY thick in the butt and center then maybe a size up would be appropriate. Put another way, if you cannot get into "regular" size jeans and always get relaxed fit, consider what I've said, but keep in mind that nylon is more flexible than thick jeans.

General: Only one zippered pocket, on the left side, perfect for the wallet. Normal side pockets (tight good quality mesh) are slightly shallow and should be somewhat deeper, to minimize coins or the like falling out while sitting, which is not likely but COULD happen. Other pockets have velcro closures. No zippers at the leg bottoms. Pant bottoms are labeled L and R on the zipper pulls, a nice convenience. These look MUCH nicer than my other, frumpy looking but serviceable, convertible pants. Length is true to size. Waistband, like most similar pants, has a bit of stretch to it. Quality of the fabric and stitching is good. I'd suggest a darker color, as such would be less likely to show dirt and when wet from rain there is no possibility of a see-though effect characteristic of very light nylon.

Nowhere on labels did I find the AX8004 designations, which appears in the product title that prompted my writing this review, which I also placed on other listings for the same pants. You would be well off to first search for "Columbia Mens Silver Ridge Convertible" to find the range of prices available, as these pants are listed slightly differently in many cases, perhaps to give particular marketplace merchants an edge. Compare prices, considering shipping, for all you find in your search under "Columbia Mens Silver Ridge Convertible."

Suspicion/speculation: I noted that many of the reviews that strongly pushed the idea that these pants are way too tight were made more than a year ago. I wonder if Columbia took note of past negative comments and had their suppliers tighten up on the variability allowed for each size specification, resulting in the apparently current true to size but only somewhat slender product.

Oh, I took one star off because pants like these should have deeper front pockets and another zippered pocket. But, would I get another pair of another color? Sure. I like 'em enough; I just don't "love" them!
88 comments| 124 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 2, 2015
These pants are very lightweight, but durable. They wear so comfortably well. They material is light and stretchy. I like where the bottoms zip off. Usually zip off pants have the zippers below the knee, which when the bottoms are zipped off, means you're almost wearing capris. Not a good look for a dude. These pants zip off just above the knee. They are perfect for autumn and spring backpacking trips, and I believe they would be great the other months of the year also. I'll be wearing them even in the summer since they are so light and will give me mosquito protection in the summer without being too hot.

Update: I had originally ordered 34x34 because that is my pant size. I have to return those and get the 36x34. The 34x34 pants seemed to fit well, but they were just a little snug which caused the crotch area to be too tight whenever I squatted. I would advise getting one waist higher. These are still awesome pants, though.

Update 2:
I wore these on a four hour hike today and they were very comfortable. I took the pant legs off before I hit the trail. The pants were very flexible and breathed well. The only slight issue I had with them was the right cargo pocket. It has a small piece of Velcro on it and by the end of the day it didn't seem to want to stick after my sweat got it wet. Minor issue in my mind, though. The left cargo pocket has a zipper on it. Not sure why the right doesn't also.

One other thing I like about these pants. The lower pant legs have an L and an R stamped on them so you don't have to guess about which one is which.
review image review image review image review image review image
on March 12, 2013
First the Pros:

+ Fits exactly. Maybe slightly more snug than other sized pants but that's not a big deal.
+ Zippers & Pockets well made.
+ Lightweight- drys fast
+ I like where the zips are for the shorts.
+ The belt is actually pretty nice and useable.

Now for the big con that drops this from a 5 to a 3.

The crotch is too tight. I'm going to invoke the three letter outdoor company and their adventure pants, which are slightly cheaper but I find are better designed than these pants. They have a gusset in the crotch for some extra maneuverability and strength that is sadly missing in these pants. I'm going to be hiking in these pants, which means lots of walking and striding. Taking anything other than a small step in these pants I can feel the fabric tense up and pull. Which means sooner or later I'm going to rip the crotch out of these things like I do with all cheap pants. I'll kneel or something and *bam* I'll have a nice six inch emergency vent.

If it wasn't for that, these would be a 5-star, favorite pair of pants I suspect. For the price I paid for these pants, I'd really, really hope they'd use a gusset in the crotch. I'm sad to see they don't.
77 comments| 126 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 5, 2012
I bought these pants for hiking the PCT Section J up in Washington during the middle of August. Took off the pant portion during day, and put them back on when we got to camp. Fortunately the weather was pretty consistently warm all day, but these pants do not have zippers at the bottom of the leg so you have to take your boots off to get the pant legs off/on. That would be my only complaint; kept me warm at night and seemed to dry quick enough when they got wet during the day.
22 comments| 54 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 18, 2015
I ordered these pants for a trip I was planning to take. I tried them on after receiving them and loved the fit. They sat on my shelf until the first day of my trip when is the first time I wore them for more than a minute. That is when I noticed the seam on one of the cargo pockets was completely unraveled, leaving a hole the entire length of the pocket. So I am unimpressed with the craftsmanship of the product. Unfortunately for me the return window closed and I am stuck with pants that are falling apart.
review image
on December 3, 2012
Took 3 pairs of these on a month long trip in the inner Himalayas . They were easy to hike in and breathed well. The run a little tight in the thighs for long strides but otherwise they were very comfortable.
on December 10, 2015
These Columbia convertible pants have held up fairly well and proven to be wonderfully quick drying. These pants have accompanied me on long canoe trips, week-long backpacking and hiking trips, and various other outdoor work. Even thorns (thankfully) didn't rip these pants! (though, I'm sure I just got lucky with that!!). The zippers for the cutoffs work well and only get slightly stuck while zipping around he leg. Best of all, I paid about $20 less for these pants on Amazon than REI charges for the same pants!!

Now the downside: These pants are very tight for their size. I'm a skinny guy, but even after buying the half size up from what I am (mostly cause they don't offer my size in most pants) I found these pants to hug VERY tightly around my thighs and crotch -- which has both been uncomfortable in times of stretching and led to a rip in the crotch seam. Dear Columbia, dudes have packages...give them some ball space!

OVERALL: Great quality, great at drying quickly, but WAY TOO SMALL in the crotch and thighs!
on December 17, 2014
Best pants ever. I tried several near-copies at a local sporting goods store, but at the end of the day, Columbia Silver Ridge is the best and Amazon makes the prices easy to live with. The color listed as Gravel is actually green, while the color listed as Grill is actually gray. Who knows where they get these color names, and it's hard to tell from the pictures.
on March 20, 2016
Bought a pair of these in July of 2013 and liked them a lot; bought a second pair in August, 2014. By late 2015 the seams of the back pockets were failing on both pairs. Clearly a poor choice of thread . . . and it leaves me wondering about the other seams in these pants. I've written to Columbia about the problem; hopefully they'll respond in a helpful way. Sadly, I'm not sure what they can do if the same thread has been used throughout the pants.
review image