Industrial-Sized Deals TextBTS15 Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Beach House $5 Off Fire TV Stick Grocery Shop Popular Services pivdl pivdl pivdl  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Nintendo Digital Games Shop Back to School with Amazon Back to School with Amazon Outdoor Recreation Baby Sale

TOP 500 REVIEWERon January 18, 2014
COMPARED TO BONEHEAD SHIRT (I purchased and wear both)
> The Bonehead Shirt from the same manufacture is VERY similar, almost identical except for the fabric. Columbia Men's Bonehead Long Sleeve Shirt.

SIMILARITIES
> The dense weave of both are very good at blocking the UV rays, but the Bahama II is better.
> The ventilation flap in back of both helps to keep you cool in the sun.
> Both have 4 major placket pockets, albeit in a slightly different arrangement. Both arrangements have shortcomings.
>> The deep closable placket pockets are very handy.
>> The smaller pockets (in front of the big pockets) of both are very handy for cell phones, MP3 players, or small radios. For example Kaito KA200 Pocket AM/FM Radio, Black. Especially around water, you want your wallet and electronics to be as high as possible---not in vulnerable pants pockets.
> Both have skinny "button down" collars, except that the Bonehead uses velcro patches rather than buttons.
> Both have special straps to hold the sleeves rolled up, when desired.
> Both have other loops from which you can hang things (e.g., using small carabineers), which are very handy for many purposes.

DIFFERENCES
The Bahama II is all nylon; the Bonehead is all cotton, as a result:
> The Bonehead wicks moisture well; the Bahama II, not so much. So:
> The Bonehead is more comfortable in hot humid conditions; the silky Bahama II is more comfortable in moderate dry conditons
> The Bahama II dries quicker
> The Bahama II offers the maximum UV protection

MY RECOMMENDATION
> For all day, every day, in full bright sunlight, particularly in the tropics or high altitude, or for individuals who are unusually sensitive to UV, I'd recommend the Bahama II.
> For up to 6 hours or so once or twice a week in full bright sunlight, or longer in weaker or broken sunlight, I prefer the Bonehead.

USES
> Both are designed as fishing shirts, and are no doubt "fashionable" and functional for the purpose.
> Popular with the "boating class"---I saw many on Barbados, St. Kitts, and at the exclusive Friday Harbor resort on San Juan Island in Washington State this summer (and no, I'm not "boating class"---those were business trips).
> I use the shirts for doing yardwork and outdoor photography (for both purposes the multiple big pockets and loops to hang stuff from come in handy)
> I would never wear one to a party because the intended fit is unflattering, and the shirts wrinkle easily. But I've seen them at some fashionable parties where they are apparently worn to make a "class" statement.
> The Bahama II might get uncomfortable for activities such as hiking, yardwork, or playing tennis, in which case the Bonehead is recommended.
> The Bahama II is more comfortable for "sitting around" in the sun, such as fishing, lounging around the pool, watching a kid's baseball game, etc., especially in low humidity.

TAYLORING
The shirts are tailored for men with relatively broad shoulders. Since they are meant to be worn outside pants, they are looser in the chest and waist than corresponding dress shirts.

SIZE
> I normally wear a men's medium (a little snug) to men's large (a little loose). The "men's large" fits me exactly like the model in the photos. The chest and waist are loose, which is good for a casual shirt which is not meant to be tucked into pants. The sleeves are a little long (by dress shirt standards), but again, that is good for a casual shirt. The shoulders are several inches too wide (as in the photos), but the shirt is apparently designed to fit this way.
> CONCLUSION: Order according to your customary size (not the size chart, which is very misleading), with the caveat that the shirts are intended to fit very loosely. If if you can't decide which size to order, err on the small side. Amazon accepts returns, and you don't have to pay for return postage.

PRICE
Check out the prices of different colors. On Amazon, some colors are half-the-price of other colors. Get two shirts for the price of one (if you aren't too picky about the colors). Since the fit is an issue for many purchasers, Amazon gets a lot of returns---which are bargains as "Amazon Warehouse Deals" (I got one for $14)---the links are variously listed on the page as "new and used" or "other options" etc. if any are available.

PROTECTION AGAINST SCRATCHES AND SCRAPES
> On one hand, the thin fabric (especially of the Bahama II) is easily pierced by small needle-like thorns (e.g., many cactus thorns), and provides little cushioning against scrapes. On the other hand, the dense weave prevents penetration by blunt objects, such as broken ends of branches, and branches slide off the "slick" fabric of the Bahama II rather than jab or scrape. So, the shirt is pretty good for light yard work. With a heavy long-sleeve tee-shirt (or sweatshirt) underneath, you have excellent protection from all kinds of scrapes and scratches. The shirts probably resist deep penetration by fish hooks.
> The smooth almost-slippery fabric of the Bahama II does not readily hold dry particulate "dirt", such as soil or leaf fragments often encountered in gardening.
> The Bonehead has characteristics of an ordinary cotton shirt, but tougher.

SUGGESTION
If the temperature is moderate, a light cotton tee-shirt can improve comfort, and (with a tee-shirt) you can wear the shirt like a jacket, unbuttoned.
on September 8, 2011
I live in the desert south west along the Rocky Mountain range, so skin cancer is a real problem here. I've been out in the sun for 8-10 hour's a day for 10 day's straight - & at over 7,000 ft - fly fishing, & the "Omni-Shade" protection this shirt provides has been nothing less than outstanding! I'm fair skinned, so I can't afford to get burnt.

I was out fishing last week in a high mountain stream, stumbled & took a fall right into a mud hole! The whole right side of me was covered in mud. So I took off my shirt, rinsed it in the stream, put it back on, and in just a few minutes the shirt was completely dry and there were no visible stains to speak of! (Lucky for me 'cause I would have never heard the end of it from my buddies when I got back to camp ;)

IMHO... If your looking for a durable yet breathable fishing shirt with optimum UV protection, I can't recommend the Columbia Bahama II Shirt enough! In fact, I think I'm gonna order me another one in a different color on I get done writing this review!

Tight Lines...
><((((º> J
on March 18, 2011
As soon as I unpacked this shirt I was disappointed. The button holes are the worst I have ever seen. Many of the holes have stray threads which catch on the button and unravel when I unbuttoned the shirt. I have not had a chance to wear it yet but this is not an indication of a well made shirt. I also received another shirt (Sportif) also from Amazon and it appears to be much better made and the shirts are very similar in design. I will not be ordering any other products from Columbia.

Update: Today I went to a local retail store and looked at their Columbia shirts. I looked at a lot of shirts and never found one loose thread. It makes me wonder if the shirt I received from this company is a 2nd, or worse yet counterfeit. All the shirts in the store looked to be of fine quality so I bought two more.
on March 16, 2010
I bought these for my husband. He works in a Florida State Park and he is outside all day in the sun. These shirts are lightweight, airy, and the sage color does not show dirt as quickly as the lighter colors. The only negative is that the buttons are not sewn on good enough, and you will probably have to sew one or two back on.
on July 15, 2013
I bought this as a gift for my husband. Please follow the reviews. My husband is normally wears a XL in his shirts. I reluctantly ordered a L based on all of the reviews and thank goodness I did. It fits him and is still a little big, but he likes the fit.
on February 21, 2014
runs big, I ordered a medium but it was really large i don't really have a gut and I'm medium build small would of been a little better of a fit. But keeps the sweat off you would buy again in a different color and in small
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
This is a nice shirt. It is very thin, so I wonder how well it will hold up. After careful examination, I've not found any defects in this shirts construction. I like the features and fit.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
this is a great shirt ideal for tropical weather, shipped on time, just one detail the color is not as seen on the web, there is a difference between the real color, but i like it.
on April 23, 2014
The pockets have little tags that read PFG. That does not mean pancake fritter globs. It does not mean paper fudge giraffes. What it does mean is Pro Fishing Gear. I did not know this until I already owned the shirt and someone asked me. Then I had to use my phone and look it up. Then I had to explain that I am not a fisherman.

I don't fish and have never fished but I wear this shirt just in case I feel like fishing so I will be ready. It has fancy loops and pockets that might be able to hold a fish. If you were a fisherman would you put fish in those pockets? Did I mention that water is scared of this shirt? If you put water on this shirt it will freak out and try and get away as soon as possible. Its pretty funny to watch.

The back of the shirt has this flap that lets air in and out of your body. The bad news is if you stink it will let the stank out. You might even call it a stank flap. But don't worry because there is a mesh netting in there to keep anything from getting back into your shirt. I wonder if you took off the shirt you could use the netting to catch a fish.

Overall it is a very nice shirt. I wore it to the grocery store. The lady at the checkout said it was very nice. The fellow bagging groceries said my shirt made me look important. I don't know about all that but I really liked standing in the sea food department wearing this shirt. I fit about 25 frozen shrimps in one pocket!

Over all I have to say that this shirt makes me feel good when I wear it and that's what clothes should be all about. I kind of feel like that guy in Jurassic park. You know the main guy who wrote books about dinosaurs not the old dude who made the dinosaurs come back to life. Now all I need is a cool hat that makes me look like a fisherman but makes me feel like going and seeing dinosaurs run around.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on June 9, 2011
I live in Az, and recently bought 4 of these shirts. This is one of the best shirts I have ever owned. Along with uv protection, the fabric is light on your skin even at 100 degrees in the sun. There are not many shirts that can stand up to the Az sun and heat. I highly recommend this shirt to anyone who works outdoors.