Automotive Deals Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Ruby jewelry Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

on October 14, 2012
Overall, this is a wonderful jacket. You can't go wrong with Columbia. However, most of their jackets run slightly large. So, if you're on the edge between two sizes or if you like a tighter fit, it would be best to order down a size.
55 comments| 227 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 4, 2013
When I look at reviews for clothing items, I like to see reviews that include the reviewers size, only because ordering clothes online can be difficult , and as we all know, manufacturers sizing belongs to their own, so a large on one product is more like a medium, etc etc... So I'll start out with that first... I'm 6 ft, with a 48 chest and 36-38 waist. My dress shirts have an arm length of about 34-35. The distance from the bottom of my neck/throat to my waist line is about 21-22 inches. And I weigh about 235 pounds. The XL sized fleece, which is the size I normally get in everything.... Was perfect for me. Plenty of chest room, arm room, and more than enough mid-section room, and I tried this one with just a thin under armour shirt on. I should add that the fleece does go below my specific waist line, approx 3-4 inches, which is a plus of course because I don't like jackets and fleeces that just end right at the waistline. After I wear some layers underneath, it can only be a better fit. I have to point out, I don't like tight jackets and this isn't one of them. So I hope this helps with sizing, at least with someone close to my size. As far as quality, no shortcuts taken. Stitching and sewing were done correctly, and the fleece is great for warmth.
22 comments| 96 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 3, 2014
I ordered this jacket a couple days before a group hike up Icehouse Canyon in the San Gabriel Mountains National Monument. I knew it would be cold and would likely be raining on the hike and didn't want to freeze. I already had a Columbia waterproof windbreaker but wanted more warmth than a windbreaker could provide and didn't want to get overheated.

When the jacket arrived, I was surprised by how well it fit. After reading all those reviews saying the jacket ran large, I wasn't sure what I'd get. But it fit perfectly and I took it on my hike up Icehouse Canyon. We eventually encountered a cold rain as expected but the Columbia Men's Steens Fleece Jacket kept me warm, even though my "waterproof" windbreaker was completely saturated. I was very satisfied by the way it fit underneath the windbreaker (first photo).

I've also used this jacket for snow hikes like Mt Baden Powell (second photo) and it performed well. My only gripe with this jacket and the reason I deducted one star, is that the jacket is somewhat bulky and seems to take up the entire backpack when you're not wearing it.

Overall, this is an excellent jacket for cool weather hikes if you don't mind how bulky it is.

NOTE: For whatever reason, Amazon decided to strip out the two photos I had included in my review showing the Columbia Fleece jacket in use on rain and snow hikes. It's their site so I suppose they can do what they want. Even if it doesn't make any sense. In any case, you can view the entire uncensored review on my dayhikingtrails.com site in the Gear Review section.
on November 21, 2012
I'm very pleased with this fleece. It fits well, it's light, it was a great price($35), and it keeps the chill out on a cold night. Also the inside and outside pockets are nice and deep.

My two issues are that the inside pockets have no zipper or buttons so I don't feel comfortable putting anything valuable in them for fear that they could fall out if I set it down(I've had that happen before in other jackets). And the color is not quite what it shows on the website. I got the Sanguine/Grill and thought it would be reddish and dark gray when it's really a dark orange and slightly dark gray. If I had paid more attention I'd have noticed the Sanguine preview being very orange(though on mine it isn't as bright) and gone with the Red Element/Charcoal one instead. The Sanguine/Grill colors do look good even though they are not quite what I was looking for and I won't be exchanging it.

There is a picture on my profile showing the colors.

*Update 12/16/13*

The stitching on the right-hand inside that held the drawstring came undone at some point. I didn't notice it until I tried to put something in the right pocket and it just fell straight to the floor. The stitching also held the bottom of both the inside and outside pockets closed. Should be a simple fix with a needle and thread. Worth noting in terms of quality and durability though.
review image
55 comments| 139 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 8, 2015
I feel like I have to gentle with it but then again so worth the less than $30 it cost. It does its job effectively as one of several layers and keeps me cozy by itself when it's chilly but not too cold. No problem with the comfort & fit, can't complain.

Sources: I exclusively used this in tandem with a rain jacket when I spent 3 months climbing in Glacier National Park's high country. I experienced some pretty gnarly weather during my time up there and I can say this fleece never let me down for what it's worth.

Picture: I'm on the left with my middle layer of fleece keeping me warm and agile on top of Mount Reynolds, the tallest mountain in the area around Logan's Pass Visitor Center. It was awesome!
on December 14, 2014
As a person who purchases fleece to make blankets, I know my material well. This fleece material is one of the cheapest that can be purchased. If you look closely at it when it arrives (I bought it online) it looks as though its slightly clumpy or matted from the start. This means that after 4-6 washes this fleece material will definitely have a matted appearance and appear much more worn than it is. The fleece fabric used is also very thin. If you turn the jacket inside out and push your finger firmly into the fabric, it appears that it wouldn't take much pressure to tear. I'm not suggesting gauging it with a blunt object, but it should withstand normal pushing as a clothing item will get when be put on and taken off etc. Again., thats a test us fleece blanket makers check for when purchasing fabric for a blanket that we desire to last through years of "normal" wear and washing. I honestly do not feel this jacket would hod up well beyond maybe 6 months.
Columbia is known for having quality merchandise so that is why I chose this maker. I am very disappointed in the quality of the material. I am certain the reviews on here are from buyers who received their jacket, see how soft it is, tried it on and thought it was well made and left a glowing review. I am curious to hear an update from a buyer after they have worn and washed this jacket a few times. I bought this jacket on sale for $36.00 (original price tag of $60.00) Unfortunately I am returning it today.
Old Navy is known for using VERY cheap material for a majority of their clothing, however they use much better quality fleece for their jackets. I know because I own a couple Old Navy fleece jackets. they're not as stylish as Columbia. Quite plain actually, but mine have held up for several years and still look nice. Old Navy fleece jackets go on sale for $9.99 - $14.99 often, especially around Christmas. Looks like I'll be heading back there to pick a few more up.
33 comments| 32 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 5, 2016
Beware! The one I got was an imitation. How do I know? I bought the real thing from the factory a month ago. That was an excellent quality jacket. Only it was too big. Got the second one off Amazon because they have good service and fast delivery.
By the time I got home, package had arrived, and wife or kid opened it and placed the jacket on the table. From few feet away, I though to myself what a cheap looking jacket. Upon inspection, realize it was the one I ordered. Thought maybe it was just my perception. Wore it to work next day. Big mistake. It was the annual meet the executive day for all the team leads. Took off the jacket, and all the fleece got stuck on my white shirt. It was like a scene from a comedy. Pretty sure it was not a good first impression. Picked out as much fleece as possible and went on. And nope, didn't get any promotion that day :( Note that the real fleece jacket from Columbia never shed even a single piece of ball of fuzz.
Came home and compared this with the real one I got from a month ago. Look at the pictures. Big difference in quality. Returned it that night. Amazon really need to crack down on these questionable supplier. They can loose a lot of credibility.

As far as the real jacket is concerned (not this one), it is truly an excellent product. If you live in California or any warmer climate, a heavy jacket is too much. All that is needed is a very light jacket to keep the chill out long enough for you to generate heat as you go hiking. Is great for work or indoor as well where some places they turn the A/C on high.
on November 5, 2012
This is a great jacket by Columbia. The fleece is very soft and comfortable. The zipper looks to be well made and should last a while. I ordered the Charcoal Heather and the color looks great. I am usually in between a Large and an XL in shirts and the XL was way to big in this jacket. If your on the fence about sizing, go with the smaller of the two. I have worn this jacket in 40 degree weather and it actually kept me pretty warm. I wasn't outside for long though. Overall a great purchase, buy with confidence.
33 comments| 84 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 2, 2015
This color looks nothing like the picture.
on February 11, 2015
Not durable. I just wear it for several days, the back of its collar was already broken off.