2,080 Reviews
 (1,281)

4.0 out of 5 stars Somewhat large, but overall great!
Overall, this is a wonderful jacket. You can't go wrong with Columbia. However, most of their jackets run slightly large. So, if you're on the edge between two sizes or if you like a tighter fit, it would be best to order down a size.
Published on October 14, 2012 by Will

Published 3 months ago by h,s

4.0 out of 5 stars Somewhat large, but overall great!, October 14, 2012
This review is from: Columbia Men's Steens Mountain Front-Zip Fleece Jacket (Apparel)

4.0 out of 5 stars Only two problems, November 21, 2012
I'm very pleased with this fleece. It fits well, it's light, it was a great price($35), and it keeps the chill out on a cold night. Also the inside and outside pockets are nice and deep.

My two issues are that the inside pockets have no zipper or buttons so I don't feel comfortable putting anything valuable in them for fear that they could fall out if I set it down(I've had that happen before in other jackets). And the color is not quite what it shows on the website. I got the Sanguine/Grill and thought it would be reddish and dark gray when it's really a dark orange and slightly dark gray. If I had paid more attention I'd have noticed the Sanguine preview being very orange(though on mine it isn't as bright) and gone with the Red Element/Charcoal one instead. The Sanguine/Grill colors do look good even though they are not quite what I was looking for and I won't be exchanging it.

There is a picture on my profile showing the colors.

*Update 12/16/13*

The stitching on the right-hand inside that held the drawstring came undone at some point. I didn't notice it until I tried to put something in the right pocket and it just fell straight to the floor. The stitching also held the bottom of both the inside and outside pockets closed. Should be a simple fix with a needle and thread. Worth noting in terms of quality and durability though.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great jacket, runs large, November 5, 2012
This is a great jacket by Columbia. The fleece is very soft and comfortable. The zipper looks to be well made and should last a while. I ordered the Charcoal Heather and the color looks great. I am usually in between a Large and an XL in shirts and the XL was way to big in this jacket. If your on the fence about sizing, go with the smaller of the two. I have worn this jacket in 40 degree weather and it actually kept me pretty warm. I wasn't outside for long though. Overall a great purchase, buy with confidence.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfectly Sized and Comfortable Jacket Provides Just The Right Amount of Warmth, December 3, 2014
James (Southern California, USA) - See all my reviews
I ordered this jacket a couple days before a group hike up Icehouse Canyon in the San Gabriel Mountains National Monument. I knew it would be cold and would likely be raining on the hike and didn't want to freeze. I already had a Columbia waterproof windbreaker but wanted more warmth than a windbreaker could provide and didn't want to get overheated.

When the jacket arrived, I was surprised by how well it fit. After reading all those reviews saying the jacket ran large, I wasn't sure what I'd get. But it fit perfectly and I took it on my hike up Icehouse Canyon. We eventually encountered a cold rain as expected but the Columbia Men's Steens Fleece Jacket kept me warm, even though my "waterproof" windbreaker was completely saturated. I was very satisfied by the way it fit underneath the windbreaker. I had been concerned that it would be too bulky, but it worked out just fine. See the attached photo. This is an excellent jacket that will obviously be in my backpack on future hikes during cool weather.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, looks great, October 31, 2012
Good buy. Looks great, feels warm, good lines and shape. I bought the two tone grey and black, medium, and I am 5 10 170 lbs athletic build. Fits perfect. Exactly what I wanted.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Fleece., December 4, 2013
When I look at reviews for clothing items, I like to see reviews that include the reviewers size, only because ordering clothes online can be difficult , and as we all know, manufacturers sizing belongs to their own, so a large on one product is more like a medium, etc etc... So I'll start out with that first... I'm 6 ft, with a 48 chest and 36-38 waist. My dress shirts have an arm length of about 34-35. The distance from the bottom of my neck/throat to my waist line is about 21-22 inches. And I weigh about 235 pounds. The XL sized fleece, which is the size I normally get in everything.... Was perfect for me. Plenty of chest room, arm room, and more than enough mid-section room, and I tried this one with just a thin under armour shirt on. I should add that the fleece does go below my specific waist line, approx 3-4 inches, which is a plus of course because I don't like jackets and fleeces that just end right at the waistline. After I wear some layers underneath, it can only be a better fit. I have to point out, I don't like tight jackets and this isn't one of them. So I hope this helps with sizing, at least with someone close to my size. As far as quality, no shortcuts taken. Stitching and sewing were done correctly, and the fleece is great for warmth.

2.0 out of 5 stars Seem to be Seconds -- Pockets are annoyingly uncomfortable in this model by Columbia, October 13, 2014
Columbia makes some nice jackets including ones just like this one except the for the material that the hand warmer pockets are made from. In this model it catches and snags on every microscopic irregularity in the surface of your hands. Your hands might feel smooth but in the pockets you'll feel like they are made of sand paper. Most Columbia products that use this kind of material use a brushed version that feels comfortable.

If you plan to keep your hands out of the pockets, then this jacket might suit you for lightweight warmth in mildly cool weather. If you think you might put your hands in the pockets, the look for the item in a store so you can test the comfort of the pockets.
Another customer noticed that the pocket material appeared to be the same as columbia normally uses but was sewn inside out, making the annoying side face the inside of the pockets. That would make these seconds/irregulars, in which case they should be presented as such.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect Fit, February 13, 2013
I read that these run a little large but I think they are true to size. I'm 5' 11" 155 pounds slim build and the large fits me perfectly. Great quality, looks great, and it is extremely comfortable. It arrived at my house 2 days after I ordered it. This was a great purchase and I'm very satisfied. I will be ordering another one in a different color.

1.0 out of 5 stars Bad seam stitching!!!, October 21, 2014
The jacket is great, it's warm, comfy and it fits well. The only issue that I have is the loose threads I find all around the jacket. There is a part on the sleeve that has an elastic band around the wrist, the stitching that held it tucked came undone. It only happened within a day of having the product. I thought that buying a product from Columbia meant good quality but I suppose not. Also there is a lot of loose fuzzy lint that comes off the jacket.

2.0 out of 5 stars Unsatisfactory for me, December 12, 2014
I think it is Good quality but is was otherwise.

Columbia Men's Steens Mountain Front-Zip Fleece Jacket