4.0 out of 5 stars Snug fit in arms and chest.
Well I took a chance on this jacket based on several reviews. Here is what I thought.
Published on November 1, 2012 by Kathryn G. Brooke

3.0 out of 5 stars Not for large-chested women!
Published 13 months ago by LJ

4.0 out of 5 stars Snug fit in arms and chest., November 1, 2012
It's very soft and attractive looking. I bought the black xl. I wore it in 40 degree high wind weather. Under it I wore a wool shirt and cotton t shirt. The wind did not get in except around the neck. I should of worn a scarf. I was slightly very slighty chilly. But I felt warm enough if I walked or moved occasionally.
On the bad side of this jacket. The sleeve length could of been more generous. Its slightly tight when moving arms across chest. The chest area is kind of tight also. The lenght of the jacket goes maybe 2 inches past my belt. I am 6' tall and 162. A smaller girl wouldn't be constricted. I wouldn't recommend below 45 degree, unless its used as a liner for a heavier thicker coat. This I believe should be it's true purpose.

I am happy with it. I just wish columbia gave more room in the arms. For walking' jogging, and sitting this is a good jacket. Other strenuous activity, no.

5.0 out of 5 stars Survived the "Polar Vortex", January 13, 2014
This jacket is seriously so lightweight and thin that you wouldn't think it was capable of being warm - but it is! I live in Chicago and this jacket was my go-to during our Polar Vortex storm this year - I braved -44 F windchills in this baby and was warm the whole time! I recommend this jacket to everyone I see - half of the time people don't believe that it is as warm as I say because of how seriously lightweight it is until they try it on! Way to go, Columbia - this jacket is seriously amazing.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not for large-chested women!, November 27, 2013
I took a chance on this because the reviews were so good. The color is very nice in person, and the coat seemed like it would have been nice and warm, but it was too tight in the chest. Squished things down and was NOT flattering. :( Disappointing, especially because the sleeves were plenty long and I have a very hard time finding coats with sleeves that are long enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best coat...ever!, January 10, 2014
I love this coat!!! You would be a fool NOT to buy this coat...it has 'Omni-Heat' and I Guarantee this coat WILL keep you warm!
I wore it in -6 degrees and I was as toasty as a slice of bread in a toaster!!!
This coat is AMAZING!!!
And the built in gloves are incredible!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Comfortable and light-weight jacket with bodyheat-reflective technology., October 24, 2014
I purchased this jacket in the color Quill and in the size 1X in September, in preparation for colder weather. We have had such an unseasonably warm fall that I wasn't truly able to gauge its warmth until this week, when temps finally dipped down into the 40s.

Color. Purple is my favorite color, and the color Quill is absolutely gorgeous. It is not a gaudy purple but a gorgeous plum.

Sizing: I am a pear-shaped, plus-size woman, which means that I carry most of my weight in my belly, hips and thighs. I am also a very short woman at 4'5". Being short and heavy, it is really difficult for me to find things that fit me BELOW the waist without being too big ABOVE the waist. This jacket ALMOST fits the bill. It fits wonderfully above the waist. It is not overlarge in the shoulders (which is a common issue for me) and fits nicely though the shoulders and chest (unlike many plus-size women, I am not very busty). However, it is VERY tight across my belly and bum. As a result, my bum doesn't get as much coverage as it would if the jacket were just a bit larger around the bottom edge. This jacket isn't INTENDED to cover the bum (as you can see from the picture on the product page), but on someone as short as I am, it would cover my bum if it could fall freely over my hips and belly. For comparison purposes, I generally wear clothes that are XL, 1X or an 18-20, depending on the garment. Also, I own an older Columbia Sportswear quilted jacket that is also a 1X and fits fine and covers my bum.

Warmth: When this jacket arrived, I could NOT believe that a quilted jacket could fit in that small of a package. When I removed it, I thought "Surely this thing can't be warm!" I had read on the product page about the new technology used in this jacket which is intended to reflect body heat, but it just seemed impossible. I have only this week been able to put it to the test while walking my dog on chilly, damp mornings. I think it is PERFECT for a transitional season jacket; i.e., going from winter into spring and fall into winter. I am not yet convinced that it will be warm enough (for me) when we get to the depth of winter. To go from the house to the car, sure (especially for those who hate wearing a heavy coat in the car). For jogging or power walking when you are generating your own heat, probably. But for sustained slow walking like in walking a dog, this remains to be seen, and I will post an update here when we get to that point of the winter. :)

Fabrics: The exterior fabric feels amazing. I have had other quilted winter jackets and this jacket does not feel like those. I just wanted to hug it when I took it out of the package! LOL It is buttery soft. The inside lining is silver/black metallic and shiny. This is the reflective technology part that I talked about earlier. The nice deep collar is faux-fur-lined and felt soft and warm against my face and ears this week while walking the dog in strong Nor'Easter-driven winds.

Construction: The jacket has a zip front and 2 external zip pockets, all with sturdy zipper pulls. It also features 1 smaller zipped pocket on the inside left side of the jacket. I almost sent back the jacket immediately upon receiving it because of some weirdness along the lower edge of the jacket. I have been sewing most of my life, so I tend to notice those things that non-sewers may not. At first, the bottom hem seemed defective, but after further inspection, it seems it was purposeful. I think it is to make the front of the jacket longer than the back, but I could be mistaken. It is NOT a straight around hem as nearly any other garment you'd buy would have. The back is straight and then as it transitions into the front panels, there are some weird folds. Because these folds are very consistent between the left and right front panels, I assumed that it must have been purposeful. It bothered me a LOT at first, but now it isn't bothering me as much.

4 1/4 stars - took off 1/2 star for the ill fit in the lower part of the jacket and 1/4 star for the weird folds/hem at the bottom of the jacket.

UPDATED 11/21/14: I have upgraded this review from 4 stars to 5. Because VERY cold and windy weather was coming, and because the purple 1X coat was so tight around my hips that I feared that it would not zip over the heavier, layered clothes that I have to wear to walk the dog in that weather, I decided to buy another of these jackets. Rather than return the 1X and buy a 2X as a replacement for it, I decided to save the 1X for the shoulder seasons (transitioning from fall to winter and winter to spring) and buy a second coat in the next size up for the winter.

I bought the second jacket in black and in size 2X. I could not BELIEVE the difference between a 1X and a 2X--a huge difference! Not only does the 2X easily zip up over even multiple layers of heavy clothing, it doesn't tug around my hips AT ALL, but falls freely straight from my waist and now covers my bum! I actually went back and checked the labels on both coats to be sure that they were the sizes I thought they were, as I rarely see that dramatic of a difference when going one size up on any article of clothing.

But the biggest reason I decided to upgrade my rating is that I have worn "this" jacket (either the purple one or the black one) nearly every day there has been any chilly weather since I first bought the purple one, which was I believe in September. These jackets are SOOOO light for a winter coat, but still warm! We are having insanely cold weather this week for my area. Temps have been in the 20s in the morning with 25 MPH wind gusts, so the wind chill has been in the teens--not happy dog-walking weather! I had myself convinced that this jacket was not going to stand up to that kind of weather (both cold-wise and wind-wise) because it felt so lightweight, but it has! I'm not going to say you can wear a T-shirt under it with wind chills in the teens and be comfortable, but if you wear a long-sleeved shirt or sweatshirt under it, you should be fine.

I get compliments on this jacket all the time, especially the purple one. I fall more in love with these jackets every day. You just can't beat how incredibly soft and light they are!

5.0 out of 5 stars THE BEST!, November 17, 2011
A friend of mine has this coat. The coat is lightweight yet warm and stylish so I had to get one for myself. The seller went above and beyond to get this coat to me as quickly as possible. I ordered it on 11/16 in the evening and received it arrived the very next afternoon. I really didn't think I would get till next week. Thank you so much! The coat is awesome! Shipping was quick.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect Jacket, December 29, 2011
I have been on the look out for a down style jacket for a while that would not make me look fifteen pounds heavier, and I have finally found it! This jacket is perfect. It is light weight but very warm. The lines of this jacket are flattering, and I love the soft collar on this jacket. I was unsure about what size to get but decided to go on the safe side with a medium. I am glad I did. It fits perfect on my 5'4" frame, I wear a size 4-6. The sleeves fit a little tight, so I am glad I got the medium. Overall, I am very happy with this jacket.

4.0 out of 5 stars Beware of sizing!, October 22, 2014
I bought this jacket for winter and I had a lot of trouble with the sizing. A lot of people said it was true to size. I bought a large and it was giant on me so I returned it for a medium. I'm 5'1 and weigh 122 pounds. Probably could have gotten a small but medium is fine too. It's very warm! The sizing runs big.

5.0 out of 5 stars Looks Great, March 12, 2013
I purchased this jacket for my wife and she absolutely loves it. It keeps her nice and warm during the winter months and I enjoy the way she looks while wearing it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Super Awesome Jacket!, November 14, 2012
I give this a 5 star rating all the way around. Great Jacket, great fit, super cozy, the color Mystery is really neat..kind of a slate blue, dark turqouise greenish grey.
I love the thumbholes in the sleeve lining!
I would recommend this to anyone!