Top critical review
52 people found this helpful
Warm boot, true to size, not as rugged as hoped
on December 17, 2012
This is a good product that has the warmth I come to expect with Columbia. However, it just isn't holding up after only a few weeks of wear as I had hoped.
First the pros:
1) The fit is true to size. I am a 6.5 and it is a perfect 6.5. This is great if you aren't wearing heavy socks. If you plan on layering, i would recommend going up a size.
2) It is warm and the soft-side is comfortable to wear, easy to move around in and the tread has reasonable grip on the snow (not perfect, but good).
3) They look great; I've gotten lots of complements on them.
1) Not as sturdy as I'd expect from the brand. The exterior soft side is quilted but NOT attached to the interior lining. So there is something in between them for the quilting layer that has disengaged and slid down to my ankle/heel on one boot. Very disappointing design.
2) They do not breathe at all. So while they are very warm, if you have heavy duty work to do outside, lots of walking or you generally run warm, I recommend socks that wick away moisture. After a hefty snow storm and cleaning the driveway several times, they just weren't dry on the inside, which of course, counteracts the ability to stay warm. This may not be a big deal if you are just walking to and from work or school, but is important if you do anything more athletic.
3) Not great on ice - but then, what boot is. They have good traction in the snow, but ice not at all. Not unsurprising, just something to be aware of when purchasing these boots.
They are good boots, not great boots. I'll wear them out this season but definitely get new ones for playing outside.