4.0 out of 5 stars basic rain jacket
let's start with the minimal cons:
material is lightweight water resistant nylon that is slightly noisy and wrinkles easily.
no storm flap over the zipper.

now the pros:
packs into its own pocket (though it wrinkles less if carefully folded and tucked into back vent).
hood folds up into collar, and I'm very fond of the height and look of the...
Published 19 months ago by a.m.d.

3.0 out of 5 stars strong color
What they describe as "fresh kiwi" is closer to day-glo yellow-green. Way too strong for my taste. Style is great, though.
Published 17 months ago by wrenn

4.0 out of 5 stars basic rain jacket, April 26, 2013
let's start with the minimal cons:
no storm flap over the zipper.

now the pros:
hood folds up into collar, and I'm very fond of the height and look of the collar when the hood is hidden.
zipper does have inside flap that appears to prevent water from permeating.
sleeves are long enough to cover most of my hands (I like extra long sleeves) but do have velcro adjusters so they can be pushed up.
fit is perfect at chest and hips, while not being TOO big in waist (I am an hourglass curved size 16 (waist considerably smaller than chest and hips) and ordered a size large jacket). I could probably fit a light fleece or sweater under it without it feeling tight at the chest or shoulders.

unfortunately during my entire trip in Seattle it has been sunny, so I haven't been able to test the water/air permeability. while it is a very basic rain jacket, it doesn't look cheap, and I feel that amazon's price of $30 was worth it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cute and effective, June 3, 2013
I bought this jacket for a boat trip on a cool spring day. It was perfect for keeping me dry and keeping the wind from making me chilly. The color is fabulous. I got a lot of compliments on it. It folds up VERY small, so you can throw it in a large purse without taking up much room. And it still looks great (not too wrinkled) after being in a purse all day. I highly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love love love, September 7, 2013
Love this rain jacket. It's the perfect size and weight! I got a medium and I'm 5'4" about 125lbs :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great warm weather rain jacket, June 26, 2013
This was a great product that did keep the rain away. I wore this in the rain forest and it kept me dry. I love that the hood can be rolled up into the collar for a different look. And I really like the color I ordered which was sea salt. I would definitely recommend this as a warm weather rain jacket.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great rain jacket!, July 3, 2013
This fit as expected. I carried it through Europe and used it often for rain protection. I stayed completely dry! It was difficult to figure out how to pack it up into itself and didn't pack into a very small package but it worked well enough. Definitely a great rain jacket!

3.0 out of 5 stars strong color, June 29, 2013
wrenn (Atlanta, GA) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Great jacket for our trip to Ireland, August 22, 2013
Perfect for our trip. Lightweight enough that it was not a hassle to lug it around when I did not have to wear it. The weather shifts were rapid, so I was putting the jacket on and taking it off to carry around often. The jacket braced me from the winds and rain and kept me at a comfortable temperature.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for travel and light to moderate rain, October 13, 2014
I purchased this and three other jackets in preparation for a trip I was going on where I knew there'd be some light to moderate rain. Since the weather was otherwise expected to be warm, I didn't want to pack a heavy rain jacket, so I was in search of a light, packable, water resistant shell...preferably under $50. Of the four jackets I'd purchased, I wound up keeping this one...and after having used it on my trip, I'm glad to say that I'm very happy with my choice.

Please note that this is a shell and doesn't have an inner lining for warmth. If you're just looking for something to just keep the rain off, this is a great option! It packs down easily into its own pocket, and kept me dry while standing in moderate rain for 3hrs...it didn't seep through the fabric AT ALL. The hood provided adequate coverage for my head and easily tucks away into the collar when it isn't needed, and has an elastic bungee cord for adjustment. The zipper pockets were great for stashing my cell phone and camera and kept those dry as well.

I purchased this jacket in the Groovy Pink color, which is a very bright, bold pink...great for when you'd like a pop of color when the weather outside is gloomy and gray. I'm typically a size small to medium (I'm 5'4" and 125 lb), and purchased this in a medium so I could layer under during cold weather for year-round wear...it's pretty roomy if you only have on a single layer, but will fit well over additional layers and I personally prefer the more relaxed fit. The cut of the jacket keeps it from looking *too* bulky.

For those interested, I'd also purchased (and returned) the following jackets:

1) Sierra Designs Microlight 2 - would've been my 2nd choice after the Columbia Switchback, due to its fit, packability (comes with its own pouch) and roomy hood. However, after testing a drop of water on the fabric, the water gradually seeped through after sitting for a few minutes. Probably only good for light rain and I wanted something more water resistant.

2) Columbia Auroras Wake II - the fabric of this one is similar to the Sierra Designs Microlight 2, so not as water resistant as I would've liked. It's also more of a rain jacket with an inner lining for some additional warmth, and if it had the ability to pack into itself, I couldn't figure it out! Sizing seemed to run smaller than the Switchback (probably due to the lining), but still fit me okay.

3) Charles River Pack-n-Go Windbreaker - this is actually a men's jacket, but I figured I'd give it a try...I kinda figured it wouldn't be my best bet, but I thought it might surprise me (nope). The overall size of the XS that I'd ordered was okay, but it was a looser, bulkier overall fit that I didn't like.

I was able to get this jacket for about 50% of the original price, and since it worked out well for my particular need, I couldn't be happier with my purchase. I'm considering keeping it in my car in anticipation of unexpected weather, and am even considering buying another one to keep in my purse!

2.0 out of 5 stars Not what I expected!, April 16, 2013
I ordered the Zing in a large - the size I wear in my several other Columbia jackets. It fit ok, a little snug - and it really is a plastic feeling jacket. But, the color was atrocious! The picture shows a kind of pastel salmon-y pink, but the jacket is a neon orange - like the ones people wear on construction sites. It's terrible, and I'm incredibly disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice Jacket!, April 12, 2013
This review is from: Columbia Women's Switchback II Jacket (Apparel)
I just got my jacket in the mail and tried it on, and I was extremely nervous about the fit. My first Columbia fleece jacket was a medium and too big, so I got a small and that fit perfectly. Then I got a durable waterproof jacket in a small, but if it was any smaller I wouldn't be able to move. So I weighed my jacket options and decided to go for a the Switchback II in a medium.
I'm glad I didn't get a small- the medium is pretty perfect. I am a size medium, 8/10, and I have a smaller waist in comparison to my hips, so sometimes I can get away with something in a small size but in this case I'm glad I got the medium because it fits at my ribs just right and still has room to wear a sweatshirt or thick sweater underneath. (which I would recommend doing because this jacket is very lightweight and isn't meant for warmth.)

So if you're someone with a smaller waist and bigger hips like me, I definitely recommend this jacket. I also like the tall stand-up collar, and if you don't like that, just take out the hidden hood!

Columbia Women's Switchback II Jacket