5.0 out of 5 stars The Coil's Masterwork
Published on January 3, 2003 by abdiel169

3.0 out of 5 stars A good introduction into the goth-metal scene
Lacuna Coil's 3rd and best-selling album, 2002's Comalies, refines the bands sound from the previous release Unleashed Memories, adds heavier riffs with more accessible choruses, deletes the use of guitar solos, and has spawned two successful radio singles.

Published on November 8, 2004 by D.W. Williams

5.0 out of 5 stars The Coil's Masterwork, January 3, 2003
"abdiel169" (Weehawken, NJ USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Comalies (Audio CD)
As of this writing, this cd has an Amazon sales rank of 2,703. I suppose that the reality is it will never get that much higher -- which is a crying shame because (assuming you are reading this review) you are contemplating buying one of 2002's best releases. If you like your music to be heavy and atmospheric, and don't mind electronic flourishes here and there, I can almost guaranty that this record will not disappoint you.
I've been a fan of the Coil for awhile, and have most of their recorded output. For those unfamiliar, they play a style of music that sort of melds metal, hard rock and goth with touches of electronica -- a style that I have heard referred to as "darkwave." They have two vocalists, one male and one female, who share vocal responsibilities. Their main strength has always been Christina Scabbia's voice, which is strong, clear, high but not too high, and emotive. She could mesmerize you even if she is singing a grocery list. Their main weakness, most noticeable in their last release, has been a tendency to write very similar-sounding songs. The band is more than competent, musically, but their songwriting was never terribly varied.
"Comalies," though is a huge step forward in the songwriting department. This is in part due to an increased electronica element, most noticeable on "Daylight Dancer" and "Tight Rope" -- which are also two of the record's highlights. The songs in general are more varied and interesting in their structure. Also, Andrea Ferro (the male vocalist) has much improved. He accounts for around 30% to 40% of the vocals on the album, and they are all clean -- though some border on a shouted/screamed approach.
Aside from the two aforementioned songs, "Swamped," "The Ghost Woman and the Hunter," "Angel's Punishment," and "Comalies" are all high points. All in all, this is a phenomenal record offering a varied and balanced selection of emotion-charged atmospheric music. Highly recommended.
Tracklist: 1) Swamped 2) Heaven's a Lie 3) Daylight Dancer 4) Humane 5) Self Deception 6) Aeon 7) Tight Rope 8) The Ghost Woman and the Hunter 9) Unspoken 10) Entwined 11) The Prophet Said 12) Angel's Punishment 13) Comalies. A limited edition version also contains a track, entitled "Lost Lulluby," that didn't "fit" on the last album.

5.0 out of 5 stars Your jaw will drop, December 11, 2002
The Deac (Bristow, VA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Comalies (Audio CD)
I bought this CD at the recommendation of a friend having never heard the band previously. And I have not regretted it since. This is a unique, inspiring and fresh approach to a relatively stale metal scene. The dual vocalists, in what is the one and only time I have EVER liked this situation, cause 2 dynamics that create such a hauntingly beautiful sound that it just boggles my mind. Never did I ever think that a band could sound like a mixture of say Tori Amos and Meshuggah, but Lacuna Coil accomplishes such a feat, and does it so well that it is a shame these guys aren't well known. Now, I tend to usually like more aggresive music, but this album just consumed me from the first listen. With its melodies combined with the awesome metal riffs, this sounds just amazing. HIGHEST RECOMMENDATION!

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome!, March 21, 2003
This review is from: Comalies (Audio CD)
I don't know if I'd call Lacuna Coil goth metal but they're certainly not your average rock band. "Comalies" is their latest and is my first by them so I can't really compare this to their other albums but, whether it sounds different or not, this is definitely worth buying! For whatever reason samples are not available but once I got this in the mail as a gift and popped the disk into my CD player I was hooked for a very long time and just couldn't listen to anything else! Cristina Scabbia has a sheer, transcendent voice with incredible versatility. Even when she's rocking out with the boys, her singing remains ethereal and gorgeous. At first I didn't care for the male vocals of Andrea because he reminded me of the frontman to Metallica but his voice is really growing on me now and he doesn't annoy me at all. In fact, I think his voice compliments Cristina perfectly as they harmonize with the heavy guitar riffs and great percussion.
I recently purchased "Aegis" by Theatre Of Tragedy (another fabulous group signed to Century Media Records) and I find their sound similar to Lacuna Coil (they are bound to get compared to) so if you like TOT but want a more aggressive female vocalist without the growling and screaming of the male singer than Lacuna Coil's "Comalies" is the best CD for melodic metal fans! This may be my only album by Lacuna Coil but I already consider myself a huge aficionado!

5.0 out of 5 stars What the hell is wrong with everybody?!, March 18, 2004
This review is from: Comalies (Audio CD)
This is one of those records that just leaves your jaw dropped in awe: awe that music could ever get this good again, and awe from realizing just how braindead the music world is to have overlooked them for so long.
Popular music has been so insubstantial and rehashed for the last several years that a recording of this caliber is bound to create quite a stir. There is not one single bad song here: they are catchy without taking that fateful plunge over the "commercial" cliff; unlike what's popular, they have something to say in words actually beyond the high school level; and they are sung by a voice that we puny humans do not deserve to be exposed to.
It doesn't hurt that Cristina Scabbia is the hottest piece of eye candy in music, but even if she wasn't her voice would still be the equivalent of an angelic choir.
This album was released almost a year before it was really noticed by anyone. That's just sad. I have had this cd now for over a month and I STILL listen to it everyday. In fact I can't remember the last time I have been so absorbed in a recording. Probably never. All I know is that I this is the first cd I have purchased in years because it stands head and shoulders above everything else out there as far as quality and substance.
It's scary to think that anything could be this good. How LC hasn't single-handedly run all of those cookie cutter corporate rock bands out of the business by now is mystifying. There is simply NO comparison. It appears that we have 2 choices these days: Lacuna Coil or fraudulent corporate music.

4.0 out of 5 stars Mesmerizing Vocals Highlight This Gothic Metal Album, July 6, 2004
This review is from: Comalies (Audio CD)
The Italian gothic metal band Lacuna Coil has not been particularly well-known in the United States since the release of their first album in 1998, but more and more people on this side of the Atlantic are getting the opportunity to listen to Cristina Scabbia's hauntingly beautiful vocals along with her co-vocalist, Andrea Ferro. Their most recent album, "Comalies", which was released in 2002 and is their fourth album, contains 13 tracks. All of the songs contain English lyrics, but the last track (the title track) contains some Italian lyrics. Some people have compared Cristina Scabbia's voice with Amy Lee, who is the lead vocalist of the band Evanescence. Both singers are very good, but Cristina Scabbia's voice is slightly deeper and more voluptuous than that of Amy Lee. My ratings for each of the 13 tracks on "Comalies" are listed below.
1. "Swamped" (5 stars). Soft start that suddenly breaks open with Cristina and Andrea's vocals very melodic guitar, bass and keyboards. The choruses feature Cristina's vocals, but the verses feature Andrea's vocals with some background vocals by Christina.
2. "Heaven's A Lie" (5 stars). The beginning crescendos with guitar, bass, keyboards & percussion before Christina begins her vocals. She is joined in the choruses by Andrea.
3. "Daylight Dancer" (4.5 stars). Metallic notes slightly similar to a celesta begin this interesting song and continue throughout.
4. "Humane" (4.5 stars). Electronic beginning with Christina's vocals begins this slower, very melodic song before being joined by percussion, guitar and bass.
5. "Self Deception" (4 stars). A harder song featuring Andrea's vocals, guitar, bass and percussion. Christina sings during the choruses.
6. "Aeon" (4.5 stars). A lengthy instrumental introduction starts this brief song (just under 2 minutes) before sounding briefly like a broken record to give way to a melodic ballad featuring Christina's voice. It's essentially an introduction to the next track.
7. "Tight Rope" (5 stars). Strong guitar, bass and percussion are featured along with vocals by both Christina and Andrea using a good melodic chord progression.
8. "The Ghost Woman and the Hunter" (4 stars). A mixture of forward and reverse-sounding chords are played throughout this ballad that primarily features Christina's vocals.
9. "Unspoken" (3.5 stars). Probably the least interesting song on the album, "Unspoken" primarily features Christina's vocals occasionally interlaced with Andrea.
10. "Entwined" (4 stars). A good combination of vocals from Christina and Andrea in a slower ballad.
11. "The Prophet Said" (4.5 stars). A more intense song with lots of guitar, bass and percussion and featuring Andrea's vocals with Christina in the choruses.
12. "Angel's Punishment" (4.5 stars). An eclectic combination of spoken vocals by Christina and choruses that are a mixture of Andrea's screaming vocals and Christina's melodic vocals.
13. "Comalies" (4.5 stars). A strong final track to this ablum using a good mixture of keyboards, guitar, bass and percussion fused with Christina's melodic vocals.
Overall, I rate the album "Comalies" by Lacuna Coil with 4 out of 5 stars. In addition to Cristina Scabbia and Andrea Ferro, the other band members include Cristiano Migliore (guitars), Marco Biazzi (guitars), Marco Coti Zelati (bass) and Cristiano Mozzati (drums). Not everyone who listens to the album will like it, but if you enjoy melodic metal, then chances are that you will.

5.0 out of 5 stars Stop Listening to Your Radio! Start Listening to Lacuna Coil, February 3, 2003
Gregory K. Miller "sfastatsprof" (Nacogdoches, Texas United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Comalies (Audio CD)
I didn't think Lacuna Coil could top "Unleashed Memories", and they might not have... but this is darn close. What a wonderful disc.
Lacuna Coil has always been just enough metal to keep me hooked... just enough progressive to keep me hooked... and always enough Cristina Scabbia's vocals to keep me hooked!
If you're looking for lightening fast riffs... this is not you're band. The music (for metal) can be slow as molasses at times. But the great thing about Lacuna is that everything is in context. It all sounds like it all belongs together - fanstasic arrangements.
Oddly enough (catch the pun?) I think the best tracks are the odd numbered ones 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 and the title track.
Track 1 "Swamped" starts out with rocking riff and the back and forth vocals of Cristina and male vocalist Andrea Ferro. I've always thought the combination of Ferro's rough vocals and Scabbia's angelic voice worked well together and this opening track showcases it. The line "its just a melody - it bleeds in me" describes the track well - a fantastic melody to this jewel.
Track 3 "Daylight Dancer" is another example of the fantastic vocal overlay of Cristina and Andrea. The precussion work during the chorus is fantastic and the song is relatively slow, but retains a "heavy" feel to it. Absolutely enchanting vocals here with some wicked work on the drums - no overplaying - this is something LC understands - its about the group - no one instrument is accented over another.
Track 5: Self Deception (my personal fave..) This songs rocks. I love the lyrics here. Crushing riffs during the verses and then again... Cristina's lush voice for the chorus - her emotion comes through loud and clear here. The bass work really shines on this track as well. A short song,with no filler - a nice 20 second guitar riff/solo at the 2:40 mark.
Track 7 "Tight Rope" - my favorite part of this is all the double bass kicking during the chorus. The formula here is the same as other places on the disc - male vocals for the verses and female for the chorus. Heavy, vibrating guitar throughout. During the bridge (2:40 to 3:10) there is the same guitar riff followed by a different precussion fill - absolute genius here!!
Track 9: "Unspoken" The "get up and dance" track on the CD. You just can't sit still while listening to this track. Andrea and Cristina sing together on the chorus here - with most of the volume going to Cristina. Crunchy guitar work during the verses and a beatuifully orchestrated chorus.
Track 11: "The Prophet Said" : Crunchy, heavy riffs all the way through. I think this is Cristina's best track. When she breaks into "This is my harmony.. I'm in your heart again" at 2:20 you really get a showcase of her voice -- and then the incredible, angelic overlays of her voice from 3:00 to 3:45 are stunning - all followed a heavy, crunchy riff leading to the trailer of the song.
I wouldn't want to forget the fantastic lyrical content of "Entwined" or the force in Andrea's voice in "Angel's Punishment" The growling "Can't you take me away from your lies?" works very well for the penultimate track - a case of agression used well.
Buy it now - get them all from Lacuna Coil: The EP, In a Reverie, HalfLife, Unleashed Memories and Comalies. Now if only this band will come back and tour the states!!

5.0 out of 5 stars LACUNA COIL, EUROPE'S VERSION OF EVANESCENCE , WITH ATTITUDE!!, January 22, 2006
Mr D. "Artist/Designer/Kibitzer" (Scottsdale, Az United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Comalies (Audio CD)
LACUNA COIL (Empty Spiral)

Remember that name! If I'm right,(and I think I am) you are going to be seeing it and hearing them a lot in the future.

I know, you're dubious. Lacuna Coil? What's a Lacuna Coil, never heard of them. Well if You've read any of my other reviews then you may remember that I mentioned Lacuna Coil in six of my reviews and categorically stated (actually predicted) that Lacuna Coil had an inside track to be the first European (they're Italian) Femme Fronted Goth Metal band to crash the American vinyl curtain in two of my reviews.

When I first predicted that Lacuna Coil would make it big here stateside, the odds makers in Vegas were giving Fifty to One odds that I was all wet and I wagered two root beers(I grew up in Vegas and I never bet money) on this sure shot/long shot. Now that Lacuna Coil is touring the East coast with the likes of Type 'O' Negative and Anthrax and their single "Heavens a Lie" is starting to get airtime, look out. The odds have dropped to Ten to One and I like my position.

Why do I think Lacuna Coil has such a good chance to make the charts here? For starters let me quote my 42 word prediction from the my semi-infamous Evanescence review from June 21st, "I think Italian prog/gothic metal band Lacuna Coil has the best chance of making a breakthrough since they will be touring the country this summer and fall and their hit single "Heaven's a Lie" is now getting air time on some radio stations." Next I'd like to quote my Lacuna Coil review on In a Reverie, "It seems to me that of all the wonderful goth-metal bands of Europe, Lacuna Coil has the best chance of making an impact in America. They have many songs that would not be out of place on an alternative, heavy metal or even top 40 radio format and they have a small but growing following in the states. This summer they are touring the states as the opening act for Danzig. It seems that Lacuna Coil is bigger than Danzig but I guess not in the states." Enough braggado, the reason I feel so confident in Lacuna Coil's American future is that they and all of their albums are just so damn good (I know a lot of epinionators would say fu*king here but damn works for me), that it's, well, INEVITABLE!!!

LACUNA COIL

Lacuna Coil has made a S/T debut EP and three full albums, chronologically, In a Reverie, Unleased Memories and Comalies and to be perfectly honest I can't say one is better than the other. They are the most consistent group I've ever come across.

Band Members

Cristia Scabbia (female vocals), Andrea Ferro (male vocals), Cristiano Migliore (guitars), Marco Coti Zelati (bass) and Cristiano Mozzati (drums), Marco Biazzi (guitars)

Lacuna Coil is somewhat of a non conformist for an Italian band. Most other Italian bands, like Rhapsody, concentrated on epic power metal, Lacuna Coil devoted themselves to progressive, melodic, gothic style. Lovely singer Cristina Scabbia and singer Andrea Ferro share the mic and do a very good job at it. They compliment each other perfectly and give each song a special emphasis. Cristina's voice, while not quite on a par with other European divas such as Floor Jensen, is quite pleasant to listen to. It is deeper than most and a quality that fits Lacuna Coil's music(which is somewhat progressive)perfectly. Needless to say Lacuna Coil probably would not be where they are today without Christina.

I should point out that Lacuna Coil's brand of metal is not speed or even fast. Their tempo is generally in the medium/slow to medium range, which gives it time for slow minded individuals, like me, to absorb, sort of like Creed and like Creed, the music and delivery is powerful.

"Heaven's a Lie", begins with a lush symphonic introduction, before Christina's sultry vocals along with a strong beat and Andrea's backing on the chorus's.

Other notable songs, in their order of appearance follows;

"Swamped", is an exotic medium slow song with a definite near eastern flavor, with passionate vocals by Andrea and soaring ethereal vocals by Christina.

"Daylight Dancer", is a medium tempo piece where Andrea takes the lead vocals and Christina in a ethereal mood does backup

"Humane", my vote for second best song, is a Quasi-ballad with Andrea and Christina swapping lead and backing vocals.

"Tightrope", a mid tempo song with a slight mid east feeling. For some reason this song reminds me of that fabulous Polish femme-goth metal group Artrosis but sans Andrea.

"The Ghost Woman and the Hunter", has my vote for most interesting title. Another very pretty quasi-ballad with all the trimmings. Of course, Christina could make London Bridge sound good. Seriously this is excellent.

"Unspoken", Medium pace with Christina leading to way and as with most of the songs a full lush sound and a catchy syncopated beat.

"The Prophet Said", Starting to sound a little like previous songs but still good.

"Angel's Punishment", some reviewers claim this song sounds like Garbage and it does a little. Christina does sound a little like Shirley Manson but also Medeah from Artrosis again.

"Comalies", The title track, a medium slow, quasi-ballad with a big intro but slows for the singers.

SUMMATION

If I may borrow and paraphrase the title to an old 60s song "To Know Them is to Love Them" I think that explains all. YES, BUT WOULD I LOVE THEM? Fair question and I'll answer that by saying that if you like or love any of the following bands, yes, you would love them; Evanescence, Garbage, Roxette, Pat Benetar, Joan Jett, Concrete Blonde, even Stevie Nicks.

If my "Prediction" comes through, here is my next prediction. Watch out for Within Temptation, they are already on their way. I did a review on Within Temptation's, Mother Earth (link below) back in June. They are similar to Lacuna Coil but more strident, more symphonic and generally more up tempo.

3.0 out of 5 stars A good introduction into the goth-metal scene, November 8, 2004
This review is from: Comalies (Audio CD)

This is what happens when bands get popular, I'm sorry to say. The music changes for the worse. As I said, the absence of guitar solos is a big no-no, and causes some of the songs to sound bland. Cristina's vocals are still there, but do not capture the same effect as the previous album, which was significantly better in terms of instrumentalism and songwriting as well. The bass is easily obscured, and the drumming is slow and boring. Any of the progressive elements of the last two records have been thrown out, and the music has become rather predictable. There you have it, the negative.

Now on to the positive. The album does provide a change from the previous material. Not necessarily a good change, as I (and probably others who enjoyed Unleashed Memories and In A Reverie) may have grown accustomed to their old signature sound, but a change nonetheless. I must also mention the improvement of male vocalist Andrea Ferro, who, yes, is still annoying, but still sounds a hell of a lot better. Most importantly however, I find the album's accessability suitable to those who are unfamiliar with the gothic metal scene, but want to learn the basics before they progress into bigger and better things.

Now, am I saying Comalies is bad? No. Three stars is not bad in my book (actually my original review of this album was a full 5-star). Hell, this band rocked the stage at Ozzfest (they are much better live than on disc). All I am implying is that there are other lesser-known bands that have been around longer and have done better musically. I personally prefer the intricacy and beauty of After Forever and Within Temptation, the orchestral accompaniment and progression of Lacrimosa, and the experimentation of the Gathering and Nightwish. This is an opinion from someone who has familiarized himself with a numerous amount of gothic metal bands (it's my favorite genre if you didn't know) and whose tastes have evolved dramatically over the years.

So, as I said, this is a good start into the gothic metal genre. If you were to get one Lacuna Coil album though, I would highly recommend Unleashed Memories over this, as it reaches emotions not capable on Comalies (this is no exaggeration).

However, no CD has moved me quite like Within Temptation's (dare I say) perfect Mother Earth, and probably never will.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lacuna Coil is breathtaking. This CD rocks!, November 1, 2002
Chad Brendan Fogelberg (Longmont, CO United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Comalies (Audio CD)
Lacuna Coil is one of those rare bands that is extremely heavy, yet even your parents can enjoy listening to it. It is quite possibly the best gothic metal band ever, surpassing the likes of Paradise Lost, Theater of Tragedy and the Gathering. This CD will also appeal to anyone who likes metal, even those who like death metal, thrash and more progessive metal. It will really be a hit among those who enjoy metal bands like Nightwish and Tristania and among die-hard gothic rock fans. Lacuna Coil is from Italy, and has one of the best female vocalists (and hottest), of any band. I hope they are around for a long time. I love every song on this album. Buy it now! You will enjoy listening to it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Captivating, unique sound, August 30, 2004
Sheila Doki (Sherman, TX USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Comalies (Audio CD)
I discovered Lacuna Coil when they toured with my two favorite bands, P.O.D. and Blindside in May 2004. After seeing their live performance, I thought they were good, but didn't really think much about them afterwards.

About a month later, I was looking for a little CD collection update...so I bought Comalies. I'll admit that the first few listens, I was kind of thinking "Okay...Swamped is good, but this CD for the most part is bland."

However, luckily Comalies is one of those CDs that grow on you with each listen. Now I enjoy almost every song from this amazing album. Stand-out tracks are "Swamped", "Self Deception", "Unspoken", "Entwined", and MOST OF ALL..."The Ghost Woman And The Hunter." That haunting ballad is the most beautiful showcase of Cristina Scabbia's vocals, and everytime I listen to it, I like it more.

The thing that disgusts me is that it's impossible to read a review of Evanescence without the mention of Lacuna Coil, and it's impossible to read a review of Lacuna Coil without the mention of Evanescence. It's like a Christina/Britney thing: they're compared, but they have NOTHING in common. The only things that I can think of that Amy Lee and Cristina Scabbia have in common are: they're both female, and they're both talented. End of story. Otherwise, their vocal styles, lyrics, and band's music are completely different.

Many people are failing to remember that there ARE other members of Lacuna Coil other than Cristina. Andrea ("Andy") Ferro, the co-lead male vocalist is pretty awesome. At first listen, one might be turned off from LC's music because his voice is one of those that grows on you with time (kind of like this album). However, in certain songs (especially "Entwined"), their vocals complement one another very beautifully.

I highly recommend this CD to anyone who's willing to try out new things. Lacuna Coil is original, they're talented, and might I add they put on quite a wonderful live show. Put all pre-conception "comparisons" to Evanescence aside, and see for yourself.

Comalies
Comalies by Lacuna Coil (Audio CD - 2002)
Rate and Discover Movies