5.0 out of 5 stars Anything but Comatose
Published on October 3, 2006 by J. R. Morales

3.0 out of 5 stars Wear did the alien youth go?
I have been a pan head for a long time, and while I think they still put on a really excellent show I think this album was not on par with the others. It seems with each new album they change their style and grow as a band, but this album I did not see growth in their music writing, many of the songs sound similar to one another and they aren't as lyrically amazing as...
Published on January 23, 2007 by J. D. Wilder

5.0 out of 5 stars Anything but Comatose, October 3, 2006
This review is from: Comatose (Audio CD)
Ever since their self-titled debut album, Skillet has been known for great music and mind-blinding lyrics. Things like "I'm going to drown you in maddening forgiveness..." (from "Hey, You, I love your Soul" of the album with the same name) and "Soak my heart in Gasoline/Light a match and consume me..." (from "Gasoline", self-titled debut) truly made this critic anxious to see what their seventh full-length production would bring -- both lyrically and musically. After six albums, one would think that there's not much life left.

And one would be wrong.

"Comatose" opens up with their first single: "Rebirthing," a beautiful mix of power and emotion, which sets the pace for the rest of the album. Filled with piano, strings and the angelic voice of Korey Cooper, the emotion is not lacking throughout the length of the album. However, it is filled with enough guitar riffs and catchy beats that maintain the "Skillet" hard-rock flavor we've all come to know and love. The orchestral elements prove the musical genius that Skillet was capable of. Versatile, beautiful and powerful -- Skillet has, once again, raised the bar for themselves and their contemporaries.

Skillet's sound in "Comatose" is much more complete and mature. Now, it's about much more than the crunchy music. It's a complete experience.

If you like exceptionally-made hard-rock music with elements of piano and stings, or if you're a "Pan-Head" (like me!) this is a must buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Soundtrack to My Life, July 25, 2008
BooksieDaisy (The Lone Star State) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Comatose (Audio CD)
There are not enough words available to contain the genius that is Skillet. I truly think that when the dust settles from the rock movement, eventually Skillet will be one of the bands remembered for their lyricism and musical ingenuity. Many bands have attempted to put a hard spin on classical refrains, but Skillet has largely succeeded, and it will give them longevity beyond many other more well-known bands.

Skillet also manages to be relevant in a scarily intimate way--I cried the first time I heard "The Last Night," and I don't cry to music. They've tapped into a generational Zeitgeist; you can see them laid open in their music and follow them through it. They acknowledge the messy, sticky, depressing ugliness of humanity, and then offer a way out. They are brave enough to confront inner demons that we all face, and then brave enough to stand up and say, "I know it doesn't have to be this way." Their devastating and honest spirituality is an affirmation of Faith and a total obliteration of excuses. I pray for this band, because I don't want to ever see them lose that total transparency that comes from a genuine relationship with Christ.

While each of their albums has some real gems, this one is nothing but one big hit. Once again, in an apropos theme, it's entitled "Comatose," with a trash heap of TVs in a drab field on the cover. Just staring at the artwork gives one chills, and completely sets the stage for the first song. I know that artwork is supposed to complement the album, but for it to be a part of the experience is new to me.

The journey opens with the adrenaline rush that is "Rebirthing." The tune is catchy--maybe I shouldn't do this, but I've played this album enough that my two-year-old can sing along with the chorus. However, the complexity of the song, both musically and lyrically, keeps it from becoming a pop-tune casualty. It's accessible hard rock that makes you want to embrace your inner head-banger instead of covering your ears!

Next up is "The Last Night," a gorgeous utilization of vocals. It's a love song; it's a tragic acknowledgement of depression; it's an allegorical love song; it's a passionate refrain. It should be blasted along with "Rebirthing," yet it could be a lullaby. However you want to categorize it, "The Last Night" is an experience rather than a song.

In a mellowing turn, "Yours to Hold" continues the double-meaning--it could be a simple love song, but it could also be an emotional cry from a Savior. This continued double emphasis raises the idea of love to a level of dignity that much of mainstream music doesn't understand, but it also makes Divine love accessible. Once again, part of the genius of Skillet: they're just not afraid to go there.

"Better than Drugs" necessarily amps it back up; subject matter like this can't be handled with a keyboard alone. I have to admit it's not a perspective on God that I would have naturally thought of, but it does make sense. How many of us who have been Christian for longer than three months can honestly say that God *hasn't* been our alternative to any alluring self-destruction?--and then we find that He's so much better, because He's the original. I love this raw honesty.

After that prep, we get to the title track, a rush all to itself. The lyrics are a delicious turn in wordplay: "Comatose/I'll never wake up without an overdose of you." The music is again appropriate to the subject matter, and the listener is swept away.

At this point, there's a shift in the album. The first five songs are musically and thematically similar, but beginning with "The Older I Get," the album goes deeper, as odd as that might seem. "The Older I Get" is a reflection on broken relationships. As much as we would all like it to be different, it's a fact of life that some relationships don't work out. The lilting nature of this song gives it a closing, healing quality--we acknowledge it, learn from it and move on.

The theme of "The Older I Get" finds its partner in "Those Nights," also a song with a musical abandonment that makes the bittersweet nature of the song palatable. "Falling Inside the Black" starts slow and then turns it up, a musical rendition of desperation. Again, there are levels of meaning in this song; is it betrayal? Or is it that familiar desert of faith where the Christian has nothing to hang onto but the promises of God, when she can't see or hear Him? Or is it that overwhelming depression that swallows us whole when it hits, and all we can do is muster the strength to, as Paul said, Stand? Maybe it's all three. But it's absolutely wonderful to have lyrics that go deep enough to withstand analysis. I am, after all, a literature person....

"Say Goodbye" is another bittersweet track, slightly more straightforward than other songs on the album, but endearing in its stubbornness: "Don't say anything tonight/If you're gonna say goodbye." The music is more lyrical than other songs on the album, closer in theme to "The Older I Get."

The album ends on a high note: "Whispers in the Dark" is the companion to "Falling Inside the Black," the answer we all want to hear. I would almost wish they would have put the two tracks together, but I suppose there's something to be said for not being too obvious. "No, you'll never be alone/When darkness comes you know I'm never far" is the direct answer to "Don't leave me here like this/Can't hear me scream from the abyss." Life has these pits of despair, but God never leaves us alone in them--and this is the companion promise that's just edgy enough to be believable.

The album is capped with a spiritual/social conscience song, that reminds us, through all of our struggles, that life isn't about us alone. We're here for a greater good: "We want a reason to live." "Looking for Angels" reminds us that the suffering are everywhere, and those of us who have been fortunate enough to receive Light in our lives need to be there to pass it on and be that Light to others. Our overcoming isn't much use if we can't help dig others out of their pits of Hell. "We represent a generation/That wants to turn back the nation/To let love be our light and salvation." Amen.

In short, this album is a tour de force not to be passed up. It's a masterpiece that will endure, because it's not just an album. It's a story of redeemed humanity that will resonate for years to come.

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding hard rock, October 10, 2006
Amazon Customer "kahohito" (Pennsylvania, United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Comatose (Audio CD)
I've been a Skillet fan for years, and they just keep impressing me more with each album. "Comatose" is a great blend of driving, hard rock with quick (though constant) infusions of synth rhythms.

What's most amazing about this album, however, is the lyrical intimacy the band achieves in the midst of such hard rock. Songs like "The Last Night" and "Yours to Hold" contain some beautiful lyrics of love, but they're couched in the midst of the screaming guitars and driving rhythms.

"Rebirthing" and "Whispers in the Dark" show off the band's hard rock edge, while "Say Goodbye" and "Looking for Angels" are excellent ballads. Overall, another winner from this incredible band.

5.0 out of 5 stars Out of the Skillet and into the Frying Pan!, February 2, 2007
This review is from: Comatose (Audio CD)
This CD is fantastic. I heard Rebirthing on the Gospel Channel and owned the CD within a week. Naturally, I listened to Rebirthing until I couldn't take it anymore (which was quite a while). Once I did, I realized, every track on this CD is worthy of the same airtime as Rebirthing. I don't say that lightly. I'm very stingy with my cash on CD's having grown up when they cost over $20 and all you got were 3 great songs. Now I usually buy the download song for .88 cents rather than splurge on the entire CD. Rebirthing made me buy the entire CD and I'm glad I did. This music rocks.

5.0 out of 5 stars AWESOME, March 17, 2008
This review is from: Comatose (Audio CD)
I've been a Skillet fan for years now, and this is most definitely their best CD to date! VERY good. I love the use of strings in a few of their songs, like "Rebirthing" - what a song to open with! :-)

5.0 out of 5 stars Their best yet!!!, January 22, 2008
Vicki Williamson (Monroe, Ga United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Comatose (Audio CD)
Even though I do enjoy most of the music Skillet puts out, I wouldn't exactly call myself a 'panhead'. However, with the release of "Comatose" I am one step closer to becoming a 'pan-head'. This album is a true work of art. I admire the way they sing with so much passion. Their lyrics are thought-provoking and strike right at the listener's heart. The music (guitar riffs included) keep you drawn in.

Some of my favorite songs from the album are: Rebirthing, Comatose, The Last Night, Yours to Hold, The Older I Get, Those Nights, Say Goodbye and Whispers in the Dark.

I highly recommend this album if you want to listen to some down to earth Christian rock!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally, a Christian album worthy of secular attention!, November 7, 2006
ORIGINALLY POSTED AT: [...]

I've followed Skillet's music ever since they appeared on the Christian music scene, but I was never a huge fan until their latest album, Comatose, came out last month. This is one album that will definitely earn the status of "repeat-all" mode in my car. My original attraction was the combination of an orchestra and driving guitars with solid rhythm on almost every song, kinda reminding me of something like "Carol of the Bells" by "Trans Siberian Orchestra" or a heavy version of the Halo soundtrack. But after being hooked on the melodic rock orchestra, the lyrics started to sink in:

Oh how I adore you
Oh how I thirst for you
Oh how I need you
- Comatose, by Skillet

Despite the lies that you're making
Your love is mine for the taking
My love is just waiting
To turn your tears to roses
I will be the one that's gonna hold you
I will be the one that you run to
My love is a burning, consuming fire
- Whispers in the Dark, by Skillet

May I especially recommend Rebirthing, The Last Night, Yours To Hold, Falling Inside The Black, and Whispers In The Dark.

Fans of Nickelback and Hinder will appreciate the refined talent Skillet puts forth in this album. Comatose is probably one Christian album that is actually worthy of mainstream attention. I'd love to see it earn the respect of secular critics.

5.0 out of 5 stars Clearly their best., November 13, 2007
Kevin Davis (Charlotte, NC United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Comatose (Audio CD)
Most bands seem to peak with their first, second, maybe third album. Well, it took Skillet a decade (and I don't know how many albums later) to produce a truly great album. Here, finally, is the mature, creative, talented Skillet that's been waiting to bloom, separating them from the mass of mediocre Christian grunge-metal bands out there. Yes, this album is a little more polished and has greater pop-sensibility than their previous work, but it's entirely for the good. From beginning to end, this album does not disappoint. They truly should get mainstream play with this album. It's hard to pick favorite tracks, but I would point you to "The Older I Get" and "Those Nights," plus, of course, the fantastic first single, "Rebirthing."

5.0 out of 5 stars The best release yet from an amazing band, January 17, 2008
This review is from: Comatose (Audio CD)
Although I am a huge fan of CCM, I can see sometimes why people think it's cheesy. The lyrics have cliches, the melodies all sound the same, etc. Well, Skillet is not only a band that proves that they can sing about God and still rock, but also puts out better material than many of their secular counterparts. Collide, their last album, was a raw, emotionally-charged masterpiece, and Comatose is just that but with even more musical variety. The lyrics, as always, are absolutely amazing. The first song, Rebirthing, is a desperate heart's cry out for the Lord, and the other songs deal with themes such as spiritual restoration and lonliness as well. It's not as hard rock as Collide, Comatose is a bit more industrial as they have been in the past, but I wouldn't say it's a bad thing, just a band trying a new sound. And it works for them. Even if you aren't a believer, don't shy away from buying this album. You won't regret it.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best album I've ever bought, August 17, 2008
This review is from: Comatose Deluxe Edition (Audio CD)
Back in September of last year, almost a year from the day I'm writing this, I walked into an FYI in the mall and picked up a copy of Skillets newest album, Comatose, for one song which was "The Last Night." On the way home I popped it into the CD player. It hasn't come out since.

Comatose is far and away the best album I own. Even after a year it still manages to find its way into my CD player on a regular basis. The depth of the sound, the emotion of the lyrics, everything comes together perfectly to form one truly amazing sound. This four person band (John Cooper with Bass and lead vocals, his wife Korey Cooper of keys and supporting guitar, Ben Kasica on lead guitar, and Lori Peters on drums) packs more sound into their music then many five man bands.

The impacts of the songs are far greater if one understands the meaning behind them. For instance, "The Last Night", which talks about a suicidal girl looking to end her life, is written about a friend of the lead singer who he managed to talk her out of jumping off a building and killing herself. "The Older I Get" is about a time in John Cooper's life when his mother died and his father remarried causing the two of them to fight and drift apart.

Added to this deluxe edition is a new song, "Live Free or Let Me Die" and five acoustic tracks for "Rebirthing," "Yours to Hold," "The Older I Get," "Whispers in the Dark," and "Say Goodbye." Although "Yours to Hold," " The Older I Get," and "Say Goodbye" aren't that different their original versions "Rebirthing" and "Whispers in the Dark" are extremely different, both putting forward a slightly darker sound. The new song "Live Free or Let Me Die" is almost worth the repurchase in and of itself. The way the lyrics are constructed is very similar to "Rebirthing" while the music has a lot in common with "Better then Drugs." The bonus DVD is a bit of a letdown though. The music videos for "Rebirthing" and "Whispers in the Dark" can both be found on Skillets web sight, making "Looking for Angels" the only new piece of work in it. Also the so called "behind the scenes" video is just a bunch of random clips of the band in the studio played to "The Older I Get." You can see it on YouTube if you really want.

Is this worth a buy from someone who's never listened to Skillet before? Yes, a million times yes, yes, yes, yes YES! Go buy this RIGHT NOW; I promise you'll love it. Is it worth a purchase from a seasoned fan like myself? Personally, I'd say yes, but that's really up to the person buying. The new song is very good, but if acoustic tracks aren't your cup of tea there aren't many other goodies for you to sink your teeth into. But hey, for $6.00, you might as well go for it.

Listen to the sample tracks from the original release (Comatose) so see if you like them first though. If you like the sound, also try second best CD Collide.

Replay Value; EXTREMELY HIGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comatose
Comatose by Skillet (Audio CD - 2006)
Rate and Discover Movies