5.0 out of 5 stars Simple Charming Folk From Start to Finish, March 6, 2012
Ari Melman (Philadelphia, PA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Come Back As Rain (Audio CD)
Take us back to the magical folk romanticism where a couple could run barefoot over the daffodil-frosted hills. The three part harmonies crawl down your back, warming your insides with folk frisson. For anyone who has seen the band live, you know Good Old War has emerged since 2008 as one of the most energetic bands from Philadelphia. Dan shakes with the fervor of a Southern Baptist, Keith gets on his knees to channel his keyboard, and Tim puts on his seducing gaze and half smile as he twirls his brush drumsticks. Their charm carries well in this third album, enchanting from start to finish.

Come Back As Rain follows the format of classic folk albums of the 60's, crisscrossing between slow, romantic songs and bouncy, sing-a-longs. The lyrics are always simple, though often gracefully chosen. Amazing Eyes captures the beauty of a woman's eyes, my favorite part about them and one too often neglected in songs. "You have amazing eyes, the right one suspicious and the left one wants my love...You're a little bit broken, I'm a little bit broken, but when we put ourselves together, my oh my." With Dan fingerpicking Jim Croce style guitar, Tim on accordion and three part slow vocal harmonies, this song packs an emotional wallop.

Calling Me Names tickles the ukulele with pop jangling that fits right in along Jason Mraz and Jake Shimabukuro. Loud Love announces the album's end with the catchy, oft-repeating chorus "If you love me, don't you let me go. If you love me, don't go." The entire song is an incredibly simple descending four chords, which makes it sound timeless, folksy and cliché. It's the kind of song that perfectly encapsulates how Good Old War sees their fans - a bunch of good friends huddled up and singing around the bonfire.

For those looking for a simple warm hearted, feel good, folk album, Good Old War will keep you humming in delight.

P.S. In It Hurts Every Time, the first line "I look away and you're gone" reminds me musically of an early Beatles song, but I can't put my finger on it. Can anyone figure it out?

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it!, March 12, 2012
J. Hill (Atlanta, GA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Come Back As Rain (Audio CD)
In the days of shuffled MP3s, I find myself listening less and less to full albums. I pick the 2 or 3 songs I like most from each artist and put it on rotation. But this is one I listen to as an album. Every song is worth listening to repeatedly. And there are a few bonus tracks at iTunes you should download, too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply Magnificent, June 12, 2012
This review is from: Come Back As Rain (MP3 Music)
Every song I have heard from Good Old War has been fantastic art. Their albums somehow continue to improve unlike some young bands who regress after their first album or two. This is a group I plan to follow for a long time. If you have not seen their show, get there now! I have never seen so much energy and creativity from 3 people in my life! So much fun!

5.0 out of 5 stars good product, January 7, 2014
This review is from: Come Back As Rain (Vinyl)
I bought this as a gift for my brother. He loved it and said its a great album. Nice to have in vinyl.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Ole War - :o), August 15, 2013
Beautiful! Check them out! My review could never convey the experience of this artist or any other artist's work and beauty. Find out for yourself! Very good stuff!

5.0 out of 5 stars Love these guys, July 9, 2013
Jeremy (Los Angeles,CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Come Back As Rain (Vinyl)
Very happy with this buy. Love the band love the record. Worked fine on my turntable no problems. Hope one day i get it signed :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome!!, April 8, 2013
This review is from: Come Back As Rain (Audio CD)
This CD is great! I am glad that this band has continually been creating great music! If you like Good Old War you'll like this album!

5.0 out of 5 stars We Need More Songwriting Like This..., February 5, 2013
This review is from: Come Back As Rain (MP3 Music)
Fantastic album. It's smart, fun, original, and so much more. This is one of those few bands that really understands how to write a good, fun, poppy song that is still original and smart. I remember when I first found this album I thought I had just won the Lottery. It's that unique! I also got to see them live when they opened for NEEDTOBREATHE, and they were fantastic. (They even danced during the songs, and badly, so it was funny.) But anyway, it's a great buy, full of fun, memorable tunes that should be listened to by anyone who still likes good music.

5.0 out of 5 stars As expected...love!, December 11, 2012
This review is from: Come Back As Rain (MP3 Music)
I saw them perform a few of their songs when they opened for a Dispatch concert. They are all about harmonies, a guitar and keyboard. I'm not your expert CD reviewer but I very much enjoy listening to these guys...simple, beautiful and interesting lyrics. My favorite is "Amazing Eyes" (the right one is supicious and the left one wants my love). If nothing else, download this song!

5.0 out of 5 stars GOW! POW!, August 13, 2012
This review is from: Come Back As Rain (Audio CD)
I love this CD! Good Old War just keeps getting better and better! I can liste to this CD over and Over!

Come Back As Rain
Come Back As Rain by Good Old War (Audio CD - 2012)