Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Brett Dennen Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Father's Day Gifts Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Outdoor Recreation Learn more

on December 10, 2011
I have been a Garlock fan for years and look forward to each new release; this is one of the few that was not worth the wait. Granted, no one writes "crazy" like Garlock but this time every other person in town is unstable. Two alcholholics, a drug addict, an agoraphobic with PTSS and another with sibling resentment that as an obsessive stalker. And all of them cross Christina Tucker's path. Most of them within 2 days of her arrival in town.

Christina, the heroine is unlikable and puts herself in unbelievable situations. Tyler, the hero is also unlikable. No one likes a whiner, and poor Tyler whines about his childhood, his mother, his brother and the actions of the woman he is supposed to love.

Usually Dorothy's characters are well drawn out as the layers of the story unfold. In this book only the "crazies" stories are developed but I never got a sense of knowing the main characters. And what I did see I couldn't like.

There were too many subplots that all resulted in Christina being the victim. I kept expecting the storyline to come back around to the Post Traumatic Shock syndrome that she is helping TWO related characters deal with. Wouldn't it have been logical that after two attacks on herself that there should have been some mention of her at least having a personal understanding of the condition?

Nope, this time my favorite writer let me down. This is the first one of her books that I had to make myself finish.
on May 20, 2012
This was my first experience with Garlock and although I did find some enjoyment through this novel, it fell short for me somewhere along the way. We follow Christina as she starts a new life in a small Wisconsin town.

Since Christina grew up in a rural Minnesota town, life in Longstock, Wisconsin is not too much of a shock to her. She sees many similarities that range from the area business, the townspeople, and even the people that have been affected by the war. The last thing that Christina expects is to fall in love while she is helping a war veteran conquer his fears.

Holden Tucker is the man that served in the war who Christina helps to face his demons. When Christina is not spending time with Holden she usually can be found with his brother Tyler. While she develops a protective affection towards Holden, a deeper emotion is sparked with Tyler. This, of course, will create an unsavory love triangle.

Many events are brought to Christina's attention within this novel. An obsessed woman sets Christina as a target, while a town drunk is finally ready to fulfill his act of revenge. One of the most endearing storylines involved the doctor that had a morphine addiction. Christina helped him deal with his addiction as she helped Holden confront his fears.

This book caught my eye because I liked the cover and noticed it was a post WWII novel. I enjoy books from this time period, but this one didn't hit home for me. I did enjoy most of the story, but I have to warn you that there is a sex scene towards the end that made me feel that I was listening to an erotic novel. I did not enjoy that part at all. While I didn't find much enjoyment from this book, I do think that those of you that enjoy romance novels would want to give this one a try.
on December 11, 2011
I have been reading Dorothy Garlock books for years, and I can always count on them to not only transport me to whatever setting she is writing about be she also allows me to connect with the characters she is portraying. In "Come A Little Closer" we get the character of Christina Tucker and the year is 1946. WW11 has just come to an end and instead of heading back to her hometown of Carlson MN she decides to accept a nursing position in the small town of Longstock, Wisconsin where she will be working with Dr. Barlow the town doctor. When she arrives she is invited to supper with the doctor's sister and her two sons Holden and Tyler. Holden is dealing with issues from the war and has locked himself in his room, not even taking meals with his family. When Christina volunteers to take his supper to him, they connect and becomes determined to help him. Meanwhile Tyler comes off as a bad boy but he has his own issues as well, and while Christina tries to help Holden she can't help but be drawn to Tyler, but someone in town is determined to do whatever it takes to keep her from Tyler.

The historical aspect of this story is what drew me in, but the characters and plot really kept me reading. While there is a romance, the author gives the reader so much more. Holden was suffering from PTSD, something that many soldiers deal with. It was nice to see him slowly learn how to handle his problems and realize that he could have a future. I enjoyed how the romance between Christina and Tyler progressed. I thought the secondary story of Luther and the blame he placed on the doctor for his brother Donnie's death added to the story. There were several secondary characters to round out this story and one of my favorites had to be the feisty Eunice Hester,and the impact she had on the doctor.
If your a fan of Dorothy Garlock your going to love this story, and if your not then what are you waiting for, pick up a copy of "Come A Little Closer" and see why she is one of today's best selling authors!
rating 5/5
*A complimentary copy of this book was provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review*
on December 20, 2011
I bought this book because of the writer, Dorothy Garlock. Too late I realized my mistake. The book just takes for granted you have read any prior history and any stories containing the same people. I found myself skimming pages. The verbage is not realistic, even for the post war era....way to sweet and boring. The female lead saves the town with dealing with post war stress, drug addics and drunks. Get real. The story lacks back-bone until the last 2 chapters. I'm sorry I spent the money and the time to read this book.
on December 12, 2011
Dorothy Garlock transports you to the time and place
of the story she is telling.
It is an easy read, but the kind you have
trouble putting down and then
sadly you are to the end and have to wait
for Ms. Garlock's next book.
on March 11, 2012
I have read all of Dorothy Garlock's books and have never been disappointed. This one was no different. I immediantly fell in love with the characters. If you are looking for a book with romance, a little mystery and a glimpse into a time gone by. This is the book for you.
on November 22, 2011
In 1946 Twentyish Christina Tucker accepts a nursing position working for Dr. Samuel Barlow, the sole physician in Longstock, Wisconsin for the last three decades. Her prime patient is Dr. Barlow's nephew battle fatigue veteran Holden Sutter.

Holden's brother Tyler, who served in the Pacific Theater is filled with rage yet also shows his concern for his sibling. Christina cares for both brothers, but it is Tyler who she wants. However, neither she nor Tyler will risk hurting the emotionally scarred Holden. However, as the nurse and the two brothers work out their relationships, resident Morris Doyle blames Barlow for the death of his brother Jimmy and plans to enact vengeance against the loved ones of the revered doctor.

This delightful post WWII thriller stars a strong small town cast struggling to move passed the war. The tenuous relationships between Tyler, Holden and Christina make the tale fun to read while Dorothy Garlock paints a vivid the backdrop of 1946 Wisconsin. Although the Doyle subplot adds suspense, it detracts from the otherwise terrific Tucker tale (see Stay A Little Longer and Keep Little Secret).

Harriet Klausner
66 comments|6 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 13, 2012
I bought this book for my mother who loves Dorothy Garlock books. I gave it to her last Christmas. She's
in an 'assisted living' facility. One of the ladies who works there, also enjoys DG books, so they swapped
books. I'm giving it a 4 star rating because my mother said she really enjoyed it.
on December 21, 2011
3.5 stars
I absolutely adore fiction set in the 1940s. Dorothy Garlock best-known for her American romance never disappoints with her timeless stories of love. Her latest novel from Grand Central Publishing entitled Come A Little Closer blends the turmoil of a nation recovering from war with a touch of small town and romance.

Christina Tucker a former nurse in Worl War II longs to continue her career helping people heal both physically and mentally so she agrees to take a position helping Dr. Samuel Barlow at his general practice. If she survives the trip to her new home she just may be able to fulfill her dreams. When Christina unexpectedly meets the doc's two nephews her desire to help goes beyond nurse/patient kinship and she must decide between two intriguing brothers both with their own shares of baggage.

If you're at all familiar with Ms. Garlock's stories you know that simple settings and complex romance are her style. In Come A Little Closer she delivers just that. While it was a bit frustrating that everything seemed to happen so quickly between Christina and the Sutter brothers, it was still enjoyable. Two antagonists who were completely unrelated but equally insane made for some very interesting situations for the Miss Tucker and the entire Barlow/Sutter family. I've come to the conclusion that romances feature some of the creepiest characters and Garlock's villains definitely get under your skin in a not-so-good way. This is a general market romance so there is a love scene but nothing over the top and some strong language but not so much that it turned me off to the story.

* I received my complimentary copy from the publisher in exchange for posting my honest review.*
on September 20, 2013
I did not enjoy this book as much as I have other Dorothy's books. I think it was because the girl was little miss wonderful and could fix any mans problem. Even so it was a good read. Just be sure if you are reading a series of books that you read in sequence . Other wise you already know what's going to happen in the other books.