5.0 out of 5 stars Purple Grooves!
Published on September 6, 2007 by Erick Bertin

3.0 out of 5 stars Deep Purple called it quits after this album
THE BAND: David Coverdale (vocals), Tommy Bolan (guitars), Jon Lord (keyboards, organ), Glenn Hughes (bass & vocals), Ian Paice (drums & percussion).

THE DISC: (1975) 9 songs (listed as 10 tracks on the disc) clocking in at just under 37 minutes. Included with the disc is a 4-page booklet containing assorted black & white band photos, song titles/credits, song...
Published on August 31, 2006 by R. Gorham

5.0 out of 5 stars Purple Grooves!, September 6, 2007
Erick Bertin (Santo Domingo, Heredia Costa Rica) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Come Taste the Band (Audio CD)
Come Taste the Band was the last studio record Purple did in the 70's. And it is a great example of how a million people (and maybe a few more...) CAN be wrong... all those fans who ignored it because it didn't feature Ritchie Blackmore don't know what they're missing. You, my friends, on the other hand, if you are reading this, is because you're interested, and I can promise you that if you keep reading and ultimately decide to purchase this record, that interest will be duly rewarded!

In 1975, shortly after completing an european tour in support of "Stormbringer", founding member, guitarist and resident tyrant (don't get me wrong, i'm a huge fan of his music, but the guy has serious issues...) Ritchie Blackmore left the band. An established act like Purple has 2 choices in such a situation: call it a day, or soldier on with a replacement. Purple chose the latter, and faced with that, they had 2 ways to go too: either choose an imitator and try to recapture the original sound and glory of the band, or forge ahead in a new direction. Again, they chose the latter, bravely enough. Rumor has it they originally set their sights on Jeff Beck, but unable to get him, went with a rather "risky" choice: a young yank named Tommy Bolin, with more of a background in Jazz/blues/funk/fusion than (hard) rock.

What did they come up with? Instead of telling you first what you're gonna find here, i'm gonna tell you what you are NOT gonna find here: you're not gonna find "Highway Star", or "Space Trucking", or "Burn" or even "Stormbringer" for that matter. Meaning that those songs driven by a big, nasty guitar riff are gone. That's not a bad thing, it just IS. With the departure of Blackmore, the remaining members were given ample space to unfold their talents, and they certainly show it here: Paice never drummed better, Lord is there filling in for Ritchie with his ever immortal Hammond B3, Hughes is in fine shape both as a bassist and singer, Coverdale sings his lungs off and Bolin, while not sounding like Ritchie Blackmore (he didn't even try, which was a bold decision...) makes a strong impresion throughout.

The band was, at least at the moment of the writing and recording of this album, rejuvenated and reinvigorated, and it really shows. My only observation would be about the vocals: how come there are only a few tandem vocals here? Coverdale sings the lion's share while Hughes sings two solo numbers ("Getting Tighter" and "This Time Around"), but the only song where they truly sing together is "You Keep on Moving". The tandem vocals are one of the features that originally fascinated me about Mk III, so I was hoping to get some more of those here. Still, their individual performances are consistently top-notch.

Try to imagine a cross between "Strange Kind of Woman" and "Might Just Take your Life" and you are halfway there! Most of the songs are rather carried through by the monster grooves that the band creates: "Coming Home", "Lady Luck", "Getting Tighter" and "I need love" (the latter being one of my favorites) are the best examples of this. Then you have a few songs that are a little more guitar driven, but here again they are different: instead of big classical scales (a trademark of Blackmore), the guitar riffs have a bluesier, "Hendrix-ier" feel to them, like the case of "Dealer", "Drifter" and "Love Child" (which is a bit reminiscent of Zeppelin's "Heartbreaker"). And then you have 2 succesive HUGE songs to top it all: "This time around/owed to G" , which is a two part song, the latter being an awesome instrumental that takes us back to those jams the band became famous for, and "You Keep on Moving", a song that can remind you a bit to "Child in Time" by its atmosphere, with the harmonies of Coverdale and Hughes being a high point. This album is awesome!!!

So what was the problem, then? Was it too funky? Nope, actually Stormbringer is way funkier than this. Was it too soft? Nope, the record rocks big time. Was it "less good" than previous records? Most definitely not! The reason is very simple: any band that experiences that many lineup changes is bound to lose (at least some of...) its identity, whether they realise it or not. And that's what happened here. Add to that the substance abuse issues that both Bolin and Hughes had, that would end up causing the implosion of the band and the death of Bolin shortly thereafter, and you realise that it just wasn't meant to be.

The bottom line: if you liked Stormbringer, you will LOVE this record! So if you don't have Stormbringer, i would recommend you to get that first. If your favorites are albums such as Burn and Machine Head, this may be a little odd for you. But i honestly recommend you to get it either way. If you like good, groovy rock, you should love this one too! Great music is great music, and you should give it a try! And the timing for you all to get this CD couldn't be better, either: thanks to this Friday Music release, you won't have to shell out any extra money to get the import version(s). I'm a diehard, and this is without a doubt one of my favorites. Go ahead and give this band a taste...

5.0 out of 5 stars Look no further for some excellent Deep Purple rocking!, July 8, 2000
C. Clark (United States) - See all my reviews
Come Taste The Band is one of my absolute favorite albums ever. Sometimes I think it might be my favorite Purple album, as big a Blackmore fan I might be--for Tommy Bolin really injected so much vitality into the band in 1975, it spurred the others on to new heights at times, regardless of whatever problems they had a few months later on the road. The album is blessed with thick, muscular production and a devil-may-care attitude in the songwriting and the playing. It is a welcome addition to any serious collection of hard rock and a shame it is not given more airplay on so-called "classic rock." Track by track:
1. Comin' Home--Bolin's echoplex opens up this uptempo rocker which will have you on the floor in no time. Even my 2-year-old daughter loves to dance to it. Coverdale's voice is quite powerful on this track as well as the whole album; here the lyrics are almost like an update of the In Rock classic "Speed King," with many allusions to the '50s and having a good time. Bolin's solo, backed by nimble Paice drumming, never lets up.
2. Lady Luck--A real gem, from Bolin's old band Energy, here given the Coverdale treatment. Check out the slide solo and the "false" ending before crashing in with the randy chorus: "Lady Luck/Come on give me what I want/Pull me up/If I see you again, I will call you my friend/Mmm-hmm!"
3. Gettin' Tighter--Hughes here finally gets to put his love of hardcore funk to the forefront of Purple; Blackmore would have disagreed. Glenn and Tommy both shine, with a bridge that is almost pure funk, surely a shocker to hard rock fans in 1975. No matter, the joie de vivre is real and intense throughout.
4. Dealer--If the previous song is about life, this song is about the underbelly, a warning against drugs which was (obviously) not always heeded. Here Coverdale lays it on the line--a dealer just keeps you begging for more. The guitar solo at the end drives the point home. Of interest is the fact that Lord is rather subdued on this album, as though he deliberately downplayed the keyboards to introduce the world to the new guitar player.
5. I Need Love--here Deep Purple almost goes disco! Many hardcore fans consider this tune the album's weakest, but I love its attitude. The chord progression and vocal melodies are almost Motown-ish, but a definite British hard rock take on Motown to be sure.
6. Drifter--My personal favorite. The tune has evolved from the June 1975 California rehearsals into something a bit tougher, with lyrical allusions to the Allman Brothers (!) backed by an almost Black Sabbath-like riff. The breakdown plays sweet to the sour.
7. Love Child--Taken from an old James Gang tune Tommy had been forced to play, but here twisted into a sinister take on Zeppelin's "Heartbreaker." Lord gets in some playful synthesizer licks on the breakdown.
8. This Time Around/Owed to "G"--Lyrically, Glenn Hughes' tribute to Stevie Wonder, but the melody supposedly comes from George Gershwin. The harder "b" section is Bolin's baby, the closest he comes on the album to the jazz-rock fusion he so dearly loved.
9. You Keep On Moving--Finally, Glenn and David sing together in harmony again. The simple chord structure (later utilized by Pink Floyd for "Comfortably Numb") is backed by subtle slide/echoplex guitar maneuvers. A haunting way to end a thoroughly rocking album.
In closing, a classic. When they clicked, Tommy Bolin and Deep Purple tasted great together. Check out the Days May Come CD to see how some of these tunes were put together, and then check out the King Biscuit live CD for a great example of how they carried it onto the stage...and into the history books. Great cover and sleeve photos as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Immediate!!, November 24, 2007
This review is from: Come Taste the Band (Audio CD)
When I was 13, my older brother, a tremendous force in the direction to which my initial musical indulgences went. Walked in the door with this album under his arm.
I had at this point about 10 albums in my collection. I had Machine Head by DP and thought, wow, what a cool and classy looking album cover.
My experiences with Deep Purple's history outside of Machine Head were quite uninformed. But, one thing was for sure. When I heard the opening open quick drum roll, Tommy Bolin (need I say more?), and the opening lyrics.... Blew me away!
I was hooked!
Producer Martin Birch's incredible recording of this lineup is a masterpiece. This was, and is still to this day an absolutely essential part of my musical collection through 3 vinyl copies and one Japanese CD edition.
It is a perfect album and a sadly underappreciated one in the Deep Purple discography.
This is...Are you ready?? My #2 favorite Deep Purple album after Made in Japan. I think that it is simply incredible. It is funky, rockin', tight and simply some of the best boogie Rock-n-Roll to pour across my early ears and still to this day. NOTE: This is coming from a person that listens to an incredible amount of music from all genres (Except Rap/Hip Hop) and owns over 10,000 albums/CD's. The band is just having an incredible time here. It is obvious.
Plus, I feel deeply that any previous record by Deep Purple didn't have the production quality of this album. Often the recordings on "In Rock" etc. were incredibly compressed and seemingly muddy. To no fault of the musicians. The thing that to this day stands out for me with CTTB is how good these guys were at this time. Largely still are as musicians and vocalists. Their last few records are very, very good.
Here, David Coverdale took the combination of his Ian Gillan meets Paul Rodgers/FREE era styled blues vocals to a new level. I had never before or since heard him sing this well. (Ok, maybe on his first pre-WS solo album?) Glenn Hughes is an incredible soul singer. He is an amazing bassist. Jon Lord is brilliant. He open's up here in only his best way and with possibly some of his best work. Ian Paice is, and will always be, my favorite rock drummer of the "classic rock" era. Not a bad tune in the lot.

Dig it up and play it loud. Come on..."Come Taste The Band.

Perfection!!

5.0 out of 5 stars time to taste the band, October 31, 2008
This review is from: Come Taste the Band (Audio CD)
Even 33 years after its initial release this is a difficult album to review.

I don't think many Deep Purple fans gave Mk IV much of a chance when "Come taste the band" was released. It was nothing like "In rock", "Machine Head", or even "Burn". By the time I got interested in rock music in the late 70ies the verdict was that the album was crap, and that Mk IV was a crap live band (the horrible "Last Concert in Japan" seemed to provide the evidence), and so I never bothered with them.

Somewhere along the line I heard "Lady Luck" on the radio on thought "not bad". I bought Billy Cobham's "Spectrum" with Tommy Bolin on guitar and thought it was so good that I even bought Tommy Bolin's first solo album and thought it was very good too. But I still didn't feel like tasting the band.

In 2006 I read the reviews of "On the wings of a russian foxbat" and got interested enough to buy it. To my surprise I enjoyed this Mk IV more than "Live in Paris" recorded with Richie Blackmore less than a year before.

In 2007 the remastered version of "Come taste the band" was released, and finally, after only a year of hesitation, I got a copy.

I admit that it was not easy at first to listen to the CD. The music was nothing like Deep Purple. But then I somehow I got over the hump. I kept playing the CD in my car for days (I wouldn't want to try this with any other Purple album), got to like it, and finally to love it. There is not a single weak song to be heard, even though it took me a long time to fully appreciate the ballad "this time around".

No, it's not a Deep Purple album. Not really. But a great rock album it is for certain. I can't stop wondering what might have been had Bolin and Hughes not been drug addicts and the band had gone on. Man, they were good.

There is only one more thing to say: come taste the band!

4.0 out of 5 stars I have to disagree with critical opinion on this one, November 28, 2004
Arnold Rimmer (Albuquerque, NM USA) - See all my reviews
This is probably one of my biggest breaks from popular opinion. Machine Head is their best work in my opinion, and most critics would agree. But I'd consider this album a reasonably close second, while most people would put it near the bottom of the list. They'd lost Roger Glover on bass and Ian Gillian on vocals a few albums back, and finally had to replace Richie Blackmore on guitar, possibly their most defining personnel change. With most of the group now gone, they made this one last album before they broke up, not to return until their ill-conceived '80s comeback. They still had Jon Lord, perhaps the greatest metal keyboardist ever, they got Tommy Bolin to fill in on guitar and really experimented. The results are absolutely phenomenal. Every track burns from beginning to end with the ferocity of a dying organism and the unfettered creativity of a group of people with nothing to prove. Although I hate to single any part out, perhaps the defining moment is a two movement piece at the end that starts off as a vocal ballad with all the instrumental parts played on multi-track by Jon Lord and then transitions seamlessly into one of the most smoking instrumentals I've ever heard, featuring the whole band. And yes, the album's a little cheesy. But it's so fervently cheesy that you can't help liking it. I've had this album for nearly two decades, and I every time I'm not listening to it I think that it can't possibly be as good as I remember. But then I put it on and it's even better. It never disappoints.

5.0 out of 5 stars The BEST Deep Purple Album!!!!! Have YOU Heard It???, May 6, 2004
T. Kasuboski (Winneconne, Wisconsin United States) - See all my reviews
Here is why "Come Taste The Band" is the BEST Purple album.
1. Tommy Bolin was a better guitarist and song writer than Ritchie Blackmore.
2. The album works as a WHOLE, and builds into a finale rivaled only by(in a VERY different way) 'Hard Lovin' Man' from "In Rock".
3. Coverdale, for ONE album ("Come Taste The Band") sounds BETTER than Ian Gillan.
4. Glenn Hughes and Tommy Bolin were the greatest duo to ever grace a Purple album(JUST LISTEN TO 'Gettin' Tighter'!!!)
5. The album recieved virtually NO airplay, but after about 2 listens you can hum every damn song....
6. "Come Taste The Band" acts as a showcase for each members(Coverdale, Bolin, Hughes, Lord, Paice) unique talents, and offers a BALANCE often lacking in the Blackmore controlled albums.
7. The story behind the album is by far the most interesting of any Purple album. This line-up and album SHOULD have sucked!!! But instead, with the help(?) of massive amounts of cocaine, Bolin's innovations, a lack of Blackmore's ego and control, and a frighteningly brilliant BOND between ALL the players on this particular album, "Come Taste The Band" stands out as a perfect product. It almost makes you cry at the fact that this Purple line-up only released ONE album. It DOES make you cry that Tommy Bolin(possibly the greatest guitar prodigy of the 70's) died of an overdose a year later.
8. In memory of Bolin, this album stands as a memorial to his ability to work with ANY band. Even one as ego-filled as Deep Purple. Come Taste This Album. DO NOT DISMISS IT LIKE SO MANY OTHER PURPLE FAN FOOLS!!!! The album is a 10 outta 10, just like everything else Tommy Bolin was associated with.

5.0 out of 5 stars WHAT PURPLE COULD HAVE BEEN AND SHOULD HAVE BEEN!!!!, April 3, 2009
This review is from: Come Taste the Band (Audio CD)
I have been a Deep Purple fan since high school when I was 13 years old when I bought my first Deep Purple album featuring the wickedly good line-up that featured Turner as the lead singer but produced what that godawful red-headed stepchild REO Speedwagon-Foreigner disgustingly bad rip-off " Slaves and Masters ", that only had the one good track ( The INSANE first track " King of Dreams " ). After that I picked up all of their other albums in succession according to the line-ups and of course I started with Mark II, then Mark III, and so on. When I got to Mark IV I was COMPLETELY BLOWN AWAY BY THIS ALBUM FOR ONE REASON AND ONE REASON ALONE: TOMMY BOLIN. THE GUY WAS AN INSANE GUITAR PLAYER, especially on tracks like " Coming Home ", " Dealer ", the disco Purple track " I Need Love, and " You Keep On Movin' ". I had never heard a guitarist like him ever in my life and after being a Classic Rock/ Hard Rock/ Metal fan for most of my life I don't think there will ever be one like him again. If you're a new fan just getting into DP, RUN, DON'T WALK TO BUY THIS ALBUM IF YOU CAN FIND IT LOCALLY and then buy some of Bolin's other works, especially his two solo albums " Teaser " and " Private Eyes ", Tommy Bolin Whips and Roses 1 & 2, and anything else you can get your hands on that's legit Bolin. Having died of a heroine overdose at the age of 25 we weren't blessed to hear the sounds that this legendary guitarist would have made over the years, and it's a damn shame that most people today haven't heard of him but I think that's more a testament to how narrow-minded people are in their choice of good quality music and see it as just music but for serious fans of any band it's art, and Tommy Bolin's canvas was his guitar.
The album itself is a mixed bag, I do have to say. Coverdale sounds more mellow and groovy than he did in " Burn ", whereas Burn had slower tempo tracks then this album did ( mostly cos Blackmore's guitar playing didn't have the frenetic energy and flair Bolin was known for ) on this album he and Glenn Hughes are singing in concerto, that is they sound more on the same page on this album then they did on the previous Mark III albums they had made with Blackmore. This was a really revitalized era for Purple and could have been a kind of Renaissance for them, but by this time Lord had been thinking of quitting the band for a while and almost all of them were hooked on drugs and the rock and roll lifestyle had gotten to them, but not before they entered the studio to record the album! It's just a fun, fun album if you're more into blues rock and jazz ( the main reason Blackmore quit the band, since he was having problems with Coverdale and Hughes over their love of what he referred to it as " shoeshine " music. )
That is where the true problem with this albums lies with true DP fans, and causes the raging debates that you'll hear from all the warring Purple factions. This album is not DEEP PURPLE MARK II, AND IT NEVER WOULD HAVE BEEN. I'm sure most Deep Purple fans would have been happy it the band had changed it's name to reflect something new and didn't have the moniker Deep Purple since most fans have a hard-on for Gillan or Blackmore ( both of whom I love to death but I think of Deep Purple as an institution, not as a band ) but most fans probably don't know that the band was actually founded by Jon Lord and the first musician he approached to join was Blackmore, and that little tidbit has been lost over time and later on Blackmore took over more and more and Lord went along. The power struggles with Gillan and Blackmore led to the Mark III phase and while most people didn't initially know how to react to Coverdale subbing in for Gillan it was Glenn Hughes who made a more capable and better bass player than Roger Glover, so this thing went on and on until Blackmore finally had enough and founded Rainbow. This could have marked a new era in Deep Purple's history, but tragically this final, tragic album was their last until the Mark II reformation in 1984. Bolin breathed new life into Deep Purple just like Steve Morse did in 1996, and his flailing guitar playing and thrashing style should be emulated more today ( IF at all possible, cos NOBODY comes close to playing like this guy, NOBODY. ) For anything else, BUY THIS ALBUM TO HEAR TOMMY BOLIN SLAY YOU WITH HIS GUITAR ELTEE!!!!!!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars 30 plus years ago don't sound so old..., May 5, 2006
it's hard to believe this release is over 30 years old. originally released on vinyl in '75, there is not much from that era that can match this one. if you don't own this cd, or have never listened to this, then you better snap it up now. and when i say that not much can match it from circa '75, i'm including some lofty players like Rush, Zeppelin, Thin Lizzy, you name it. the musicianship is absolutely trmemendous, the songs catchy, the vocals on point. this is by far the best Coverdale DP release, and that is saying alot. check out Bolin's guitar work. superb. Ian paice easily out does the likes of Bonham on drums. and, well, Lord and Hughes are just being themselves. i especially like the track "love child" with it's funky rythym section and catchy hook. "gettin' tighter" is a nother good one as well, but all the tracks are great. it is hard to believe this is 30 years old. it could be released today and be a hit. it's a shame it never really got the acclaim of Machine Head, and is, in my opinion, a much better album. it has all the taste of Purple, a sprinkle of Foghat, a dash of classic Travers and Lizzy, but puts it all together to make a 4 course, 5 star meal. peace.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Taste of Rock & Roll!, October 3, 2008
Deep Purples last with Coverdale & Hughes was probably not popular with
die hards but is still one of the best. With Tommy Bolin on guitar this
has more funky/blues & slow numbers but still rocks. Its worth a listen
just for the classics Gettin' Tighter, This Time Around & You Keep on
Moving which is one of my favorites. The band still plays great & this
music should not be dismissed. I'm sure fans of Coverdale & Hughes love
this as I do! It's a must for any fan of all!

5.0 out of 5 stars DEEP PURPLE KEEPS ON MOVING !!, October 1, 2003
What a great album is this one! You can listen to the energetic enthusiasm here and how much they are enjoying recording the songs. This is one of Purple's finest albums. The Coverdale vocal trademark on "Lady Luck", "I Need Love" & "Drifter", the great "Gettin' tighter", the awesome "Love child", the beautiful "This time around" with the usual great Glenn Hughes vocals, and the finest tune in here "You keep on moving" which is sometimes left out of DP compilations. Unbelievable. This album has no waste. Enjoyable from beginning to end. Tommy Bolin fits perfectly well with the band. Comparing him with Ritchie Blackmore is unfair, like BK from Philadelphia does. Yes, Ritchie may be better guitarist, but thinking that Tommy Bolin is not that good 'cos of comparations?... well then I will mention Jimi Hendrix and then Ritchie can go to wash dishes ;-) So what I mean is, not because of the "not being as good as" it means is not a valid effort. Tommy Bolin does a great job and on the writing of songs, Ritchie is not missed at all. Neither on the performance of them. And again, for those who glorify Ritchie Blackmore, just take a listen to the album he did in DP with Joe Lynn Turner on vocals :-S Certainly the worst DP album ever and HE WAS THERE BUDS! So people, move on, Deep Purple with or without Blackmore still rocks and it's on great shape !!!! DEEP PURPLE KEEPS ON MOVING!! Also VERY RECOMMENDED the Live CDs of this line up: "LIVE in TOKYO 1975" and "LONG BEACH ARENA 1976".

Come Taste the Band
Come Taste the Band by Deep Purple (Audio CD - 2007)
Rate and Discover Movies