5.0 out of 5 stars Funny stuff
Really funny book. woke wife up a few times giggling. Looking forward to the 2nd book. If u wanna fun book read this.
Published on April 22, 2012 by Mr. J. F. Pilott

3.0 out of 5 stars An excellent laugh!
Published on October 4, 2010 by Lindsay

3.0 out of 5 stars An excellent laugh!, October 4, 2010
Lindsay "VaBookworm87" (Virginia Beach, VA USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Comedy. Memoirs of a bar steward (Part One: 14th-25th August: From the city to inside the Queens Legs.) (Kindle Edition)
Based on the life of the author, Scott Evans, Memoirs of a Bar Steward is a hilarious account of Jacob Cox and his family moving to a seaside town in Ireland. Jacob is convinced he lives among a bunch of lunatics and after passing his A-levels, he wants nothing more than to get away from his crazy family. Through a sudden turn of events, he is named the licensee of a pub his father has bought. Jacob sees this as the event that will be the making of him, so he pitches college and moves with his family to prepare to take on the task of running his "classy establishment."

Jacob's ego is awesome. He's convinced he's God's gift to the people of Torquay, come to deliver them from their lower class ways into a more high end lifestyle. He's sure that his family will ruin his pub, and is determined to keep out the commoners and cater to the more civilized populace. He's completely oblivious to the fact that he's incredibly arrogant, and is confused when people seem to be put off by the things he says. Jacob's delusions of grandeur and total lack of social etiquette are so cringe-worthy that you can't help but laugh! Needless to say, his attitude gets him into a never-ending slew of trouble with his family and the locals (let's just say there's public humiliation and the Irish mafia involved).

The language is colorful, but adds an incredible amount of personality to the writing. When you read it, it flows more like a natural thought process than a narrative, which I personally think is fantastic! I had a professor tell me once that I write the way I speak (which apparently isn't professional), but I think that it helps to convey a larger amount of emotion and personal touch to the writing.

Mind you, this is not a book for your kid! This story is chock full of double-entendres and sexual innuendos (my personal favorite was the bit about the Queens Legs on p. 43). The language can be quite foul at times, and even crude at parts, but I think it gives a lot of validity to the fact that it's from the perspective of an 18 year old. Ironically, even though Jacob considers himself the most respectable person in his family, he often finds himself in worse trouble than his brothers. This book explores all sorts of life experiences, from work and family to sex and drinking. Knowing that this story is loosely based on the life of the author, one can't help but wonder just how much of this story is fact (ouch!), and how much is fiction.

Memoirs of a Bar Steward is an interesting concept- it's written in the form of blog posts and emails following the fictional life of Jacob Cox as he and his family move to a new town and open up their own pub. This book is incredibly entertaining and is guaranteed to give you a laugh, but unfortunately I can't bring myself to rate it higher than a 3/5. My reason for doing this is because it's essentially unfinished. It's only 47 pages long, and at the end, you're left with a cliffhanger and a link to the fictional blog, where you can read the latest entries. I think that the finished product will be awesome, and the story itself is incredibly entertaining, but I think the author should hold off on publishing until the story is complete. That said, it's only $0.99 on Amazon, and will definitely give you a good laugh, so you should check it out!

2.0 out of 5 stars Of, 've, all the same, right?, December 19, 2011

Sorry, I couldn't get through it. At the first "should of", I had to stop reading and delete. Ask a friend or an elementary teacher to proofread part two.

1.0 out of 5 stars A waste of time, April 30, 2012
I get the pun now. I should have realised. I keep trying to find a decent comedy book and thought this might be it. This is banality at its worst. I suppose one gets what one pays for though, this was free! Save your virtual money and pay to read a real funny writer. Try Stephen Fry, David Luddington. Robert Rankin, Douglas Adams, Terry Pratchet etc. I'm going to give up on 'Free' books, they may be free in monetary terms but they swallow expensive time when for a little money you can buy something half decent.

5.0 out of 5 stars Funny stuff, April 22, 2012

3.0 out of 5 stars Hmm, could be interesting, December 30, 2011
If you are willing to chalk the poor grammar and writing style as an "effect" created to underscore the idea that this is being written as blogs and emails by an 18 year old twit, it is bearable. It has potential and I hope the rest of the story fleshes out the characters as I wouldn't mind knowing more about (Ma and her family, cousin Koopa, brother Miller, etc) but am afraid it won't. Because the story is told in a disjointed, "this is what happened in the last hour as I saw it and I am the king so it is right" style it is unlikely the reader will get more than what is here---Jacob's version of how wonderful he is and how stupid everyone else is.

Some funny moments, but more adolescent than entertaining.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bloody Funny., November 25, 2011
A review of `Comedy Memoirs of a bar steward' (Part One: 14th-25th August: From the city to inside the Queens Legs.) by Scott Evans.

5 stars

I read the first page and thought I would hate this comedy, with its protagonist having an ego the size of Birmingham. The author says this is based on his life; I hope Jacob is in his imagination and not based on himself. I read on and the book did what a comedy should, it made me laugh, a lot.
The story is told by Jacob, he is a modern rending of Rick, of the Young Ones fame, large ego, little brain and a very poor grasp on reality. He is there to be bullied. The book had me wanting to bully him; this character is great, as are all the Cox/O'shea clan. The unreality of it all is brilliant, the scenes are short and focused, there is no unnecessary padding and the story benefits from the enthusiastic and fast flowing style of Scott.
This type of novel is why you should buy a reading device and read Indie writers. This book will never be released by the main stream press, it's not politically correct, it's too short and it might ruffle some feathers (We can't have that can we?). It's everything we need in this fluffy, health and safety world.
I loved it.
The only drawback is, as with a lot of comedies, where do you go now? Without repeating the same moments over and over. I'm curious to see, how the wonderful characters are developed. I will be reading the next part very soon.
Excellent work Scott. (You can tell I'm a teacher?)
Review by Jeremy Poole

5.0 out of 5 stars OMG, i couldnt stop laughing, September 27, 2011
Read this on my Kindle on the long trip from NYC to Boston via Amtrak. It was ideal for such a long trip and made the hrs fly by.

Loved it! Cant wait for the next installment

4.0 out of 5 stars I Grinned, I Laughed, and Then I Frowned . . . That's It?!?!, August 11, 2011
Jenn "book fiend" (Greenville, SC USA) - See all my reviews
Let me begin by saying I absolutley LOVED this book. It isn't meant to be the next best-seller or even to leave you thinking about it and then world for days to come. No, this book is meant to make you LAUGH, and laugh I did!

It was quite unbelievable at times that the "author" could be so clueless in his arrogance but it was humorous just the same. The best part, for me, was the writing. This book/blog was written exactly as Jacob Cox and his family speaks. I know when I write a paper or even my own blog, I am careful to ensure that I use proper words, no slang, proper punctuation, I don't end the sentences with prepositions . . . you get the picture. But Scott Evans/Jacob Cox writes exactly as he speaks. I found myself reading his story complete with an accent that I definitely don't have! It put me right into the story with the crazy family and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

And then it ended. :( It ends right when Jacob's crazy mother is about to REALLY join the story . . . and all we're left with is a link to the fictional Jacob's blog. It's a short read and believe me, I'll be checking out the blog link so I can continue this crazy awesome story.

It's free right now so why NOT check it out? What do you have to lose? I gave this story 4/5 stars ONLY because it was too short! Had it continued I would have given it a full 5.

4.0 out of 5 stars Exquisitely fun and wittingly written, August 13, 2010
The ultimate mood lifter. This book will entertain you and provide an insight into the delusions of grandeur too many of us suffer from without daring to admit it. You'll recognise them as you go along and laugh out loud as you encounter the gaffes and faux-pas committed by the main character and his acolytes. A truly entertaining read and much better than a visit to my local.

Rate and Discover Movies