5.0 out of 5 stars Never thought I'd want to be wrecked!, January 15, 2013
This review is from: Comforts from Romans: Celebrating the Gospel One Day at a Time (Paperback)
Most of my life I have fought bravely to have a "stiff upper lip", "keep it together", or "be strong". As I began reading "Comforts from Romans" I was struck with the thought that really, I want to be wrecked! I want to be undone in my own attempts at morality, independence, and self-sustenance! I want to be like Paul whose system of "righteousness" was utterly wrecked when he was exposed to God's amazing grace. We should start a movement and make our own t-shirts WRECKED BY GRACE! Whose with me!?!?!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Gospel Tour De Force, January 19, 2013
Comforts from Romans is a tour de force of gospel goodness. Elyse moves expositionally through Romans unpacking the gospel in each section. The book is structured for use as a daily devotion. Elyse makes it through the end of Romans 8 in 32 days. This book is part joyful worship, part balm for the weary soul, part hope for the hopeless, and part redounding proclamation of the greatness of God in the gospel of Jesus Christ.

We've come to think of the word devotional in terms of Our Daily Bread or Ligonier's Table Talk (both helpful in their own right) but J. I. Packer says,
Whatever the reason, the fact is there, and our idea of devotion appears foreshortened. Once it signified adhering to God, the Father, the Son and the Spirit, in loyalty and love with all one's heart, mind, soul, and strength; a single-minded concetration on praising and pleasing God as our life's key activities. And included in the understanding of devotion was an appetite for learning wisdom from didactiv study and exposition of Scripture (Puritan Portraits "Prologue").
Comforts from Romans fits nicely in with Packer's description of devotion. Elyse will make you hunger and thirst after God and her single-minded focus on the gospel will drive you to depend on Christ alone and drive you to love our God, Father, Son, and Spirit, with your heart, mind, soul, and strength. What I also liked about this devotional compared to others was that each section was slightly longer than your average "devotional." Most of the time you get about a half a page blurb. With this book you're getting two or three pages of gospel rich soil (again nothing against shorter devotional but it's nice to see variety).

My only complaint was I was left wanting more. Why stop at Romans 8? Even with her purpose in mind, why not finish the book and do 60 days or 90 days worth of devotional? I would urge Elyse to keep writing these kinds of devotional. Why not write them for every New Testament book? Ambitious but would serve the church well and and teach others how to do these as they read through the Bible. Overall this book is a can't miss.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gospel-centered themes for comfort await you.., May 22, 2013
Thank you christianaudio.com for the opportunity to review this work.

I am so thankful for solid biblical works like these. In this devotional, Elyse (NANC counselor and acclaimed author) brings the message of the Gospel in an expositional daily review. With humor and authenticity, this work will take you day-by-day through the preaching the Gospel to yourself.

Taking a strong doctrinal book of the Bible like Romans and breaking it down into bite size daily meditation pieces is a challenge for any scholar, however, Elyse does a great job in bringing gospel-centered themes from a verse-by-verse perspective. This book was very interesting to me in that I love the book of Romans, strong biblical scholarly works and anything by my NANC certified brothers and sisters. Elyse does a great job of challenging, inspiring, and enlightening us to what the Gospel is daily and is sure to be something that I recommend visiting often. I was also struck by Elyse's commentary of sci-fi, fantasy and other real life illustrations to drive points home and reflects a great contextual discipler and evangelist.

As with anything that Elyse writes and does, she causes you to think, meditate, and contemplate the gospel through the lens of her own struggles and authenticity. This is so refreshing in a world of grit-your-teeth Christianity and she pulls it off well. Elyse also presents the book of Romans and her meditations in a cohesive and yet appealing personal manner. Elyse also successfully conveys biblical truth because her work is based on biblical truth/scripture so it is kind of hard to mess that up. In a publishing world that is flourishing with fluff, you will not find that in this work. I would highly recommend this work to anyone who wants to take a journey through Romans, be reminded of the Gospel, and most importantly, to glorify God and enjoy Him forever.

5.0 out of 5 stars Living Theology!!!, May 18, 2013
Wow! What a great audiobook!

The book of Romans is probably the clearest presentation of the Gospel in the entire Bible. A person could spend years and still not exhaust it's depths. For years, I have collected commentaries on this epistle. When I saw there was an audio version of this one, I was very interested.

At first, I was a little reluctant to read it. The design of the cover made it seem like it was written exclusively for women. I was so wrong!

It consists of small chucks of theology in devotional form. There are 31 chapters. In each chapter, Fitzpatrick focuses on the subject of each passage.

Normally, I do not care for devotionals. Many seem like fluff with a scripture added at the end. That was not the case here. I can only describe this book as "Living Theology". Each day takes you from doctrine to application. The focus on each subject keeps you interested. If you use it as a devotional, you will find yourself so interested that you move to the next day ahead of time.

It was a great read, or in my case "listen". The audio part of the book is as good as the material itself. Many books are good, but the narration does not do the writing justice. I have listened to hundreds of audio books over the years and Tavia Gilbert is one of the best narrators I have heard. I even searched for other books she has narrated.

I highly recommend it and give it 5 out of 5 stars.

I received this book, free of charge, from Christianaudio.com and Crossway books, in exchange for an honest review.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book!, April 22, 2013
I love Elyse Fitzpatrick because of her message of the good news of Jesus Christ. This book is a huge encouragement to me and makes me want to dive into the book of Romans and study it for myself.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Delicate Punch to the Heart, April 20, 2013
This short, meaty, devotional book takes readers through the Biblical truths and promises offered in Romans without sugar-coating anything. However, the way Fitzpatrick writes gently and kindly connects with the hearts of the reader, drawing them to the beauty and grace of the book of Romans. A great daily devotional or study companion for reading through Romans.

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible Encouragement, April 20, 2013
Jocelyne Neufeld (Garibaldi Highlands, British Columbia Canada) - See all my reviews
This little book is packed full of God's powerful promises to us through Paul and Elyse has an incredible way with encouraging us to see it the way it was intended!

5.0 out of 5 stars Truly comforting, June 22, 2014
Patti Bowen (Oak Creek, WI, US) - See all my reviews
I so enjoyed this book. It truly is comforting and put joy in my heart each day as I read through it.

5.0 out of 5 stars WHAT AN AMAZING READ, May 29, 2014
I WAS OVERWHELMED AT TIMES READING THIS BOOK.......TO GAIN UNDERSTANDING OF WHAT CHRIST THE SAVIOUR
DID ON THE CROSS AND WHAT HE CONTINUES TO DO FOR THOSE WHO PUT THEIR TRUST IN HIM. AN EXCELLENT READ...
I TOTALLY RECOMMEND THIS BOOK

5.0 out of 5 stars Great comfort, May 14, 2014
Elyse breaks down Romans into daily, (or in my case, moments of quiet while waiting in the carpool pickup lane to pickup my kid from school) nuggets to keep my focus on what God has done for us.

Comforts from Romans: Celebrating the Gospel One Day at a Time
Comforts from Romans: Celebrating the Gospel One Day at a Time by Elyse M. Fitzpatrick (Paperback - January 31, 2013)
$14.99 $11.90