Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on March 5, 2012
***Spoiler***
When I started reading this book, it was amazing. I was feeling things right there with Farrell-even had to get tissues a few times. Also, the sex was hot. On the downside, the writing is a bit immature-like she started writing it when she was in college. And I just couldn't get over how Farrell changes his mind about his lovers so easily. I don't understand how he could ever be friends with Allen, no matter how much he apologized. I don't understand how he and Toyo could resolve things so easily after all that trauma. I think the author rushed through the resolution a bit too much, and it just didn't feel natural. In all, I loved the first half of the book-the second half, not so much. I seriously hope Rivers overcomes her issues, because I would definitely recommend a second book minus the mistakes.
on March 7, 2012
I think the author put together an original ensemble of characters: Farrell, the former high school bully, is a classic example of kid who is projecting the difficult situation he has at home outside, plus he is also fighting the realization he is gay, when his family is uber-conservative and anti-homosexual; Toyo is the fat kid, the one with a very low self-esteem, the one that today, successful business man, is still looking behind his shoulder believing everyone is laughing at the "fat kid"; even Allen, Farrell's "bad" boyfriend, is, in a way, a good character, so vain that he is almost a farce. Maybe the only complain I have is that all these characters were too "harsh", their edges were not smudged, and in this way, sometime, they scratched my reading. Farrell's tendency to always fall in tear, Toyo's stubbornness to always see the worst in Farrell, Allen's selfishness, Ty's mother being so uncaring, all of them were on the edge, like their faults were magnified by a lens.

But I applaud to the author's plotting skills, and even if on the edge, their characters were for sure not ordinary. I above all liked that, even without being common, these characters were not extraordinary, and please forgive me the strange contraposition: the author managed to build an original story with ordinary characters, Farrell is not some unrealistic romance hero, Toyo is not a knight in shining armor; Farrell is generous, able to great kindness towards Ty, but Farrell is also the kid who was torturing Toyo; Toyo managed to build a new future for himself, but he is not turned into a fitness model, he is still an ordinary man, struggling with maintaining the right weight, still with his self-esteem issues.
on February 10, 2012
I really liked this book. We all look back at our past with regret, and we are seldom given the chance to make amends. Ferrell was not a nice teenager, but most of us aren't. He was wrapped-up in himself and did not notice the harm he was inflecting. Later when he meets Toyo again, Toyo cannot believe that Ferrell has changed. This story is about forgiveness and understanding other's circumstances. I completely recommend this book.
on June 21, 2013
I started reading this book and could not put it down but I had to go to bed. The next day I thought about the characters and could not wait to come home and finish the book.
on July 27, 2013
I really loved this book I've read it four times. I hope we hear more from these two. it took a lot for these two get past their history.