Coming Attractions (Katie Weldon Series)
Format: PaperbackChange
Price:$9.01 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on August 29, 2009
Format: PaperbackVerified Purchase
I love all the Christy/Sierra/Katie books! This is by far the best yet. I had my doubts at first. Katie seems to fall prey to the world's way of living life and choosing her direction in life by those standards. And, it seems as though because of that, she has really matured. Yet, she has inner conflict about ending college and beginning her new phase in life. A surprise visit by her parents at this point was heart-warming. But then at the very end of the book, everything changes rapidly. In one way I was disappointed in the ending (while I was reading). As I reflected about the story longer I realized that Katie was listening to God, drawing on His power and strength to follow a direction in life greater than some worldly standard novel way... Then I realized Robin Jones Gunn had finally done it. She had shown how as we as humans always rely on our goals that we had set up. We find it odd or disconcerting when people change those goals. On the outside we tend to judge and diminish a person's frivolous new ideas, without even giving God the credit for the nudge in a different direction.

Enjoy the read!
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on September 7, 2009
Format: Paperback
I have been a fan of Robin Jones Gunn's books for over a decade. They literally kept me focused and encouraged in my relationship with the Lord through my teenage years, keeping me from making decisions that I'd regret later on and helping me commit to my morals and standards. I am SO thankful that these books, these characters, this author has been a part of my life.

Out of all three Katie Weldon books, this one was definitely my favorite! I read it three times in one week! I am always overwhelmed by how much I relate to the characters in her stories! I always seem to be going through the same trial as them and have received enormous amounts of wisdom through Robin over the years. I fully believe that the Lord works directly into these books and these characters.

I don't want to give any of the book away, but I will say that Robin's writing is addictive, once you read a single book of hers - you will want every book of every series! I guarantee it! I know this first-hand since they take up two shelves in my bookshelf! haha Give this book a try and I promise you that these characters will be 'forever held in your heart!'
on September 4, 2009
Format: Paperback
This was a great book! I've read it twice already. One thing I liked about this book better then the second one in the Katie Weldon Series, was that the whole story was not on the back cover. I had a feeling in book 2 that Katie and Rick wouldn't end up together, but it couldn't have turned out better than it did in Coming Attractions. I got the book free from the publisher and I couldn't put it down once I started!
on July 6, 2009
Format: Paperback
This was an excellent continuing book for the Katie series. It takes a very unexpected turn towards the end of the book. I made the mistake of reading the last page before getting through the second chapter and then spent the rest of the book asking "what the heck!!!" All in all it was another excellent story. Can't wait to see what happens next for Katie.
on August 20, 2009
Coming Attractions
Katie Weldon Series
Robin Jones Gunn
2009
Zondervan
Fiction/Christian/Contemporary

Reviewed by Cindy Loven

For more than half her life, Katie Weldon had dreamed of being Rick Doyle's girl. And now she was, and had been for a year and a half. So why was she feeling so uneasy about her relationship with Rick?
Why did it seem such a struggle to see him? Sure they were both busy, she finishing up her last semester in college and he working hard to open two cafes with his brother. Still there was a uneasiness in the relationship.

When it hit her, being the every impulsive person she was, she had to share with Rick right then.
Their relationship was over, because they had gone as far as they could go in their hearts. They were not knit together in their hearts. Rick is angry, hurt and downright mad at her. She is trying to deal with her own emotions of an ending relationship.

Watch as Katie's friends help her through this sorrowful time, and help usher her into a relationship that she is very resistant to, but that is God ordained. Follow along as Katie, helps guide Rick into a new relationship with a close friend of hers. Be amazed at just how smoothly God works out this mangled and twisted relationship.

While this book is part of a series, and there are references to happenings from other books, this story totally stands alone. You will enjoy it on its own, or perhaps be inspired to check out more of the series. A wonderfully written book, a well presented story. A story of love and grace. 288 pages [...]
on June 21, 2009
Format: Paperback
Reading this book brought a smile to face. I was surprised with the ending of this story and totally thrilled how Mrs. Gunn amazed us all. I'm so happy for Katie and what God planned for her life. This story has taught me to continue to focus on what God has in store for me life. He is the ONE TRUE GOD!
on November 30, 2011
Format: Paperback
This book review is for the novel "Coming Attractions" by Robin Jones Gunn. It is the third book in the Katie Weldon series.

I have long read the novels of Robin Jones Gunn and they have long had an honored place on my bookcase.
I love her books! And always greet the news of a new one coming with much anticipation and excitement!
My excitement for this third book and the new fourth book in this series was no less and once again, Robin, did not disappoint.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
With graduation swiftly approaching, Katie Weldon, is caught up with the roller coaster that is her final weeks in college. Fighting a horrible cold and never getting to see her boyfriend, Rick, adds to her inner turmoil.

Katie has waited on Rick and dreamed of him and a what a relationship with him would be like since they attended high school together.

With her dream finally realised and them as a couple on what they consider a correct path, what could go wrong? They have done everything they can, to do the right thing and have already decided to let the relationship remain in their relaxed mode until after Katie graduates. Graduation looms as that mark of things to come, milestones to encounter and possibly a long term lifetime commitment for the two of them.

As Katie travels this rolling road, small road signs and then much larger ones seem to be pointing her in a direction that leads directly away from Rick and that commitment that she wants but doesn't.

Will Katie trust God to lead her where she needs to be and to WHOM she needs to be with? Dive into book three and find out!

*Note* I received this book for free from Zondervan Publishers in exchange for a review about it. I am not required to post a positive review. Any opinions expressed are my own and they are sincere.
VINE VOICEon September 1, 2009
Format: Paperback
Coming Attractions is my first experience reading about Katie and her friends and I have to say, I really enjoyed it. I am sure readers who have been reading this series from the beginning will be delighted with this latest book. I am a big fan of the Sisterchicks series and I know Robin Jones Gunn can always be counted on to write entertaining and wholesome stories that are centered around Godly principles. It is very refreshing to read a book about college students who do not participate in the kind of activities that most college students participate in. Mrs. Gunn is setting a Godly example for the young women who read her books.

All that being said, I really enjoyed Coming Attractions. The story is interesting and funny. The characters are charming and endearing. This book brought back all the memories I have of my last few weeks of college and all the stress and work that had to be done. I really admired how Katie handled everything all the while keeping her heart focused on her faith. She has a wonderful group of friends who support her and help her, and they have some fun along the way. Katie got herself into some messy situations that were extremely funny and added such a nice touch of humor to the story just when it needed it.

Overall, Coming Attractions is an excellent book, even if you have not read the previous books. This book is great for younger women, but I enjoyed it tremendously and I am well past my college years. Parents can buy this book and feel confident that their daughters will receive a Godly message.
on September 11, 2009
Format: Paperback
Some of you may know Robin Gunn from her Sister Chicks series, or the Christy Miller Series. I really enjoy those. Robin has a very smooth writing style that will make you laugh and if you're anything like me you'll feel like she's reading your mind. She's quite funny!

The best part of the book was when Rick told Katie not to "go hormonal" on him. I had someone say that to me once, and I totally understood Katie's reaction. I love how Robin includes everyday and relate-able slang. There was more than one time I caught myself laughing out loud with this book. I was smiling, or giggling, or waiting for something good to happen. Robin definitely kept me turning pages!

The book is full of silly girl things that only girls can really understand and love! This is the kind of book that I would let any teenage girl read as well. It's full of characters that prove to be good examples and what friendship is about. I really love books that prove that. They put them in real dilemmas and struggles that we go through (or can live vicariously through lol). This book touches on subjects of the heart that most girls face at one point or another and you'll find you might even tear up a bit amongst the laughter.

If you're looking for a hilarious and heart warming read pick up a copy of Coming Attractions . I really had a hard time putting it down and loved all the different rides she took me on. You'll enjoy the tilt-a-whirly ride you go on!

Thanks Robin for giving me a good giggle! I truly enjoyed it.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Format: Paperback
Coming Attractions by Robin Jones Gunn is the second book in the Katie Weldon series. It's always hard picking up a book that comes near the end of a series you are unfamiliar with, as it was for me with Katie and her friends, but Gunn keeps the exposition to just the necessary minimum. Katie is gearing up for her college graduation and considering a life with her long-time crush and new boyfriend (finally!), Rick. But their plans seem to keep running in different directions, and with Eli giving her looks of more than friendship, Katie has no idea just what her future may hold. Katie is a fantastic character and completely refreshing in that she doesn't beat herself up trying to live for other people but listens to the Holy Spirit and starts to live the life of adventure He has for her. So many books aimed at young adults feature characters that flail around wildly frustrating the readers with stupid choices and actions, but Katie is just the opposite (although I get the impression that this attitude is a new one for the character). Her faith is amazing, and her character wonderful. The connection between Eli and Katie is electric, and I dare the reader to get through the final pages without tearing up! I hope that Gunn isn't finished with Katie, because I'd love to read more.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...