4.0 out of 5 stars Attempting To Understand An Unusual Experience
I can't say I intensely enjoyed reading this book but then I've never had a near death experience.

Published on May 2, 2000 by Jeff Marzano

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars
Meh
Published 20 days ago by nancy

4.0 out of 5 stars Attempting To Understand An Unusual Experience, May 2, 2000
Jeff Marzano (Essex Junction, VT USA) - See all my reviews

However it does stay consistent with the title. This book is not about describing near death experiences although some are described, mainly the author's. It's about understanding the experience and making recommendations about how to deal with the affects of the experience. There's quite a bit of material about philosophy and making correlations between main stream religious or philosophical ideas and the near death experience.

I would say a near death experience is consistent with the belief systems of most religions including Christian religions. The individual's entire life flashes before them instantly and they understand how everything they did affected any other person.

The author came close to dying several times I think and describes her experiences and tells how she attempted to deal with and understand these experiences.

She also tries to find similarities with others who have had similar experiences. These experiences are much more common today than in the past due to the ability of doctors to revive people who are almost dead. I believe nowadays for some delicate medical procedures people are almost put into a death state to greatly reduce blood flow.

I'm inserting a product link for the book by Howard Storm where he talks about going to hell for a time.

The author suspected that sometimes people don't often talk about going down there. Going to hell is an indication that a person's life has truly been a failure and that the person is bad.

This book is mainly positive. The author believes in God.

My Descent Into Death: A Second Chance at Life

Same Soul, Many Bodies: Discover the Healing Power of Future Lives through Progression Therapy

The Essential Edgar Cayce

Lives of the Master: The Rest of the Jesus Story

The Lives of Edgar Cayce

4.0 out of 5 stars the best one I have found so far on the topic, June 21, 1999
By A Customer
Having myself had an 'NDE' in 1975 without any actual outer danger to threaten my life, and being on a spiritual path since 1972 without belonging anymore to any religion, I have been especially happy to find this book, which has the widest perspective among the many others I have read on this topic. I have also been very happy to 'meet' Mrs Atwater through her book, for her delightful sense of humour and her down-to-earth simplicity about it all are quite refreshing and encouraging for those who, like me, are trying to be honest and sincere researchers, without being stuck into sterile 'scientific' intellectuality. I would be most happy to be able to communicate with her personally, even though I could not yet get copies of her subsequent books on the same topic.

5.0 out of 5 stars A NEAR-DEATH "EXPERIENCER" WRITES HER FIRST BOOK (OF MANY), April 11, 2013
P.M.H. Atwater (born 1937) has also written books such as Beyond the Light: What Isn't Being Said About Near Death Experience: from Visions of Heaven to Glimpses of Hell and Children of the New Millennium: Children's Near-Death Experiences and the Evolution of Humankind. In her "Opening Statement" to this 1988 book, she wrote, "This is a book about after-effects, consequences, if you will; what happens AFTER surviving the worst of all possible outcomes... Using the near-death experience as its premise, this book examines the cosequences of such an event." (Pg. xvii) She states in the first chapter, "I am a near-death survivor. That means I am one of those people who died but didn't stay dead. I came back. While 'dead,' I experienced something quite extraordinary... I experienced 'The Other Side.' I passed THROUGH death... What this book contains is an 'accident,' a by-product, if you will, from the experiences I survived in 1977 that so radically changed my life and me with it." (Pg. 1, 3)

She notes, "Negative experiencers are relieved and overjoyed to find themselves back in their nice, safe, comfortable bodies again... Many times they turn negative into positive by learning valuable lessons from their experience and taking steps to improve their attitudes and relationships with others... Why there are so few negative reportings, I do not know. It has been speculated by various professional researchers that these people may be afraid to speak up publicly and report such things..." (Pg. 18) Later, she adds, She also states, "Some survivors label their near-death experiences a dream and seem to forget it. Many cannot or will not integrate what happened, suppressing any constructive or beneficial change it could foster." (Pg. 113)

She observes, "Well over half the survivors I contacted want to write a book about their experience... They are imbued with a sense of 'spiritual mission' and a desire to help others. Once in a while, however, you run across one or two whose only thought is for fame and fortune with their blockbuster story..." (Pg. 23-24) She reports, "Researchers usually side-step other possibilities, especially if mention is made of the psychic, religion, spirituality, mysticism, or anything 'other-worldly,' preferring instead to brand such possibilities as 'insignificant' or 'unconfirmed.' For example, I was told by a former editor of 'Vital Signs' magazine that if I did not play down or preferably not mention the 'other ' after-effects the column I wrote would be cancelled." (Pg. 66)

She says, "That spiritual hunger opens many 'doors' to many discoveries. One of them is the discovery that---people who are not near-death survivors can have the same or similar experiences followed by the same after-effects! These other people have gone through some kind of transformational event or series of events which so deeply and traumatically affected them it is as if they 'died' and were reborn." (Pg. 119-120) She observes, "Other hi-tech methods exist today whereby a person can be 'wired up and plugged in' to receive a whole range of stimuli via music, pulses, beeps, tones, charges, and states, visions, and all the trappings of the enlightenment experience by stimulating the brain and neural processes ... Epileptic seizures are known to cause the same thing. Does this deny what has been previously said? No! You can short cut the process but you cannot short cut the aftermath." (Pg. 143)

Since this book deals more with the "after" part of NDEs, it will be of interest to those wanting more than just the NDE itself.

4.0 out of 5 stars Near Death Experience, February 13, 2013
Zazen (Cleveland Ohio) - See all my reviews
This book is well written and I enjoyed reading it. There is a good number of books in this particular genre and I have read many of them. Atwater's book was interesting beginning to end.

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars, July 11, 2014
Meh

Coming Back To Life: The After-Effects of the Near-Death Experience
Coming Back To Life: The After-Effects of the Near-Death Experience by P. M. H. Atwater (Paperback - October 1, 2001)
Used & New from: $3.50