5.0 out of 5 stars Great for teens and sports fans
Published on July 7, 2010 by J. Kennel

2.0 out of 5 stars Love Drew Brees...the book...not so much.
I LOVE Drew Brees and the Saints and I LOVE biographies so I thought this book was a good fit. I was wrong. For whatever reason I just could not get into this book. There was a lot of football jargon in the book that just made it really boring for me. I read the first few chapters and I just can't bring myself to pick it back up. I've read two or three other books since...
Published 17 months ago by Trisherz5686

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for teens and sports fans, July 7, 2010
This review is from: Coming Back Stronger: Unleashing the Hidden Power of Adversity (Hardcover)
Just read this book today and wanted to quickly share a "two thumbs up." This is the inspiring true story of Drew Brees' life, including being injured and having a comeback in professional football. Not to reveal the whole story, it is inspiring and involves a lot of courage and stamina on Brees' part as he faces challenges throughout his life, including a lengthy physical rehabilitation. The book is current and tells of the ups and downs, laughter and tears, victories and defeats of his life. Very interesting read for sports fans, and terrific read for teens whether they follow him or not. I have a couple of teen boys in mind who will love receiving this for a gift. I know teens aren't always keen on reading about adversity, but it's a great reality check and good book for conversations over dinner or a campfire.

If you want to read about a positive example, role model, mentor, or hero for young men today, Drew Brees is a great one!

one quick correction: the audio version is read by Chris Fabry and would be terrific for a car trip/vacation)

5.0 out of 5 stars A Real Treasure!, July 8, 2010
This is an enlightening well-written book for anyone! One lives through some days of adversity with Drew from a high school injury, college, draft, and the San Diego injury. These moments all played a role in preparing for his opportunity to play for the Saints. I began to see how his attitude, focus, preparation and team spirit has brought him to where he is today. I've been drawn to Brittany as I've seen her on television and was happy to see how much credit she is given as part of this story of success. This is definitely a very special family! Some incidents were quite amusing when the "idiot quarterback" at Purdue meets Brittany and his first thought is "I'm going to marry her" and she won't even talk to him and for good reason as Drew freely admits. I laughed out loud when Drew six months later is trying to get acquainted with Brittany and offered to drive her home in her car with a stick shift. Also special were Drew and his brother Reid as kids, the birth and naming of Baylen, and the weeks in the New Orleans home with a mattress on the floor and two camping chairs to sit in at night. We've all taken a turn at "camping in" in an empty home but it was just surprizing to see one additional revelation I could strongly identify with in the book. Finally reading about their Foundation and the enormous accomplishments to help others - children with cancer, schools and parks in New Orleans, Purdue Sports and the other ways Drew has helped in the community and supported our military. Adversity knocks on everyone's door and Drew offers some great advice on how to get yourself through it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book by an excellent person, July 9, 2010
What an incredible book. I have been a Drew Brees fan since he first stepped foot on the field for Purdue. This is an incredibly well-written and well-detailed account of the different points of adversity he has had to overcome in his life. I've met Drew a few times, and let me tell you, he is just about the nicest and most personable man in such a high position that you could ever meet. He has a chapter in the book titled "A Few Good Men" and in the chapter he explains how one day at church as a teenager he was listening to a pastor talking about how God wants 'a few good men' to "carry on his teachings and walk the walk with Christ." I can honestly say that Drew is certainly one of "A Few Good Men", not only in athletics but in the world today. The book is a must-have, whether you are a sports fan or not.

Oh, and I got my copy autographed today at his book signing at Purdue in West Lafayette, Indiana. :D

Drew, you're the best!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Role Model for the New Era, August 10, 2010
I live in Northeastern Ohio but have been a Saints fan since the "Dome Patrol" Era in the late 80s. I have always been my own man and I did not want to be like my father and like the teams he liked (he is a Browns fan). Fast forward to this past year. We (as in the Saints) won the Super Bowl and The Browns are looking for their first trip.

When I was exercising at my local Natatorium and saw the interview with Drew Brees about his book, I knew that was my Summer read. Right before my family went to Canada for vacation, I got the book and in record time, finished it in 3 days.

I didn't know much about Drew Brees up until his injury. I knew he played for the Chargers and that he was a decent Quarterback hidden in the shadows of Tomlinson at the time. When Katrina hit the Gulf and destroyed New Orleans, I was scared for the team and the 3-13 record reflected that. I loved Drew's upbringing, his discussion of his birthmark, his college days, the passion he had for winning and the struggles to not only impress his wife Brittany but to impress the Saints and the people of New Orleans. One negative side was that he had his team chants in there. The entire 2009 season people wanted to know what that was and he always told them that it was a team thing and he would not disclose it. Now, if other teams wanted to use it, they can since it is spelled out in the book. Although I wanted to know what they said, I think that he gave away a part of their success in the book.

The progress of success continues throughout the book and his faith maintained as well. I am always a little skeptic when reading about someone's faith because it turns into preaching and it is always forced. Drew never did this. He told about how faithful he was to his religion and that he always knew he was destined for something through God's will. In the end, he was...is. His love for his faith, wife, team, city, child culminated in Superbowl 44. Even after the climax of the Superbowl, Drew gives one more surprise at the ending and it gave me tears in my eyes because how similar his life and mine are in regards to his thoughts on his family.

I completely recommend this to any sports fan even if you are not a fan of the Saints. In a world of sports stars who are using PEDs, involved in scandals, always surrounded by shootings, robberies and drugs, Drew Brees is a role model for anyone and I truly wish there were more sports figures out there like him. After you read this, you will be in complete agreement with me.

Enjoy.

5.0 out of 5 stars great story, great guy, July 7, 2010
already liked Brees - this just reenforces my belief that he is a stand-up guy. wish we had more athletes like him for our kids (and us) to look up to.

5.0 out of 5 stars RICK "SHAQ" GOLDSTEIN SAYS: "A STORY ABOUT A GREAT MAN WHO HAPPENS TO PLAY IN THE NFL & IS THE SUPER BOWL MVP!", July 11, 2010
This is the autobiography of Super Bowl MVP Drew Brees... and though he is currently sitting on top of the world of football... and I am a sports fanatic... I think it would be a disservice to tell someone this is a football book. What this is... even to a person like me whose whole life has revolved around sports... is a book about *FAITH*... *BELIEF*... *OVERCOMING-ADVERSITY*... *CHARITY-FROM-THE-HEART*... and ok... it is about football. But what is so refreshing is that Drew's story is the antithesis of today's athletes whose stories fill police blotters as much as they do sports sections. You can't turn on the news or read a paper today without being deluged with athletes busted for drugs that range from marijuana-to-cocaine-to-all-types-of-performance-enhancing-drugs-to... *ILLEGALLY-OBTAINED-PRESCRIPTION-COUGH-SYRUP*. A day doesn't go by without an athlete being arrested for domestic abuse... DUI's... bar fights... gun possession... even money laundering and fraud. But Drew's story is filled with belief and faith in the Lord. He openly shares his epiphany along with the challenges... setbacks... and accomplishments he faced and overcame... from the bitter, emotionally crushing divorce of his parents... to high school sports... to Purdue University... to the NFL... first with the San Diego Chargers where he faced a career threatening injury. "AN EXAM WOULD CONFIRM A 360-DEGREE TEAR OF THE LABRUM AND A TORN ROTATOR CUFF. BASICALLY, EVERYTHING THAT HELD MY SHOULDER TOGETHER WAS SHREDDED. I WOULD LEARN LATER THAT ONLY ONE OUT OF FIVE HUNDRED SHOULDER DISLOCATIONS WERE LIKE MINE. THAT TRANSLATES to 0.2 PERCENT-ALMOST LIKE WINNING THE LOTTERY. BUT WITHOUT THE CASH."

When the people who "count" on the Chargers gave up on him his drive to recover and come back to prove everyone wrong was like a tsunami. Both physically and spiritually. Drew constantly reaffirms to himself and the reader that the Lord puts these obstacles in your way for a reason. His beliefs are interwoven with his football life in a way that is motivating... yet not so overbearing that a football fan who doesn't have these religious beliefs would be turned off from this book. He pulls no punches in what he went through as a free agent deciding between signing with the Miami Dolphins and the New Orleans Saints. He links his coming back from a potential career ending injury to a Pro Bowl player and Super Bowl champion... with the refusal to quit by New Orleans residents after Hurricane Katrina... and the rebirth of the New Orleans Saints as a World Champion after over forty-years of losing. To Drew all of this was not just happenstance.

Brees as an author and as a person... has an almost disarming and unarguable presentation format that even if he's taking a stand on what may be considered a controversial subject... combines a right-between-the-eyes-strength... and a soft dignity. Being that I'm an Honorably Discharged Viet Nam Era Veteran... it always infuriates me when so many athletes use terms such as "going to war"... and we're "warriors". Drew struck a very special chord with me when he wrote: "I WILL NEVER RELATE FOOTBALL TO WAR, NOR WILL I REFER TO FOOTBALL PLAYERS AS SOLDIERS. THE MEN AND WOMEN OF OUR MILITARY RISK THEIR LIVES EVERY DAY IN THE LINE OF DUTY, AND WE PLAY A GAME."

For potential readers who may not be looking for spiritual faith and belief within a football book because of contradictions between "words-and-actions" they may see and hear from other athletes... Drew couldn't have expressed himself any clearer or more poignantly than when he said: "THE CHALLENGE OF A CHRISTIAN ATHLETE IS TO LIVE THE LIFE THAT WE PREACH AND UNDERSTAND THAT WE HAVE BEEN GIVEN A PLATFORM TO MAKE A POSITIVE IMPACT IN THE LIVES OF MANY PEOPLE, ESPECIALLY KIDS. WHAT BUGS ME MORE THAN ANYTHING ELSE IS SEEING GUYS PROFESS THEIR FAITH ON GAME DAY WITH A POINT TO THE SKY WHILE THE CAMERAS ARE ROLLING AND THEN WALK OUT OF THE LOCKER ROOM INTO A LIFE OF SIN.

This is a tremendously motivational and inspirational book that not only a parent will enjoy and appreciate... but it's one that a parent can feel very comfortable about giving to their children. Drew stresses that he like all others is not perfect... and even shares his anguish when his estranged Mother commits suicide. As I said earlier... there is plenty of football in this book... but it is sooo much more than a football book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Read and Inspiring Story, July 8, 2010
David Kay (Lake Charles, LA) - See all my reviews
Few books can both inspire and entertain at high levels, but I found Drew's book to be one of those rare exceptions.

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy two..., January 6, 2011
L. T. Cooper (Metairie, LA USA) - See all my reviews
I bought a copy to share with my wife and she can't put it down - and she is not a big-time reader! That tells me the style of writing flows for any reader. In the middle of a task or conversation, she will shout out a quote from the book about Drew's upbringing, athletics, or family. I am going to have to buy another if I ever want to be able to read it myself - with all of her spontaneous outbursts, I feel as though I've already read the book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Sometimes your greatest victories can come from your greatest defeats, January 6, 2011
How true and especially applicable to those of us over 50, out of work for more than six months wondering not WHEN but IF we will EVER work again! Like Drew Brees we have paid our dues, become well educated, expertly trained in our respective fields with many years of experience yet because of a set of negative circumstances i.e. serious injuries in his case; a poor economy, unfavorable politics or some other (hidden from us) reasons in ours. we find ourselves in a seemingly hopeless position with a bleak future.

For those who do not know, Drew Brees is the 2009 Super Bowl MVP-winning quarterback for the New Orleans Saints. A 2001 graduate of Purdue University, he initially played for the San Diego Chargers. As he writes in the book's Epilogue: "My dream was to win a championship with San Diego and play my whole career with that one team. That didn't happen--it wasn't the plan. And it took a devastating injury to tear me away from that city." At one point Drew Brees actually believed he might NEVER be allowed to play football again. Yet, in the end, as he further writes: "A step back is not necesarily a setback. Sometimes you have to take a few steps backward before you can get the momentum to jump over a chasm in your life." Brees tells the reader: "When people think you're not big enough, not smart enough, not wise enough, or not experienced enough for a task, remember that faith will carry you through....It is not where you start in life, but how you finish. It's that last play that can make all the difference in the outcome" and "...when you least expect it...opportunity will present itself." As we all know now, Drew Brees ended up being named 2004 Comeback Player of the Year, 2006 Walter Payton NFL Man of the Year and 2008 Offensive Player of the Year. On February 7, 2010 he led the Saints to their first World Championship against the Indianapolis Colts in Super Bowl XLIV. Through all of it Drew Brees believed: "It was the fact that God was with me every step of the way. I had a strong belief that no matter what happened, things were going to work out for the greater good."

After retiring in Miami in 2004 after 28 years of military service, my husband, still not of (civilian) retirement age, was hired to work at Fort Stewart, Georgia. In an effort to be a "good" supportive wife I had to leave an outstanding job in Miami to follow him here. It took nine months for me to find a job at Winn Army Community Hospital located on the same post. Sad to say, however, my father's physical health worsened in the summer of 2007. My mother requested assistance and I asked my superiors for Leave Without Pay to help care for him. This was denied so I resigned to be with my father in his final days. Since that time I have not been able to get another job. It really feels like being punished for choosing to do the right thing. Now after three years of unemployment it really does feel like I will never work again. Yet after reading this book and seeing what the Saints winning of the Super Bowl did fo the City of New Orleans, I really feel inspired. There may be hope for me (any many like me) yet.

I love when Brees writes: "The tougher the journey, the sweeter the celebration at the end..don't forget that adversity is not your enemy. It can unleash a power in your life that will make you stronger and help you achieve amazing things--things you may have never thought possible--until now." He goes on to say: "DON'T GIVE UP. The worst thing that could happen in life is not getting kicked down; it's getting knocked down and STAYING down." For those of us like myself it CAN indeed be hard to believe that we will ever work again. I mean a study by the National Employment Law Project clearly informs us that "older workers -- those 45 and up -- make up the largest slice of the long-term unemployed". Additionally, the proportion of people jobless for six months or more has grown in the past year and now makes up 46 percent of the unemployed. With statistics like these, it is really hard NOT to give up.

Brees advises the reader that in order to come back after a disappointment and accomplish something good you have to believe in something bigger than yourself: "I clung to the belief that if God calls you to it, he will give you the power to walk through it. He will give you the tools required to accomplish the task. He will give you the heart, the resolve and the fortitude you need....Having hope in the Lord means I trust his plan and believe he's never going to put anything in front of me that's too hard to handle with his help. BE FLEXIBLE enough to know when you're being led in another direction, and then follow that new vision with all your heart. You are being led there for a reason...You have to look around and believe that the negative stuff is there to strengthen you and can successfully lead to a big break. But you have to be on the lookout for it, and you have to keep believing that God can work in the midst of even the most trying circumstances...You can come back...even stronger."

5.0 out of 5 stars A great man, a great book., August 5, 2010
This book was written beautifully, from the beginning when Drew painfully describes his near career ending shoulder injury, it feels like you were feeling it yourself. I also enjoyed his sweet story of meeting Brittany and his determination to show her the real Drew. But what really affected me was (and I don't know how I could have missed this when it happened)his realization of his mother's suicide, so sad and shocking. I love that throughout the book he very much defines what faith is through his actions and his openness to let God guide him. I have met Drew and Brittany and Baylen several times and they really are such a humble, giving and loving family. The impact they have had on New Orleans can never be overstated. Now everyone can know how truly great the man is with this book.

Coming Back Stronger: Unleashing the Hidden Power of Adversity
Coming Back Stronger: Unleashing the Hidden Power of Adversity by Chris Fabry (Hardcover - July 6, 2010)
$26.99 $17.91