5.0 out of 5 stars Daily food for my soul!
Published on October 29, 1998 by linda@bookman.org

1.0 out of 5 stars Coming Home to Myself
Too much rehash of the author's former work plus a secondary author added her prose and it was not the quality of the author's so felt mislead and even more disappointed.
Published on December 12, 2007 by Penny

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Daily food for my soul!, October 29, 1998
linda@bookman.org (San Jose, California) - See all my reviews
I've opened this book from my desk at work, at a stoplight in the car, by candle light in the bathtub, walking in the rain for coffee on a Saturday morning. Each time a passage speaks to me and soothes my soul. I've read passages over several times, sometimes getting a bit of a different meaning as I personalize it. The pages are dogeared, tagged with post-it notes, and many of the passages have been shared with friends and family to engage introspective discussions.

5.0 out of 5 stars A pleasing compilation of Marion Woodman's ideas., June 11, 1998
This book makes more accessible many of Marion Woodman's ideas, observations and stories found in her previous books and audiocassettes. Jill Mellick has sensitively gathered Marion's words, organized them by topic, and formatted them in a pleasing visual style, adding her own watercolor illustrations. This is not a book to sit down and read from cover to cover; rather it is best used for dipping into, perhaps at random, perhaps as a starting point for daily meditation. Readers do not need to be familiar with Marion's other books to enjoy these extracts, but may find they wish to look further at her work after this taste.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Wonderful and Soulful Meditation, August 3, 2005
This review is from: Coming Home to Myself: Reflections for Nurturing a Woman's Body and Soul (Paperback)
This is a wonderful book on identity. It's a collection of short, easy-to-read chapters for women about "loving their femininity, themselves and each other" and for men "who are coming to grips with the lost feminine in themselves."

One of the most heartening chapters for me is the one on creativity. I'm a writer, so this chapter really spoke to me. This is some of what they say:

"Some people think of creativity as something that artists possess. It might be more helpful to think of it as Jung did, as an instinct. We can bring creativity to almost every life activity. Moreover, we can use certain imaginative forms of creative expression through the arts to explore personal, spiritual, and psychological development."

Herein, by the way, is a major difference between Jung and Freud. Freud thought the highest evolution of humans was toward rational thought. One this was achieved, we would no longer have a need for art, he thought. (Freud was an athiest.) Jung, however, believed in the mysterious possibilities of life, in a spiritual life, and in the importance of art in expressing not only our pain but also our joy. I find Jung's philosophy to be much more to my liking.

Woodman and Mellick also write:

"Creativity is divine:

the virgin soul opens to spirit

and conceives the divine child.

We cannot live without it.

It is the meaning of life,

this creative fire."

In the chapter on creativity, Woodman and Mellick also touch on the difference between "doing" and "being." They say:

"When doing is all we know,

being is just another word

for ceasing to exist.

When being begins to flow

through dance and paint and song,

joy is no longer luxury

but absolute need."

This is a terrific book. I keep it within easy reach at all times. It gives me comfort, revelation, and inspiration.

5.0 out of 5 stars a beautiful way of bringing images into daily meditation, October 28, 1998
marion woodman and jill mellick have brought so many of marion's finest writings into one place, so that we can benefit from the imagery and wisdom of this wonderful woman....i highly recommend this to anyone interested in bringing images, dreams and spirit into daily life

5.0 out of 5 stars Gems of Wisdom & Nourishment, February 17, 2007
Chloe (San Diego, CA) - See all my reviews
I purchased a copy of this book for myself, but have given one to my mother and will purchase another for myself. It is a beautiful distillation of the wisdom of Woodman's works that you want to keep close to your heart, like a friend who gently tells you the things you need to hear at the right time. I deeply appreciate the expansion of Woodman's wisdom provided by Jill Mellick. Wonderful nourishing for a woman's soul!

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding book for women!, November 29, 2008
I am thrilled with the book. I pick it up everyday and just randomly open it to any page and it is inspiring, motivating, and just what I needed for that day! I would recommend it to any woman who wants to nurture her mind, body, soul, and her inner child. You will honor the woman inside you by purchasing this book!

1.0 out of 5 stars Coming Home to Myself, December 12, 2007

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful resource for women, February 17, 2009
This book is a gem and filled with wisdom for women . Marion Woodman is a superb writer about the sacred feminine.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very insightful and inspirational book to enjoy Coming Home to Your Self, April 25, 2014
very interesting book, at first I wasn't quite sure because of me trying to figure out what the little tibbits of sharing were after the inital introduction to each chapter, but then once I slowed down to really "connect" with what the authors had created, I was so inspired by the opening chapter page and THE LITTLE TIBBITS OF WRITINGS by Marion Woodman that I then decided to share this book with other women on one of my facebook pages. And THEY ARE LOVING THIS SHARING! I share maybe one or two of these little insights and wow, the joy they are getting also doubles my own!
and the first few pages of encouragements on how to truly enjoy this connection and book ---wonderful ways to CONNECT being reminded and embraced through the mention of them.
a very good book for WOMEN! very empowering, very insightful, very motivating
if you're serious about COMING HOME, this book is definitely a TOOL to help guide you to different ways this occurs when you connect with yourself!♥

4.0 out of 5 stars Giving and Receiving, January 20, 2014
One of the first pages of the book deal s with a persons abilities at giving and receiving. I will from the book be aware more fully at how much I am willing to receive and ask for what I want. I feel more comfortable giving than I do receiving.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›