5.0 out of 5 stars hard to beat
Published on September 9, 2008 by D. J. Barber

3.0 out of 5 stars songs
only 1 or 2 good songs, the music I ordered was correct and what I expected of this product. good quality cd
Published on January 21, 2013 by oscar franco

5.0 out of 5 stars hard to beat, September 9, 2008
D. J. Barber "barbs" (launceston, Australia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Coming To Terms (Audio CD)
Now and again a musician has a watershed moment in their life where the music they created on paper is envisioned and captured by a producer who knows exactly what is needed to get the best out of each song. After listening to music consistently for 40 years you pick up a thing or to about what a hit album consists of. In that time I have heard some excellent releases across the genres in music. All the best albums had a consistency about them from start to finish. Carolina Liars release Coming to Terms is an album like that. I do not review albums as a rule. I felt I had to with this; it is that good. If this does not end up rating as one of the best new releases ever then the music industry has lost the plot. The only problem for the artist in my opinion is I don't know how they can outdo this.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fresh New Sound--Yet Somehow Familiar, March 15, 2009
This review is from: Coming To Terms (Audio CD)
Every once in a while a new music group comes along with a sound that is so fresh and so good it makes you stop and take notice of them. One such group is Carolina Liar. Their CD, "Coming to Terms" is a real treat to the ears.

Yes, there are shades of Maroon Five, U2 and Coldplay in their music, but since when is a good influence a bad thing? More importantly, there is originality combined with energy intertwined with every cut. And, most unusual for a freshman album, there isn't a weak song in the entire album set. This is a feat rarely accomplished even by established artists. It occurs only on those magical occasions such as was done by the incredible Alice Smith in her freshman outing For Lovers, Dreamers & Me

It is hard to find criticism with anything on this album. I suppose that if something negative has to be said, it could be said that the production is a little heavy handed. This is good material that can stand on its own without the need for multi-tracked electric guitars each one overlaying even more electric guitars. ("Carolina Liar Unplugged" anyone?) Even ballads like "Beautiful World" and "Better Alone" start out softly and gently but are soon accompanied by heavy metal overdubs. (If you want to hear a sample of what this group can do with a lighter production hand, check out the concluding song "When You are Near." The production is much more restrained on this cut and it's the better for it.)

Okay, now let me be fair. It's a pity that the production is heavy, but it is also a nit. This group's music is so good that it tends to transcend the over production. And candidly, production is often a matter of taste and values.

One of the cuts is entitled "Something to Die for." If this music is any representation of what is to come, Carolina Liar's music is absolutely "something to die for."

Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Fresh Sound, December 6, 2008
This review is from: Coming To Terms (Audio CD)
Great album on the whole, nice synth driven rythms throughout and thoughtful vocals. Pretty much every track is a winner, you will get a lot of listens from this album, though "All That Sh** is gone", "california bound" and "show me what im looking for" were standouts.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Pop Album, May 25, 2009
This review is from: Coming To Terms (Audio CD)
Most of my reviews are for more hardcore genres of music but, VERY occasionally, a pop album catches my fancy. This is one of those albums. I saw a video (which I hardly watch MTV) for "Show Me What I'm Looking For" and liked it enough to download the album. The more I listen to the album the more I like it. The last pop band I liked this much was the Fray. I am not comparing this to the Fray for it is different. The songs are catchy and most have an infectious chorus. Pure pop delight. The above mentioned standout is probably the most overproduced pop song I have ever heard with all the elements including bells, dramatic crescendos, and even gospel singers! But the Euro producers hit an absolute grand slam with this song and it may be one of the best pop songs ever, in my humble opinion. The rest of the album is very good so this is definetly not a "one trick pony." I dare you to listen to "Show Me What I'm Looking For" and not then listen to it ten times in a row. The song is that good. This band will have a hard time besting this effort.

5.0 out of 5 stars Holy COW People - this is the REAL DEAL!, July 11, 2008
This review is from: Coming To Terms (MP3 Music)
Wake up People! Maybe a hint of British Rock, a hint of 80's synth pop rock, w/ an alternative twist of lime, the REAL DEAL! Freshest sounding CD I have heard in a LONG time. Ever get pissed because you buy a CD with one, maybe two good songs? EVERY SONG is killer here! Buy it, download it, whatever - get it!

4.0 out of 5 stars Very very good Debut, March 5, 2009
This review is from: Coming To Terms (Audio CD)
I heard 'Show Me What I'm Looking For' on Sirius radio on the drive to work, and could not shake the song.

I ensured that my iPhone's Shazam locked the signal, then, later, when I got home I found the artist, did some research, listened to the 30second previews.

It's one thing to chunk ~$1 on a track, another - these days- to spend coin on an entire CD. The whole, cumulative effort, should be worth it- there are far more bands worthy of 1-Hit wonder status, for example, then 'that's a good CD' status.

Luckily, then, for me, I did purchase the CD.

It's not perfect (hence 4 vs 5 stars), but it's a rock solid debut.

To me, the stand out tracks include Coming To Terms, California Bound, Show Me What I'm Looking For and I'm Not Over.

Buy the whole thing. Help an (struggling) artist. And be rewarded with a CD worthy of your time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tragic, Haunting Lyrics... Beautiful Tunes., December 28, 2014
This review is from: Coming To Terms (Audio CD)
This album is full of the most beautiful but tragic, haunting songs I have heard. The songs are so lovely while the lyrics so sad and tearful. Somehow, someway it makes me feel safe and secure in my life as it is, because I did not walk down these paths. Maybe I have healed enough to feel relief that I am still here to enjoy these songs and did not fall prey to them into a world of self destruction. I love this whole album. I got this because of "I''m Not Over" a song that really touched me with its lyrics and melody. "Last Night" really blew me away about how wrong impressions can be and how you have to know people over time. That first impressions can be so wrong and need to be given some time to settle and digest. "Better Alone" is another poignant song about relationships, that speaks volumes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Real music for real people!, November 20, 2010
Zanriel (NW Arkansas) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Coming To Terms (Audio CD)
I can't say enough good things about this band. Amazon recommended them to me, then I heard them a few times on Pandora, and I just had to have it. Oh my gosh, this is good stuff. If I could give it 6 stars I would. Every single song is great from start to finish. Everyone I've played this CD for has also loved it.

It's peppy, it's passionate, it's powerful... pure pop goodness.

I could compare them to other bands, but I feel like that would be doing them a disservice. If you like real music that moves you, has catchy melodies - stuff that makes you want to close your eyes and let the music move you, don't skip this one. Listen to the samples and trust that it's all at least that good, if not even better. Carolina Liar is amazing. I sure hope they come out with another album soon!

5.0 out of 5 stars Easily one of the best alt pop albums of 2008, September 6, 2008
This review is from: Coming To Terms (Audio CD)
Yes, there is a touch of The Killers here, as well as Fleet Foxes and Adam Schmitt. Ignoring the similarities, and judging the album on its own, one must admit that it is a gem. It's very well written, produced, and put together for a debut.

The first 4 songs may grab you the quickest, with "I'm Not Over" the instant standout, but the rest of the album will quickly grow on you and I find myself always listening right through the last track. The album is personal and evolves throughout. From the cynical let catchy, Killer-esque "Last Night", to the more spiritual sounding pop of "Show Me What I'm Looking For", the artist is indeed coming to terms with their perspectives on different relationships, working it out in the music for all of us to enjoy.

4.0 out of 5 stars No Lies with Carolina Liar, September 1, 2008
Derrik in Seattle (Seattle, WA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Coming To Terms (Audio CD)
This group reminds me of The Killers first CD. I didn't care for their second one. Every track on this CD is worthy of a listen and I didn't reach for the skip button once on my iPod. This is rare. In today's "marketing gimmick" rich music industry, this group's music just comes across as fresh and "genuine". Something that is hard to find. This isn't a product where you feel like you paid all that money for one good song that you leave on repeat. At some points during the musical journey, you almost feel like you are back in the 80's, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. The vocals aren't quite strong enough to deserve 5 stars. But 5 stars aren't easily given. I am happy to have found this diamond in the rough.

Coming To Terms
Coming To Terms by Carolina Liar (Audio CD - 2008)