Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Coming To Terms
Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM

Format: Audio CD|Change

on September 9, 2008
Now and again a musician has a watershed moment in their life where the music they created on paper is envisioned and captured by a producer who knows exactly what is needed to get the best out of each song. After listening to music consistently for 40 years you pick up a thing or to about what a hit album consists of. In that time I have heard some excellent releases across the genres in music. All the best albums had a consistency about them from start to finish. Carolina Liars release Coming to Terms is an album like that. I do not review albums as a rule. I felt I had to with this; it is that good. If this does not end up rating as one of the best new releases ever then the music industry has lost the plot. The only problem for the artist in my opinion is I don't know how they can outdo this.
VINE VOICEon March 15, 2009
Every once in a while a new music group comes along with a sound that is so fresh and so good it makes you stop and take notice of them. One such group is Carolina Liar. Their CD, "Coming to Terms" is a real treat to the ears.

Yes, there are shades of Maroon Five, U2 and Coldplay in their music, but since when is a good influence a bad thing? More importantly, there is originality combined with energy intertwined with every cut. And, most unusual for a freshman album, there isn't a weak song in the entire album set. This is a feat rarely accomplished even by established artists. It occurs only on those magical occasions such as was done by the incredible Alice Smith in her freshman outing For Lovers, Dreamers & Me

It is hard to find criticism with anything on this album. I suppose that if something negative has to be said, it could be said that the production is a little heavy handed. This is good material that can stand on its own without the need for multi-tracked electric guitars each one overlaying even more electric guitars. ("Carolina Liar Unplugged" anyone?) Even ballads like "Beautiful World" and "Better Alone" start out softly and gently but are soon accompanied by heavy metal overdubs. (If you want to hear a sample of what this group can do with a lighter production hand, check out the concluding song "When You are Near." The production is much more restrained on this cut and it's the better for it.)

Okay, now let me be fair. It's a pity that the production is heavy, but it is also a nit. This group's music is so good that it tends to transcend the over production. And candidly, production is often a matter of taste and values.

One of the cuts is entitled "Something to Die for." If this music is any representation of what is to come, Carolina Liar's music is absolutely "something to die for."

Highly recommended.
on December 28, 2014
This album is full of the most beautiful but tragic, haunting songs I have heard. The songs are so lovely while the lyrics so sad and tearful. Somehow, someway it makes me feel safe and secure in my life as it is, because I did not walk down these paths. Maybe I have healed enough to feel relief that I am still here to enjoy these songs and did not fall prey to them into a world of self destruction. I love this whole album. I got this because of "I''m Not Over" a song that really touched me with its lyrics and melody. "Last Night" really blew me away about how wrong impressions can be and how you have to know people over time. That first impressions can be so wrong and need to be given some time to settle and digest. "Better Alone" is another poignant song about relationships, that speaks volumes.
on March 12, 2015
A more upbeat song you will not find. Some maintain it has religious meaning, but ti seems more of a plea to a help-meet to lend direction for an aimlessness and misdirection we all experience. I sit and listen to it over and over, thinking it to be too short and so lovely.
on September 23, 2012
I first heard of Carolina Liar at the Kelly Clarkson/The Fray concert. They opened up and was instantly hooked. The song that really hooked me was Last Night, and the line "Did you come up to me so your night would be cheaper." How great of a line is that. I would definitely recommend checking this album out for a nice, light hearted, good feeling music.
on December 6, 2008
Great album on the whole, nice synth driven rythms throughout and thoughtful vocals. Pretty much every track is a winner, you will get a lot of listens from this album, though "All That Sh** is gone", "california bound" and "show me what im looking for" were standouts.
on October 25, 2015
Such a great CD, beautiful melodies, catchy but not simple/bubblegum, lovely instrumentation, great lead vocals and vocal harmonies. One of my favorites. Hard to compare to others, but think Beatles, Squeeze, Jellyfish, Cotton Mather, a bit of John Mayer perhaps.
on October 19, 2012
This band has a wonderfully chill sound. A nice blend of acoustic and vocals. I actually listen to both of their albums from start to finish. Among my favorites for the time being. I like every song, although some may complain that they all sound similar.
on May 25, 2009
Most of my reviews are for more hardcore genres of music but, VERY occasionally, a pop album catches my fancy. This is one of those albums. I saw a video (which I hardly watch MTV) for "Show Me What I'm Looking For" and liked it enough to download the album. The more I listen to the album the more I like it. The last pop band I liked this much was the Fray. I am not comparing this to the Fray for it is different. The songs are catchy and most have an infectious chorus. Pure pop delight. The above mentioned standout is probably the most overproduced pop song I have ever heard with all the elements including bells, dramatic crescendos, and even gospel singers! But the Euro producers hit an absolute grand slam with this song and it may be one of the best pop songs ever, in my humble opinion. The rest of the album is very good so this is definetly not a "one trick pony." I dare you to listen to "Show Me What I'm Looking For" and not then listen to it ten times in a row. The song is that good. This band will have a hard time besting this effort.
on July 11, 2008
Wake up People! Maybe a hint of British Rock, a hint of 80's synth pop rock, w/ an alternative twist of lime, the REAL DEAL! Freshest sounding CD I have heard in a LONG time. Ever get pissed because you buy a CD with one, maybe two good songs? EVERY SONG is killer here! Buy it, download it, whatever - get it!