Best Books of the Month Shop Men's Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Janet Jackson All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Amazon Gift Card Offer blacklist blacklist blacklist  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Shop Now Learn more
Customer Discussions > The Rescuers forum

Coming to Blu-Ray Summer 2012!!

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 36 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 26, 2012 3:20:17 PM PST
Inside the new Diamond Edition of Lady and the Tramp, Disney has announced that will release The Rescuers and The Rescuers Down Under as a 2 movie Collection BD set this summer as a 35th Anniversary Edition. No technical specifications or exact date yet but I really hope they restore The Rescuers to pristine condition and put insightful bonus material. I don't like The Rescuers Down Under but at least is not a cheapquel and is part of the Walt Disney Animation Studios canon. I hope they get two separate BD discs like the Fantasia release.

Posted on Feb 16, 2012 12:08:30 PM PST
This bit of news is bittersweet. I'm thrilled that "The Rescuers" is getting a Blu-ray release, but I was keeping my fingers crossed, wishing that the sequel would not be included. Whether it was re-released at all definitely no concern of mine. I'm disappointed because this will likely mean that the new edition will not come packed with bonus material, which is a downright shame because "The Rescuers" had a very complex production stage with tons of material for excellent documentaries: abandoned story concepts, deleted characters, unused song demos, etc. Instead of all this, we'll be forced to buy a set that includes a title I certainly did not want in my collection: "The Rescuers Down Under," possibly the most uninspired Disney film in their entire canon. I honestly don't care if its considered canon or not; insightful bonus material for the original classic film would have been far, far more satisfying than this unwelcome inclusion. The disappointing 2-Movie collection for "The Fox and the Hound" dim my hopes that this will be a stellar release. No Disney film would have half as drastic change following a proper digital restoration than "The Rescuers" would. The print used for the DVD release was long overdue for retirement, so I hope they produce a fresh new copy of the original masters, with the correct colors, the sharp lines and the exposure of artistic quality the film is meant to showcase. We had none of that in the DVD release, which looked murky, grainy, washed-out and just plain unappealing. I seriously hope Disney does a good job in the presentation of the 1977; what they do or don't do with the sequel is no concern of mine.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 16, 2012 3:06:12 PM PST
I agree with you that The Rescuers deserve a stellar treatment. Is a fantastic film. I also don't care too much for The Rescuers Down Under but at least this movie is part of the official Disney Canon and not a cheap sequel like The Fox and the Hound 2 is. So I expect a release similar to the one they did for Fantasia with separate discs, stellar transfers and a good amount of bonus features. Then again, Disney could easily go "The Fox and the Hound" way and that will be a total shame. I guess will have to wait and see...

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 16, 2012 3:10:19 PM PST
Perhaps it was because I wasn't following Disney releases too closely at the time (since I had a full animated classic collection then), but it did seem to me as if "The Fox and the Hound: 2 Movie Collection" was put on the shelves pretty quickly after the '25th Anniversary Edition' DVD was discontinued. In the case of 'The Rescuers,' the DVD has been discontinued since November of 2011, and the release was announced nearly half a year in advance... perhaps they are taking their time with it?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 16, 2012 3:15:19 PM PST
I really hope you're right. After all, The Rescuers is a more popular film than The Fox and the Hound so I hope Disney is producing a great set.

Posted on Feb 16, 2012 3:26:23 PM PST
For one thing, they show a lot more inspiration on the cover. Personally, I had already envisioned a very elaborate "The Rescuers: 2-Disc Diamond Edition" cover art which is very different from the 2-Movie Collection cover, but it's still nice and fresh. After twelve long years of the same boring old since the 1999 VHS release, any change would be welcome.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 18, 2012 7:20:03 AM PST
Yes the cover is a fresh change from the previous cover that has been around forever.

Posted on Feb 18, 2012 7:23:22 AM PST
I was also excited that they are advertising it as a 35th Anniversary edition which might mean that they will produce new bonus material in the same vein as the 60th Anniv. of Alice in Wonderland and the 70th Anniv. of Dumbo. But then again, The Fox and the Hound was advertised as a 30th Anniv. edition and they just included a useless bonus feature. I really hope they do this release justice because the DVD was pretty bad.

Posted on Apr 4, 2012 4:47:24 PM PDT
Apparently, Disney has delayed this release until this fall: They have put the boring Treasure Planet and the awful Home on the Range for summer instead of this set and Pocahontas. I hope they are putting great effort on this set because it will be a total shame to wait that long for a mediocre package.

Posted on Apr 27, 2012 6:47:36 PM PDT
"Treasure Planet" and "Home on the Range" will be quick master-to-Blu-ray releases, they will not go through restoration treatments which is why Disney can release them quicker. "The Rescuers" and a number of others will undergo digital restorations.

In reply to an earlier post on May 4, 2012 9:21:14 PM PDT
I hope a complete restoration and new bonus features because the bonus features of the almost-barebones DVD are a complete dissapointment.

Posted on May 16, 2012 4:17:04 PM PDT
Joy Darling says:
I liked the Rescuers Down Under

Posted on May 25, 2012 12:59:32 PM PDT now lists two releases for "The Rescuers", both 2-disc DVD/Blu-ray combo editions, one in DVD and one in Blu-ray packaging. No mention of it including the sequel. That's GREAT NEWS!!! I'd love a release of "The Rescuers" on its own, because I don't want to pay extra for a film I don't want in my collection.

In reply to an earlier post on May 25, 2012 1:16:33 PM PDT
I wouldn't get too excited. I'm pretty sure both films are going to be released together as a 2-movie collection. That description that Amazon has is probably wrong and as soon as pre-orders are up, they will fix it. Apparently a trailer of this BD set is included in the new Studio Ghibli films that came out this week. I'm expecting Castle in the Sky and The Secret World of Arrietty for next week and as soon as I see the trailer I will post the announced information here.

Posted on May 25, 2012 2:40:32 PM PDT
Oh, I know that. However, if Disney had changed their plans, the trailer listed in the new Ghibli releases would not be altogether proof against it since those discs were produced and completed much earlier, so they would not be 'up-to-date.' I still very much prefer a two-disc edition of the original movie alone, I really, really don't want the sequel.

In reply to an earlier post on May 25, 2012 2:54:03 PM PDT
Me neither and I'll be thrilled if Disney decides to give separate releases for each film but I'm afraid that chances for that to happen are very slim.

Posted on May 28, 2012 1:17:10 PM PDT
So I just watched the trailer included in Castle in the Sky and as expected, it will be a "2-movie collection" that includes both Rescuers films. Unfortunately, for what I gathered they will be both crammed in one BD disc. I could be wrong (and I hope I am) but it seems that this release will be exactly like the one they did for The Fox and the Hound (but I hope the transfer for the first film will be stunning)

Posted on May 28, 2012 2:01:48 PM PDT
Yes, I saw that same trailer. But like I said, those discs were already 'old' when they were released. Amazon's product page may be reflecting a change in the press release. If the title "The Rescuers" were inclusive (like for 'The Princess Diaries') implying both films under one title, it would still make sense for them to call it a '3-disc' as opposed to '2-disc', since that release would be one Blu-ray and 2 DVDs.

In reply to an earlier post on May 29, 2012 4:45:01 PM PDT
I really hope you're right, and I hope Disney announce this title soon so we know the release date and how it is going to be released so we can stop speculating about it.

Posted on May 29, 2012 4:53:01 PM PDT
Also, was it just me or the images from the first film in the trailer looked bad? You know, like the old DVD? I hope that is not how the final product will look like.

Posted on May 30, 2012 4:25:29 PM PDT
By all means, that's the same print used on the 1998 VHS and the 2003 DVD, but then again, Disney rarely uses the remastered/restored material on their 'upcoming' trailers, not even for their Platinum Edition trailers (the Diamond Edition trailers used the print from the 'Platinum Edition' prints, so naturally they look good. This is definitely the old print clumsily updated to HD. For a true representation of what the color palette from the film should look like, I recommend viewing color publicity material from 1977 or clips extracted from 'fresher' copies of the master way back, such as this:

In reply to an earlier post on May 31, 2012 10:51:18 AM PDT
Unfortunately, Amazon has fixed the link for the BD and now it has the official cover art and is listed as a three-disc special edition and The Rescuers Down Under is included and both films are going to be on one BD. That's sad, I only hope the transfer for the first film to be excellent.

Posted on May 31, 2012 11:18:32 AM PDT
Yes, I saw. I also noticed that they altered the cover slightly in an attempt to 'improve it,' but no doubt Miss Bianca looked much lovelier in the earlier design. Anyway, I'm still willing to forgive Disney for forcing me to buy a God-forsaken sequel I do not want if they do a nice job with the transfer of the original film, and if they make the effort to make a new copy of the master and thrash the older one. Did you view that YouTube link I posted earlier? The movie should have looked closer to that (in DVD quality of course) for its DVD debut. I have high expectations for the Blu-ray release, but I'm lowering them as time goes by.

In reply to an earlier post on May 31, 2012 11:59:33 AM PDT
I just saw it and that looks so much better than the horrible DVD. I still have hopes that the PQ/AQ of the first film are going to be good. A member posted on the forum that he recently saw the film in a movie theater and that it "was clean and clear" all the way through. That gives me hope. I also hope the colors are well reproduced too.

Posted on May 31, 2012 2:09:30 PM PDT
But then again, if you read through reviews for the 2003 DVD, some reviewers have stated, "the movie arrives looking fresh, if not totally clean" (people, please...)
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  The Rescuers forum
Participants:  3
Total posts:  36
Initial post:  Jan 26, 2012
Latest post:  Jun 28, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
(Unknown Binding)
4.6 out of 5 stars (222)