Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Command and Conquer The Ultimate Collection [Online Game Code]
Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo

on December 9, 2012
First of all, let's just get the value out of the way. 17 games for standard retail price is fantastic. Sure some of the earliest games are available for free online anyway but honestly, those aren't the best reason for buying this package anyway.

In today's world, Real-Time Strategy games are certainly less prominent than they were 10 years ago but the one's we have are phenomenal. In comparison, some of the older Command and Conquer titles feel dated. The single mouse button system, the poor graphics which make it difficult to tell what units you're moving and the lack of any type of tutorial or unit descriptions. All of these are artifacts of a previous age of gaming. Still, since the original Command and Conquer is one of the earliest RTS games, it can be a fantastic reminder at how far the genre has come.

Even though the gameplay for these early games can feel ancient, the storylines are still phenomenal. The Tiberium Wars with their science fiction take on the future of our world, the Red Alert games with a more light-hearted campy look at how our world could have looked and the Generals series with a more modern warfare take on the series. For some, the storylines will make the older games worth playing through even without the nostalgia factor for long-time fans of the series.

The real reason to buy this game is for the newer titles in the Command and Conquer series. Red Alert 3, Generals and Command and Conquer 3 are the stand-out titles in this collection and make the whole thing worth buying. For anyone looking for great RTS games, these three plus their expansions are each easily worth the price of admission.

There are a few downsides to this collection though. The first and most upsetting problem is that none of these games are available on disk. In fact, this is really just a code making the games available through Origin, EA's download service. As far as I can tell, you don't have to remain online once the games are downloaded but I haven't spent much time offline gaming. This could be a serious problem though for those who may not have reliable internet access or aren't fans of Origin. The second problem is that some of the older games took some serious troubleshooting before they would work on my 64-bit Windows 7 OS. Every game from Red Alert 2 on worked without any problems and Tiberium Dawn worked fine but the others took some work and EA's tech support required several emails before they could solve the problem. Still, I did manage to get every game on the collection to work eventually. Last, Command and Conquer 4 is certainly a low point of the series and it can act as a painful reminder as to why they haven't made a C&C game for quite some time since then.

This generation has had some great value packs and this is no exception. If you are a fan of Command and Conquer or RTS games in general, this collection has some great selections. It does have its drawbacks but if you can look past those and are willing to put a little work into making a few of the older games work, it's a wonderful series and this complete collection of all 17 games can provide a lot of fun. As an added bonus, buying this collection will give you early access to the beta of the new Free-to-Play Command and Conquer when it is released.
88 comments| 118 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 25, 2013
The games themselves are all great. I've played all of them, but have since then either lost all the discs or the keys and honestly this was only $5 so it's more worth my time just to flat out buy it then dig through crap.

The real issue with this is the compatibility issues with modern machines (resolution, windows 7 compatibility issues, etc.). Let me get this out of the way: yes, I understand there are workarounds, but being that I'm a software developer, I have a low tolerance for people shipping out fault products that should be a relatively quick and easy fix for the developers and or EA (since they now own the series and sell it via Origin).

If something like this is going to be sold and advertised to run on windows 7 and used on something as modern as Origin, it should be working. Users should not have to be jumping through hoops to get it working. This is a clear cut case of the horrid customer support by EA (again, they own the series and sell it, it's their responsibility to make it work).
55 comments| 237 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 4, 2013
My childhood through teen years and now were always filled with Command and Conquer games. These RTSs were what really got me into PC gaming and even to this day they're still a lot of fun. It's awesome to have these games all in one place now. Having to use Origin really isn't that big of a deal because you can play the games even if you go to offline mode. It's actually nice because it syncs your saved games to the cloud so if you spend a lot of time away from home playing on separate computers you don't have to start over. All games are great, but see the one issue I have below.

So the reason I docked it one star is because of the fact that not all games quite work on all Windows 7 systems, but with some tweaks I was able to make it work. On my home gaming computer all games work fine without any needs for tweaks. However, if the odd resolutions bug you, you can go into the .ini files for Red Alert II, Tiberian Sun, Renegade (which can be found at /Program Files(x86)/Origin Games/**CNC Game Name**), Generals (found at Documents/Command and Conquer Generals) and change the files manually to a custom resolution (ex: 1920 1080). If you're unfamiliar with this, google "changing .ini files". Red Alert III and Tiberian Twilight are changeable to modern resolutions so this isn't necessary.

For those of you out there using laptops with Nvidia Optimus technology (changes between integrated and the Nvidia card to save power) here is how I made Tiberian Sun and Red Alert II work. I couldn't get either to work on my Alienware m11x R2. After lots of research and troubleshooting I found that going into the Nvidia settings and go to "Manage 3D Settings" and finding the games and forcing it to use the Integrated Graphics instead of the Nvidia card. Then go to your Intel settings, go to "Power" then change it to "Maximum Performance". Do this for both Red Alert II and Tiberian Sun, and if that doesn't work add the .exe files manually from the game folders and change it to only use Integrated Graphics. I just felt like this is a common issue so I wanted to share so others don't have to waste hours trying to fix it. Hope this helps!
22 comments| 61 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 27, 2014
I am an old fan of the original C&C series, and purchased this thinking that they may have updated the games to run on modern systems. I was wrong. Command and Conquer 3 and 4 work correctly, but I have tried the first Command and Conquer, as well as Tiberian Sun with no luck, they will not run at all, even under compatibility mode and with other tricks that I use on a lot of old games to get them working. This isn't really a surprise coming from EA, non working titles are their specialty, and there is nothing different about that here.
on April 1, 2014
I couldn't get most of the games to work on windows 8, tried everything people said on the internet. When i finally got tiberian sun to run, it ran at like 500% speed and the computer killed me in like 10 seconds.
on February 27, 2015
What a rippoff! It doesn't work on Windows 8 at all.

When I attempt to play Red Alert 2, it shows me a launcher asking me which version(original or Yuri's revenge) I want to play then no matter what it shows me a scrolling credits screen followed the program closing itself and going back to the launcher.

I seriously hate EA. Such a horrid company.

I'd give this less than 1 star if it let me.
on January 12, 2013
I would like to preamble this review with a disclaimer: I had never been a huge fan of C&C. I always preferred Age of Empires, Total Annihilation, Dark Reign, or Heroes of Might and Magic, although many of my friends kept on raving about the great C&C games. Turns out, I may have missed out back then.

Since great RTS games have become rare when compared to the mid 90s to early 2000s, I have been looking to relive some of the glory days of RTS, by buying games that I never got around to playing. I picked this up when it was on the $29.99 sale ($49.99 seems extremely steep and the games can be found cheaper in other places, just as previous reviewers have noted). The installation was easy. I had no issues with Windows 7 64-bit (applying admin mode and XP compatibility or 95 compatibility should have been included in the setup routine, but it's easy enough to do yourself). I have not gotten around to all of the games yet, but here are my impressions so far:

Command and Conquer: One of the grandfathers of modern RTS games, this game is really more of a historic perspective to me than an easily enjoyable game. I played Dune II back in the day and this really reminded me of those days. The lack of comfort functions (assigning groups, scroll wheel, production queue, etc.) made it hard to get into the game, a lack of unit descriptions made it difficult to stay motivated, but amazingly enough I played through most of the GDI campaign. Of special note, the video sequences were already high class material.

Command and Conquer Red Alert: Obviously another nostalgic highlight, but luckily with more modern game-play options. You can assign groups and queue commands - a big step up and a large step in RTS history. The story is fantastic, the units are sometimes hilarious in their effect, and I just love the crazy scenario. More terrific video sequences that really keep the C&C feeling going.

Command and Conquer Tiberian Sun: This one I had played back in the day, although I never owned the Firestorm Add-on. It is the second game in the GDI/NOD story, and quite fun in LAN games (though you need to find yourself a fix on Google to get a network game to work on modern systems...). I am aware that the critical reviews did not like this particular game as much, but looking back now, this is the first game with halfway enjoyable graphics, even better video work (James Earl Jones!), and once more a great story.

Command and Conquer Generals: I used to play it at my friend's house and I was really excited to finally own this game. The game moves away from the classic C&C interface and uses a fresh new scenario, along with more classical RTS controls. It might not be a traditional C&C game, but it is still one of the best RTS games ever. Graphics are obviously not the top of the line, but can still hold their own today. The story is not bad with some morally disturbing missions (GLA campaign...). This game, however, truly excels in the multiplayer arena. With patches, the balance between factions is great, and there is still a good amount of people out there who play this RTS classic. So far the highlight of my experience.

I have not touched the other games just yet (a lot of game play in this box), but in general I am very happy with the buy. It gave me the opportunity to witness some truly great games that I had missed - looking back, I should have given C&C more of a chance.

Why not five stars? Not all the newest patches are included (Google helps, as always) and the games could have been updated by EA to be able to setup network play on modern systems. Very sad that Westwood is not in charge anymore of this series.
on December 31, 2014
1/2 of the games don't work properly on Windows 8.1. Yuri's Revenge, Renegade, C&C 4... They all freeze at start-up of matches, at best, or they simply refuse to get past the initial loading screen. Brand new laptop...

I used to love these games.
on February 5, 2013
I remember back when I was poor and pirated games, there were two franchises that stood out in my mind. The two franchises that stood out were Call of Duty 4:Modern Warfare,and Red Alert 3 + Uprising. I played the heck out of those two games, playing and replaying over and over again. It kept me busy when I should've been doing my homework for Middle and High School. I regret spending all that time playing games when I should have been studying for school, but when I nuke another base with my Proton Collider, I feel all is good.

These games are fun to the next degree. Not only will you be entranced by how fun these are, but by how endless it can be. The skirmishes introduces hundreds of hours of extra fun, while the Commander Challenge will give you an added "campaign".

The only problem I see about this is that this is for Origin. If this was for Steam, I would've paid the full $30 for it...

Would I recommend these games to a friend? YES

Would I recommend this package that only works with Origin? Not so much...
on September 2, 2014
games will not down load. plus you can't return it. I guess that why it is so cheap. oh and way to go amazon it should at least say non returnable along with the price. to bad it did not. oh well, bet you got your cut.