5.0 out of 5 stars work great
Published on September 16, 2007 by Becky

1.0 out of 5 stars Used to work great, not anymore....
I don't know if there was a change in the manufacturing process or what but after a move we purchased more of these since they worked so well in our old home.

We followed the directions to the letter. Cleaned the walls, cleaned again with alcohol, etc.

We even used anchors with a much higher weight limit than the items we were hanging them on...
Published on October 28, 2011 by A. Cincotti

5.0 out of 5 stars work great, September 16, 2007
This review is from: Command Utility Hook, Large, 5-Pound Capacity (Tools & Home Improvement)
I have used many different command hooks and all of them work perfectly. If installed correctly I have never had one come down, even when hanging more than the recommended weight on them. I have them on painted surfaces and on the backs of doors. I even hang my heavy full length terry cloth robe on it when it is wet after a shower. I know it weighs more than the 7.5.lbs for the jumbo hook. I think that the key is to put the adhesive strip on as directed and then hold it in place firmly for at least a minute. Then do not hang anything on it until the next day. I have had some of these hooks up for years and have never had a problem.

1.0 out of 5 stars Used to work great, not anymore...., October 28, 2011

First thing that fell was a small clock, hung on the large hook. Damaged it but we were able to repair it with epoxy and it didn't look too bad (Was annoying though as it was a brand new clock with pendulum that we spent about $50.00 on

We thought to ourselves, "It must be a fluke, or maybe we did something wrong" since we used them before to hang EVERYTHING in our other home and they were still firmly affixed when we moved.

2 days later a hand made Aztec calender we purchased on our honeymoon at a little roadside stand in the middle of the Yucatan rain forest fell. It landed on our end table, damaging the table and completely shattering this irreplaceable memento.

We were shattered as well.

We immediately removed our only other honeymoon wall hanging object, a Mayan Calender carved in bone from the other hook. I am just glad nobody was sitting underneath the Aztec one when it fell because it could have caused serious injury.

5 minutes ago a decorative tile (weighing in at a huge 2 1/2 ounces) just fell in the kitchen. (I forgot about that one being on the 3M strips) and also shattered. (we have tile floors so it didn't stand a chance). I immediately took down the other 4 and it was a good thing I did. The strips came away from the wall with ease (except for one small spot which actually took off the paint) and had less tacky of a feel than Scotch tape does!

I am now furious. I swore by 3M products for years and recommended them to all my friends and Clients (I am a Realtor®) I hope it doesn't damage anything of theirs, and my reputation, so I am going to have to contact everyone I recommended them to and ask them to remove them.

For the price of these hangers they should function as specified. I don't know if the failure is due to a change in environment (We used them successfully in the dry desert climate of Nevada and now live in humid Florida) and I don't care. They should test their products in all climates.

If you have ANY attachment to the items you are considering hanging these on, then don't do it. You will regret it. I would much rather patch small holes and touch up the paint then lose valuable items (and memories) to these inconsistently effective products.

Anthony

5.0 out of 5 stars The only stick-em that really holds on, March 30, 2008
MoxieMozo (KETCHUM, IDAHO United States) - See all my reviews
The sticky strips that come with these hooks really hold on, and then remove easily and cleanly if you need them to. I have bought quite a few Command Hooks because they have the ONLY self-adhesive strips that have never failed me, unlike the foam-backed ones that ALWAYS fail, eventually.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product!, August 1, 2008
S. Ferguson (Indianapolis, IN United States) - See all my reviews
I have used these for years, and many of the hooks lasted that long! They have never damaged the wall when removed. The only time one damaged a wall was when I seriously overloaded the hook, it pulled the layer of paper off of the drywall. They didn't work on a wall with a glazed faux finish, but they have held on every other wall except a tile one behind the stove. (I think the heat did them in.) Try the other Command Adhesive products, too -- especially the Velcro picture hangers.

3.0 out of 5 stars Watch The Weight Limitation.., November 17, 2012
These 3M Command Large Hooks attach to your wall or other surfaces using a double sided tape strip. They adhere pretty good and work sufficiently at holding light duty items like a bathrobe, a light jacket or such. According to the package you should wait for one hour before use. These hooks will support up to 5 Lb or 2 Kg but I wouldn't advise hanging anything heavier because it will end up on the floor, possibly shattering anything in it's path.

Please rate this review if you found it helpful.

2.0 out of 5 stars Adhesive fails and hooks break under moderate load..., June 21, 2005
I thought Command Adhesive hooks were a great idea. But after they fall off the wall a few times and the hooks that do stay up break, you go back to less expensive and more dependable methods.

4.0 out of 5 stars Handy problem-solvers, September 9, 2007
While the hooks are moderately easy-to-break and rarely last much more than a year under ordinary use, they're so easy to mount -- and, with the no-damage adhesive, mountable anywhere -- that these hooks make it simple to hang up what should be hung up. I use them frequently and hang up a lot of stuff that I wouldn't if it took actual effort and put a hole in the wall.

2.0 out of 5 stars Will fail after a few years., September 10, 2007
I had two of these fail on me after about two years. The sticker didn't fail. The problem was that the paint and plaster peel off after months of stress. So now my walls have these big 3 inch scrapes where the plaster peeled off. Much worse than having a nail hole. The smaller hooks though, are still holding up well. I wouldn't recommend hanging anything more than 3 pounds off of these for more than a year.

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't go wrong with these., July 15, 2014
I travel with my husband and live in temporary apartments very frequently and I love all the command products.

5.0 out of 5 stars Holds some weight, July 7, 2014
I needed a hook to hang a painting shirt on in my studio and the place I had to hang it on was a cabinet I didn't want to drill on - Command came in handy and this heavy duty hook does the trick. I wanted the stronger one so I could throw a towel or my jacket on there too and not worry about they hitting the floor. Good stuff.

Command Utility Hook, Large, 5-Pound Capacity