Facility Spring Cleaning Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Blue October Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Gifts for Mom to look and feel great Made in Italy Shop now Amazon Gift Card Offer out2 out2 out2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Spring Arrivals in Outdoor Clothing SnS

Comments about the Vita's control layout

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-9 of 9 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 23, 2012 7:54:44 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 23, 2012 7:55:04 AM PST
Mike Snyder says:
Uncharted is the first Vita game I've tried, and so far, I'm finding it pretty difficult. Not the game; I've barely started. The controls of the Vita. The buttons seem tiny, and for some reason I keep wanting to click the right thumbstick rather than the X button for certain actions. I think maybe it's because the face buttons are directly above it, whereas on a PS3 controller there up and more to the right (plus bigger -- and I'm an adult). Plus, switching from control to touch seems awkward - I have to reorient myself every time there's a fight finishing action to do.

Has anybody had the same difficulty with the vita's controls? Does it get easier or more intuitive over time? I assume so, but I'm starting to regret being an early adopter.

Posted on Feb 23, 2012 8:27:56 AM PST
Well I haven't gotten too down and dirty as far as heavy gaming on it, however I can somewhat agree it can resources at times. But I think really that just has to deal more of the overall learning curve of the control schemes of a new system than anything else. Many game sites have said as much, but they've also said it becomes more natural to you once you get the hang of it.

Why in the world would you "regret being an early adopter" based on not being adjusted to controls when you've barely had for a day?

Posted on Feb 23, 2012 11:11:32 AM PST
Mike Snyder says:
Because it was $250 -- plus memory card and case and games. If I'm not going to enjoy using it, I might have waited to find out opinions about the controls, or until a hypothetical redesign. As it is, if I'm going to have trouble using it, I'm probably not going to play it, and that's wasted money. :-/

Posted on Feb 23, 2012 11:36:44 AM PST
ZeroX-2000 says:
Sorry you have been having issues. I personally love the controls and haven't had the same issues, though I have pretty small hands for an adult. I can imagine someone with large hands having the problem your mentioned. I have read comments from other users with large hands who love the controls though, it just takes a little warming up. Most people seem to feel fully comfortable after 2-3hrs of gaming time.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 24, 2012 12:20:52 PM PST
It took me a while to get used to how close the right analog stick is to the X button. After the first week of owning the Vita I have grown accustomed to the button placement, and I find it much easier to use now.

I am 2/3 of the way through the chapters in Golden Abyss, and I still have a tough time with the finer aiming in that particular game. It might be the fact that I'm trying to aim with analogs, and the Vita's motion system is toying with my aim. I need to try turning the motion aiming off. I played the Unit 13 demo, and I had no issues at all with aiming at enemies. So I think it's all a control setting within Uncharted that's messing me up.

Posted on Feb 24, 2012 6:36:21 PM PST
T. Lamkin says:
You will get used to the controls, trust me. At first, I didn't think I would. Now, just a couple days later, I'm loving it.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 25, 2012 7:59:22 AM PST
WolfPup says:
I was surprised by the button sizes too. PSP has basically full sized buttons, which is really nice, but Vita, I assume to keep the overall unit size down doesn't. 3DS has really cramped controls too.

I assume I'd be okay with it if I were investing in Vita though.

Posted on Feb 25, 2012 8:56:16 AM PST
D. Brady says:
I have big hands and am 25, and I haven't had too many issues. If you're playing a game that is super sensitive to te rear touchpad, it can get kind of annoying, but otherwise no issues for me. the buttons are small, but its fine I think. I've gotten used to it. Just the rear touchpad when playing a game like FIFA and then the proximity of the X button to the right analog are the only issues I think, but I've gotten used to them.

Posted on Feb 25, 2012 7:54:39 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 25, 2012 8:01:39 PM PST
Austin Akens says:
Yea, I've had trouble trying to hit "X" and I push the right stick up instead. It got annoying looking up and not jumping, but I eventually adapted to it. The buttons are unusually small, even compared to the PSP. I still think the Vita is uncomfortable to hold sometimes. I don't have the biggest hands, but sometimes trying to "examine" objects, I can't keep my fingers off the back without holding my Vita awkwardly. Holding the Vita is awkward anyway, especially with the "touch" options that appear during fights, like you mentioned above.

I'll adjust to it though, I favor my 360 controller (size and stick position) over my PS3's, the PS3's is smaller. Something about the PS3's analog sticks are just too close together. Something I like about the Vita, the screen separates the sticks. I adjusted quickly when switching controllers, and now it doesn't phase me. Except when my thumbs rub together when playing my PS3. Now if the sticks on Vita were set up like the 360's I'd be more comfortable playing with it. Although, I can't count on that, since Sony has used their stick layout since the PS1.

Unlike the Vita, the PS3 has aftermarket 360-like controllers. I have to learn to deal with the Vita I guess. It isn't the worst, I just wish Sony made the sticks a bit larger and spaced the buttons a little further from the sticks .

I'm hoping future games will address and touch up on the controls. Hopefully new games like Call of Duty will make aiming more precise and controls comfortable. I'm on chapter 23 of Uncharted, I don't know how much further I have; but I've seemed to adjust decent, to say the least. Maybe the more I play with it, it will become second nature.

I wouldn't suggest quitting using the system or game entirely over the setup. It probably just takes a little time to get used too. Patience is key.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  8
Total posts:  9
Initial post:  Feb 23, 2012
Latest post:  Feb 25, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Uncharted: Golden Abyss - PlayStation Vita
Uncharted: Golden Abyss - PlayStation Vita by Sony Computer Entertainment (PlayStation Vita)
4.6 out of 5 stars (408)