Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-13 of 13 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 14, 2007 11:21:25 AM PDT
billymac72 says:
Does anyone know if they're included this time? These are the placards that went between the commercial breaks, usually featuring some great photos of the guest host. They left them off last time.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 14, 2007 8:39:11 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 15, 2007 4:32:36 AM PDT
A Fan says:
I don't know but I am also really hoping they are included this time. It was definitely a huge mistake cutting them out from the season one set and their absence was very noticeable.

Instead of including all of that classic photography we instead got episodes that were made to look like they were only 66 minutes in length by using phoney continuous audience applause for every commercial break. Hopefully season two episodes are presented in their true 90 minute format minus the commercials.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 18, 2007 1:36:28 PM PDT
I'd like to see the "Return of the Bumpers!"
S. Free

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 21, 2007 12:11:59 PM PDT
billymac72 says:
I'm glad to see at least that I'm not the only one who wants to see them included!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 30, 2007 8:16:03 AM PDT
Absolutely agreed. I rented but didn't purchase the first season set because of this reason. I wrote a polite letter to Broadway Video expressing my views, hopefully they've learned and are presenting season 2 as truly complete. It was hard to resist buying the first season when the price recently dropped to $30, but I'd rather not say "I approve of this butchery" with my dollars, than have a cool-looking but flawed package on my shelf. Admittedly, it'd be nice to have clean copies of the classic episodes, but I can't watch them because I don't like the absence of bumper art (Broadway Video said they didn't consider them a "real part of the show," for christ's sake!) and the "continuous performance" applause editing mentioned earlier.

There's also stuff removed, mostly repeat commercial parodies, which undermines the original presentation. Watching the set as a newbie, you'd be liable to think the show never repeated bits back then. They repeated all the time. Look at a chapter list of the running times of each episode, they vary wildly due to cuts and bumper editing. I know it's fun as a hobby to edit commercials out and make it look like a continuous show, but it's not the show people have grown up on and watched for years. It's more than just the art, it's the feel and pacing of the show. If it was just about the art, I would say "Put a DVD-ROM extra of hi-res scans of the bumpers."

Alright, I've ranted enough. I hope reviews of this set note the bumper/editing situation, and I hope it's improved. If not, I hope reviewers take a more solid stance on it. The first season, several high-profile sites noted the editing but shrugged it off as not a big deal.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 30, 2007 9:50:56 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 30, 2007 9:53:07 AM PDT
billymac72 says:
Definitely. It may not be just about the art, but those photos (the photographer's name escapes me at the moment) are part of the iconic look of the show then (usually b&w photos enhanced by, I think, pastels). As a viewer then, the bumpers were almost like a clock because you could hear the piano cue towards the end of the show (even in bumpers that ran between double ad breaks), cast members/audience talking, and in some cases (such as with Ray Charles & Frank Zappa, I believe) continuous music performances. Some hosts' were quite whimsical, as with Eric Idle, whose bumpers featured the comedian gradually stripping off all his clothes! All this helped enhance the live, anything-could-happen aspect of the program.

One deletion many of you may have forgotten was Don Pardo's announcement that "all guests of Saturday Night Live stay at the Essex House overlooking downtown Central Park" with accompanying photo.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 30, 2007 10:24:57 AM PDT
Her name is Edie Baskin, and she's amazing. I also remember the promotional announcements, but I admit I expect them to be cut, for the same reason commercials are. They're almost always cut from repeats, so it's a gray area. It's one thing to remove a billboard (the industry term for those sorts of "in-show" promotional consideration announcements,) it's another entirely to re-cut the show and remove art that is certainly a legitimate part of it, and to remove commercial parodies et al.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 22, 2007 9:17:14 AM PST
TV Newsman says:
I got the advanced copy "for review purposes only" from Broadway Video two days ago. And I'm sorry to say that the commercial bumpers are NOT INCLUDED in SNL Second Season Box Set.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 22, 2007 10:24:45 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 22, 2007 10:27:38 AM PST
That's so great I am thrilled, it's good to hear that Lorne is listening to us. I'm so happy I can buy this.

...:(

Hey, I have a question: Does the Candice Bergen/Frank Zappa Christmas episode feature the full, uncut skating rink goodnights in this set? When it was broadcast, there was a lot of time left at the end of the show, and the goodnights went very long, long enough for the entire closing theme to be heard. At least tell me that that hasn't been messed with in this set.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 23, 2007 9:50:39 PM PST
TV Newsman says:
I do know the Karen Black episode doesn't have the LIVE "goodbye" close at the end. What BV did was re-created a credit close with stills from the show open.

Yes, the Candice Bergen/Frank Zappa Christmas episode DOES HAVE the full, uncut skating rink goodnight in this set.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2007 8:41:09 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Dec 19, 2007 8:41:46 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2007 8:42:18 PM PST
Any idea why the Karen Black episode's goodbye close was cut? The episode originally had John Belushi singing "One More For the Road" as a list of his thefts on the SNL set scrolled by. Did the episode run out of time before the credits could roll? Just wondering why a seemingly funny part was cut.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2007 8:54:48 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 19, 2007 9:01:36 PM PST
Either BV, somehow, couldn't get clearance for a damned standard, or more likely, like with last year, they used a rerun tape instead of the original live broadcast.

Why is getting these sets right so difficult for Broadway Video? Is it that difficult to just

1. grab original live broadcast tape from shelf
2. transfer it to DVD

?

They did this last year and now this year, randomly using rerun versions, parts from dress, cutting bits out left and right in a "complete" set. Lackies, a decade ago, were able to competently make bootleg tapes of shows from the archives, yet the official source can't seem to get the knack.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  6
Total posts:  13
Initial post:  Sep 14, 2007
Latest post:  Dec 19, 2007

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Saturday Night Live: Season 2, 1976-1977
Saturday Night Live: Season 2, 1976-1977 by Bill Murray (DVD - 2007)
4.4 out of 5 stars   (118)