Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Common Courtesy [Explicit]
Safety Month Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Songs of Summer The best from Bose just got wireless Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

on November 25, 2013
In an interview with the frontman of ADTR Jeremy McKinnon, he said that one of his goals with writing albums is to make sure that every song is able to be listened to without skipping a track. With the band's previous releases, there have been some tracks that I found necessary to skip. With this album, however. the game has TOTALLY changed.
After a dispute with Victory Records, ADTR were not sure if they were going to be able to release this album. There were a series of court proceedings, and after all was said and done, ADTR won the case. Jeremy built a studio in his house, and boom. The recording began. It took three years and nine days before this CD was available for us to purchase physically, and fortunately, the wait was worth it.
This is the best album ADTR have ever put out, hands down. There is literally something for everyone on this album, whether or not you're a fan of A Day to Remember or not. "City of Ocala" is a fast punk-rock song that will show inspiration from New Found Glory and other acts alike, while songs such as "Sometimes You're the Hammer, Sometimes You're the Nail", "Violence (Enough is Enough), and "Life Lessons Learned the Hard Way" show how this band can perfectly move from a punk rock song to a hardcore one like it's nothing. In fact, there are songs on this album that are nothing like another song in the band's catalog; "End of Me" is a near power ballad, and "I'm Already Gone" is reminiscent of "You Had Me at Hello", proving th./786at this band can literally do anything it wants in terms of sound. The songs have also become more complex; instead of just a breakdown and chorus, there are now songs that have bridges in them, as well as other added musical parts. "City of Ocala" has a bridge in which Jeremy sings "This is where I came from; I'm right back at it again", while the band sings with him in a series of "Whoa-oh's" that are nothing like I have ever heard before. Another example of this is in "Sometimes You're the Hammer", in which there is a soft drum beat, a few guitar chords, and then Jeremy singing "I want to be a better person, I wanna know the master plan; cast your stones, cast your judgement, you don't make me who I am". The band then goes from just the few drum beats to a full band once more in a transition that I would compare to Underoath's "It's Dangerous Business Walking Out Your Front Door."
All in all, this album is FAR more complex and powerful than any other release from A Day To Remember. The lyrics are meaningful and express love, hatred, and anger, and the instrumentals are either soft enough to lullaby you to sleep or heavy enough to make you headbang to this album for eternity. Do yourself a favor; go pick up this album. It is HANDS DOWN the best release of 2013.
on March 17, 2016
This is the best music I've heard in a while. I have very eclectic taste in music but my true love lies in metal and rock. This album has a great variance of music on it and I really love many of the songs and can't stop listening to them. I bought on CD and on vinyl. My favorite songs on the album are the following:
City of Ocala - Possibly my favorite song right now
Right back at it Again
Sometimes your the hammer, Sometimes your the nail
Best of Me - Great song!
I'm already Gone - Another favorite - great acoustic song.
End of Me - Great song
So many great songs.

There are no bad songs on the album. Some metal, some rock, some punkish - All great! Some remind me a little of Bloodsimple others of Sum41 but also unique in their own way. Very catchy CD.

Thank you ADTR for a great album! Nice to hear quality bands from FL.
on January 16, 2014
That is the best way I can summarize if it had to be in one word. I think it is their best album EVER! The metalcore parts are EPIC; heavier, more intense breakdowns and growling vocals. ("Sometimes You're the Hammer, Sometimes You're the Nail" & "Violence"!) Their Pop-punk tracks are endearing and as energetic as before. (especially on "I Surrender" & "End of Me"!) I don't know what else I have to say! If you're a fan of the band, a fan of metalcore, a fan of pop-punk, a fan of both, JUST BUY IT.
From what I've interpreted from the album name and songs, this is an ode to everyone who was and has been there for ADTR. It is simply a "Common Courtesy" for the band to tell them 'thank you' if they hadn't done it enough.
This album came out close to the end of 2013 and it surpassed all of the favorites that I had up until then!

I almost forgot to mention my favorite tracks off the album! Definitely "City of Ocala", "Right Back at It Again", "Sometimes You're the Hammer, Sometimes You're the Nail", "Best of Me", "Violence (Enough is Enough)", "I Surrender",and "End of Me".
on January 10, 2014
Common Courtesy sounded like a step back towards their earlier releases with a little more pop. This is by no means a step backwards for the band, just a slightly more familiar sound. They got super aggressive in their last release and lost that little bit of a punk edge (which wasn't bad, just not their norm). While not quite as fun as Home Sick or For Those Who Have Heart and not as aggressive as What Separates Me From You, it finds a nice balance in the middle.

The lyrics though, are starting to get a little tired for me. I really enjoyed their middle finger to the industry type attitude in their For Those Who Have Heart and Home Sick albums, but it is getting a little old. This is their what.. 4th? 5th? release. You made it. We get that when you started, things were hard. It was funny to hear that you ran your van for a year straight, but as a band, it is time to move on. You're no longer the underdog and the industry isn't out to get you anymore than any other band. Get back to the fun/funny stuff, or get aggressive and push forward, but stop... stop telling me about where you came from.

The music was pretty in line with earlier albums with an odd standout for me being "End Of Me." This song was not really what I was expecting from A Day To Remember; it was slow, atmospheric, but with a hook. I can't explain any further why this song delivered so well for me, but it did. Definitely not a typical riff from this band. I hope, though, that they do not make more in this vein.

While the lyrics got in the way a bit for me, my overall impression is good, though I miss their earlier sound. I understand that people think bands must change to stay relevant, but my counter point is that I buy a band for their sound. Their sound is what gives them a name and what causes me to continue to look for them in the new release section. When the sound changes, they tamper with the thing that made me like them to begin with. This release is walking a line between being good and falling into the generic metalcore album void.
22 comments|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 9, 2014
I am new to this group, with "Right Back At It Again" being the song that grabbed me. This is a CD of hard, fast, and really well structured songs. I really like it. Common Courtesy feel like a softer version of Slipknot, with a lighter tone, and an emphasis on fun. Highly recommended.
on March 19, 2014
Been a fan of this band since their early releases. I was bummed about the delay after their initial single was released almost two years ago but it was worth the wait. I was excited that the cd version would contain 16 tracks and over an hour of music, something that is rare to see in music today. There is a great mix of heavy and light tracks, I felt each track had its own unique feel to it and it did not feel like one long song. Jeremy's vocals have never been better and he seems to improve with every new cd. I would have loved some more screaming parts but im biased toward the heavier songs. If you're on the fence about this one, I would definitely recommend it, especially for the price which includes a bonus DVD.

Glad to see this cd released and I look forward to more from the band in the future.
on February 25, 2016
I was introduced to this band by some friends during the end of my high school career and at the time, was quick to embrace a few songs from this album including tracks from their previous records. Two years later subsequent to delving into various progressive metal, djent, technical death metal bands, I predetermined a band like A Day To Remember would register as mediocre to my evolved taste in music. I was wrong and so glad to be wrong. I gave this entire album a listen and found it to be refreshing for me personally after discovering a plethora of modern day metal music. This band has that timeless sound with melody and interpretive lyrics that nearly any metal enthusiast can at least appreciate somewhere. Throughout this album like previous ones, there is a major tonality in harmonies that seem to exemplify that signature happy and bright sound ADTR has published in many of their songs while keeping the theme diverse with hard hitting breakdowns timed ever so appropriately, earning them the "easycore" genre. There are also a few soft spots here and there, specifically an entire track titled, "I'm Already Gone" is primarily acoustic if I recall correctly. As a musician, I can appreciate the remarkable dynamism in all songs. I would not be capable of skipping one track, which I believe was one of the end goals for this band as a whole during this album's production. I'm glad these guys got the recognition they did over the years, they deserve it. Will probably purchase the entire discography soon.
on March 4, 2014
Its amazing - this band gets better by the album. Another great one. The range these guys have is not something you find these days. The way they convert from mellow to aggressive (and vice versa) is amazing. From sad to fun. Its honestly an album that you put in and don't take out for months. Not a song that wont cover your mood.
on February 24, 2014
I have liked ADTR since they came out, and love all the other CDs but this might be my Fav! The heavy songs rock and some of the slower/chill songs are great. A must have if you are an ADTR fan or just like rock and looking for something different.
on January 16, 2014
This is an amazing CD by ADTR and if you haven't already read all the other reviews about this and wonder whether or not to buy it, I would highly recommend it. If you love this band you should support them by purchasing their CD. To me, it is a mix between their Homesick album and the What Separates Me From You album with some soft and hard vocal songs.