5.0 out of 5 stars Jack Bogle continues to give ordinary investors "a fair shake."
I read Jack Bogle's first book, "Bogle on Mutual Funds" in 1994. It changed my investing life forever--and for the better. We often say: "We live in the house that Jack Built."

I have read all of Mr. Bogle's books and learned from every one. He is a gifted writer with an unequaled background in investing. Fortune magazine designated him as one of the...
Published on December 5, 2009 by Taylor Larimore

3.0 out of 5 stars Sometimes less is more
Some people are larger than life in their fields and everyone would likely agree that Jack Bogle is such a figure in the mutual funds area. Bogle founded Vanguard in the 70's and has since helped ordinary people make more money than perhaps anyone else living or dead. At least he helped those who had the intelligence to listen to his advice. Which is pretty much to invest...
Published on August 11, 2010 by Paul Suni

‹ Previous | 1 2 37 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars A Buy Buy Buy, September 13, 2014
This review is from: Common Sense on Mutual Funds: Fully Updated 10th Anniversary Edition (Hardcover)
Although I have investment experience , I really enjoyed book and have recommended it to folks
that don't have a clue when it comes investing in the stock market. But this book may be a bit too much for them.

Instead it may be a more appropriate read to those with some investment experience.

However, John Boggle really is a revolutionary when it comes deconstructing the myths of investing.

And thats critical because the industry is designed to make investing confusing and complicated. Hence people thinki they
need an investment advisor to guide them. Unless you have very complicated portfolio, index or passive investing in time, is
a winning proposition when it comes to participating in an amazing wealth generating program.

The fact of the matter is less 5% of all active money management manager beet the market. The question is.. if you don't know who the 5% of professional are who beat the market , you're going to spend time and money on people that can't beat index investing.

Boggle is truly a visionary and had to take a lot of heat from the industry stating that his system of indexing is never going to build a portfolio large enough to make difference in one's financing future.

Fortunately he has proven all of the naysayers wrong.

You may have to read certain sections twice or so yet if you want to be in the stock market, you can pick up
the basic concepts and general terms to begin taking control of your financial future.

4.0 out of 5 stars A little over my head, November 16, 2013
I am like most of the working class in America in that I am ignorant about investing and saving for retirement. I began reading this book in the hopes of gaining the tools I need to be a better steward of my financial future. I am a highly educated individual and this book is so over my head. I did learn a few things about fees and strategies, but the main thing I learned is that I have no clue what I'm doing. I wish this book had a little more how to. I think I might need to find a fiduciary, but these days I find it difficult to trust anyone in the financial world, whether they have declared themselves a fiduciary or not.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not on a Kindle..., August 24, 2014
I like the book very much. It is a 4(+) star book. However, I purchased the Kindle version and it is terrible. All, and I mean all, of the charts and graphics are too small to read and the Kindle does not have a working zoom feature. The charts are key to the book, and the frustration of having purchased this book for use on a Kindle is immense. Extraordinarily disappointing and surprising to see the poor quality both of the Kindle and Amazon's e-books. Astounding given both by the same firm and both are not new products.

5.0 out of 5 stars Still the best, January 30, 2011
I have used all my spare time since 2007 to read and study about investing. I have read over 100 books from Graham, Malkiel, Ellis, and Schwed, to {Wm.] Bernstein, Swedroe, Swenson, and Zweig, as well as all of John Bogle's books [I am reading his latest, "Don't Count On It!" right now].

This book is the one I would pick if I could only pick one for a friend or family member to read and learn about investing. It covers a lot of material, basically everything most people will need to know for safe and successful investing, but does not get into higher math or complexity which would lose too many readers. Still, even seasoned investors will learn from [and benefit from a re-reading of] this book. The older edition was the best book on investing even though the data was getting old and it did not cover newer topics like ETFs, the new edition remedies both these things.

Buy and read this book [and re-read it in a few years, or during the next financial downturn, whichever comes first], you will be happy that you did, and profit in more ways than just your 401k balance.

5.0 out of 5 stars September 2014 YTD returns of 75% of Mutual funds manager are worst than Bogles index fund., September 14, 2014
I am writing this review in September 2014 and so far YTD returns of 75% of mutual funds managers have been below the return of S&P 500 indexes. John Bogle is one of the only persons fighting for the rights of individual investors and this book is a must read for young people. If you like gambling and speculation and you prefer having fun in your investment life do not read this book, but on the other hand if you are like me wanting to be financial independent and you understand that a long term investment is needed for that goal you should definitely read this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars I bought this book to continue my studies on passively managed funds, July 12, 2014
This is the type of book you have to sit down with and really concentrate on; it is not an easy read. I bought this book to continue my studies on passively managed funds. It is one I read after reading several others and this is one that I would recommend only after you've read a few before it as it can get detailed and technical. Based on the information in the book, I redid my entire portfolio. Also, this is the only book I've found so far that said purchasing a house wasn't necessary a good investment which I also concluded before I read the book but went against what everyone says. I recommend this book if you've interested in learning from the expert and willing to sit down and study the contents of the book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Common Sense, October 29, 2013
Being a newbie to the investment scene, I am glad I first read Bogle's "Little Book of Common Sense Investing" first. That little book was a good foundation for this book that covers the entire Mutual Fund scene in much greater detail, the basics of mutual funds, investing in mutual funds, advantages and disadvantages of using a financial advisor, and, of course, Bogle's favorite, indexed mutual funds.

4.0 out of 5 stars Most Efficient Way to Invest, January 3, 2015
Best advice on investing, but quite long. Investment advice has worked well for me over many years. I used to deal actively in stocks and various mutual funds. Now, using indexes, and investing in market segments, my investment returns ahve been much better, with MUCH less effort.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good book, but repetitive, May 29, 2014
This book is a good read, and Bogle substantiates his claims with a good balance of analysis and simplification. If you want to know the gory details of the math the journal articles are cited.

The only frustration I have with this writing is that the book beats to death the idea that low cost indexing is good. As a new saver, I read this book hoping to learn about: mutual funds, what to put into a portfolio, and why I should bother with equity backed savings.

Bogle reassured my common sense that playing the stock market is essentially a gamble. As a trained statistician and mathematician, believing that anyone can predict the future is holds no water with me (there are lies, damn lies, and statistics as the saying goes). Bogle presents a compelling argument that massive diversification should provide a positive return given sufficient time.

Bogle also presents reasonable arguments for what you should invest in (indexed stock and bond assets in the US), and also explains how he arrives at his conclusions. This is very helpful because I feel I can apply that same reasoning as my investments grow to determine for myself if I think the risks are worth the potential reward.

Where the book is flawed is the "beating to death" that low cost wins. Bogle convinced me of that within the first 200 pages of the book. Unfortunately, this point occupies pages and pages of the remainder of the book.

I still give the book 5 stars, because - I read the book to learn about mutual funds. I think the books target audience is perhaps people that already have a basic knowledge of funds, or investors coming from the angle of hold stocks.

I have not read his other book (a little book on common sense investing), but perhaps that one should be read first.

"The flaw" aside, this is a very good book, and I love that he references academic, peer reviewed journal articles as well as statements from top investors. If you read the book and disagree with Bogle, you should defend your stance using evidence. Reading an investment book that quantifies its viewpoints is refreshing, given the amount of bull sh$t that gets plastered on TV and radio.

3.0 out of 5 stars Numerous typos in Kindle version, April 10, 2012
I was looking forward to reading this book on my Kindle.

I had started the paperback version of the earlier edition when I noticed the new 10th anniversary edition. I purchased the updated version for my Kindle and after the first 30 pages or so I like the book and the new content that's been added for the 10th anniversary.

There are numerous typos, however, in the Kindle edition that are very irritating -- from misspelled words, to dropped characters, to substituting of 'millions' for 'billions'. These typos seem exclusive to the new content added for the anniversary edition. I checked the hardcover and they seem to limited to the Kindle version. The number of typos make reading the new content difficult and frustrating.

I'm sorry to report I returned the Kindle version and am now waiting for the hardcover to arrive in the mail. Compliments to Amazon that they make returning content simple and painless.

‹ Previous | 1 2 37 | Next ›

Common Sense on Mutual Funds: Fully Updated  10th Anniversary Edition
Common Sense on Mutual Funds: Fully Updated 10th Anniversary Edition by John C. Bogle (Hardcover - December 2, 2009)
$34.95 $21.39