From the Back Cover
New and Enduring Features
- An increased emphasis on the most up-to-date research in the field and how it relates to key aspects of students' everyday lives.
- Research Profiles highlight the work of contemporary scholars in the Communication field, allowing students to see what types of field research are currently being done and by whom.
- Several topics new to this edition include communication technology, family communication, and leadership.
- The text offers extensive and well-informed information on the nature of persuasion and the rhetorical basis of the field, making students aware of the power of language and of their need to consider their audience.
- A chapter on public speech communication introduces the fundamentals of speech communication and mass communication.
- Special topics like animal vs. human communication, ethical issues, diversity issues, gender issues, and intercultural communication show students how variously and completely the communication process shapes their lives.
- The text provides coverage of theory (and contemporary research) by discussing significant issues in communication theory both historically and in contemporary society, while demonstrating to students the relevance of communication theory for their lives.
A useful, comprehensive overview of the communication discipline's major topic areas. I like the way the overall book is organized and ordered in its chapters. There is a natural flow
with later chapters building on earlier work.
Julie Apker, Western Michigan University
In short, this text is written to enhance teaching and effective learning using a variety of effective methods.
Donna R. Munde, Mercer County Community College --This text refers to an out of print or unavailable edition of this title.