5.0 out of 5 stars This Show STILL Delivers!
Everything about the first two seasons was top notch. The acting, writing, and directing just continued to get better and better as the story unfolded. It's safe to say that this is STILL the case with the third season of this critically acclaimed comedy!

Published on October 16, 2011 by F. E. Danna

3.0 out of 5 stars DVD doesn't do the season justice
I give the show itself, including this season, five stars. The DVD, however, appears to reflect ongoing cost cutting against "Community" by Sony & NBC:

1.) Much of the background music that played loud and clear on TV and Hulu is subdued or absent from the DVD episodes. For example, the "Dark Knight" theme of Abed's Batman appearances in...
Published 20 months ago by S. Yu

5.0 out of 5 stars This Show STILL Delivers!, October 16, 2011
This review is from: Community: Season 3 (DVD)

The writers are taking the excellence of this show very seriously, and it has already paid off in spades for fans. This season, they've truly gone all in, and its easy to see why: This is re-writing all the rules about what a TV comedy can accomplish within 22 minutes. It's smart, hilarious, edgy (and even a little weird - but in a good way). I hope that by the end of this season it'll no longer be the most underrated comedy on TV today, and will begin to gain the popularity that it's deserved for the past three seasons.

5.0 out of 5 stars PLEASE, PLEASE DON'T CANCEL THIS SHOW, NBC!!!, January 24, 2012
J. Kilpatrick (Brooklyn, NY United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Community: Season 3 (DVD)
This is the funniest show on TV. The only others that come close are "Parks and Rec." and "30 Rock." Please, NBC, do not cancel this awesome show. I will buy the DVD sets to support it. Thanks.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is the secret love child of Arrested Development and Friends. Best show on tv now, January 3, 2012
This review is from: Community: Season 3 (DVD)
This show is seriously one of the best shows on tv now. It is the comedic successor of arrested development; it contains all the wit, play on words, intelligent and observational humour that arrested development had. Unfortunantly because this show doesn't have a laugh track and requires some thought to enjoy it isn't getting the attention it deserves.

It takes numerous views to get most of the jokes and after watching the first two seasons at least 4-5 times I still catch things I've missed. It's hilarious, the acting is superb, the attention to detail is astounding, and the writing is at another level. Preorder this and I guarantee you won't be disappointed.

Here's hoping for 6 seasons and a movie.

5.0 out of 5 stars If a better TV series has been created, I politely demand you to tell me what it is, July 18, 2012
This review is from: Community: Season 3 (DVD)
If a better TV series has been created, I politely demand you to tell me what it is.

I have never been so riveted by a TV series. I have never found a TV series so hilarious. And I have never found a TV series so moving.

I suspect that in order for Community to have a similar type of effect on you, you must meet at least two criteria: (1) be between 20 and 35 years old, and (2) give your full attention to every nano-second of the show.

Re: (2): There is so much substance packed into every nano-second of the show that it demands your full attention to notice the subtleties and to understand exactly what the show's writers are trying to get at. You'll probably need/want to watch some episodes several times.

Re: (1): The first time I saw the show was at my parents' house, and while I was literally - not figuratively - screaming like an injured lemur with laughter, my Boomer parents barely managed a polite smile. The generational divide was never so apparent.

The show speaks directly to my generation, and not just to amuse us, but to tell us things we urgently need to hear. E.g.:

* "Britta's attracted to men in emotional pain. It helps her think that she's emotionally healthy."
* "Jeff, you're a normal person. There's nothing very special about you at all. You're going to be great at a few things but really crappy at many more."
* "While claiming to have no religion, you're actually devoutly worshipping yourself."
* "We need more respect and less passion."
* "TV makes sense. It has structure, logic, rules, and likeable leading men. In life we have this. We have you."

And there's so much more that isn't easily pick-up-able from little lines of dialogue. The general message of the show is (crudely) wake up, grow up, what's important is right in front of you.

God bless Dan Harmon. May he make many more TV shows.

---

Regarding Season 3 in particular, I think "Virtual Systems Analysis" might be the best show of the whole series. At least top 3. "Urban Matrimony and the Sandwich Arts" and "Digital Exploration of Interior Design" are also favorites.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best in Class, July 10, 2012
This review is from: Community: Season 3 (DVD)
There have been times where I have been concerned about how long Community can continue to create its high level of layered, meta-content. I've also taken the time to watch some videos of Writer Dan Harmon and this has greatly helped me to understand his vision for the show and how well thought out the entire show is (not just each individual episode). This is where these DVDs really start adding their value as Dan Harmon commentary, palyfest, comicon, etc. really help you understand the genius he brings to the show.

Season 3 is the dark season. Its how Harmon characterizes the growth of a relation and its the part that will test the friendship endured so far. It will either tear them apart, or drive them closer together. Once I understood this, each episode made much more sense. I was also concerned that there might not be much else to do outside of the study room. With 3 paintball episodes, and far too many dances, I was worried about where we would go to keep the show popping. My worry was in vein.

Season 3 contains the study group tackling a new Biology professor who has a special appreciation for life gleaned from years spent in prison. It dares to explore the group as they encounter separate timelines. We become privy to Brita's declared major and how she will work within the group with her new skills. We see Jeff play Foosball, the study group sings, Shirley makes sandwiches, we get a law and order spoof, someone dies, and we are presented with a fantastic 8 bit episode. In short... We don't need no stinking paintball.

The show continues to delve deep in multi-layered plot twists chocked full of cleverly written pop references and dynamically acted out by a superb cast. The musical talent of the cast is once again brought to light, but so is the talent of the song-writers and directors on staff.

Three years in and this show still gets an A+ in every conceivable category. Sadly, this season marks the end of Dan's writing and leadership. It also marks the apparent end of a full season as season 4 has only been ordered with 13 episode across the board from NBC. Two more reasons to complete the Community trilogy with this season 3 DVD. While it doesn't look like this show will complete its "6 seasons and a movie", It did release 3 full seasons + in less than ideal circumstances, and remains one of the most intelligent and underrated comedies of its time.

I recommend Community to any sitcom fan for a fresh look at life, politics, pop culture, story telling, acting, music, and more. Community contains the entire academic experience ;)

4.0 out of 5 stars Stumbles a bit, but still the best, August 14, 2012
This review is from: Community: Season 3 (DVD)
It was bound to happen. Any show that has a great first season, and beats the odds with a perfect second season, always stumbles in its third outing (see also : 30 Rock, 24, Arrested Development) While this is still the best and most adventurous comedy on network television, Community is no exception.

Community's greatest strength is that even at its most absurd, its equally balanced by a genuine warmth. This season the show finally collapsed under the weight of its absurdity with Chang's arc, which takes up a large chunk of the season. The attempts at furthering character development with the group aren't as organic as previous seasons and are frequently introduced, forgotten, and shoehorned in at a later time.

As for the actual dvd set, this time the season comes on 3 discs with 8 episodes instead of 4 discs with 6 episodes. This isn't a special effects heavy show, but the drop in quality can be a bit distracting.

But these are the only gripes in an otherwise excellent season, with Remedial Chaos Theory, Pillows and Blankets, Basic Lupine Urology, and Curriculum Unavailable as standout episodes. Definitely a must-buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just keeps making me laugh!, March 24, 2012
This review is from: Community: Season 3 (DVD)
I usually get bored with tv shows by the 3rd season, but Community is still holding my interest. Actually, I'm loving it so much, I'm finally buying the DVDs from the previous seasons (I am slow to decide that I want to watch something again and again) and looking forward to the S3 collection! Thank you, cast, crew and writers of Community, for making such a consistently smart and funny show!

5.0 out of 5 stars Leonard Likes This Post, July 24, 2012
Jovana J (Kansas City, KS) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Community: Season 3 (DVD)
Perfect television is a rare thing. The Sopranos remain the only show to reach perfection level (IMO). On the comedy side, Community is that show. It filled a very empty void Arrested Development left behind, with meta humor, rich characters, brilliant writing and most importantly, heart and soul. Dan Harmon has created tear inducing comedy that is clever, smart & unique. Even at the heights of the most bizzare situations imaginable, the characters remain at the heart of everything. Its just too good for basic TV & mainstream.

#sixseasonsandamovie

5.0 out of 5 stars Features the appearance of The Inspector, October 4, 2012
This review is from: Community: Season 3 (DVD)
Community is one of the best, well-thought-out series for many years. Hopefully for a few more years to come.
In a glorious homage (not "spoof," per se) of Doctor Who, "Inspector Spacetime" captures the attention of not only the characters and fans of Community, but also people who have never seen the series, drawn to this new take on a science fiction icon and legend.
The Inspector has rightfully grown his own fanbase (many of whom are mutual Community fans), and with their help via Kickstarter, has produced a web series to fuel our desire to continue following his adventures in Space & Time.
It's not about "if" you'll buy this season of Communtiy, and begin your enjoyment of The Inspector's travels, but "when" you will buy it.

You can also watch The Inspector's ongoing web series at
11thinspector(dot)wix(dot)com/theinspector

5.0 out of 5 stars Rib Crushing Hilarity, July 20, 2012
I could watch Community all day! The first two seasons were so great, I was nervous I'd be let down by the third. No worries though, they totally came through! This is definitely a 5 star show for me and Season 3 is my new favorite season. I've watched it twice, back to back because I just couldn't get enough.

Community: Season 3
Community: Season 3 by Joel McHale (DVD - 2012)
$35.99 $12.96