4.0 out of 5 stars Great bottle for breastfed babies!
Published on December 13, 2011 by A. Peterson

Published 17 months ago by wickedlfe

4.0 out of 5 stars Great bottle for breastfed babies!, December 13, 2011
This review is from: Comotomo Natural Feel Baby Bottle Single Pack, Green, 8 Ounces (Baby Product)
Before I review the product itself, please note: ***This 250ml bottle comes with a size 3 mo.+, medium-flow nipple!*** I originally ordered this bottle along with a separate set of med-flow nipples, thinking the bottle came with a slow-flow nipple. Fortunately, Amazon has great customer service and refunded me for the extra set since the size is nowhere in the description.

SOME BACKGROUND:

My baby has been exclusively breast-fed for most of his first 5 months with the exception of his first couple of weeks since he was in the NICU. We had been meaning to bottle-train him for one of his feedings to not only allow us some flexibility, but also for emergency situations (if something happened to me, etc.). However, I blinked and 5 months few by and we still had not introduced a bottle.

We first tried Avent bottles because my oldest used them with no problem, and we already had them. While he tried to suck on them, his "technique" was just awkward on the bottle: he just gummed the nipple and sucked in a whole lot of air at the sides of his mouth. And after all that work, he still didn't end up drinking any of the milk. Then we tried the Adiri bottles, which just provoked his rage and frustration. He would try gum down on the "nipple mound" (much like babies do on the real breast to compress the milk glands) but the mound was too hard and the nipple itself was too short. Not wanting to go down the way of trying 20 more bottles, I began researching different types, and looking for one that was as close to breastfeeding as possible. It came down to the Mimijumi or the Comotomo. Both have excellent reviews, but only one looks really creepy... So I went with the Comotomo bottles.

These are very-thoughtfully designed bottles that mimic the breastfeeding process as closely as a manufactured product can. My son screamed his head off the first time we tried this bottle, whimpered the second time, and guzzled the milk the third time. As when any bottle, it will take time to get them used to a completely different way of getting their food. However, some bottle features make the transition easier/possible.

THE NIPPLE:

* Large, wide "nipple mound" (Don't know what else to call it!) makes contact with baby's cheeks, tip of nose and chin, much like a real breast. This was not only tactilely appealing, but it allowed for a sealed latch and prevented unnecessary air from being ingested.
* While the mound is soft and pliable, the actual nipple and the base area surrounding it is even more so. This allows baby to gum and compress the milk out of the bottle, and also allows for the nipple to be flattened and sucked further into baby's mouth. Just like the real thing!
* Two vents siphon out extra air so that baby doesn't ingest it. Nonetheless, my baby still had enormous burps after bottle-feeding -- much more so than when he breastfeeds.
* Nipple locks into the ring tightly, and we have had absolutely no issues with leaking.

THE BOTTLE:

* The bottle is pliable and can be squeezed to mimic a "let down" effect or to get a sleepy baby re-interested into feeding. This is a great feature!
* Subdued design. This was why I chose the Comotomo over the Mimijumi, which really looks like a boob-on-a-bottle...I just couldn't do it.
* The oz. markings are a little too subdued -- it is really hard to read the measurements. I can live with this because the rest of the bottle is so awesome.
* No crevices for the milk to get stuck in.
* Easy to clean.

The only thing I wish Comotomo did was have the body of the bottle angled, like the Mimijumi. When it gets down to the last sips, you have to angle the bottle up; however, because the mound part of the nipple is so big, it pushes more into baby's nose -- since they need to breath while eating, you have to either recline your baby even more or you might have to forgo that last sip or two. This is slightly annoying since the rest of the bottle is so well-thought out. Oh well.

UPDATE 1/6/2012

Okay, after using these bottles for a little longer, I changed my 5-star rating to 4-stars for the following reasons:

* The frosted-color of the body (as mentioned before) make the oz. markings very difficult to see. This only slightly bothered me before because I was so thrilled that my baby was taking the bottle well. However, after a few weeks with using the bottle, this issue is becoming more annoying. I don't have the time to keep peering and straining my eyes to see how much liquid I am putting in the bottle. I can especially see this as problematic for those who are trying to measure out formula. In the middle of the night. When you are pretty much a zombie.
* The frosted body also prevents you from seeing how much your baby has drunk. I like to pull the bottle away from baby as soon as he has taken the last sip to prevent unnecessary air ingestion, but I cannot see when this happens due to frosted-style. In order for you to see how much your baby has drunk you have to sort of shift him/her around to try and see the liquid level -- not the best thing to be doing if your baby is starting to doze off. So the past few times my baby has been sucking air at the end, and I didn't know it. Why couldn't Comotomo make their bottles CLEAR and with VISIBLE OZ. MARKINGS?? It may not look as cool, but this mom wants practical over cool.
* Someone mentioned that the nipples don't have the size marking on them (i.e. slow-flow, medium, fast). I checked mine, and they don't! They all look the exact same. Yikes!
* Also, the company stamped all the nipples with "Comotomo" in raised lettering on the nipple...right where the baby's lips would be if he/she had a wider latch. The lettering is on two opposite sides of the nipple, and the other areas next to it are the vents. It doesn't seem to bother my baby, but I can imagine some baby being bothered by the feeling of either the lettering or vents. Just FYI.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing!!!! Best on the market, we love it!!!!, January 5, 2012
I had never written a review on any product, but this bottle is so good in many ways I feel I owe a credit to the designer.

I've looked at hundreds of reviews on many major brands of breast feeding bottles.
The conclusions I've found:
- Adiri has problems with the leaking cap, venting and nipple being too soft.
- The First Years Breastflow has complaints about nipple tip wearing out too fast.
- Tommee Tippee drips on the rim of the nipple.
I end up bought the Mimijumi very hungry baby and Comotomo 5oz, both are slow flow.

My baby girl was born under weight, she had trouble latching on the breast with her little mouth.
After 2-3 weeks, she still not latching well on the breast and gets tired sucking before being full.
Concern about her weight gain, I end up feeding her with the bottle exclusively for a month.
I tried the Mimijumi first and found that it drip quite fast when turn up side down.
Which makes my baby chokes whenever she pause.
The nipple is a little too soft and we had trouble emptying the last bit from the bottle.
Its not a bad product, just not as good.
The Comotomo works much better, the nipple doesn't drip much when turn up side down.
So my baby has to work for the milk and I could toss a full bottle in my purse without worries about leaking(with the cap).
She feed so well on it, she doubled her weight at 6 weeks.

After a month on bottle exclusively, I didn't give much hope feeding on the breast ever again.
One day she was crying a lot, so I put her on the breast just to comfort her.
To my amazement, she not only had no trouble feeding on the breast after a whole month.
She is latching on much better than before.
She end up finished the whole meal and fell asleep in my arms.
I am so happy with this bottle.
Not only it doesn't confuse my baby, it helps her to learn a proper latching.

I would recommend this bottle to every pumping mom.
Thanks Comotomo!!!
You've given me the chance to enjoy a wonderful breast feeding experience with my baby girl.

PROS:
- design for proper latching, wont confuse baby
- non-slip surface, easy to hold on
- could be boil
- perfect air pressure, doesn't choke baby when pause
- nipple not too soft/hard
- well designed air vent
- nice looking
- BPA free, easy cleaning, etc.

CONS (rooms for improvement):
- the material attracts hair and lint.
- tips over at times
- measurement is hard to read
- don't have a matching steamer for sale
- twin pack doesn't give color choice (more colors in the future?)
- fast and viable flow nipples only available in 48 states
(It wont ship to Canada, help please!!! I really want to order it)

Kris Lau and baby Trinity from Toronto Canada

4.0 out of 5 stars finally, a venting bottle that does not leak or collapse and works incredibly well, November 10, 2011
gentle, sweet bottle makes feeding time almost like breast feeding! and finally, a venting bottle that does not leak or collapse and works incredibly well.
the bottle itself is comprised of 4 elements: nipple, collar, bottle and a cap.

the nipple:
there are 2 recessed vents in the large soft silicone nipple (which looks very much like a real breast - except that it's clear).
there are 2 holes in the medium flow nipple and this comes standard with the 250mL bottle.
the fast flow nipple has 3 holes and must be purchase separately (comes in a 2 pack)
there is a large ridge around the edge of the nipple which fits nicely into the collar to screw onto the bottle.

the collar:
this is the colored element
it is thick and sturdy with a small tab that allows you some leverage to tighten the seal as well as unscrew the unit
not much to it, very easy to clean

the bottle:
soft, nicely shaped clear silicone body with a rigid, wide-mouth threaded plastic ring to which the collar connects
there is a nice texture to the outside so holding it actually appealing to both baby and feeder
the inside is smooth and shiny and also very easy to clean
the numbers and amounts are marked with just a change of the bottle texture to smooth/shiny and hard to read

the cap:
simple and effective
the shape is somewhat difficult to get off the bottle with wet, soapy hands

my review:
the nipple body rests on baby's face just like when breast feeding. baby seems to treat it very similarly - making eye contact with mommy (or any feeder actually) and cooing.
i can barely hear any air going through the bottle and mostly hear the swallowing of milk without the sucking/slurping noises she used to make with other bottles (medela, playtex, etc). there was no excess on her face. and it never collapsed, not even once. she was able to enjoy her entire bottle without having to come up for air...at least for the nipple. baby used to deliver tremendous burps and now i can barely get one out of her!
this bottle with its larger, 'flat' nipple body needs to be tipped higher to get all the milk into the nipple. baby doesn't seem to mind being tilted to almost laying down for this.
it would be great if there were a plain screw on cap in order to shake up formula. otherwise, pressing down the nipple with index finger while rigorously shaking seems to work just fine without any splatter. shaking with the cap on led to drips inside the cap.
it is so easy to clean that you don't need as many bottles for daily feedings, so this somewhat offsets the price of this bottle.
i bought 2 bottles and so far, have only taken one out of the box.
i would certainly recommend this product and give as gifts.

adding to 11/10/2011 review:
it is now 12/1/2011 and baby has been using only this bottle. it is really quite great and all my previous comments hold true.
i will add that if you are mixing formula in this bottle, shaking it up can get messy unless your finger is tightly over the nipple. also, when mixing formula, this is rather tricky when filling the bottle to the 8oz capacity. there is no room for the formula on top of the water. i mix it separately (in another bottle brand with a screw cap) and then pour it in.
graduation markers still hard to read and annoying, wish they had done this better somehow.
still have only taken one out of the box - it is so easy to clean, it's never left in the sink for someone else to wash...

5.0 out of 5 stars Breastfed baby finally takes bottle, March 30, 2014
After trying every single bottle from the big box stores both latex and silicon, I decided to give this a try. My six-month-old daughter is exclusively breastfed and does not take bottles of my pumped milk...until now. This is the only bottle she will take. She loves how squishy it is and enjoys holding it. Love that I don't have to use a bottle brush to clean it. Be careful when washing the nipple as it's possible to stretch the hole. Would definitely recommend this bottle to others.

5.0 out of 5 stars Comparison of Comotomo and mOmma bottles for Nursing Problems, August 19, 2013
This review is the same as the one I posted on the mOmma bottles site.

I bought both the Comotomo and Lansinoh mOmma bottles because my twins refused to nurse initially. They were given bottles in the hospital because my breastmilk was slow to come. Now, about 4 months later, their initial latching and nursing problems have improved. I would always nurse first, then offer the bottle. Really, finding the right bottles and persevering with nursing does pay off. Here's my comparison of the two bottles:

Comparing these two, I find that the mOmma nipples are softer and shaped more like my own but with a faster flow, whereas the Comotomo bottles have smaller, slimmer, slightly harder nipples and a slower flow. I switch them around depending on my needs. When I need breastmilk to be heated up quickly, I use the mOmma bottles as they warm up faster when placed in hot water. The Comotomo does not heat up quickly due to the thick silicone bottle. Also, since mOmma has faster flow, I use it during night/dream feeds when I want my babies to gobble up the milk quickly, when I'm less concerned about having them work harder on a slower flow nipple. The Comotomo, however, is my go-to bottle for all regular feedings when babies are awake just because I want my babies to get used to the slow flow that is more similar to their nursing experience, and they do seem to make less of a mess when they are on the Comotomo. When traveling, the mOmma bottles stay tight whereas the Comotomo bottles leak.

One problem that both bottles have is the volume measurements are not clearly visible on the bottles. I'd say that the mOmma bottle is harder to see than the Comotomo. However, I measure with another bottle then pour into these bottles, so it isn't a big deal.

My babies adjusted to both bottles easily and can now switch between the two and nursing. I notice that when they are on both of these bottles, the tip of their little tongues are positioned near the base of the nipples, and they also open their mouths really wide compared to traditional bottles. As far as I know, these are some signs that they are using their tongues and mouths similar to nursing, which will lead to less nipple confusion.

Some bottles claim they reduce colic. Well, my experience is that none of the bottles I have used reduced colic.

In short, you probably can't go wrong with either bottle. If you have nursing problems because your babies were given bottles initially, don't be discouraged. Perseverance and consulting with the lactation consultant will help. There is hope yet!

4.0 out of 5 stars The final break through, December 29, 2012
I've tried numerous bottles for my 6 week old baby girl. She was exculsivly breastfed for 5 weeks before introducing a bottle she rejected every bottle we gave her. I had given up by the time I tried the comotomo bottles. To my surprise she took to it quite quickly. The bottles have a very soft supple feel to them almost like the real thing.

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVE THIS BOTTLE!, December 9, 2012
minniesk (plainsboro, nj) - See all my reviews
It is easy to clean, shaped like a breast, flexible like a breast, and the best part is the "breast compression" feature! It's just like breastfeeding. I only have one of these so I like to save it during the night so when she is falling asleep I can pinch it and she will wake up a little and continue to at. It's easy to hold and the only thing is sometimes I knock it over easier than other bottles if I don't place it down properly since it is narrower at the bottom. But this is a tiny problem in such an awesome bottle! My husband, baby and I all love it! I am having problems breastfeeding so this really helped us with bottle feeding and breast feeding because of the slow flow nipple and the shape. I feel it is shaped like a breast and she can easily put her hands on the bottle like she does on my breast. Great design!

1.0 out of 5 stars Plasticky taste/odor from inside the bottle even after many washes/sanitizings, March 13, 2013
I wanted to find a bottle that was as close to breastfeeding as possible so that if we ever had to supplement with formula or pumped breastmilk, it would give the least chance the baby would be confused. Based on the reviews here on Amazon and a suggestion from another mom, I figured I'd give this bottle a try. In the first few days, we were really happy with the purchase - the nipple is really soft and does resemble the breast. In regards to the slow flow, when I turn it upside down it does not drip and the baby seems to take longer to finish the bottle so we were happy with it. Plus the bottle was easy to clean. The only concerns I had at that point were 1) that the bottle tipped over really easily so I had to be careful when filling it with formula or breastmilk and 2) that we started to notice some foam bubbles that would remain in the plain water after swishing around the bottle a bit. The latter was a bit alarming to me because it doesn't happen in any of the other bottles we have (Dr. Browns, Avent, Breastflow), but I didn't think much of it continued to use the bottle.

After a week, my wife decided to test the slow flow of all of our bottles by sucking on them. That's when we found out that there was a weird plasticky taste to the Comotomo bottle. Mind you this was already after the 9-10 uses with the baby so we've washed and sterilized it many times already. I again washed the bottle with mild soap and made sure to rinse really clean before trying again, but the plasticky taste didn't go away. After I dried the bottle, I smelled the inside of the bottle and sure enough there was that same plasticky smell. The nipple itself doesn't have any odor, just the bottle. We freaked out and stopped using the bottle. Maybe the silicone has something to do with it? I've contacted Comotomo through their Facebook page and hope to hear back from them on this issue. I really hope its just a defective bottle and not the norm across all of their bottles.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really works as nice as they look!, September 27, 2011
I have now had these bottles for my twins for a number of months, we just seem to like them more and more.

Other brands I have personally used are
Dr. Brown's Natural Flow 4oz Wide Neck Bottles-2 Pack wide base (too much to clean, bottle larger than usable space to allow for vent design, just ended up very bulky)
Tommee Tippee 3-pack Closer to Nature Bottle 5oz (mostly nice, but "shoulder" on bottle trapped a lot of milk making it hard to feed it all without a lot of tipping and finesse and lack of grip on lid makes it very hard to open)

Comotomo bottles look and feel very well made and fit together nicely. thankfully they are actually low flow, so many brands claim they are and aren't! These feel good in my hand and the babies even seem to like placing there hands on them, I am guessing they will be easy for them to hold in the near future. (update, they now love to hold them and have no problem feeding themselves.)
Lid snaps on well and seems to seal great, i could not make these leak in the lid or around the screw lid, its seals up to the silicone tight! Nipple locks into outer ring tightly and would be hard to get on wrong.
The frosted silicone is very grippy on the body of the bottle and is thicker and firmer on the top two thirds of it to give structure and thinner on the bottom third for squeeze-ability, someone really thought it out. I have training in Industrial Design and i have to say I'm very impressed how they addressed nearly all my issues with bottles.

Biggest selling points for me were:

*Breastfeeding compatible nipple (as much as there ever is)
*Milk not being trapped in the bottle (i pump breast milk and it is too precious to waste)
*Easy to clean (i have newborn twins i do not need more hassle)
and
*Good looks (might seem silly but bottle feeding is already a drag, something stylish rather than clinical makes me smile)

Pros:

*Truly low flow nipple
*Clean design that lets you wash it really easy, no bottle brush, my hand and a sponge fit in fine and there are no fussy undercuts to wash around (a big issue with Dr. Browns bottles)
*Good nipple shape for breastfed babies or anyone for that matter
*2 vents built into nipple to let air back in and reduce vacuum that can lead to ear pain and bubbles
*No loud branding, brand name is only in frosted letters on bottle, very low key
*Volume measurements molded into the frosted silicone bottle, can not wear off (slightly hard to read)
*Shape allows all the milk to drain into the nipple easily, no "shoulder" on the bottle
*Different colored rings on each bottle lets you designate one for each child (I have twins) or for different uses?
*Soft silicone body lets you give a little squeeze for sleepy babies or newborns just figuring it out
*Tab on lid ring makes for easy unscrewing (a big problem with TommeeTippee brand)

Cons:

*Pricy (but I think worth it, and how many do you really need after all?)
*Might tip over a bit easy (but they don't seem to leak)
*Color of lid rings are pink and green, I think it would be smarter to have non sex associated colors I have B/G twins so it works out, but something more neutral than pink would be better for most folks)
*Volume marking can be hard to read, they are frost on a clear background, no color
*Too wide for my Dr Browns bottle warmer, I'm guessing other brands as well (it fits if I remove the inner basket, but that causes other issues)

5.0 out of 5 stars No nipple confusion!, April 24, 2012
After giving birth, I planned to feed my son nothing but the finest breast milk money can't buy, but I had to be back in classes a few days after leaving the hospital. With no time to wait the three weeks recommended by lactation consultants before bottle feeding, I pumped as much milk as I could, left my husband with the plethora of bottles we received at my baby shower, and crossed my fingers. I was nervous about nipple confusion, but it turned out my fears were totally misplaced because every time my poor husband tried a bottle, the little man was all like, "Dad, you JERK! What are you trying to pull? This is SO NOT MOMMA."

Based on reviews and advice from other breastfeeding moms, I bought the Comotomo and the Medela crazy Dyson-style bottle. Despite the super science-y high tech testing the Medela went through, the mini-man is not into it (after sucking for a while, it floods his mouth with milk), but he is taking the Comotomo. Before the Comotomo, we knew the width of most bottle nipples was an issue and tried a Tommee Tippee which sort of worked (with much additional baby angst) if our son was hungry enough. The Comotomo's nipple is as wide as the Tommee Tippee's, but much softer, plus the 150ml size has a truly low-flow nipple. In fact, our little dude has to suck to get anything out of the Comotomo. Another thing that we like is the soft body, which allows my husband to squirt a little milk out and wet the nipple, which I think is the trick to getting our son to take it.

Obviously, every baby is different and I'm no lactation consultant, but we've had great luck with this bottle so far and no nipple confusion despite starting our son on the bottle earlier than recommended.

Rate and Discover Movies