Comotomo Natural Feel Baby Bottle, Green, 8 Ounces
Color: GreenSize: 250mlChange
Price:$13.99+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on December 13, 2011
Before I review the product itself, please note: ***This 250ml bottle comes with a size 3 mo.+, medium-flow nipple!*** I originally ordered this bottle along with a separate set of med-flow nipples, thinking the bottle came with a slow-flow nipple. Fortunately, Amazon has great customer service and refunded me for the extra set since the size is nowhere in the description.

SOME BACKGROUND:

My baby has been exclusively breast-fed for most of his first 5 months with the exception of his first couple of weeks since he was in the NICU. We had been meaning to bottle-train him for one of his feedings to not only allow us some flexibility, but also for emergency situations (if something happened to me, etc.). However, I blinked and 5 months few by and we still had not introduced a bottle.

We first tried Avent bottles because my oldest used them with no problem, and we already had them. While he tried to suck on them, his "technique" was just awkward on the bottle: he just gummed the nipple and sucked in a whole lot of air at the sides of his mouth. And after all that work, he still didn't end up drinking any of the milk. Then we tried the Adiri bottles, which just provoked his rage and frustration. He would try gum down on the "nipple mound" (much like babies do on the real breast to compress the milk glands) but the mound was too hard and the nipple itself was too short. Not wanting to go down the way of trying 20 more bottles, I began researching different types, and looking for one that was as close to breastfeeding as possible. It came down to the Mimijumi or the Comotomo. Both have excellent reviews, but only one looks really creepy... So I went with the Comotomo bottles.

These are very-thoughtfully designed bottles that mimic the breastfeeding process as closely as a manufactured product can. My son screamed his head off the first time we tried this bottle, whimpered the second time, and guzzled the milk the third time. As when any bottle, it will take time to get them used to a completely different way of getting their food. However, some bottle features make the transition easier/possible.

THE NIPPLE:

* Large, wide "nipple mound" (Don't know what else to call it!) makes contact with baby's cheeks, tip of nose and chin, much like a real breast. This was not only tactilely appealing, but it allowed for a sealed latch and prevented unnecessary air from being ingested.
* While the mound is soft and pliable, the actual nipple and the base area surrounding it is even more so. This allows baby to gum and compress the milk out of the bottle, and also allows for the nipple to be flattened and sucked further into baby's mouth. Just like the real thing!
* Two vents siphon out extra air so that baby doesn't ingest it. Nonetheless, my baby still had enormous burps after bottle-feeding -- much more so than when he breastfeeds.
* Nipple locks into the ring tightly, and we have had absolutely no issues with leaking.

THE BOTTLE:

* The bottle is pliable and can be squeezed to mimic a "let down" effect or to get a sleepy baby re-interested into feeding. This is a great feature!
* Subdued design. This was why I chose the Comotomo over the Mimijumi, which really looks like a boob-on-a-bottle...I just couldn't do it.
* The oz. markings are a little too subdued -- it is really hard to read the measurements. I can live with this because the rest of the bottle is so awesome.
* No crevices for the milk to get stuck in.
* Easy to clean.

The only thing I wish Comotomo did was have the body of the bottle angled, like the Mimijumi. When it gets down to the last sips, you have to angle the bottle up; however, because the mound part of the nipple is so big, it pushes more into baby's nose -- since they need to breath while eating, you have to either recline your baby even more or you might have to forgo that last sip or two. This is slightly annoying since the rest of the bottle is so well-thought out. Oh well.

UPDATE 1/6/2012

Okay, after using these bottles for a little longer, I changed my 5-star rating to 4-stars for the following reasons:

* The frosted-color of the body (as mentioned before) make the oz. markings very difficult to see. This only slightly bothered me before because I was so thrilled that my baby was taking the bottle well. However, after a few weeks with using the bottle, this issue is becoming more annoying. I don't have the time to keep peering and straining my eyes to see how much liquid I am putting in the bottle. I can especially see this as problematic for those who are trying to measure out formula. In the middle of the night. When you are pretty much a zombie.
* The frosted body also prevents you from seeing how much your baby has drunk. I like to pull the bottle away from baby as soon as he has taken the last sip to prevent unnecessary air ingestion, but I cannot see when this happens due to frosted-style. In order for you to see how much your baby has drunk you have to sort of shift him/her around to try and see the liquid level -- not the best thing to be doing if your baby is starting to doze off. So the past few times my baby has been sucking air at the end, and I didn't know it. Why couldn't Comotomo make their bottles CLEAR and with VISIBLE OZ. MARKINGS?? It may not look as cool, but this mom wants practical over cool.
* Someone mentioned that the nipples don't have the size marking on them (i.e. slow-flow, medium, fast). I checked mine, and they don't! They all look the exact same. Yikes!
* Also, the company stamped all the nipples with "Comotomo" in raised lettering on the nipple...right where the baby's lips would be if he/she had a wider latch. The lettering is on two opposite sides of the nipple, and the other areas next to it are the vents. It doesn't seem to bother my baby, but I can imagine some baby being bothered by the feeling of either the lettering or vents. Just FYI.
1111 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on September 4, 2014
I liked the concept of this bottle and wanted so badly for my daughter to take it but she still will not take a bottle. For her, the nipple was too big. It also seemed like she could not latch onto it. I actually tried a Dr. Browns bottle again, and she had a better latch on the bottle but she refused it.
on January 5, 2012
I had never written a review on any product, but this bottle is so good in many ways I feel I owe a credit to the designer.

I've looked at hundreds of reviews on many major brands of breast feeding bottles.
The conclusions I've found:
- Adiri has problems with the leaking cap, venting and nipple being too soft.
- The First Years Breastflow has complaints about nipple tip wearing out too fast.
- Tommee Tippee drips on the rim of the nipple.
I end up bought the Mimijumi very hungry baby and Comotomo 5oz, both are slow flow.

My baby girl was born under weight, she had trouble latching on the breast with her little mouth.
After 2-3 weeks, she still not latching well on the breast and gets tired sucking before being full.
Concern about her weight gain, I end up feeding her with the bottle exclusively for a month.
I tried the Mimijumi first and found that it drip quite fast when turn up side down.
Which makes my baby chokes whenever she pause.
The nipple is a little too soft and we had trouble emptying the last bit from the bottle.
Its not a bad product, just not as good.
The Comotomo works much better, the nipple doesn't drip much when turn up side down.
So my baby has to work for the milk and I could toss a full bottle in my purse without worries about leaking(with the cap).
She feed so well on it, she doubled her weight at 6 weeks.

After a month on bottle exclusively, I didn't give much hope feeding on the breast ever again.
One day she was crying a lot, so I put her on the breast just to comfort her.
To my amazement, she not only had no trouble feeding on the breast after a whole month.
She is latching on much better than before.
She end up finished the whole meal and fell asleep in my arms.
I am so happy with this bottle.
Not only it doesn't confuse my baby, it helps her to learn a proper latching.

I would recommend this bottle to every pumping mom.
Thanks Comotomo!!!
You've given me the chance to enjoy a wonderful breast feeding experience with my baby girl.

PROS:
- design for proper latching, wont confuse baby
- non-slip surface, easy to hold on
- could be boil
- perfect air pressure, doesn't choke baby when pause
- nipple not too soft/hard
- well designed air vent
- nice looking
- BPA free, easy cleaning, etc.

CONS (rooms for improvement):
- the material attracts hair and lint.
- tips over at times
- measurement is hard to read
- don't have a matching steamer for sale
- twin pack doesn't give color choice (more colors in the future?)
- fast and viable flow nipples only available in 48 states
(It wont ship to Canada, help please!!! I really want to order it)

Kris Lau and baby Trinity from Toronto Canada
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on August 10, 2012
I EBF and didn't give my baby a bottle of pumped milk until she was a little older than 4 months and everyone was warning me "she's not gonna take a bottle" since I waited so long... but when I say she had NO problem taking this bottle right from the start, I mean she had NO problem! She gulped that milk down! I personally don't feed her with it, I leave that up to her dad and her grandparents but by the second time she was holding it herself just like she holds the boob! I also bought another brand "just in case" and the Comotomo is definitely her preference. The feel and shape, along with the large nipple area are great! Definitely recommended and thankful that this helped us have a drama-free first bottle experience!
review image
on March 13, 2013
I wanted to find a bottle that was as close to breastfeeding as possible so that if we ever had to supplement with formula or pumped breastmilk, it would give the least chance the baby would be confused. Based on the reviews here on Amazon and a suggestion from another mom, I figured I'd give this bottle a try. In the first few days, we were really happy with the purchase - the nipple is really soft and does resemble the breast. In regards to the slow flow, when I turn it upside down it does not drip and the baby seems to take longer to finish the bottle so we were happy with it. Plus the bottle was easy to clean. The only concerns I had at that point were 1) that the bottle tipped over really easily so I had to be careful when filling it with formula or breastmilk and 2) that we started to notice some foam bubbles that would remain in the plain water after swishing around the bottle a bit. The latter was a bit alarming to me because it doesn't happen in any of the other bottles we have (Dr. Browns, Avent, Breastflow), but I didn't think much of it continued to use the bottle.

After a week, my wife decided to test the slow flow of all of our bottles by sucking on them. That's when we found out that there was a weird plasticky taste to the Comotomo bottle. Mind you this was already after the 9-10 uses with the baby so we've washed and sterilized it many times already. I again washed the bottle with mild soap and made sure to rinse really clean before trying again, but the plasticky taste didn't go away. After I dried the bottle, I smelled the inside of the bottle and sure enough there was that same plasticky smell. The nipple itself doesn't have any odor, just the bottle. We freaked out and stopped using the bottle. Maybe the silicone has something to do with it? I've contacted Comotomo through their Facebook page and hope to hear back from them on this issue. I really hope its just a defective bottle and not the norm across all of their bottles.
77 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on April 23, 2015
This product is a nice concept, but it doesn't work. If you are trying to continue breastfeeding, avoid this bottle. I thought I liked it for first few days, but came to realize that this bottle did not live up to the expectation. I noticed other reviers also changed their ratings and downgraded their reviews after several days.(can you imagine how many parents have time to actually go back and rewrite the reviews??? So I'm sure the rating is falsely high) I'm writing my after 1 month of use.

I know oral aversion/bottle refusal is so frustrating for parents. We tend to grab on to hopes and spend tons of money I order to search for that perfect bottle. Don't waste it here. I never write reviews but I was compelled to write this one to rescue other moms from wasting the money.

1. The nipple is too pliable. Too easy to bend with baby's tongue. The baby is trying to latch, but it keeps escaping her mouth.

2. I thought it would be nice to have the let down affect, but it squeeze too easily and the baby chokes on it. Nice thought, but it doesn't work. Besides, the flow of the nipple is not labeled. Is this fast flow? Slow flow? I could never figured it out.

3. The bottle is made of silicon and it's so hard to warm the milk. It takes forever compare to others. Who has time to wait for >15 min when the baby is hungry???

4. The bottle is awkward shape. It doesnt for in any diaper bag/designated bottle holding space.

5. It spills in the diaper bag. Because of it's squeezable feature, it gets squeezed in the diaper bag and it leaks. I had to empty out and clean everything inside of the bag so many times.

I showed the bottle to the several lactation specialists, speech therapists who soecializes on oral aversions, and pediatricians and they unanimously told me to throw away the bottle and use other brand. (I won't list them here so that people don't think I was paid by the other company to write this review) They thought it was waste of money. They warned me that this bottle does NOT mimic natural breast feeding at all, and will cause nipple confusion.

This bottle is a newer gadget out there and so tempting. Don't do it.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 30, 2015
I don't like the design of this bottle. My wife would disagree. It's too bad she isn't writing this review. Some background info, my daughter never latched on so we've been using these bottles exclusively for 11 months. My wife read about a million reviews that said they were great for the baby, minimized air intake, and babies loved them. We've used the 5 ounce and 8 ounce versions with the low and medium flow nipples. This is our second child, so I'm not totally oblivious to how to feed a child.

Pros: My baby has had no issues feeding from them, and has not exhibited any noticeable gastric discomfort. She has also spit up very minimally. These bottles don't have a tendancy to leak. Minimal parts. Easy to assemble, easy to clean.

Cons: The bottle being so soft and "squishy" makes it so that you can't get a decent grip when putting the nipple on or taking it off, resulting in frequent over tightening and consequently, difficult removal. The bottle being clear is nothing new to baby bottles, but the measurement marks also being clear makes filling to the appropriate volume annoying, especially in low light. The base of the bottle is much more narrow than the widest point of the bottle which happens to be at the base of the nipple. This design brings the center of gravity of the bottle up too high which makes it prone to spilling, even with the slightest bump. The fact that the bottle is nice and round only makes the mess worse. I don't particularly enjoy wasting breast milk or formula. These bottles also seem to be a little pricey in my opinion.

I think that some of the design specifics are a gimmick, and a little more time should be spent in the common sense arena.
on January 26, 2015
First off let me say that I am a stay-at-home dad. Our little one was breastfed-only for 3 months then Mommy had to go back to work. Unfortunately the baby was not drinking from our Born Free bottles from our previous children. We tried Playtex, Tommee Tippee, Adiri NxGen, First Years Breastflow, and a few other standard bottles. He wouldn't drink from any of them. We saw the Comotomo on Amazon and had never heard of the brand but we're willing to give it a try as all others weren't working for him. To our gracious surprise he willingly attached to the bottle. The bottle is silicon and super easy to clean. Because it's small, light weight, and textured he was able to easily grip the bottle. We used this bottle exclusively until he was old enough to drink from a sippy cup. If your desperate because your little one is not latching onto a bottle, give Comotomo a try! It worked well for us.
on January 8, 2015
My exclusively breastfed 4 month old has refused all bottles until now. We tried Medela, Tommee Tippee, Adiri and now this. Within minutes she was asleep. She usually has to be nursing at my breast to fall asleep!! I mean, she has been 100% dependent on my boobs to fall asleep until now. She is still sleeping in my arms as I write this. I took the picture and got on here to review as soon as she fell asleep. I am amazed! Would definitely recommend it.

**please note that I used the paced bottle feeding method. Look it up on YouTube. It works better for EBF babies**
review image
on March 15, 2015
For babies looking to take a bottle and still being breastfed, this is the bottle! The whole thing is squishy and soft and my son who was being being very picky, took this one immediately. It does come out a little fast but my little guy got the hang of it. We tried avent, Adiri, kiinde, and playtex.