Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: CompTIA Network+ Certification All-in-One Exam Guide, 5th Edition (Exam N10-005)
Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Segway miniPro STEM

on March 5, 2012
Would I recommend this book? Yes.

The book definitely covers all that you need to know for the test. I bought the book, read it once, took notes during a second read through, studied my notes frequently, reread a couple chapters, recopied notes for a couple chapters, took the practice exams that came with the book, and took the practice exam on the CompTIA site (it was for the N10-004 so it wasn't that helpful for this test) over the course of thirty days. I passed on my first try. As far as previous networking experience goes, I've set up home wireless routers, worked in a computer corporation warehouse (long time ago when 10BaseT was current), and have read A+ second and seventh editions (I still haven't taken the A+ certification). Obviously, I had a little catching up to do in the networking arena.

What I found challenging was sorting out all the acronyms. There are nearly 350 acronyms and a lot are very similar. But, once I started associating groups of acronyms to their related networking topic, knowing what they are and , just as important, knowing what they are not, became much easier. Knowing the acronyms, in my opinion, is crucial.

The exam tips in the book are relevant and accurate. Know the OSI and TCP/IP layers, port numbers, cable types, command prompt tools, subnetting, etc. All the information is there. It is just a matter of studying and organizing it all well enough to remember it. My personal tip is "know your acronyms!"

Passing the test really comes down to two things: 1. How experienced you are with networking? and 2. How good are your study skills? This is also covered in the first chapter of the book.

I think most people want to know if the test can be passed with this material. I am proof that it can. However, it was simply due to studying the material hard and long enough to have a relatively good understanding of not only what things are called but also how they work. It isn't terribly difficult material but there are a lot of topics to cover and some require in depth working knowledge. But, again, it just comes down to dedicating enough time and energy to studying in order to learn the material.

Good luck!
22 comments|128 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 21, 2012
One of the first things you will notice in the book is that it gives a table to help calculate your time of study required. This is very helpful in planning a schedule and setting an exam date. After taking the exam there only seemed to be a handful of questions that were not covered by the material and these could have been unscored seed questions.

The number of acronyms that you must know for the exam is huge. This book includes them and the practice exams will test you on your ability to remember what they are. There are many tables in the book and you need to know this information. For example, know the different types of cabling and connectors, along with their properties. There are vast numbers of diagrams and pictures in the book to help you understand and visualize the information that is being presented.

I found the book to be a fairly easy read. The images and diagrams help to break up the pages a lot better than books that take the wall-of-text approach. Personally, I found that reading 20-45 minutes at a time worked very well and most chapters would take 2-3 such sessions.

I have 8 years of experience in the IT field, mostly Windows server and desktop support. I left the field about 4 years ago. I read this book twice, one month between reads. I also took both practice exams twice. My total time was 46 hours of preparation. I scored 860 on the exam.

If you are new to the field I would still suggest a second text as it often helps to have the material presented in multiple ways. I can not suggest any other books as I have not read any besides this one.
on March 11, 2013
I read this book in 3 weeks, studied for an additional week with the included practice exams from Measureup and passed the Network+ exam with a 90%! I do work in the IT field and had a few years of experience prior to taking the exam and reading this book, but I feel like even the most novice reader would have no trouble at all passing the exam after reading this. Everything is clearly explained and Mike points out certain sections which can be skipped over if you are only wanting to learn what is relevant to the exam. One of the things I liked the most about this book is that you learn real information and not just what you need to pass the exam (although you can read just those sections if you so desire). There are several exam tips highlighted throughout each chapter as you read so you can be sure of what to know when you take the exam. There are 10 multiple choice questions and answers at the end of each chapter so you can check yourself to make sure you read everything. I did all of them immediately after reading the chapter and then went back and re-read anything I missed. The practice exams from Measureup are very valuable. It comes with 2 of them and they are very close to the questions you will see on the Network+ exam. I've read several IT exam books in the past and none of them even come close to the quality of this book. I recommend this to anyone who is looking to pass the Network+ exam or is just wanting to learn more about networking itself. Way to go Mike, thanks for such a great book!
on September 24, 2014
I am an engineer not in IT/IS currently looking to make a career move to this field. I had an idea about networking from fumbling my way through several SOHO design and installs (book content right there!). This helped me fill in gaps and extend my own practical knowledge in the field. I passed the test with one read of the book and utilizing the provided practice exams. If you pair the book with access to a computer and home router to play on, you can crush the exam. Beyond the content, the authors writing style keeps your attention, unlike a security+ book I am using by another author...
on August 23, 2012
Network+ by Mike Meyers is right on the money. In my opinion, the 682-page book is well laid out, well written and covers all objectives necessary to pass the Computer Technology Industry Association (CompTIA) Network+ exam. Be advised, however, that Network+ is crammed full of complex, mind-boggling information, so it's not an easy read. It covers everything from from the Open Systems Interconnection (OSI) seven-layer model and the Transmission Control Protocol/Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) model, to network topology, all the way through each network objective and, finally, to building a functional SOHO layout and trouble-shooting a full-fledged network. It's all in the book. It's definitely not light reading and, of course, your success in understanding the material also depends on how much-hands on experience you have. The TIA recommends you have nine to twelve months of actual field experience. But experience isn't absolutely necessary. I have no network experience. Zero. But even so, I had no trouble following Mike's discussion of the subject matter, and I attribute that directly to Mike Meyer's straight foreword and well-organized writing style. He definitely knows how to put together a textbook. I do have one minor criticism. I didn't quite get Mike's explanation of classless CIDR subnetting. I read the section over and over, but it just wouldn't sink in. I got the concept, but the mechanics wouldn't work for me. I finally had to consult other sources.

There are practice exams on the accompanying disk to test your progress. I found those useful. And, if that isn't enough, you can always read Mike's follow-up book, "Mike Meyers' CompTIA Network+ Certification Passport, 4th Edition (Exam N10-005) (CompTIA Authorized)" Since I'm a total beginner to networking, I bought both books from Amazon at the same time. I have read other books by Mike Meyers including CompTIA A+ Certification All-in-One Exam Guide, 8th Edition (Exams 220-801 & 220-802),Mike Meyers' CompTIA A+ Certification Passport, Fourth Edition (Exams 220-701 & 220-702)and CompTIA Strata IT Fundamentals All-in-One Exam Guide (Exam FC0-U41) They were all topnotch. I highly recommend this book to anyone studying for the Network+ exam.
on October 8, 2013
Decent author, and a fair amount of covered material, however, I thoroughly enjoyed Gary Donahue's Network Warrior more so. Meyers includes a lot of historical network references which is a definite plus since that level of detail is rarely published these days, however, if I do not know if the amount of attention given to historical context would be especially helpful for the Network+ exam. It is a challenge to capture everything in copious amounts of detail in one text in the IT world, however, Meyers did a decent job for an entry-level IT certification exam. Like all IT certifications, multiple sources and lots of time to absorb the material would be the best game plan if one does not posses any experience the subject of study. I purchased this title to brush up on Networking so it served my purpose.
on September 6, 2013
I went through this book cover to cover, did all the quizzes & tests, and went through the CD. I then took some practice tests and discovered topics not covered in this course. I got a second book - ExamCram. It covered all the areas missing. Between the two, I liked the ExamCram the best. Put the two together and you can't miss.
on September 12, 2012
I passed the N10-005 with a score of 877/900 after studying for 2 weeks. But it was not because of this book. Although this book is short and not too boring to read, it does not contain all the information to pass the test. There is a ton of information left out from this book so do not rely solely on this book. Go to another source as well such as Professor Messer. There is enough information to just barely pass the exam if you want to risk it. In the end, I was not pleased with this book.
on January 9, 2014
I ordered this book as I failed the test the first time with 672. The first book I was using was the Exam Cram. I combined it with this book and passed yesterday. I took about a week to read this book and then take practice tests, going over the areas that I missed.

This book goes into detail about a lot of topics you will need to know for the test and a whole lot more.

I do not have any prior IT experience besides an Internship. This book combined with the Exam Cram helped me pass the test.

I give it 4 stars because you can't pass the test solely on this book if you have no prior experience.
on March 3, 2014
The book insists that you will be tested on subnetting guaranteed. Not one question was related to subnetting on version of the exam I took. There were interactive diagrams of the 7 network layers, A and B wiring schemes, placing various wireless access points on a floor plan and how do you run a wire to public area reception desk from an office; oddball things like that. The book did not prepare me for those types of questions.