4.0 out of 5 stars Good, but may need more resources
Published on November 23, 2009 by Nanouk

3.0 out of 5 stars Good content overall, but contains numerous errors!
Published on December 3, 2010 by M. Soto

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, but may need more resources, November 23, 2009
This review is from: CompTIA Network+ All-in-One Exam Guide, Fourth Edition (Hardcover)
Having read through this exam guide cover-to-cover, and having over 20 years of networking, internet, and telecommunications experience, this is a solid book for preparations to take the CompTIA Network+ exam. However, if you don't have significant experience in the area of networking or internet, you will need to increase your chances for passing the new 2009 Network+ exam by visiting other sites on the Internet particularly in the following areas:

* subnetting
* network security
* Local area network concepts

These topics can be researched very easily with an advanced Google search on the listed topics.

The rest of the topics for the 2009 CompTIA Network+ exam appear to be adequately covered. Mr. Meyers did an excellent job on the book, and should be commended.

I rate the book: 8 out of 10.

5.0 out of 5 stars Read This Book First, September 5, 2009
OK, I read some sections and skimmed other sections in the Exam guide (Fourth Edition). It is the best of the three latest Network+ guide books that I've read. I wished it was my first. It is well-rounded in emphasis, introducing the subject material in an easy-to-grasp way. There seemed to be enough Mac/Linux info. I liked the well descriptive illustrations. I also liked that the material was not introduced before its time, but was described enough at the right time. This book doesn't have any bullet points at the end of the chapters. Though other exam guides are better to cram with, this guide makes a better introduction.

Of the big three Network+ exam guides out there, this is the best and most reliable. I found very few typos (4), and only three areas of conficting detail info. The good news is that none of the questions/answers in the book or in the one practice exam (50 questions) were found to be wrong (and I did all of them). I would recommend this book over the other 2 that I read.

4.0 out of 5 stars Mike Myers vs Lammle, November 7, 2009
Because of DOD 8570 directive, to keep my present job, I have to pass the Network+ certification. I've worked in the IT industry for 20+ years, however my expertise isn't really related to networking. I have experience with the network, but do not administrate it at all. I bought Lammle's book first. I liked it very well. There are times when he's too vague or over my head with his information. After browsing through the few pages I could see of Myers' book through Google books, it looked to me like he was a little more simple with his explanations. So I bought this book hoping that I could understand places that I couldn't understand with Lammle. The two books work wonderfully together, i think.

While Lammle is straight forward and high level, Myers' clears confusion by bringing it down to my level. The only problem I have with Myer's book is that he gets way too deep into the most simplistic things. I glazed over often when he went into great detail about security and how it works. Yes, security is a vital part of your network, but really I don't want to know the intricate details of how encryption works, I just want to know when and how to use it properly. I could care less about the conversions of a series of ones and zeroes.

And with Lammle's book, I was able to subnet after reading the chapter on it about five times, but I was still struggling with it. He used a term something like 'interesting octect'. I never did get that. I couldn't tell what made any part of the address 'interesting'. I was really hoping Myers's book would clear that up for me. But Myer's lesson on subnetting was horendous. I couldn't follow it and it made absolutely no sense at all. So I'm in the dark for that information. I'm hoping with what I picked up from Lammle that I'm able to get pass any questions on subnetting.

All that being said, I would've been disappointed if this was the only book I bought to get ready for my test. It is good, it just needs more, and more test related information. I did like the way he pointed out exam objectives and included 'Exam Tip' information, but when I try to compare the exam information to the information in Lammle's book, I think Lammle will have more information that I will use in the exam itself. However, he didn't point it out as nicely as Myers' did.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great book, May 2, 2010
I am almost finished with this book, and have been for the most part very pleased with it. Meyers does a great job of explaining things in an easy-to-understand way, while still getting in to the nitty gritty. For the most part, I think the pictures were a tad too simple, but others seem to like them.

I have read Lammle's Network+ 2009 ed book twice, so I have been mentally comparing the two the whole time I have been reading this. First off, I think that over all this book takes first place. It just does a much better job of explaining things, and doesn't introduce too many concepts without actually explaining them (Lammle likes to introduce a topic and then not explain it until much later in the book). I really liked that there were whole chapters dedicated to DNS and IPv6- Lammle's had a just little blurbs for both. This book seemed to do a much better job describing cabling standards as well. Meyers book doesn't seem to have many low points. Lammle's started off strong, but the last, shall we say, quarter of the book felt weak; it felt extremely brief like he was trying to cram a lot of high level information into a small amount of pages. I haven't noticed this while reading Meyers book.

The only areas that I think Lammle tops is routing and subnetting. I tried reading Meyers subnetting section, and it pales in comparison. I also liked how Lammle lets you know early on in the book that hubs are old news, and doesn't waste a lot of time on them, instead hammering away over and over again that switches are king. Meyers book (even if just for simplicity's sake) focused a lot on hubs early on, and kind of gave me the feeling of an outdated networking book.

Bottom line- this is a great book, and will aid in becoming Network+ certified. I'd still suggest taking a peak at Lammle's book, even if just for a few chapters (routing and subnetting). It helps to get information from multiple sources.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good content overall, but contains numerous errors!, December 3, 2010
M. Soto (Ventura County, CA USA) - See all my reviews
I'm studying for my Network+ Exam right now (as we speak), and I wanted to drop a quick note here: Michael Meyers overall does a good job putting out this easy to understand book. The biggest letdown is that there are numerous errors throughout the book. In many places, the text & tables contradict one another. I haven't been listing them all down, but one example is that on page 510, it says that 802.11 Wi-Fi topped out at 2Mbps. Then, on page 513, the quick-ref sheet shows 802.11 at 11Mbps? I have to say, it's a little frustrating. I believe I've counted 5-10 such errors throughout the book. These errors temper my enthusiasm for the book.

Good luck on the exam!

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to read and did the job., April 19, 2011
I started studying for the N+ (N10-004) in the beginning of March using Prof Messer and Testout. After my brother who is studying for CCNA put me through a pop quiz while I was 3/4 through that routine it became apparent that those two routes didn't give me the results I was looking for. At the end of March I ordered the All-In-One and today (19th of April) I passed the N+.

I found it takes about 1 day per chapter (18 chapters) on a working Dad's schedule which translates into roughly 25-50 pages a night. I found the book to be lacking in the detail you will probably need to actually do the job in some areas with entire segments of technology sometimes getting a mere paragraph of explanation but it appears that Meyers knows what he is doing because not one of those glossed sections came up on the test. Out of 100 questions there were 2 that I couldn't remember being addressed in Meyer's book. I would recommend this book for exam purposes. Final score 862/900.

5.0 out of 5 stars Its a wonderful Book!, June 20, 2011
I bought this item at the end of January from Amazon, the reason I decided to get this exact book is I am A+ certified and I used a Mike Meyers A+ book to pass, who is also the author of this Network+ book, so it was a logical choice for me to take this book. So anyways, long story short, I normally don't review these IT books until I take the exam and get my score, and well I passed on my first attempt! I am someone who has no networking background, so obviously I did a little extra studying and preparing. There are some things that other reviewers touch on that I feel I need to bring up.

First of all, a lot of people here keep mentioning you need to know subnetting, while this is indeed true for later on when you gets certs such as the CCNA, I only got one question regarding Subnets or Subnetting on my exam. I think that you have to truly take his advice, in the first chapter of Mike Myers book he says to make sure you read the book twice. This is what I did, and it helped me a real lot to remember, everything that I missed on the first read through was memorized very well. If I had read the book once, did the chapter review questions, and then taken the exam I would have failed, there is no question about it. Basically just heed this warning, make sure you reread the book if you have no Networking experience, if you do have networking experience, one read through should be enough.

I scored a 750, not a huge pass considering that the minimum score to pass is 720 but a pass is a pass. I am also the type of person I am a memorizer, I do not take notes I just reread and continue to look back at the same concepts, until it sinks in. Overall, this is a great book especially for people who are only entering networking, and trying to get a sniff of the IT field. If you have experience I think this book will also be good for you, however be aware that this book in many parts the author is practically holding your hand, and guiding you through, so it may be frustrating if you already know this stuff. I heard Lammle's book is better for those who have experience in the field. Overall, I give this book a good recommendation, and feel that as long as you read the concepts, and do the chapter review questions you will be in great hands. Don't hesitate to pick this one up!

5.0 out of 5 stars Very useful., October 5, 2009
Purchased this item, read through and studied from it for two weeks, and took the exam. Passed with an 885. I did have prior networking experience, but you are supposed to when you pursue the Network+. If you have any working knowledge of networking, this book is all you need to pass the exam.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Book, Below Average CD, November 30, 2009
Fantastic book with great explanations that include helpful drawings. It covers everything you need to know in an easily-readable fashion. I would have given this book 5 stars hands down, but the test engine in the book was not good. It has good questions but only 1 practice test and one regular test. I found out there are only 50 questions loaded and it shuffles them for the different tests. I did pass the Network+ first try but I was very nervous due to the lack of questions I had. I would recommend using additional software or focusing heavily on the in-book questions. The CD questions are very good; there just aren't many of them.

4.0 out of 5 stars Go ahead and add this one to your cart., June 30, 2010
My background: I am a network administrator for a very large DoD network. To prepare for the N+ exam I read this book and took a few online practice tests. The book itself is very thorough and uses humor to explain certain concepts. I think it is far more entertaining to read than some books from other competitors are. As we all know, if a book actively engages you it is easier to comprehend the subject matter. You can throw the CD it comes with in the trash because it is worthless (unless you like to read e-books). The N+ exam tests you on a very broad spectrum of topics and this book does a great job of covering the information in enough detail to enable you to pass.

CompTIA Network+ All-in-One Exam Guide, Fourth Edition
CompTIA Network+ All-in-One Exam Guide, Fourth Edition by Michael Meyers (Hardcover - May 21, 2009)
Used & New from: $0.01