5.0 out of 5 stars Can't go wrong with this one
Published on February 16, 2012 by miguel

2.0 out of 5 stars Readable, but annoying
I've read a little over two-thirds of this book in preparation for the test, and the thing that annoys me the most is that it's poorly written. It seems Mr. Lammle knows his subject matter, but he presents it poorly and makes mistakes. There are numerous typos and strangly worded sentences.

For example, he comes off as condescending in some paragraphs, using...
Published on May 30, 2012 by A. Pedersen

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't go wrong with this one, February 16, 2012
This review is from: CompTIA Network+ Study Guide Authorized Courseware: Exam N10-005 (Paperback)
As a long time electronics tech with some previous telecommunications experience (and a recent A+), but little in networking, I had the patience, time, and luxury of reading 4 books on the subject. His is my favorite. Lammle's rather lengthy but quite readable, and at times entertaining book has the space to more than adequately elaborate on the various concepts. I especially liked the tables he presented which explained concepts such as the various protocols in a very intuitive and insightful manner. His book has no CD, but contains a generous 500 questions. The one thing this book lacked was a glossary, which I feel is rather indispensable, but other books I read had them. The way to study to pass the Network+ exam is to learn networking, and the author succeeds very well at teaching it. At any rate, unless you feel you're an expert on the subject I would suggest you study at least one other source, as no single source can tell you everything there is to know, and it will give you the perspective of seeing the way networking is presented from the point of view of more than one person.

2.0 out of 5 stars Readable, but annoying, May 30, 2012

For example, he comes off as condescending in some paragraphs, using terms like "obviously". His explanation of IPSec transport and tunneling modes is confusing and seems to be explaining the same thing: "transport mode creates a secure tunnel between two devices end to end", and "in tunnel mode, the tunnel is created between two endpoints".

In the chapter on wireless, he promises to explain modulation techniques such as OFDM and DSSS, but doesn't. He makes crucial mistakes in the chapter on "Authentication and Access Control" by confusing symmetrical and asymmetrical public keys. On page 387 he writes: "When the keys at each end are different, it is called symmetrical or public key." That is wrong. It is asymmetrical keying if the keys at each end are different.

The early chapters don't offer much in the way of definition or context. Terms like "contention media-access" and "ethernet segment" will be thrown at you without any explanation.

Some of the review questions don't make any sense. For example, one of the answers for a chapter 5 question reads: "Any two or more devices the switch connects have are capable of causing a collision with each other." Another question refers to Hubs, Repeaters, NIC's, and Switches as "terms", rather than devices or equipment.

Overall, if you are bright enough, or experienced enough, you'll be able to overlook some of these problems and the book will teach you something. Otherwise, I'd recommend other Network+ study guides.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple...Read and you WILL pass the N10-005, February 24, 2012
Fantastic book! A lot of material I came across during my exam prep was convoluted, quite dry, and overall, poorly written. The new Lammle 2nd edition Network + Study Guide was VERY straight forward, covered all exam topics, and was fun to read. He covers everything you'll see on your exam. Lammle really does a stellar job explaining addressing and routing, TCP/IP fundamentals, WLAN connectivity, and LAN network cable media and connectors. Overall, after reading this book I had a very strong understanding of TCP/IP and how it is structured and used to route traffic from source to destination across multiple intermediary points. He also does a great job explaining various other protocols directly connected to the suite including UDP, ICMP and their functions and purposes. After reading this study guide, I'm now confident in networking fundamentals and now have the core knowledge I need to progress in this field. Oh yeah, forgot to mention...PASSED my N10-005!!!!!!!!!!! =)

3.0 out of 5 stars Very well written, but some downgrades and false advertising, July 15, 2012
I purchased the previous edition of this book to use it as a reference while I was taking networking classes. Months later, I decided to take CompTIA's Network + exam. Having appreciated the original book, I decided to buy this updated newer edition that coincides with CompTIA's newer N10-005 exam.

The Good:
Just like the last edition, this book is well written and clear. It's all too easy to make technical writing boring, but I think author Todd Lammle worked hard to make his writing accessible and readable. He's clearly a networking expert. This is not to say it's elementary. You will need to have a fair understanding of networking, or at a least technical aptitude, to make sense of it. But that's what you would expect when studying for a technical certification.

I've also got to praise the book for few typos and errors. This is also something that's not too common in the fast world of technology publishing. Finally, the illustrations and diagrams in the book provide an excellent way to understand the concepts.

The Bad:
Unfortunately, you get less from this book then you do with the last edition. The last edition had the entire PDF of the textbook with it. I enjoyed reading it on my laptop and being able to search for specific topics. This newer book doesn't even include a CD anymore.

In fact, much of the features advertised on the cover aren't even included in the book. The "custom test engine" and "electronic flashcards" must be downloaded from the website. Plus, you must "register" to access it. What if this content is taken down from the web server in the future?

Strangely, one of the items that you must download is the glossary. It's not in the hard-copy book at all. That's very inconvenient.

One other thing that annoyed me was that the book advertises two "full-length" practice exams. In reality, each practice exam is just half (50 questions) of what makes up a real exam. This is disappointing because practice questions are very helpful in preparing for the exam.

Additional Comments:
If you're wondering, I did pass the Network + certification after my first try after reading this book. I also studied the "Network + Cram Exam". I would recommend studying from at least two books in a concentrated time-span for any CompTIA exam. It helps to reinforce your knowledge and the authors explain concepts differently. Also, make sure you understand all of the practice questions.

4.0 out of 5 stars Used this book to pass, November 15, 2012
I just passed my Network+ exam a couple of hours ago.

Lammle's book was my primary study resource. I read it cover-to-cover and took notes like a madman.

I also hunted and pecked my way through Mike Meyers Network+ All-In-One, as well as the ExamCram Network+.

I hit the Lammle book the hardest for one reason -- Networking education is his wheelhouse. His explanation of subnetting is concise and beautifully done. That alone is worth buying the book for.

However, if I had to offer one criticism it would be that Lammle's practice exams were a bit too soft.

The Mike Meyers book had better test questions and better artwork -- diagrams, graphics, etc.

If you can afford both, get them. The ExamCram book was also helpful in narrowing down what to memorize in the last week of studying.

I spent two months prepping for the test. I already have my A+ so I knew what to expect from a CompTIA exam.

I found the test to be challenging. Others have written in their reviews that they waltzed right through it. That was not my experience.

Best of luck.

4.0 out of 5 stars Please Read! An honest Review!, December 31, 2013
Okay so you really want to know if the material in the book is accurate with what you will be tested on. I just took the exam and passed it using this book! The topics are explained in an easy to understand manner. Some material I saw in the book I didn't see on the exam. The book does miss some information, and the eletronic prep tools included with the book have errors. Quite a few! I used the book for 80% of my preparation. I did use a few resources out there to verify the validity of this book. I can't give it 5 stars because some things this book showed me prove there were flaws. I studied until I got tired of the material. This book will help you get ready and pass. Plain and simple. Don't use unapproved tools, this one is good enough. BTW I already had A+ and a little formal training on the Networking Topic.

4.0 out of 5 stars Helped Me Pass the Exam, November 8, 2012
This book is really beneficial is you want to pass the Network+ exam. The chapters are in an order that builds upon the last so you're always learning new things while progressing your knowledge of what you learned in the previous chapter. As is the case with most of these certification books, I feel like there could have been more accurate and detailed sample questions. The difference between the questions in this book and on the actual exam differ quite a bit. For example, the exam will present a very specific scenario instead of asking general questions like the book. I can't complain too much because, in the end, the book helped me achieve my certification.

3.0 out of 5 stars Usable, but could be better, September 12, 2014
I'd like to preface my comments with the fact that I am a former technology teacher and an author. Mr. Lammle is definitely a networking expert. It shows in this guide. Coverage of the material is good and seems to generally strike the proper level of detail for preparing for the exam. An entire chapter is dedicated to subnetting, for example, and it's good because it requires practice to master.

There are many instances where it shows that he is not a teacher by trade. Some sections barely touch on a point which show up in the review questions or the labs or important information is hidden amongst extraneous details. In each set of review questions or lab questions, there is at least one poorly-worded question which is difficult to answer even if you know the material. At the same time, there are some questions which require critical thinking or application of information, which is commendable.

I would not recommend using this as your only study source, but it will work as one of a group of materials.

5.0 out of 5 stars Covers a lot of ground..., July 21, 2013
Donald M Jackson (Chattanooga, Tennessee USA) - See all my reviews
This book treats the subject of networking in a very thorough manner. Even though at times it seems to go into greater detail than is necessary, I think Lammle's approach is the right one. It's not a brain dump with the only objective being to pass the Network+ exam. He takes the time to try and fill in the blanks so that you understand the subject matter. You will find this book a useful tool in passing the Network+ exam.

4.0 out of 5 stars Relatively solid, January 14, 2013
Like virtually every textbook, particularly those focused on computer technology, it contained its fair share of errors however overall it was a decent textbook and a positive purchase. In a perfect world the book would be more vigorously proofread to reduce the number of errors. And the figures would be on the same page as the citations so the reader doesn't have to flip back and forth through the pages from text to figures to text to figures... as figures/tables/graphs are cited.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

CompTIA Network+ Study Guide Authorized Courseware: Exam N10-005
CompTIA Network+ Study Guide Authorized Courseware: Exam N10-005 by Todd Lammle (Paperback - January 30, 2012)
$49.99 $25.00