Facility Spring Cleaning BDD_MSW16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_cbcc_7_fly_beacon $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Made in Italy Amazon Gift Card Offer out2 out2 out2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors Kindle Paperwhite Spring Arrivals in Outdoor Clothing STEM

Format: Paperback|Change

on February 16, 2012
As a long time electronics tech with some previous telecommunications experience (and a recent A+), but little in networking, I had the patience, time, and luxury of reading 4 books on the subject. His is my favorite. Lammle's rather lengthy but quite readable, and at times entertaining book has the space to more than adequately elaborate on the various concepts. I especially liked the tables he presented which explained concepts such as the various protocols in a very intuitive and insightful manner. His book has no CD, but contains a generous 500 questions. The one thing this book lacked was a glossary, which I feel is rather indispensable, but other books I read had them. The way to study to pass the Network+ exam is to learn networking, and the author succeeds very well at teaching it. At any rate, unless you feel you're an expert on the subject I would suggest you study at least one other source, as no single source can tell you everything there is to know, and it will give you the perspective of seeing the way networking is presented from the point of view of more than one person.
on May 30, 2012
I've read a little over two-thirds of this book in preparation for the test, and the thing that annoys me the most is that it's poorly written. It seems Mr. Lammle knows his subject matter, but he presents it poorly and makes mistakes. There are numerous typos and strangly worded sentences.

For example, he comes off as condescending in some paragraphs, using terms like "obviously". His explanation of IPSec transport and tunneling modes is confusing and seems to be explaining the same thing: "transport mode creates a secure tunnel between two devices end to end", and "in tunnel mode, the tunnel is created between two endpoints".

In the chapter on wireless, he promises to explain modulation techniques such as OFDM and DSSS, but doesn't. He makes crucial mistakes in the chapter on "Authentication and Access Control" by confusing symmetrical and asymmetrical public keys. On page 387 he writes: "When the keys at each end are different, it is called symmetrical or public key." That is wrong. It is asymmetrical keying if the keys at each end are different.

The early chapters don't offer much in the way of definition or context. Terms like "contention media-access" and "ethernet segment" will be thrown at you without any explanation.

Some of the review questions don't make any sense. For example, one of the answers for a chapter 5 question reads: "Any two or more devices the switch connects have are capable of causing a collision with each other." Another question refers to Hubs, Repeaters, NIC's, and Switches as "terms", rather than devices or equipment.

Overall, if you are bright enough, or experienced enough, you'll be able to overlook some of these problems and the book will teach you something. Otherwise, I'd recommend other Network+ study guides.
99 comments|45 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 24, 2012
Fantastic book! A lot of material I came across during my exam prep was convoluted, quite dry, and overall, poorly written. The new Lammle 2nd edition Network + Study Guide was VERY straight forward, covered all exam topics, and was fun to read. He covers everything you'll see on your exam. Lammle really does a stellar job explaining addressing and routing, TCP/IP fundamentals, WLAN connectivity, and LAN network cable media and connectors. Overall, after reading this book I had a very strong understanding of TCP/IP and how it is structured and used to route traffic from source to destination across multiple intermediary points. He also does a great job explaining various other protocols directly connected to the suite including UDP, ICMP and their functions and purposes. After reading this study guide, I'm now confident in networking fundamentals and now have the core knowledge I need to progress in this field. Oh yeah, forgot to mention...PASSED my N10-005!!!!!!!!!!! =)
on July 15, 2012
I purchased the previous edition of this book to use it as a reference while I was taking networking classes. Months later, I decided to take CompTIA's Network + exam. Having appreciated the original book, I decided to buy this updated newer edition that coincides with CompTIA's newer N10-005 exam.

The Good:
Just like the last edition, this book is well written and clear. It's all too easy to make technical writing boring, but I think author Todd Lammle worked hard to make his writing accessible and readable. He's clearly a networking expert. This is not to say it's elementary. You will need to have a fair understanding of networking, or at a least technical aptitude, to make sense of it. But that's what you would expect when studying for a technical certification.

I've also got to praise the book for few typos and errors. This is also something that's not too common in the fast world of technology publishing. Finally, the illustrations and diagrams in the book provide an excellent way to understand the concepts.

The Bad:
Unfortunately, you get less from this book then you do with the last edition. The last edition had the entire PDF of the textbook with it. I enjoyed reading it on my laptop and being able to search for specific topics. This newer book doesn't even include a CD anymore.

In fact, much of the features advertised on the cover aren't even included in the book. The "custom test engine" and "electronic flashcards" must be downloaded from the website. Plus, you must "register" to access it. What if this content is taken down from the web server in the future?

Strangely, one of the items that you must download is the glossary. It's not in the hard-copy book at all. That's very inconvenient.

One other thing that annoyed me was that the book advertises two "full-length" practice exams. In reality, each practice exam is just half (50 questions) of what makes up a real exam. This is disappointing because practice questions are very helpful in preparing for the exam.

Additional Comments:
If you're wondering, I did pass the Network + certification after my first try after reading this book. I also studied the "Network + Cram Exam". I would recommend studying from at least two books in a concentrated time-span for any CompTIA exam. It helps to reinforce your knowledge and the authors explain concepts differently. Also, make sure you understand all of the practice questions.
on November 15, 2012
I just passed my Network+ exam a couple of hours ago.

Lammle's book was my primary study resource. I read it cover-to-cover and took notes like a madman.

I also hunted and pecked my way through Mike Meyers Network+ All-In-One, as well as the ExamCram Network+.

I hit the Lammle book the hardest for one reason -- Networking education is his wheelhouse. His explanation of subnetting is concise and beautifully done. That alone is worth buying the book for.

However, if I had to offer one criticism it would be that Lammle's practice exams were a bit too soft.

The Mike Meyers book had better test questions and better artwork -- diagrams, graphics, etc.

If you can afford both, get them. The ExamCram book was also helpful in narrowing down what to memorize in the last week of studying.

I spent two months prepping for the test. I already have my A+ so I knew what to expect from a CompTIA exam.

I found the test to be challenging. Others have written in their reviews that they waltzed right through it. That was not my experience.

Best of luck.
on November 8, 2012
This book is really beneficial is you want to pass the Network+ exam. The chapters are in an order that builds upon the last so you're always learning new things while progressing your knowledge of what you learned in the previous chapter. As is the case with most of these certification books, I feel like there could have been more accurate and detailed sample questions. The difference between the questions in this book and on the actual exam differ quite a bit. For example, the exam will present a very specific scenario instead of asking general questions like the book. I can't complain too much because, in the end, the book helped me achieve my certification.
on January 2, 2016
This book was extremely helpful in helping me understand the fundamental concepts of networking. As someone who was doing everything self study, I can honestly say that this book played a major role in me passing the exam. I would recommend this book to anyone who is a beginner and trying to understand the basic concepts along with passing the exam.
on September 25, 2012
After looking at some of the unnecessarily harsh criticisms, I wanted to add a positive experience with this book. Aside from some of the previously mentioned awkwardness and occasional typos, the merits and strengths far outweigh the scant negatives. If anything, the book provides too MUCH information for the Network+. Some of the foundational material will likely be of some use for those looking ahead to the CCNA. I aced the Net+ and found that I had been more than prepared for it with this book (and the additional Practice questions by Darril Gibson). This text is thorough and accessible. If you review and retain the information that Mr. Lammle specifically calls out (both throughout the chapters and the summaries) you WILL find success on the Network+ with this text. Good investment for a pricey test, and I have already purchased additional texts by Mr. Lammle.
on January 8, 2013
I love reading on my Kindle. But when I tried to study for Network + on the Kindle, it didn't work for me--the labs and chapter review questions were much easier for me to work with after I bought a physical copy of this book. Consider buying the hardcover "deluxe" version--it includes a network simulator, practice exams, flash cards, and electronic copies of the book in three formats (pdf, epub, and Kindle).
on June 19, 2015
Can be hard to read at points. Commonly will say "Here is a dozen acronyms that mean a bunch of different things... but don't worry about those as I will talk about it in Chapter 5"... which can be confusing.

It does has tons of info and most chapters need to be read multiple times to absorb the knowledge, so also using video tutorials and other study methods to supplement.