Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: CompTIA A+ Practice Questions Exam Cram (Essentials, Exams 220-602, 220-603, 220-604) (2nd Edition)
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM

on August 14, 2008
I have used a lot of material to prepare myself for the CompTia A+ 601 en 602 exams (IT technician). This book stands out above all the others I have used in the practise exam department. The format is about the same as on the real exam, the questions are a little more difficult then on the real exam. The explanation of the answers are outstanding and give great insight in the material. Don't spend a little fortune on all sorts of practise exams (like I did), this book is the best and is enough. If you still want more, take a look at MeasureUp practise exams. Advice: take all the exam questions in the book and don't limit yourself to the questions that have do with the exams you are going to take. There is a lot of overlap between the exams.

After reading a lot of stuff I will only use ExamCram books in the future for preparing for IT exams; in my opinon they are the best.

I passed mid july both exams on the first attempt: 601: 735/900 and 602: 820/900.
on March 23, 2008
I used three different books as practice aids before taking the test. This book's questions came the closest to the difficulty and format of the actual test. The questions are, however, slightly more difficult than the actual test. This is good because if you do decently in this book, you will be fine for the real thing. Therefore, if you buy only one book, this should be it. I did not have a chance to try out the included CD, but if it is anything like the printed tests, it will be excellent and likely more convenient than the printed questions.
on October 18, 2008
This book is great practice for the A+ exams but it does contain errors. I have also studied the 'All-in-one' A+ by Mike Meyers and his 'Passport' text as well. I passed the essentials exam no problem. However, I failed the 602 'IT Tech' exam twice. Yes it hurts. I went back into the passport and this text to look for subject matter on firewall ports- tested heavely on the first 602 exam I took and I couldn't find the answers I was looking for. Also tested heavely on the 602 was paths to applications and menus. Not so well covered in this text. I do recommend it for study but nothing beats real world experience (which I am lacking). Good luck to you on your test. I re-test in 30 days...
on June 25, 2008
I was able to get a good grasp of what to expect on the A+ exam through this book. The only reason I can't give it more than 3 stars is because a lot of the answers I came across were a matter of semantics, and even sometimes wrong. On a few occasions the book contradicted itself in the answers. "What services do ALL ISPs offer to customers?" Answer: "Services that MOST isps offer.." et cetera.

And in one question, it also recommended a surge protector over a UPS for power interruptions, which left me staring at a wall for a good ten minutes trying to determine in which dimension of reality that would be true. Both of these bogus questions were presented to me in one run through the accompanied MeasureUp software, which was pretty frustrating.

Overall it's a pretty good book. Buy it if you can get it cheap, but don't bank your exam on it
on February 20, 2009
I bought this to study for my A+ test. The book and CD do have a similiar format to the actual test you will take. However I used the CD way more then the book. After awhile of taking the practice test I noticed some of the test questions do not match what I was reading on other study books I had purchased. As another reviewer stated. There are several wrong answers. Also some of the questions are worded in ways that make no sense. You only pick up on this after you have been learning for awhile. If you can get this used and cheap go for it. Don't bother paying full price. Transcender.com is a much better product. But they do charge more. It is a classic example of you get what you pay for.
on March 2, 2009
Over half to three-quarters of all these test will be on your A+ test. If you can answer the questions without looking at the answers in the back then you are ready to go take the test. I highly recommend you buy this book if you are to take the A+ test.
on August 1, 2008
I highly recommend getting these practice questions as they are closer to the real exam. You can use the paper questions or CD and test yourself on the computer. If you do good on these exam questions, you will pass the A+ exams as the Exam Cram questions are more complex in nature, but it helps you with understanding. I would recommend this with the Sybex A+ book.
on May 15, 2008
to pass the a+, i primarily used the mike meyers book (school) and various internet resources. I found this book extremely helpful. I bought it the week before I took the essentials exam and went through it completely. Probably wouldn't have passed without it. Very good questions for the most part and the explanations make it more than just practice.
on June 13, 2009
This book will definitely prepare you for the A+ exam but there are some incorrect answers in the book which can confuse you if you know that they are wrong. Overall good study material but I did not use this as my only source. Still it was good just a few wrong answers..
on February 22, 2010
I gave this 4 stars because of a few things:

1. I could not find anywhere in the book where the chapters were broken down by exam. To get an A+ certification, you need to pass the A+ Essentials and one of the three others (220-602, 220-603 or 220-604). I wanted to just study the sections covering the 603 exam, but the book did not specify which chapters or sections are covered on the 603 exam. I read the entire book just to get a general basic knowledge, which I would recommend anyway.

2. There were a lot of mis-spellings which is a pet peeve of mine. Most were easy to figure out what they meant, but one mis-spelling was on a exam question asking what CDKDSK /R does. They meant "CHKDSK /R", but I knew what they meant. Beginners may not know and become confused.

The practice exams are pretty good, but I would not rely completely on them. For the A+ essentials, I found a free 180+ question exam online that really helped out. For the 603 exam, I took the practice test several times until I could answer all 80 questions and only miss 1 or 2. I also found another book, via bittorrent and used those study questions. I felt pretty confident and got a 845/900.

To prepare, I did the following:

1. Read the entire book, cover to cover (probably not necessary) over about a 4 month period.
2. Made sure I could answer all 80 review questions for each practice test and only miss 1 or 2.
3. I took the test on a Saturday. Starting the previous Monday, I spent about 2 hours every night going over review questions and making sure I knew the answers and why they were right. Don't just limit yourself to this book's questions, google stuff, you can find other sample test questions. Anything helps.
4. I already have about 5 years experience in IT. I would say 50% of the questions on the test, I knew from studying, 35% that I didn't know from studying, I knew from hands on work experience and the other 15% I could eliminate 2 of the 4 answers just from a combination of study and experience.