5.0 out of 5 stars I PASSED USING THIS KIT!
Published on April 9, 2008 by SMcG

3.0 out of 5 stars Not the only study material you will need
I have a few certification including CompTIA A+,Network+ and Inet+. This is the first certification test I have not passed the first time. It is also the first where I only used one source for my studies. That may be my fault. I found the books in this set missed key areas I was tested on. I actually thought after taking the exam I purchased an out of date book...
Published on June 18, 2008 by D. Miller

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars I PASSED USING THIS KIT!, April 9, 2008
SMcG (Boston, MA) - See all my reviews
I highly recommend this kit to anyone preparing to take the Security+ exam. I did it by reading the entire Security+ Study Guide while testing myself chapter by chapter using the CDs test engine (also included on the CD is the entire book in PDF format which can be quite convenient). Then I moved onto the Fast Pass book which reinforced what I already knew from the previous book. Also included in the Fast Pass book is another CD with a test engine on it (unfortunately no pdf of the book on this one though). That's really all I did. I studied for about 8-10 hours a day for about 11 days and on day 12 took the exam and passed; I'm now a CompTIA Security+ certified IT Professional!

5.0 out of 5 stars Does The Job, February 19, 2009
This review is from: CompTIA Security+ Certification Kit: SY0-201 (Paperback)
I just got back from my exam and passed with an 850 (out of 900 I believe). I used no other study materials other than these books and CDs, although I had some prior knowledge in the area of penetration testing (though no job experience).

My approach was this:

Read each chapter of the study guide. Do the 10 questions at the end of the chapter. If there are areas you seem to be having trouble with, go back and review them.

Read the entire review guide.

Take the assessment tests on the CDs and review weak areas until you are getting scores in the 90s.

Right before the exam, read all the "exam objectives" in the review guide and make sure you understand them (takes a little over an hour).

I never opened the Street Smarts book.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not the only study material you will need, June 18, 2008

I have used Sybex as one of my study guides on prior exams but in this case it was not enough. I personally think the package is great and found no errors but I do not think this series is up to par with their other Certification kits. It covers more than what is on the exam and at the same time totally misses other areas.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not just good for Certification but good for daily use as well, March 29, 2010
This review is from: CompTIA Security+ Certification Kit: SY0-201 (Paperback)
this Book Series was a great tool to study for the SY0-201 Certification test and its a valuable asset to use on a daily basis if you are in the IT field of security. I use it for just about everything around the office, i even use it to brush up on old tricks of the trade that i learned a long time ago that are now in the updated books. they are easy to read and well put together, i tend to loose interest in books after a while but i never got bored of this series. i would definately recomend this product for those trying to get into the IT field or just to brush up on security knowledge.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great resource that helped me pass along with a few other internet study guide resources, April 27, 2010
TDR (Lancaster, PA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: CompTIA Security+ Certification Kit: SY0-201 (Paperback)
This is a great study resource that helped me prepare for the exam. I would also recommend looking at the flash card resources at Flash Card Certified. They really helped while reading this book. I passed the test the first shot around so the combination of the two must have worked. I would definitely recommend this product to a friend if they were thinking about taking the exam.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not enough to pass the security + exam, November 2, 2008
4Jacks (Norfolk VA) - See all my reviews
Very good book on basic concepts and practice test question. However there are some areas not cover for the exam or the concept is outdated for the 2007 objects. I do recommend this book and the "All In One Security Plus Certification by White" to cover the majority of concepts for the Security Plus exam.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book for passing the Security+, August 10, 2010
This review is from: CompTIA Security+ Certification Kit: SY0-201 (Paperback)
I bought this package as a starting place to pass my Security+ certification. I couldn't put the book down. It has amazing references, notes, and practice test in each chapter. I was able to read the entire book in 2 weeks. Now, i'm on to the CD-ROM to practice. Great product.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Starting Point for Passing Security+, December 27, 2010
This review is from: CompTIA Security+ Certification Kit: SY0-201 (Paperback)
I have a long history using Sybex textbooks, testing & certification kits and purchased the CompTIA Security+ Certification Kit (SY0-201) based on previous positive experiences with Sybex products. I'm happy to report that using this certification kit (and some additional resources) I was able to easily pass the exam scoring 880/900. Generally I would classify this kit as "excellent" though I did find some of the included material to be superfluous.

The meat of this kit is the CompTIA Sec+ Study Guide that is neatly organized and generally concise. Each chapter begins with an overview then dives into the topics in an intelligent and logical arrangement. The conclusion of each chapter features approximately 20 review questions that you should be able to answer. The study guide also includes a fantastic glossary and index that make looking up terms and chapters those terms are in an easy task. I read the study guide cover-to-cover twice. The first time through I concentrated on reading and highlighting what I felt were important topics. At the conclusion of each chapter I reviewed the questions at the end and pressed on to the next chapter. After completely reading the book once I then dived into the CD with flash-card like questions that pepper you with questions you're likely to see on the exam. After getting comfortable with the flash cards I read the study guide again, taking notes and focusing more on the review questions and topics covered in the flash cards. At this point I also used the included review guide which is equally well written and concise.

The Street Smarts Guide is something that I found altogether unnecessary and I only briefly looked over it before I abandoned it.

Ultimately I found this kit to be very helpful in learning a broad range of topics. Many of these topics I was intimately familiar with and some I was not. You're likely to encounter some information in this guide that doesn't appear on the test but it's good general knowledge and pertains to the overall topic of Computer Security. I used this kit in conjunction with a quick review guide that one of my coworkers put together. My advice is to focus keenly on topics like types of attacks/intrusions, infrastructure and connectivity, monitoring and intrusion detection systems, securing networks, cryptography basics and knowing pertinent port numbers by heart.

After taking the exam I realized that I had mentally hyped up the Security+ exam to be more than it actually is. If you're an IT professional you likely already know much of the material covered. Also many of the topics covered in the book only need to be known on a very broad level. The cryptography section for example can be a bit overwhelming but when taken with the realization that you don't need to know technical specifics it becomes very manageable.

This cert kit is well worth the money and recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good base material, December 28, 2009
This review is from: CompTIA Security+ Certification Kit: SY0-201 (Paperback)
The Security+ Study Guide contains good material for this exam; as others have noted, alone it is not sufficient.

I used this book (did not open the included review guide or Street Smarts book), in conjunction with the Security+ All-In-One Exam Guide (ISN 0071601279) and Security+ 2008 In Depth (ISBN 1598638130). More detail than you need in the latter 2 volumes, but good background and a foundation for the next certs (CISSP, etc).

Study method was to read through each chapter, highlighting. Once through each book, return and re-read each chapter, typing notes on the topics while reading. Your mileage may vary.

Experience (15+ years as an analyst/programmer/Oracle-MySQL DBA) was definitely a factor in passing this exam, scored 855/900.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent set of books!, August 31, 2009
This review is from: CompTIA Security+ Certification Kit: SY0-201 (Paperback)
As a study guide set for the Security+ exam, I recommend these three together. The biggest problem I have with most "certification guides" is covering of detailed, unimportant topics or covering important ones to the point of dozens of pages of redundancy. The "study guide" book here is a manageable 300 or so pages, a fraction of competitive guides but without the filler. This leaves one book for "review material" and another for the practical stuff. Overall, I'm very pleased with this set of security books.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

CompTIA Security+ Certification Kit: SY0-201
CompTIA Security+ Certification Kit: SY0-201 by James Michael Stewart (Paperback - January 27, 2009)
$99.97 $70.54
In stock but may require an extra 1-2 days to process.