5.0 out of 5 stars Helped me pass on first try.
Published on July 7, 2010 by EGlasheen

3.0 out of 5 stars Good for practice questions only
This book is good if you're looking for some extra practice questions. The chapters are a little brief and don't seem to cover all concepts in great detail like Dulaney's Sybex book or Gibson's book. You should also purchase a question bank outside of this book.
Published on November 24, 2010 by Amazon_user12

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Helped me pass on first try., July 7, 2010
This review is from: CompTIA Security+ Exam Cram (2nd Edition) (Paperback)
Before I purchased this book I was studying CompTIA Security+ All-in-One Exam Guide, CompTIA Security+ Deluxe Study Guide: SY0-201 and VTC ( online tutorials ). While I passed all of the book exams with 90 % + I still failed CompTIA's Security + practice test. The questions on CompTia's practice test were nothing like the test questions in these books. The best I got was a 75%.

As soon I received this book, Exam Cram, I took a week and studied with it. I took the CompTia practice exam and scored 88%. I feel that this book made a big difference.

I took the Security + exam today and passed with an 832 out of 900 on the first try ( 750 was passing). I feel that I would have not passed this test without studying this book.

The actual CompTIA Security + test was similar to the questions in this book. In my opinion the CompTIA test was written by someone with a poor grasp on the english language as it was very misleading. The sentence structure was so bad I thought I failed. To pass this test, understand the concepts as it really tests your knowledge in application not technical.

This is my first CompTIA test.

4.0 out of 5 stars This book is OK if you use other sources, October 22, 2009
This review is from: CompTIA Security+ Exam Cram (2nd Edition) (Paperback)
I purchased this book to pass the security+ exam, I did pass. If this was my only source of information WITH grate certainly I would have failed. The 100 test questions on the CD helped to cover the material in the book had nothing to do with the real security+ exam. Before I took the exam I purchased additional questions from MeasureUP the additional 125 questions cost $109.00 theses questions where not helpful. When I emailed the MeasureUP helpdesk they did not respond. I would only recommend this book as an additional study guide. Purchase other test engines to reinforce the concepts of security+ too much information to cover in one book. In my opinion CompTIA's testing is designed to challenge your reasoning ability, not your memorization of test engines. Know the concepts. The test is a mile wide and an one inch deep.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good secondary study material, May 2, 2009
This review is from: CompTIA Security+ Exam Cram (2nd Edition) (Paperback)
I used the "Sybex CompTIA Security+ Deluxe Study Guide: SY0-201" as my main study material (read it first) and then used this Exam Cram book to supplement it (read it second).

I took the "wear two condoms" approach to studying for this test and over-studied on purpose. It's hard to say if this book is needed as a backup to the Sybex book, but you can never be too safe since the passing score (750) is high on this test. I ended up scoring an 850 out of 900 so I don't mind over-studying.

4.0 out of 5 stars Cliffnotes for the exam, September 1, 2010
This review is from: CompTIA Security+ Exam Cram (2nd Edition) (Paperback)
I used the older version when I took my Security+ exam like 5 years ago. I have not read this book but based on the previous edition, I'll give my HO. at the time, I had some other certs (which have expired or I consider too old be relevant to my life by this point) so I had a very strong background on systems. I used this as one of my main source of study material. Along with some other sources I discovered I successfully pass the exam. I would say if this is your sole source of material, you want to have a very strong background in things if you expect to pass in the first round. if you are using this as the outline to get a quick look to be followed up by more indepth studying the book is well worth it's price. this did make me learn subjects I used to pass the cissp which I took later.

one word of note for the actual exam. when I took it, I saw 4 questions where all 4 answers were wrong and I could explain why they all were wrong! I took the project+ as well and will never take another test from these clowns. for the amount it costs, I assume they could at least spot check their own stuff

5.0 out of 5 stars Love the wording, August 23, 2009
This review is from: CompTIA Security+ Exam Cram (2nd Edition) (Paperback)
I used the book to help study for my Security+ and I passed on the first try. I like the way the book is worded, it has a more relaxed way of wording things which makes it easier to read than other Security+ study books I looked into. That, for me, makes it much easier to study. The content was very professionally laid out and the study CD that came with it was very helpful; it comes with a CD that has a Practice Test program which contains over 100 practice questions.

I would recommend this book to anyone attempting to pass the Security+ on the first try.

4.0 out of 5 stars This book was my main study tool,, August 13, 2010
This review is from: CompTIA Security+ Exam Cram (2nd Edition) (Paperback)
It took me a little over two weeks to read and annotate this book. The chapters are very concise almost to a fault, and I can understand why some found this book to be no help. For me, it helped me pass the test quickly, without having to spend months studying. The lack of in-depth explanations shows in my score of 823 on the first try. Though it's a passing score, I suspect my score would have been higher had I studied from a real textbook. Nevertheless, I'm happy with the success, and this book was indeed a big help. BTW, I noticed a handful of typos in this book,

4.0 out of 5 stars Passed on 1st try, February 2, 2011
AG (San Francisco, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: CompTIA Security+ Exam Cram (2nd Edition) (Paperback)
I spent a total of 5 weeks studying for Security+. I already had A+ & Net+ so I had some background to begin with. I used this book and the question book that is published by the same people and passed on the 1st try. I can't give it 5 stars because there are errors in the software such as marking correct answers as wrong but that was also the case with the Exam Cram A+ book too so I expected it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent exam crammer, June 8, 2014
This review is from: CompTIA Security+ Exam Cram (2nd Edition) (Paperback)
I bought this product back in 2010. Worked great for review, and had lots of practice questions that were on the test. I used this book in combination with CompTIA Security+ Get Certified Get Ahead: SY0-201 Study Guide by Darril Gibson.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very helpful, December 18, 2013
This review is from: CompTIA Security+ Exam Cram (2nd Edition) (Paperback)
Easy to get through and I would recommend it to anyone. I achieved my goal of getting my security plus cert from this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Study Aid, May 16, 2013
This review is from: CompTIA Security+ Exam Cram (2nd Edition) (Paperback)
I would recommend this study aid to anyone taking the Security + certification exam. I was having trouble passing the test and this book gave me the information I needed to pass. Well worth the money.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

CompTIA Security+ Exam Cram (2nd Edition)
CompTIA Security+ Exam Cram (2nd Edition) by Diane Barrett (Paperback - January 1, 2009)
$44.99 $34.16