Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: CompTIA Strata IT Fundamentals All-in-One Exam Guide (Exam FC0-U41)
Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Adele Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM

Format: Hardcover|Change

on October 17, 2011
I liked this book. It was written by IT professionals Scott Jernigan and Mike Meyers and, at over 500 pages cover to cover, it's a great short course if you want to know something about computers, printers, scanners and other modern high-tech gadgets, but you don't necessarily want to be an Information Technology (IT) expert. You'll learn about CPU's, RAM, Motherboards, power supplies, IP addresses, wireless networking, the Internet and system security. And that's only some of the stuff in this comprehensive book. Nothing in depth, of course, but enough to give you a solid foundation. Then, for those who want to test their IT knowledge, there's an official certification exam (Exam FCU-U41) sponsored by the Computing Technology Industry Association (CompTIA). STRATA certification is useful if you're planning on entering the professional IT field as a salesman, user of IT equipment, or in preparation for more advanced CompTIA certifications such as PC, Networking, Security, or even Ethical Hacking. This book and the accompanying CD will definitely get you through the STRATA exam. At the very least, the STRATA certificate will demonstrate your level of interest and commitment to potential employers. And when it comes to landing a job in the current job market, every little bit counts. Read the book and take the exam. CompTIA Strata may open the door to a satisfying and lucrative career. I recommend CompTIA Strata Fundamentals to anyone interested in IT, from amateur tinkerer to budding professional. Oh, by the way. If you read this book and burn a few brain cells memorizing the important points, you will pass the STRATA exam.
on March 6, 2015
As a newbie to IT I needed something that would tell me if this was a viable option and I was not ready for the Comptia A+ test. (the most I've done is upgrade the ram on my home PC)

Enter the Strata. It's designed for people who want to prepare for the A+ exams.

This is how I got a 94% with no formal computer experience:

1. Signed up for the test 30 days out. The deadline gave me structure and momentum. (Buy your test voucher from a separate site like TotalSeminars.com for a discount)
2. I bought these Flash cards (http://tinyurl.com/q3ygkkw) to study the acronyms,
3. Read this book like a novel and completed the end of chapter tests
4. Completed One Practice Test (included on the CD)
5. Went back and reviewed the summaries of each chapter (instead of rereading the entire book)
6. Retook the Chapter Review questions.
7. On Test day I took the entire day off and studied lightly for the 4pm exam.
8. I showed up 30 mins early to sign in.
9. Went through the test once answering the questions as best I could.
10. Went through every question again changing a couple of the answers that I was unsure about.
-After going through it the 2nd time I knew I passed, but was pleasantly surprised to see the 94%.

That's it. Take what you like from this and leave the rest.
on July 23, 2012
I got this book, studied and read, and within 2 weeks took the test and got my certification. You need 49 to pass out of 70 and I got 53. I would be happy but the practice exams that came with the book I got 100% on. With this I will say this book is great, but supplement it with another book so no information is missed.
on April 9, 2014
I just got home from taking the exam and passed with a 93%. I read this book twice before the exam. Some of the exam tips in this book are no longer on the test, but everything that is on the test is in this book and this book will be all you need to take the exam.

The writing was very well done. The author kept it simple to understand for the novice just getting into IT, but is also good for techs that just want to brush up on some things. The author also gives good examples of how things work by illustrations so you can picture how everything plays out. The book is not in color, but that wasn't an issue for me at all.

Bottom line, if you are thinking of taking this exam, get this book!
on March 17, 2014
I own an A+ all in one guide by Myers; its the 701/702 edition (dated). It was wonderful in making it breezy to learn more tech, but not 100% informative of all exam material. For those newbies this is highly recommended! For those who are more knowledgeable I'd say it would be great for priming but maybe not for perfecting your knowledge in preparation, thought this guide isn't all in one; will update my review in due time.
on July 14, 2013
This book would make an excellent high school or college textbook, as it covers IT in simple terms. I read this book, used the included software, and passed the test easily, and have not been around IT to any great degree for over a decade.
on December 20, 2013
I HIGHLY recommend this book for anyone that is getting into the IT field. This book was not only informative, but was essential to me passing my exam. I studied this book for a week and a half, took the practice tests, and passed my exam today with a 95%. The exam is 70 questions with a time limit of 60 minutes.

I ordered the A+ book and am now waiting for that to arrive. With how well-prepared I was because of this book, I am certain that the next book will prepare me to blow the A+ exams out of the water as well!
on March 8, 2014
I wanted to send a very positive review out to the company that I ordered from. The material arrived quicker than it was noted and in pristine condition. This book is a great beginners guide and starting point before moving on to the TIA-A+ material.
Thank you.
on June 5, 2014
For a person who had no IT training before reading this book, I found this book to be easy to understand and I learned a lot from it. In addition to this book, I also studied the Sybex book. Right before I took the test, I went through the practice tests and questions in each book and I passed with a 96%.
The audience for this book are people who have never had any experience with with setting up computer and trouble shooting them. If you even have a small amount of experience with basic IT or a technology enthusiast this book is a waste of your resources.

I do feel as though the content is well written. And the examples are good enough to provide a lay person with a basic idea of IT.

However, most of the information can be Googled. I'd recommend saving your money by just finding the Comptia IT fundamentals objectives (can be found on their site or the comptia sub reddit) and just going through it and jotting down your own notes.

What really bummed me out was that the binding on my book was completely removed from the spine or the text. The book did not have any damage so I assume it originated from the warehouse.

Bottom line, this book is dated and there should be a newer version covering the new Comptia IT fundamentals certification in the next few months. If you feel like you need a book, wait for that one. Otherwise, just Google.